Exercise! - June Running - DO IT!

View Full Version : June Running - DO IT!

joyfulloser
06-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey all you runners (new and old)!:D This is our place. A place where we log our experiences, challenges and most importantly SUCCESS! Come one...come all...JUST DO IT!

aimeebell
06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I dragged my butt out of bed before the kids woke up this morning to run. That is a first. With it warming up outside, and me juggling three kids at three different baseball fields 4 to 5 days a week, I think this will be the only way I can keep up with my running.

indiblue
06-01-2011, 11:15 AM
joyful did you just reach goal?? (checking out your signature). If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

ncuneo
06-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Alright Joyfull!!!! You beat me to the thread this month!

6 miles for me this morning, I can't believe it's June already!!!! I've run 402 miles so far this year. Doing the math 1000 is still possible, but I'm going to have to work pretty hard to get it.

I'm "offically" back in weight loss mode. It's only 10 lbs and I suppose technically I'm still in my goal range, but I liked the lower range I was maintaining. No excuses, just some emotional stuggles with binging that I *think* I'm finally getting a handle on. The goal is the same - HAPPY WITH ME!

I'm finally not sick and just about injury free. My ankle and knee are feeling pretty good. I'm about 1/3 of the way into my more challenging half marathon training program and so far loving it!

It's also my birthday the month (birthday's are a BIG deal at my house) and my 7th wedding anniversary, so June has some pretty awesome things in store for me. I'm looking forward to July though, because I've decided whether I run it or not, I'm going to register for the LA marathon.

Have a great start to the month everyone! Kick some a$$!

MsWannaBSlim
06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Hello All,
I'm way out of shape and I am fed up so I am starting a learn to run program. I It starts out with running two, walking four x 5 reps. It's embarrassing how hard it is for me, but it's just the first week and it's GOT to get easier. My legs are sore but I know it's for a good cause. Gonna keep it up. Have a good support group of friends who are all training for a 5 k charity run in October. I know I may not be able to run 5 k by then, but apparently lots of ladies walk and run so I'll just do my best and see how endurance goes. Happy to be active again!

Apple Blossom
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I have been keeping track of my running through nike+ and last June, I only ran once!! So my goal this month is to run more than that! I have set my goal for 15 runs, 40 miles total. The catch is I will be away for 9 days, so I really only have 3 weeks to do it.
I also feel like my running is NOT helping at all in losing weight. Is my body used to it? This past month I have been working on speed a bit more, trying to get my avg pace from 10:50 down to 10:30. Maybe I still eat to much, I am often hungry a few hours after running and I might eat to much to compensate for the running calories I've burned. Any advice? I am always frustrated when people post about exercise success and since they are new to it, it is easier to lose weight from it. I already have a (somewhat) high level of fitness so it's harder to build MORE muscle and budge the scale. Any tips?
ncuneo, what 1/2 marathon program are you doing? I'm thinking of running one this fall.

ncuneo
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I can't remember which on it is. Last year I think I did the one from marathonrookie.com. This year I wanted to step it up and peak at at least 15 and get my weekly milage up so I can make a decision on whether or not I want to run a full.

In regards to you not losing weight, eating more because of running could certainly be the issue, but without know exactly what you're eating or how much you're running and what other exercise you are doing it's hard to say. When I stick to it I can usually lose pretty easily around 1700-1800 cals with a little extra on the weekends. But I'm running 20 miles or more per week and hitting the gym and doing yoga 2xs a week.

mkroyer
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Apple Blossom-----

http://www.leighpeele.com/running-for-weight-loss

Matilda08
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Hello all I am new to this thread. I try to jogg three times per week for 20 mins in addition to my reg workout routine. I would like to increase my efforts though. I am now able to run non stop for 20mins on the treadmill at 3mph. Now that its nice in NJ most of my jogs will take place outside.

Looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with you guys!

mkroyer
06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Ncueno- regarding peaking and marathon training.... it is quite larger of a commitment, time-wise, to train for a marathon.... are you prepared to peak at 40-60 miles per week? Just take that into consideration........ low 40's is really the minimum you would peak at, but i think you would be doing a program slightly more advance than "novice"

Appleblossom... is the reason you are thinkin gof doing a half marathon is so you can lose weight? ask ncueno about this....most runners do NOT and ARE NOT able to lose weight while endurance traning. Of course there are exceptions, but considering your "somewhat high" level of fitness, and a body weight thats not incredibly overweight (of course i dont know your height) i doubt you will fall into the TINY category of people who are able to lose while in training. There are SO SO many reasons for it..... some as simple as you must eat more to compensate for calories burned during intense training... others are more complicated, such as the amount of stress it puts on your body, releasing higher levels of cortisol which prevent fat loss. Also your body will never have a chance to be in a "recovered" state, maning you will always be carrying excess water from stiffness and sore muscles. If yuor body feels "threattened", as it often can with long distance running-- fat loss SHUTS DOWN. Your body conserves what calories it gets to run vital bodily processes....ESPECIALLY WHILE IN A DEFICIT. Thats not to say you cant lose INCHES.... many report this happening...... but train to run a half because you want the experience, make sure you fuel your body properly, and put fat loss on hold till its over.

SCraver
06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi! My name is Sherri. And I am getting addicted to running. I am a slow runner - but getting faster! I did my first 10k race on Monday. Now I am thinking... hmmm... what training would be involved for a HM? I want to do it so I can get one of those 13.1 stickers for my car.

natamars
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Did about 3 miles last night. Running a 5K on Saturday. At this point I'm jogging about 3x/week, 3-4 miles each time. Still very slow, about a 12 minute mile. Planning on a 10K in September.

How does everyone deal with the bugs? It was gorgeous out last night(maybe still a bit humid, but temps in the 70's and a nice breeze), but I swear there was a swarm of bugs around me! During the week evenings are really the best time for me since I go to work really early and prefer to shower at night so my mornings are easier.

SCraver
06-02-2011, 05:33 PM
AppleBlossom = I have to agree with mkroyer. ~sigh~ The more I run (and bike and swim) the hungrier I get and the more I need to eat to fuel my work outs. If I just stayed at the level I am at now, I could eat at a deficit and lose... but I keep uping my speed and distance and demanding more and more of my body. I started training for a triathlon in April... in two months, I have only managed to lose about 5, maybe 6 lbs. There are some areas I can improve on (like booze) which would help me. But I am always SO HUNGRY. And if I don't eat enough, my running (and biking and swimming) suffer. And I get REALLY cranky.

ncuneo
06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Yep, training and losing is HARD! Last year I lost maybe 5 lbs while training for my half which was an 18 week program (that's long, but it was my first) and after training was over I lost 5 lbs in like 2 weeks. I'm now dumb enough to try it again because I've regained a few lbs and am trying to lose those while training. I'm not too worried about it though because fortunately I've added a little muscle and 150 this year doesn't look like 150 last year. So I'm just running on a very small deficit, and sometimes none at all, and just focusing on fueling, training and overall fitness.

Ncueno- regarding peaking and marathon training.... it is quite larger of a commitment, time-wise, to train for a marathon.... are you prepared to peak at 40-60 miles per week? Just take that into consideration........ low 40's is really the minimum you would peak at, but i think you would be doing a program slightly more advance than "novice"

This is the question, I'm still think a lot about whether or not I have what it takes to run and train for a full. I want to so bad, but I'm terrified!

No run for me today, just a little warm up jog before ST and yoga.

rawbanana
06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
i'm running my first 10K race at the end of the month! I have done a handful of 5K races and one 1/2 marathon (I have been running since last July).
I am running 4x a week (JUST come to 4x a week from 3x a week), my routine is Sun: long run, Tues: easy run, Thurs: tempo run, Fri: recovery run.

I am going to start BRICK workouts on Fridays-doing a 6-8mi bike ride and follow it immediately with a 2-3 mi EASY run. I also cross train on my 'off running' days on the elliptical, treadmill hikes and cycling.

I LOVE running. Love love love it. I did a 4mi tempo this morning that went really well. Tomorrow will be my first BRICK workout. I am blessed that I live in a neighborhood with TONS of trails and one trail that lead to an awesome park with an amazing 7mile loop. Also just a mile away from another much longer trail system. I am SO glad the nicer weather is here and I'm not taking 20min to get dressed to go out and run! =)

Serval87
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
I just realized that I kind of like the way running feels, but for now I can only sprint a small amount at a time, so for the past week and a half I've added sprinting to my walking exercise. I don't know my distance. I'm not really sure how to measure it, but I know it takes me about 16-20 minutes to complete my walk.

Will this help me lose weight btw? I guess I'm not really doing it to lose weight just yet (though it would be nice). For now, I'm trying to make exercise a habit for me. It's so hard, though. I've made other things a habit for me (flossing, reading my Bible, ect) but I am having so much trouble making exercise a habit. I seem to like this for now, though. I've walked/sprinted all this week except yesterday and Sunday. And the week before I did it all (except for a day I rode my bike instead).

It's funny. I used to always think I hated being in the summer-like heat outside getting all sweaty and stuff, but I've found that I like it, and I get a really blissful-kind of rush when I'm done and am all sweaty and have an airy kind of feeling in my head. It's nice.

indiblue
06-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Did my usual 5K outside today, for the first time in months. It's almost monsoon season which means the temps are cooling down (90s instead of 100s) so at 8 AM a run outside was doable. The only area to run is a dirt path around a park, which is wonderful because it challenged my quads more than a treadmill and was easier on my joints than the cement road.

As soon as this darn right knee heals, I want to kick up the mileage from 10 miles per week to 15. And possibly 3x a week to 4?

It's so frustrating because my lungs, heart, muscles and WILL are ready for something more, but my joints are not :(.

joyfulloser
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Indiblue - Thanks but nope...not yet. Still have 2 more lbs to go to goal. These last 2 lbs are killin' meh!:dizzy: But then again, haven't ran in two weeks (knee injury), but diet has been somewhat in check (LOL!). Just started back running this week, so hoping by next weigh in (Monday) I'll be down at least a pound.:)

Serval - To answer you question...YES!:D Running will definitely help you drop some lbzzzzzz! That said, IMHO, I think that slow and steady wins the race. In other words...it is better to run for 30 mins at 5mph, than to run for 15 mins at 7mph. I know people here will DISAGREE with this...but this is my personal experience and I have dropped 57 lbs in 7-8 months doing it MY WAY.;) In any event...I'd start with a run/walk/run program and try to work my way up to 30 mins of this type of interval training before integrating SPRINTS into my routine. Keep at this until you can run straight for one mile, then gradually increase your running time FIRST before you increase INTENSITY. This is MY ADVICE.:)

Oh and btw, I have now and always listen to the bible or bible based literature during my run. I know a wonderful website where you can download the entire bible onto your mp3. If interested, pm me and I'll send you the link.:D Great way to kill 2 birds (strengthen mind and body at same time).;)

SCraver
06-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I am going to start BRICK workouts on Fridays

Why are you going to do bricks? Are you going to do a triathlon? :carrot:

Matilda08
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Happy Friday ladies!

Lastnight I jogged/walked over a mile I am so sore today but no pain no gain!

mkroyer
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Serval-- regarding weight losss and running-- i think you will be more successful if you go longer, even though that means WALKING (walking for weightloss is INCREDIBLY effective!) 16-20 min doesnt burn that many calories.... i think if you went out for a wlk for 30min to an hour a day, and through a few unning intervals into there, youd have more success with weight losss.
if you have your heart set on learning to run, google the Couch to 5K program...... should be right up your ally

NTexas
06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Just got back from my first run of June. 1 mile jog (13 min mile) followed by 1 mile of sprint/walks. The indoor track I run (too dang hot outside, already 92 at 10am!) is 1/10 mile so I run 1 lap sprint, almost flat out so I guess 6-7mph, and 1 lap brisk walk 3.5mph. I actually enjoy the sprint/walks a LOT more than the initial jog. If my hip didn't hurt, I would have made the full hour. I am still not really liking the running thing, but my butt and legs never looked better! Did 5 minute walk warm up and cool down for about 2.5 miles in 35 minutes. Followed by 30 minutes on the eliptical and another 2 miles. I like to get at least 5 miles of something in a day so I'll walk the dog this evening when things cool down outside :)

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Lookin' good, everybody! It feels like just yesterday that we were all complaining about it being too cold to run outdoors, and now we've flip flopped. Time is flying!

I did my little 3 miler today, and tried to do some intervals. Every other block, I would push the pace. I'm hoping that if I incorporate this method into my short runs, my overall speed will improve as my training progresses.

rawbanana
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
SCraver-nope. Actually thought about a Duatholon for a split second but I am TERRIFIED of falling on my bike and having a hundred people pile up on me =) I just LOVE running and love biking so I thought it would be fun to try them together!
This morning went well. I think I took the 7miles a little too speedy (avg abour 13mph for the majority of the ride). I had a tummy ache that last mile as I was SO hungry for some reason. So after rode home and parked the bike, I walked for a few minutes and then went into my 2mi easy run which didnt end up as easy as I wanted. Was hoping for 10:45-11 min miles and my avg pace ended up being 9:55. Oops =)
Overall I really enjoyed it, though it was tough. Props to all the triatheletes out there-you guys are some tough cookies!!

JenMusic
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey, everyone! Last I checked in it was May and I was running in Central Park during my NYC vacation. :) I ended up taking a little break from 3FC during May - vacation and whatnot - but I did NOT take a break from running. Now I'm back and catching up on threads again.

I'm still very much a slow, beginning runner, but this morning I did 4 miles at less than 12 min/mile pace. I know that's painfully slow for many of you, but it's both the furthest and the fastest I've run so far. Woo hoo! I'm still trying to add distance more than speed, but today the pace felt right so I stayed there.

My biggest issue now is the heat. Despite having done most of the c25k on a treadmill, outside running is SO much easier (as in, less deadly boring) for me. But in Atlanta it's getting crazy hot. Question - How do you all carry water for your runs? I managed today but would have loved some water at about mile 2.5, and I know it's only going to get worse this summer. I don't want to carry a water bottle because I'm already holding my iPhone (I run on a trail where a phone is a good idea, as well as it having my Nike+ app). Ideas?

ncuneo
06-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Jen - lots of options here, my preference an armband for your iPhone and a water bottle with a hand thingy to help you hold it. Otherwise there are TONS of water belts out there. Also don't beat yourself up about your speed. You'll get there without much effort. I started around 12 myself and now with no effort I can easily run 10. I also prefer the distance challenge right now, I'm not sure I'll ever really have the desire to push speed. Sometimes I run faster because it really feels good, but most of time time I just do what my body says is right. I'm not sure if this is true, but from what I understand you burn the same cals per mile (approx 100) no matter how fast you run so unless it's a personal goal or you're competing who cares!

A lovely 4 miler yesterday. I managed to make up all the miles I missed Monday when I was sick, so that made me happy. Fun 10 miler tomorrow, then I have to work - on a Sunday - bleck! We're so understaffed and getting so behind on work. It sucks because I love nothing better then a nice mid-day nap after my long run on Sundays - oh well!

Serval87
06-04-2011, 07:42 PM
mkroyer, how much do you usually burn per run? My heart-rate monitor says I only burn between 250-300 calories. I'm pretty sure that isn't much, though, especially when I'm starving afterward. lol. I could probably get in an extra 10 minutes and make it 30, though.

