Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Someone assumed I was....Pregnant!!!!

No...not pregnant, just fat! Aargh....that's what I was thinking. I was gracious about it....just gave the person a confused look and said, "No, I am retired in that department."

Every time I think I am starting to look a bit slimmer, something like this happens to me. Last time it was one of my younger kids asking what happened to my old "beautiful body?" This time it's someone thinking I am pregnant? I wonder how many months pregnant I look?

It's just so embarrassing to be fat!!!!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

That is such a rude question that I remember every person who has ever asked me and how long I yelled at them. I'm so sorry someone said that to you.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Oh, Guac, I'm sorry to hear that. You just think WHY do these people have to do that? You almost want to say, "No, I lost the baby last week..." so they NEVER ask another living soul that question. I dunno ... I guess that's mean, but if they're a total stranger and you won't see them again ...

But you're down TWENTY THREE POUNDS and that's AMAZING!!! Reach around and pat yourself on the back for that. You're doing awesome - remember where you started!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
You almost want to say, "No, I lost the baby last week..." so they NEVER ask another living soul that question!
Ummm...that would be amazing. I have not been in this situation but I sure do know how I will react if I am.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Thanks, guys. It just really ruined my day. Now I feel embarrassed to be seen in public. There is a small event I was invited to tonight, but I declined. Just the thought of what to wear or if people are wondering if I am expecting is too much to deal with. Dang! How many other people think I am pregnant? It's not like I was wearing an empire waist dress or shirt. In fact, when she made the remark - it wasn't even a question but a statement - I was wearing a jacket. Ugh. I'm just glad that my kids didn't hear her. They were sitting at the table. That would be all I would need - "Mommy, is there another baby in your tummy?" My youngest one is obsessed with babies coming from mommies tummies right now.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

You should have asked her if she was born rude and stupid or was this an aquired condition? Why do people feel the need to speak all the time? I am so sorry this happened to you. I would never, ever, comment on someone's "pregnancy" unless I knew for 100% certain this person was pregnant. And even then, I would tread carefully. You were too kind in being gracious to her, but then again, you took the high road and you should be proud of how you handled it. And you should be proud of your weight loss so far - try not to let moments like this get to you too much. You've worked hard to get where you are.
Lisa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #7  
Keep on Moving!

This happened to me the last time I lost weight. The look I gave the woman concerned was enough to make her apologise profusely!
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I can't beleive someone would ask a question like that. I never assume someone is pregnant until they tell me that they are.....even if the baby is due the next day!!
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #9  
On The Road Again

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/165

I heard someone say one time that you never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you actually see a baby coming out of her uterus!!

Actually, the perfect response to this question is to get a very confused look on your face and say, very innocently, "Why would you think I was pregnant?" all the while looking slightly confused, then stand back and watch them squirm...lol...
Fungramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #10  

This has happened to me twice in my life. I was so upset the first time, that after skulking away, I cried. The second time someone asked me that, I just said, "No---I just gained weight." I wish I had read some of these responses in this thread before those times, though. I would have loved to use them.

I just don't get people, though. How can they be so ignorant?

If it's any solace, though, at least you must look young enough to be asked that question still. No one has asked me that question for years even though I'm still heavy.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Please don't take this so close to heart. I've had someone ask me if I was pregnant and I was thin at the time! I felt horrible but now, I would never feel bad about it again. It gives the other person too much power and this is clearly not a smart person, so they don't deserve it! I think you should be proud of your accomplishments and proud of your body! Go out and have a good time and don't worry about what other people think! What does it really matter? The only thing that matters is what YOU think.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/Ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I am so sorry that happened to you! People can be so rude!!!!

The exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago, but I actually did say, "No, I'm just fat!" He was so embarrassed, I am POSITIVE he will never ask that question again!

To his defense though...he hadn't seen me since high school and I have gained so much weight...I guess I actually did look pregnant!
wabrouq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 349/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

This happened to me! I was at the pharmacy picking up a prescription for my appetite supressant yesterday (thankfully I was in the drive through or else I'd have been mortified) and the girl was said to me, "You know you shouldn't be taking these if you're pregnant?"

I was flabbergasted. It's an APPETITE SUPRESSANT and I'm a fat girl. Do the math lady.

Last edited by glassmenagerie; 06-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.
glassmenagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #14  

The first time this happened to me, I had just been diagnosed with a tumour. It actually happened twice that day. The first, we were at a restaurant after just getting the news and the waitress said something about the pregnant lady, but I didn't say anything, I just sat at the table and cried silently. The second time, I was waiting for my daughter at school and one of the mothers asked if I was expecting again and I told her that no, I was just diagnosed with a tumour and would have to undergo major surgery. You never know what people are going through....so I never, never ask. And, I would never make the assumption that a total stranger was pregnant.

Now, because of the surgery my stomach lacks muscle so it is very easy to assume. Only last year, I was looking for a calendar around Christmas time and the woman in the store made the assumption that I was looking for the pregnancy calendar....as I was walking to the Mom calendar section. I tried very hard to save her the embarrassment of making that assumption, but she kept on.....and then she felt badly.

We all know what ASSUME does, right? Why do total strangers do it? It just hurts so much.....even when you're looking at appetite suppressents, or having an alcoholic beverage - yes, that happened to me, but I had just given birth 2 months prior. It always hurts and makes me want to crawl away and hide.
lostris326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I had this very same thing happen to me this week. This has happened 3 times before too. I truly do not know what people are thinking.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote