General chatter - Casey Anthony: Innocent? Guilty?

View Full Version : Casey Anthony: Innocent? Guilty?

BoxerFit
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone been following this trial as much as I. It sure is interesting,,,who needs to go to the movies??? HA!:joker:

Laura G
06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
I've heard the name, but have no idea what's going on. Can you give me the details? What is he accused of?

BoxerFit
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
She's on trial for the murder of her 2.5 yo Caylee Marie back in 2008.

Lori Bell
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I've heard the name, but have no idea what's going on. Can you give me the details? What is he accused of?

WOW...I bet the Anthony's would have loved to have you in the jury pool. :)

Bebita
06-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Laura G
06-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Ha ha! I guess I would have made a great juror since I didn't even know it was a girl!

However, having a daughter who is currently 28 months, I would have had no sympathy for her at all - off with her head!
Is she claiming innocence? What is the back story? - I'm going to google it...

bargoo
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
The story goes like this , evidently the mama, Casey wanted to party and 2 year old daughter was making to much noise so Mama dearest chloroformed her baby duyghter and ductaped her mouth and nose. After 31 days had passed she said her daughter was missing and named a baby sitter to have taken her , a baby sitter who doesn't exist. These are the allegations, the chloroform and ducttape are fact. The trial has just started. This is in Florida where they have the death penalty.

NiteOwlMommy
06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah I have followed it somewhat I think she is guilty during the 30 days her daughter was "missing" Casey partied up a storm. If my daughter was missing the last thing on my mind would be "Hey let me enter a Hot Body contest at the club!"

Miss Sandra
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I live in Orlando (where it all took place) so I have been forced to watch it 24/7. I think she is guilty. Today was interesting, they played all of Casey's interviews from when Caylee was first reported missing and they made Casey look horrible. She lead the Orlando police all over the city, to places she said she worked but really didnt, to the "nanny's" apartment (who doesnt even exist). I'm really curious to see how this all plays out .

boatgirl16
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
When will the verdict be made? Anyone know?

Miss Sandra
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
The state said that the case is "almost halfway over". Today was day 18 I believe?

pam920
06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been following it. I think she is guilty. I would be a basket case if one of my children was kidnapped, drowned, whatever else she comes up with. My heart broke to hear Cindy listen to those 911 tapes and break down. I'm a grandmother and was feeling all the emotions she was and can not even begin to imagine the pain she is suffering.

ryeb
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I was a basket case when I thought I lost my kid for like 2 minutes!! I was freaking out when my nephew wondered off at the pool yesterday and it was like 5 minutes to find him. I am sorry, but no where in those times was I thinking I should be in a wet t-shirt contest and get my drink on, and I like my booze lol

I think she is 100% guilty, and that was before hearing about the duct tape and chloraphorm :(

WeightForMe
06-03-2011, 12:12 AM
The only thing I've questioned since this whole thing happened years ago was the guy that found her. He found the bag off in the woods in aug i think it was and called the police to check it out. As far as he knew the cops went to check it out ( Which I guess turns out they didn't really) but told everyone they did. So why did he go back to the same spot in Dec and call the cops again? I dont believe he lived in that neighborhood. Unless he knew what it was or was looking for something specific ....Weird.

kaplods
06-03-2011, 12:43 AM
The only thing I've questioned since this whole thing happened years ago was the guy that found her. He found the bag off in the woods in aug i think it was and called the police to check it out. As far as he knew the cops went to check it out ( Which I guess turns out they didn't really) but told everyone they did. So why did he go back to the same spot in Dec and call the cops again? I dont believe he lived in that neighborhood. Unless he knew what it was or was looking for something specific ....Weird.

I thought the same thing at first, and then I asked myself what would I have done in his place. I find something suspicious and call the cops and tell them where the suspicious item is located. They tell me they're going to check it out, but afterward I hear nothing. No one's been arrested, there's no report in the news of any evidence being found (in fact, there's reports almost daily that nothing has been found). Months pass and still no arrest and no report of what I saw being found. I think I would be tempted to go back and check to see if what I found in the first place was still there (I would be thinking "how the heck could they have missed it).

ringmaster
06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I haven't been keeping up with it lately, last I recently heard was she said the baby drowned in a pool. The story is always changing, she's lied and didn't report her kid missing for a month so I think she is guilty or atleast knows what happened.

fullofhope
06-03-2011, 01:54 AM
lol love that its all guilty votes in here! :carrot: ugh, shes just so slimy!

