General chatter - What are you reading-June 2011

View Full Version : What are you reading-June 2011

Smiling_Sara
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Time is flying, but it is June 1st. What are you all reading this month?

I just started The Funny Thing Is by Ellen Degeneres.

RiverWind
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
My reading material has changed within the last week to become more academically focused. I just started my philosophy class for college and I absolutely LOVE it. So I'm reading lots of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Berkley, Hume, Schopenhauer, etc. etc. It is heavy reading, even sometimes tedious, but the content is incredible.

98DaysOfSummer
06-01-2011, 11:46 AM
In college I took an extra math class to avoid philosophy. I'm glad to know someone enjoys it.

I'm reading Little Girls Can be Mean. I have a very sweet five year old who seems totally ill-equipped for the drama some of the other kids are bringing. I'm hoping a little insight will help me help her.

I'm also reading Alice In Wonderland to her.

I'm FINALLY getting The Help from the library today (on hold and ready!). A friend started recommending it ages ago so I hope it lives up.

Aclai4067
06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson. It's about a search and rescue volunteer training her dog for the work. Very good.

mandalinn82
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm reading Unlimited by Jillian Michaels. It's actually very interesting, and I can see it helping people.

FrouFrou
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Finished Worst Case by James Patterson a couple days ago and just started Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me by Chelsea's Family,Friends and Other Victims

Honestly, not sure why anyone would put up with someone like her...I couldn't take all the pranks and lies, pretty bad and sad!

Gogirl008
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm FINALLY getting The Help from the library today (on hold and ready!). A friend started recommending it ages ago so I hope it lives up.

Just finished The Help and loved it! Hope you enjoy it. I started on The Birth House yesterday. Someone mentioned it in the last thread and it caught my eye.

luckyme0510
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Just finished Something Borrowed just because I wanted to see how the movie compared.

ihearthoney
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm reading 'In Defense of Food' by Michael Pollan. It's really eye-opening and a positive reinforcement for anyone choosing to make better food choices for themselves.

mhill0823
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I really need to get back into reading! I used to read during ALL of my spare time... and then... Work kicked in!
lol so I've got 2 books laying on my night stand staring at me!:)

stellarwbz
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Just finished Something Borrowed just because I wanted to see how the movie compared.

I've read all of Meg Giffin's books. They are good but never turn out how I want them to. I read Something Borrowed a while before the movie came out. I was kinda disappointed with how the movie turned out. Which did you like better?

I'm reading Moll Flanders for a British lit class I am taking.

fullofhope
06-01-2011, 11:54 PM
A few of my friends and I are just starting up a book club! I think we decided the first one will be Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger! I'm looking forward to it.

FrouFrou
06-04-2011, 02:08 AM
The Scent of Rain and Lightning...Nancy Pickard

Glory87
06-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I just finished reading Peculiar Sadness of Lemon Cake (http://www.amazon.com/Particular-Sadness-Lemon-Cake-Novel/dp/0385501129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307195533&sr=8-1) and I found it supremely irritating. It started off pretty good, but completely went off the rails. I don't want to spoil anyone, so I am writing this text in white, mouse over if you want a pretty decent reason to avoid this book.

***spoilers below***
Her brother turns into a chair. Yes, a chair. No, there really isn't a good reason. There was also this potentially interesting thing with her dad that wasn't fleshed out
***spoilers above***

Snoofie
06-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Let's see. Currently, I'm reading:

Dark Tower 5: The Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies? by Mitchell Symons
Mary, Mary by James Patterson
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

...Yeah, I have a thing about reading multiple books at once.

Smiling_Sara
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I just finished reading Peculiar Sadness of Lemon Cake (http://www.amazon.com/Particular-Sadness-Lemon-Cake-Novel/dp/0385501129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307195533&sr=8-1) and I found it supremely irritating. It started off pretty good, but completely went off the rails. I don't want to spoil anyone, so I am writing this text in white, mouse over if you want a pretty decent reason to avoid this book.

***spoilers below***
Her brother turns into a chair. Yes, a chair. No, there really isn't a good reason. There was also this potentially interesting thing with her dad that wasn't fleshed out
***spoilers above***

That's kind of a bummer. I saw this at Target-and read the back and thought it sounded really interesting.

Glory87
06-05-2011, 10:49 AM
That part was definitely interesting (if a bit wtf??). Honestly, I'm just not a huge fan of "magical realism" or whatever that genre is called these days.

I did FINISH the book and I'm quick to toss a book away if I don't like it.

