South Beach Diet - Almond milk?

View Full Version : Almond milk?

Bellissa
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I am at mt local library looking though sb cookbooks... Some great recipes so far! I was wondering if Almond milk is allowed on phase one because I prefer if over soy. thanks :D

By the way I am on a successful day 2 of phase one. Been drinking a ton of water... I didn't do that last time. I feel much more on track;)

asphyxia63
06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I think it mostly depends on the ingredients, which differ by brand and variety. I like the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla. No added sugars. Counts toward your nut serving though I think.

QuilterInVA
06-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Soy milk has nutrition similar to milk. Almond milk does not.

CyndiM
06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
unsweetened almond milk (plain, vanilla or chocolate) is allowed in all phases. I don't count it as a nut serving, not enough calories or fat to worry about IMO.

Mmckellen
06-03-2011, 07:34 PM
First, yes you can have it, but make sure to get an unsweetened variety. Second, there are fortified and non-fortified varieties. The non fortified does not really have much in it that's good - it's a substitute for regular milk but that's about it, so go for the fortified kind if you can. Blue Diamond makes a fortified almond milk. Have you tried hemp milk? I just discovered it, so yummy!! Also in fortified and non fortified.

asphyxia63
06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I love the idea of using almond milk and that it doesn't count as my dairy so I can have more milk and yogurt in my day. And if it doesn't have to count as my nut serving that's even better! So what does it count as? Just a few empty calories?
I love soy too. Especially an iced soy milk latte, so good! Think I will look into hemp milk. Is it found refrigerated or on the shelves?

nanjmc
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I heard about almond milk here and I love it, use the blue diamond vanilla unsweetened. It does have a ton of calcium in it, so that is good. I use it with protein shakes and to make oatmeal with. I would say definitely okay for phase 1 but I have no idea where to include it, dairy??? (though it's not)

CyndiM
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't really count it against anything. It's not high carb or high fat so IMO it's just something I can have (I don't think I ever use more than 1.5 c a day though just because that's all I want :) )

K9Owner
06-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi ladies,
ok I have been doing SB last week P1 for 3 days before I went out of town, then restarted it this past tues. until my dh's bday last night (went well food-wise) and now planning to be back on it P1 of course. You guys have me wondering how much dairy I can actually have in a day. I don't know this info and I eat cheese of some sort all day it seems.

cottagebythesea
06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi ladies,
ok I have been doing SB last week P1 for 3 days before I went out of town, then restarted it this past tues. until my dh's bday last night (went well food-wise) and now planning to be back on it P1 of course. You guys have me wondering how much dairy I can actually have in a day. I don't know this info and I eat cheese of some sort all day it seems.

Cheese counts as a protein, rather than a dairy on this plan. And you may have 2 cups of dairy every day. :)

YeahYeah
06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Almond milk tip: get unsweetened chocolate almond milk and add a packet of splenda to each glass. Tastes just like the real thing!!