ShanIAm
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Nothing will be more disappointing to me if this winds up being a repeat of the OJ trial.

So guilty!

pam920
06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
the guy that found the remains is a meter reader. That is why he was in the neighborhood.

DixC Chix
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I saw an interview with a private investigator (?) who said mom Casey was in the habit of giving the child xanax so she could go out partying. Apparently called that "nanny xanny". This is close to the name of the alleged nanny she supposedly left the child. This then lends enough of Casey's brand of truth to her statements to police.

When she ran out of Rx drugs, she got hold of chloroform which she didn't have experience handling.

Has she ever detailed who the father is?

bama girl
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Ugghh. She just grosses me out. There is NO WAY she wasn't involved in this, and she's such a slimy person.

However, I do hate all the comments with people giving armchair psychology from people who have no idea what they're talking about. No, being bipolar does not make you likely to kill someone. Neither does having borderline personality disorder, or any other mental illness. It's a slap in the face to anyone that IS struggling with mental illness to imply that, and it just makes the stigma worse, as well as giving her an excuse. If she IS mentally ill, she didn't kill her daughter because of that, she killed her because she is HORRIBLE PERSON.

Not that anyone here was doing that, but it just drives me nuts.

4star
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Ugghh. She just grosses me out. There is NO WAY she wasn't involved in this, and she's such a slimy person.

However, I do hate all the comments with people giving armchair psychology from people who have no idea what they're talking about. No, being bipolar does not make you likely to kill someone. Neither does having borderline personality disorder, or any other mental illness. It's a slap in the face to anyone that IS struggling with mental illness to imply that, and it just makes the stigma worse, as well as giving her an excuse. If she IS mentally ill, she didn't kill her daughter because of that, she killed her because she is HORRIBLE PERSON.

Not that anyone here was doing that, but it just drives me nuts.

She's not mentally ill. She's just an extreme narcissist.

If the baby actually drowned, why carry on like that for a month and then run police around like that with the lies? IF that were the case, she wouldn't be in half the trouble she is in now. All she ever had to do was report the accidental drowning. The defense knows there is no real defense for her actions and they are grasping at straws with their incredible story. I am half-expecting them to keep shifting the blame around until they end with "the devil made her do it." :rolleyes:

MonicaM
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I believe narcissists, (like this one, OJ, Pam Smart, the one from Small Sacrifices, the Smith one who drowned her kids.....on and on) definitely have a mental illness, that does not mean everyone with a mental illness is capable of murder. Categories can be both confusing and misleading. All women are part of mankind; no man is part of womankind.......... All robins are birds; not all birds are robins.

bama girl
06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I believe narcissists, (like this one, OJ, Pam Smart, the one from Small Sacrifices, the Smith one who drowned her kids.....on and on) definitely have a mental illness, that does not mean everyone with a mental illness is capable of murder. Categories can be both confusing and misleading. All women are part of mankind; no man is part of womankind.......... All robins are birds; not all birds are robins.

I can agree with that... she definitely behaves narcissistically, and I think your statement is close to what I was thinking and just couldn't quite express it. I just got frustrated reading the comments on news sites where people were like "Well she OBVIOUSLY has bipolar disorder" or something like that. I just think it's dangerous to stigmatize everyone with a mental issue as a potential murderer.

MonicaM
06-03-2011, 05:32 PM
And, I should have added, it does not mean that all narcissists are capable of murder. We have probably all had the misfortune to know people who only care about themselves, who do not see beyond their own nose, who are ME, Me, Me, people; yet certainly not murderers.

kaplods
06-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Most people aren't dangerous, most people with mental illness aren't dangerous. Not all dangerous people are mentally ill, but some are. Mental illness can be a contributing factor in some crimes, but it's not a defense unless her illness prevented her from understanding right from wrong. That she tried to cover up her actions, implies she understood that what she did was wrong.

What concerns me about this case, is that no one (at least not successfully) stepped in sooner to stop this. There were warning signs all over the place, and it seemed that the people closest to her helped her cover up her actions - both before and after the child's death.