ANOther
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Rome 1960: The Olympics that Changed the World by David Maraniss

pointless2011
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm reading Pretty Little Liars. My friends make fun of me saying I'm like a middle school girl. I'm actually almost 20 and just finished my first year of college lol

zoodoo613
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Just finished:
206 Bones, Kathy Reichs - Eh, it was OK.
When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead - Excellent YA reading, if you're into that.
Child of My Heart, Alice McDermott - Very well written. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

ERHR
06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit I'm in the middle of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I randomly picked up the first one a few weeks ago and started working through the series (yet again) - not because of the moving coming out although I guess that is a happy coincidence. I will probably wait to see it until it comes out on DVD because I don't really have the discretionary funds for movie theaters.

Other books I'm in the middle of:
The Resurrection and the Son of God by N.T. Wright
Great Waters by Deborah Cramer

I'm also very excited that my husband is reading two books off my shelf, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias and The Republican War on Science by Chris Moody. My husband isn't much of a reader (and when he does his first choices are not my first choices) so I'm happy to be able to discuss these books with him.

Emme
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Currently I am reading Anne of Green Gables. I grew up with the TV series and I never read the books, so I am on book one of the series. I absolutely loved the TV series and it is something that stayed with me as a favorite for over 20 years now, so I am enjoying experiencing it in book form!

Glory87
06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Anne of Green Gables is classic, I re-read it at least once a year.

My dear friend Amanda got me totally drunk at her house a few weeks ago, she just kept filling my wineglass (we both ended up getting up from the table where our SOs had painstakingly set up a very complicated board game and went and slept on the couch - well, Amanda slept on the floor beside the couch, like 2 drunk girls in a bunk bed).

The next day we kept saying to each other - 3 tumblerfuls of cherry cordial!

Emme
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Anne of Green Gables is classic, I re-read it at least once a year.

My dear friend Amanda got me totally drunk at her house a few weeks ago, she just kept filling my wineglass (we both ended up getting up from the table where our SOs had painstakingly set up a very complicated board game and went and slept on the couch - well, Amanda slept on the floor beside the couch, like 2 drunk girls in a bunk bed).

The next day we kept saying to each other - 3 tumberfuls of cherry cordial!

LOL!! Nice!!

jules1216
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I loved Anne of Green Gables...

BoxerFit
06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
"Nose down, Eyes up" by Merrill Markoe,,,,,was reading til the Casey Anthony Trial came about....had to renew me book. :D

sheramama
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm on a huge YA kick (yeah at 29-no talks of husbands, children, crappy careers, or bills-fantastic).

I recently read:
"Going Bovine" Libba Bray--absolutely insane. I loved it.
"Delerium" Lauren Oliver--futuristic utopia. Reminded me a little of "The Giver" from jr high.

Almost done with: "The Lost Hero" Rick Riordan. My guy and I love this author (wrote Percy Jackson books).

FrouFrou
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Loved Anne of Green Gables and have been wanting to reread. Also saw the show but didn't care for them as much as the books.

Finished The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard and really liked it. Think I will pick up her first novel-The Virgin of Small Plains...I like her writing.

Currently reading Tick Tock by James Patterson #4 in the Bennett series.

Rubear
06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I currently have Water For Elephants in my purse waiting to be read, but with having to write a paper every week for my summer class makes it hard to get too. 2 more papers and I'll finally have time! ^_^

CanadianCutie
06-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I finished Diana Galbadon's Voyager a few days ago, and am now almost finished with Lisa Gardner's Say Goodbye.

starfishkitty
06-14-2011, 05:32 AM
LoL on the Anne of Green Gables reference (I grew up day dreaming about Anne and her world, so its funny to me as well :) )!

I just finished New Miss India by Bharati Mukherjee.

I liked it a lot, actually. Not only because the topic interests me (I travel to India a lot and its interesting to see the joining of an ancient civilization and recent Westernization first hand) but also because it was a good read. :) I thoroughly recommend it!

zoritsa
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Currently on the first novella "1922" of Full Dark,No Stars by Stephen King.I'm only reading it when my youngest is at swimming lessons,so it's slow going,but it's a good story so far.

WhitePicketFences
06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm on a huge YA kick (yeah at 29-no talks of husbands, children, crappy careers, or bills-fantastic).

Haha. Just turned 30, and I was glued to Delirium.

Right now I'm really into Lucifer's Tears, by James Thompson. It's the second in a new detective series set in Finland. Kind of police procedural, but you know, with one cop-protagonist, who is all hard-boiled and has personal problems and dark thoughts like the dark weather ... ;-) I am really into these ones; very atmospheric.

Smiling_Sara
06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow, June is flying so far.

I read All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown. It was kind of meh to me.

