Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Default Why am I so hungry???

I've been getting in at least 70oz of water a day, I thought drinking water was supposed to help hunger, but after I drink it my stomach still feels physically hungry!

I know there's head hunger, but I don't think that's what it is, unless that can make you feel like your stomach is growling for food.

What is going on??? Please help!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I feel like there are two kinds of hunger -- I'll call them volume hunger and satiety hunger. The volume hunger is the kind that can be thwarted by drinking a lot of water or eating a lot of low-cal veggies (e.g, steamed broccoli). But there is another kind that is best thwarted for me with a small serving of healthy fats. So, I try to include both in each meal -- for example, a large salad (for the volume hunger) dressed with a Tbl of EVOO (for the satiety). Or after a meal of mostly veg and some lean protein, I might follow up with a serving of nuts or 1 Tbl of natural PB. You have to be very careful with serving sizes, but I find they really help me with the second kind of hunger.

There may also be another kind of hunger -- you referred to "head hunger". I find that if I deprive myself of certain things that I stop feeling satisfied even if I'm not hungry per se. For that reason, I've gone back to drinking Crystal Light instead of some of my plain water. Yes, there are plenty of good reasons to give up artificial sugars, but that just wasn't working for me.

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-03-2011 at 05:42 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/196/127

Height: 5'1

I know this post was a month ago, but I know other people are reading so I want to give my input.

About 1-2 weeks ago, I made this pasta myself that tasted delicious (lol). It was very easy to make, too, so it was all I ate.

After a week of eating the same thing over and over again, I noticed the portion sizes increased (lets just say that it's enough for a day, but I'd eat the pasta twice a day). The weird part was, I was hungry all the time! I couldn't control my hunger! The portion kept increasing and I couldn't understand why . Immediately after eating a large plate of pasta (and the plate would be gone quick), I'd still feel hungry!

I went online, did my own research and I realized something: Carbs based on refined grains (I'm quoting someone here) will make you more hungry (I barely ate any proteins and a lot of carbs). I stopped eating the pasta (even though it was delicious but I couldn't eat it anymore) and started dieting for real and made my own diet plan (the same food minus the pasta, except in a smaller portion plus a side dish of vegetables or fruit). I don't feel the hunger anymore. Literally after I stopped eating the pasta, I just don't feel the hunger. Now what I eat is about 1/3 of the size of what I used to eat!
misski is offline   Reply With Quote