Her parents and friends should have gotten Social Services involved. They may not have appreciated how dangerous the situation was, but from what has come out in the news, a lot of people knew some very strange and inappropriate things were going on.

cbmare
06-03-2011, 06:08 PM
She is a pathological liar. Leading the cops to Universal Studios with the lie that she works there was yet another one.

She does not deserve to have any more children. I wish there was some way to prevent that. I truly believe that she will go to prison. However, she could get pregnant while in there. It's been known to happen.

4star
06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
And, I should have added, it does not mean that all narcissists are capable of murder. We have probably all had the misfortune to know people who only care about themselves, who do not see beyond their own nose, who are ME, Me, Me, people; yet certainly not murderers.

This particular narcissist apparently crossed over into sociopathy like the other ones previously mentioned so in that case they aren't common narcissists or even comparable to many extreme narcissists that may be out there not killing people everyday, though they often cause people emotional and monetary harm. Mental illness or personality disorder, whatever you call it, they begin to disregard not only people's feelings and property but also people's lives. But yeah, I am not up for giving extreme narcissists or sociopaths a break for the crimes they commit under the guise of their "condition" being lumped in with that of say a schizophrenic in a manic state. In that regard, personality disorder fits better. It's not that they don't know better, they just don't care about anything or anyone else except for themselves. People want to believe that no one would be that way unless they are ill but unfortunately the only thing that does is give a narcissist another excuse for their behavior.

She has a pretty interesting but common profile. Here's two articles by Dr. Deborah Schurman-Kauflin who profiled the BTK killer.

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/11/casey_anthonya_criminal_mind.php

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2008/09/profiler-says-c.html

ryeb
06-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I want to jump on the whole mental illness cases, I do believe that Yates lady was truly mentally handicap when she killed her children in the bath tub. I also think her husband at the time was just as guilty for his children's deaths due to his lack of intervention. I am not condoning her actions, however I do think her mental illness pushed her over the edge to kill her children.

jules1216
06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
if she didnt want to be a mother why didnt she give custody to her parents, the biological father or his parents....

4star
06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I want to jump on the whole mental illness cases, I do believe that Yates lady was truly mentally handicap when she killed her children in the bath tub. I also think her husband at the time was just as guilty for his children's deaths due to his lack of intervention. I am not condoning her actions, however I do think her mental illness pushed her over the edge to kill her children.

Yates was truly mentally ill with delusions and schizophrenia. Yates had been hospitalized and was being treated for severe postpardum psychosis. People like Yates shouldn't be lumped in with the Susan Smiths, Scott Petersons, and Casey Anthonys of the world who "alledgely" killed their children b/c they were cramping their style. In that respect, you can't say a mental illness caused this b/c they were making conscience choices and calculations.

4star
06-04-2011, 09:03 AM
if she didnt want to be a mother why didnt she give custody to her parents, the biological father or his parents....

I think there was an image to uphold and that she knew she could use little Caylee as a bargaining chip to get what she wanted from her parents. Not to mention, having a child makes you look mature and nuturing, so motherhood might have made her attractive to males wanting children.

Sociopaths are not capable of love. Putting a child up for adoption is a loving option so you can see why she wouldn't have chosen that option. There's a link to the profile of a sociopath.

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

BoxerFit
06-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I saw an interview with a private investigator (?) who said mom Casey was in the habit of giving the child xanax so she could go out partying. Apparently called that "nanny xanny". This is close to the name of the alleged nanny she supposedly left the child. This then lends enough of Casey's brand of truth to her statements to police.

When she ran out of Rx drugs, she got hold of chloroform which she didn't have experience handling.

Has she ever detailed who the father is?

No detail on who the father is, and we probably never will.

I really like the PI's theory. But where does the shovel come in?

BoxerFit
06-05-2011, 12:49 AM
I can agree with that... she definitely behaves narcissistically, and I think your statement is close to what I was thinking and just couldn't quite express it. I just got frustrated reading the comments on news sites where people were like "Well she OBVIOUSLY has bipolar disorder" or something like that. I just think it's dangerous to stigmatize everyone with a mental issue as a potential murderer.

SOCIOPATH!!