Now I've started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and it's been really good so far.

djs06
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
The Memory Keepers Daughter. Yeah, I go back to the bestseller lists from a few years ago.

Glory87
06-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I adored the beginning of Memory Keeper's Daughter, but I was thoroughly disgusted with all the main characters by the end. I just couldn't understand their motivations at all!

Glory87
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I want to read My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me (http://www.amazon.com/Boyfriend-Wrote-Book-About-Acquaintances/dp/1402779798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308665713&sr=8-1), so first I felt I had to read the boyfriend's book: Average American Male (http://www.amazon.com/Average-American-Male-Novel/dp/0061231673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308665752&sr=1-1). It was uh, illuminating.

I'm also really looking forward to: Never Knowing (http://www.amazon.com/Never-Knowing-Chevy-Stevens/dp/0312595689/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308665785&sr=1-1) which comes out in a week or so. Her first book Still Missing (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Missing-Chevy-Stevens/dp/0312595670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308665810&sr=1-1) was one of my favorite books of last year.

CanadianCutie
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm reading Soulless by Gail Carriager. It's very amusing. It's the first "steampunk" style book I've read.

nikkinouille
06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

ANOther
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
The Gun by C.S. Forester

BlueStarSkyMonkey
06-23-2011, 02:19 AM
The Vampire Academy-book 1 of the series

MiZTaCCen
06-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Shannen Doherty - Badass

I had just gotten fired from my part time job (pretty funny actually) and waiting around 3 hours for a hole in my tire to get fixed from a tire shop and this book was screaming out to me. I wasn't going to get it the book I had in my hand was nanny diaries for 2 dollars...but decided this one instead. It's pretty good I'm almost done it.

nikkinouille
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Shannen Doherty - Badass

I had just gotten fired from my part time job (pretty funny actually) and waiting around 3 hours for a hole in my tire to get fixed from a tire shop and this book was screaming out to me. I wasn't going to get it the book I had in my hand was nanny diaries for 2 dollars...but decided this one instead. It's pretty good I'm almost done it.

MiZTaCCen, is this book an autobiography? If so, I may be interested in reading it :) I like autos... but only if they are VERY interesting.. haha. My coworker is reading Steven Tyler's right now & she says it's great.

MiZTaCCen
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
MiZTaCCen, is this book an autobiography? If so, I may be interested in reading it :) I like autos... but only if they are VERY interesting.. haha. My coworker is reading Steven Tyler's right now & she says it's great.

No it's a "self" help book on how to be a "badass" chick and not a "*****" lol. She talks a bit about herself or mostly herself in finding how to be the best possible person she can be, and how it took her years to figure stuff out and so on. It's kind of an auto but not exactly.

I keep seeing Steven Tyler's I want to read it, I also want to read Jesse James, even though I think he's a pig for what he did to Sandra. I as well also enjoy autobiographys.

Riestrella
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm reading I,Robot then I have Catch 22 to read. =)

chickadee32
06-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Now I've started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and it's been really good so far.

I read this on Wednesday while traveling and liked it. I think I enjoyed her first book more (the end was soooo creepy, and that makes an impact!), but Dark Places was still a good read.

While traveling the past few days I also read No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley. Ever since reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer a few years ago I have had a thing for mountaineering books, and I've read 20 or so of them and can be kind of critical of them. :) No Way Down was pretty well written, and is one of the ones I'd recommend. Into Thin Air and Touching the Void (Joe Simpson) are still by far the best ones, though.

I picked up a few others books before my trip and hope to get to them soon... Jane Smiley's new novel, another K2 book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Open, Andre Agassi's autobiography.

ANOther
06-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Starting The South Lawn Plot by Ray O'Hanlon

FrouFrou
06-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Just finished Dune Road by Jane Green about 30 mns ago...onto July and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Smiling_Sara
06-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I read this on Wednesday while traveling and liked it. I think I enjoyed her first book more (the end was soooo creepy, and that makes an impact!), but Dark Places was still a good read.

While traveling the past few days I also read No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley. Ever since reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer a few years ago I have had a thing for mountaineering books, and I've read 20 or so of them and can be kind of critical of them. :) No Way Down was pretty well written, and is one of the ones I'd recommend. Into Thin Air and Touching the Void (Joe Simpson) are still by far the best ones, though.

I picked up a few others books before my trip and hope to get to them soon... Jane Smiley's new novel, another K2 book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Open, Andre Agassi's autobiography.

Thanks for the tip-I just added it to my library list.

I was actually able to rent out a kindle from the library that had about 8 pages of books. Most I"m not interested in, but I wanted to play with a kindle and see if I want one or not-I DO!!!

Anyway, I started reading The Help that was loaded on it, and it's been really good!