Coondocks
06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not justifying ANYTHING she has done (I also think she's guilty), but I will say I can see that some of the things people say to those of us who are childfree, or those who are unsure they want to parent (or those who are considering abortion, or even adoption post-conception) being enough to make those who aren't as secure in their choices go through with things they really DON'T want to do. That can lead to tragedies like this one.

I have to agree with you.
I cannot and will not, ever, justify what she has done, and yes I believe she is guilty.
But, we really don't know what her mental thought process was when she was pregnant. She may have very well wanted to be a mother, thought she would be a good mother and after some time was overwhelmed, thought she made a wrong decision, realized it really wasn't what she wanted - anything like that.
Again, I don't think this is an excuse, justification or in anyway reason to show any compassion to her. She may or may not be mentally ill, no I don't think she is -- I think she is just a self serving, cold hearted person.

But - all we know is she wasn't a good mother in the end months of that precious childs life. It's inexcusable.

jules1216
06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I think there was an image to uphold and that she knew she could use little Caylee as a bargaining chip to get what she wanted from her parents. Not to mention, having a child makes you look mature and nuturing, so motherhood might have made her attractive to males wanting children.

Sociopaths are not capable of love. Putting a child up for adoption is a loving option so you can see why she wouldn't have chosen that option. There's a link to the profile of a sociopath.

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

I guess I just cant comprehend why somebody didnt see warning signs, giving a child Xanex to put her to sleep should have been a real big one...sounds like she even bragged about doing it...the sociopath makes sense though...its the thing that until you realize theres a problem you dont know it exists...and in her mind she probably was a good mother

and I wasnt talking about giving up custody at birth, those red flags again, why didnt somebody step in later, thats what I was saying in my post that has been taken in a whole different direction than it was meant...thats what I hate about posting....

4star
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I guess I just cant comprehend why somebody didnt see warning signs, giving a child Xanex to put her to sleep should have been a real big one...sounds like she even bragged about doing it...the sociopath makes sense though...its the thing that until you realize theres a problem you dont know it exists...and in her mind she probably was a good mother

and I wasnt talking about giving up custody at birth, those red flags again, why didnt somebody step in later, thats what I was saying in my post that has been taken in a whole different direction than it was meant...thats what I hate about posting....

I think they weren't catching the "Zanny" reference. Really, who'd ever think someone would be callous enough to drug their kid so they can go party? I think her Mom was getting ready to file for custody and that may be why she took off with the child, to punish Gma.

As for the people in their lives, I think your first paragraph sums it up. "Until you realize there's a problem, you don't know it exists." What a **** of a way for everyone to find out there was a problem. Her friends and associates were very forthcoming and cooperative b/c they never pictured that she could disregard the life of her own flesh and blood, whom she proclaimed to love. Really in normal life, why would they ever be friends with someone they thought would be capable of treating a child that way? They were ignorant to the real facts. I think everyone in her life was ignorant to the situation and what she was capable of, it's just unconscionable.

bargoo
06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I can't believe that somebody on this poll thinks she is innocent !

4star
06-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Maybe they are thinking she accidentally killed her? I doubt anyone can say she died at the hands of anyone other than Casey, whether she premeditated it or accidentally overdosed her. It's pretty obvious from the evidence, if not for Casey's actions, that child would still be alive. If she's innocent, she sure did her best to make herself look as guilty as possible.

One this is for sure from her past and present actions, this is a sociopath. Not all sociopaths are murderers but none of them care about anything other than themselves and their self-gratification.

WhitePicketFences
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I voted guilty but as far as the trial goes ... first degree seems ambitious. She's definitely largely responsible for all that happened, and I personally think she killed Caylee. But whether she planned it out or did it spur of the moment .... ? (As an aside, she seems to do everything on the spur of the moment.)

Maybe this is typical of such a seasoned liar, but it's like every thing she did and said only bought her another day -- until it didn't. The whole thing is just, wow.

I am from the area and I've been watching highlights whenever I can. I know a lot of my relatives there are glued to it.

bargoo
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Definitrely a sociopath, she has shown she cares for nobody but herself, not her daughter, not her parents or brother. Look at the pain she has caused her family.

Satine
06-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Casey is a liar and is so guilty of this crime...I have been listening to the live trial daily and it is so evident that she did this.

May Caylee rest in peace

4star
06-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I voted guilty but as far as the trial goes ... first degree seems ambitious. She's definitely largely responsible for all that happened, and I personally think she killed Caylee. But whether she planned it out or did it spur of the moment .... ? (As an aside, she seems to do everything on the spur of the moment.)

Maybe this is typical of such a seasoned liar, but it's like every thing she did and said only bought her another day -- until it didn't. The whole thing is just, wow.

I am from the area and I've been watching highlights whenever I can. I know a lot of my relatives there are glued to it.

I have been concerned about proving premeditation too but then I remember them finding searches for "neck breaking" and "chloroform" on the family computer so that's why I think law enforcement feel they can get a guilty verdict, especially with traces of chloroform in the trunk where they can also place the body. I think their evidence is strong and I am glad they've held their cards close to their chests with all the media attention. I look for them to have more evidence the public hasn't seen. With just what's out there now, if they laid it out with the evidence in order, it's a strong case.

MiZTaCCen
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY...Death Penalty I'm for!

ryeb
06-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Maybe they just read the book "Twelve Angry Men" and felt they had to be that one juror that debates the whole time.

ShyHeather
06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I remember when I first heard about this story. She's so guilty, it's not even funny. Oh look at me, I'm weeping on television! I'm innocent, what bull$hit. She's beyond guilty and if any tears she is truly shedding is over the fact that her own life, not that of her innocent little girl is over. I hope they convict her. I don't think she should be put to death, I think she should be placed in solitary confinement with images of her daughter EVERYWHERE. Images from her birth, to images of her decomposing body.

fattymcfatty
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm amazed that her parents are standing behind her on this, when he mother called the police in the first place reporting the "something dead smell" from the trunk of Casey's car...

If this happened to my daughter my parents would never speak to me again.

bargoo
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I could never stop loving my chidren, no matter what they do. That does not mean I would condone evil actions. I think that is why her mother was weeping so copiously on the stand, I think she has finally accepted that her daughter is evil, the parents have probably been in denial for quite some time. I feel sorry for the parents, even though they wanted to think their daughter didn't kill her daughter, I think they are finally facing the truth. Nobody knows what is really going through their minds. It must be **** for them

Coondocks
06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I remember when I first heard about this story. She's so guilty, it's not even funny. Oh look at me, I'm weeping on television! I'm innocent, what bull$hit. She's beyond guilty and if any tears she is truly shedding is over the fact that her own life, not that of her innocent little girl is over. I hope they convict her. I don't think she should be put to death, I think she should be placed in solitary confinement with images of her daughter EVERYWHERE. Images from her birth, to images of her decomposing body.

if she is not convicted to die by execution, i don't think she deserves the safety of solitary - put her in general population, let her fend for herself.

jigglefree
06-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I was watching the trial yesterday and my was it interesting. I didn't know she had been riding around with the baby in the trunk of the car.

As her parents I'm sure it's hard to imagine your child would do such a thing. You would begin to think, "How could I produce someone like this" and you would feel guilty knowing there may have been some red flags that you let ride. They love their daughter and for her to have done such a thing is horrifying. So I would be crying. They could be dealing with a huge range of feelings and to hear the account of the scientist, officers and host of other people testifying has to be gut wrenching. So if you think like a parent you would understand why they are standing with her hard as it may be.

fattymcfatty
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I totally agree that her parents must be in ****. I couldn't even imagine. My own sister is just a jerk (never killed anyone) and wrote off my parents (long story) and my parents are inconsolable about the whole thing and it really devastated them. I couldn't imagine dealing with your child being a murderer.

WeightForMe
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm catching up on the trial thru you tube and this whole family is weird. Her father is really trying to say he had no idea his 110lbs daughter was pregnant until she told him at 7months?? And it never occured to him to even ask who the father was until after birth?? Never met/spoke/saw the woman who was supposedly watching the baby for almost 2 years? wth?

He reported the gas cans missing to the police even tho he states he knew Casey had taken gas before and didn't call her to ask first before calling police? Also about the molestation..when her father was being questioned about it she glared right at him almost as if she was waiting for him to say yes. I kinda feel like if she was lying she wouldn't be able to look at him. I definatly believe she had something to do with her daughters death i wonder if we'll ever know what really happened. Oh and her lawyer is AWFUL. He was good opening statement but jeez