Thanks, joyfulloser, you can PM me the link if you want. :)

ncuneo, not to get off topic, but I just noticed your quote at the end of your signature, and that is so very true. I need to start thinking that way, because I overeat almost every time I eat. BTW, I saw that you run 10 miles! Wow. Do you use a heart-rate monitor? If so, what's your usual burn?

BTW, this sounds really ridiculous, but is there an easy way to tell when you've hit a mile while you're outside? Oh, and i don't know if I'm sprinting. I only call it sprinting, because I run as far/long as I can without stopping, then I go back to regular walking when I can't run anymore.

indiblue
06-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Jen I like in India and it's crazy hot here too, so I feel your pain! I don't like running with water- only because I cramp pretty quickly even with just a sip. I stay hydrated all day long (3-4 liters), especially the hour before the run. I try to run early in the morning and chew GUM to keep my mouth from drying out. That works really well. Not saying you shouldn't carry water, just an idea if you decide not to.

Serval the heart rate monitor seems a bit off? Most people burn around 300 calories per 30 minutes when they run. From all the numbers I've seen walking at a moderate pace is around 150 calories per 30 minutes. If you're doing 15-20 minutes, you may be looking at closer to 75-115ish, though your sprints may bump it up a bit.

The other figure I've heard is 100 calories per mile. If you are walking 16-20 minutes, depending on your pace, you could be doing anywhere from 1-2 miles, or 100-200 calories. Hard to tell more precisely without knowing your pace.

It's super difficult to calculate how many calories exactly one burns during exercise, due to fitness levels and other individualities about each body. That's why a lot of people don't try to eat back the calories they think they burned, because usually we don't burn as many calories as we think we do and could risk eating too much that day.

Good job on incorporating intervals- that's a great way to get the heart rate up.

Serval87
06-05-2011, 01:21 AM
That's weird. The heart-rate monitor says my heart-rate stays between 130-150 when I walk, and when I run it bumps it up between 160-180 and that makes the calorie count go faster. Also the terrain is hilly and curvy, that could make you burn more calories, I'm sure. My heart-rate monitor was cheap, though. It only allows you to put your age and gender into it, and I believe it adds a calorie burned for every 10 seconds. Also, it takes my pulse through my finger-pad. That is a shame if I'm not burning what I thought. I guess it's better than doing nothing, but if it is truly closer to what you said, indiblue than I need to incorporate something else, or I'm not going to lose anything at all.

Yes, I'm BAD about overeating after walking/sprinting in the heat. I'm completely famished afterward.

Oh, I'm a pretty fast walker if that helps.

ncuneo
06-05-2011, 01:30 AM
The other figure I've heard is 100 calories per mile.

This is what I've always heard and what I've always figured when tracking my exercise. I don't use a heart rate monitor, pretty much because I'm too OCD and would drive myself nuts with that info, being a calorie counter is bad enough:)

indiblue
06-05-2011, 02:07 AM
If it's hilly and a terrain, that could definitely contribute to increased calorie burn, for sure.

It's really hard though to exercise your way to weight loss. Check out this article (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html) to understand why. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the chart in the middle. Even burning 10 cals/min (which is really high, most people can't do that) for 30 minutes 3x a week and eating at maintenance will only lead to a loss of .25 ls a week. Even bumping that up to 6x a week only leads to .5 lbs a week.

Running and walking are both awesome forms of exercise and can help a lot with the weight loss process. But the vast majority of weight loss comes from dieting, not from exercise.

hope this is helpful :)

Serval87
06-05-2011, 02:07 AM
I have a question for all of ya'll. When you run, do you have to pause to catch your breath, or do you just run continually. I realize most of you are seasoned runners, so you probably don't have to take breaks, but how was it when you were first getting started? I ask this, because I can probably only run a minute nonstop before having to pause to take a breather (That's when I walk).

Thank you, indiblue. I will check that out. I guess I will just use my heart-rate monitor for a stop-watch, instead. Do you think it reads my pulse correctly? I may still monitor that. I'm not sure what heart-rate I should strive for when exercising though.

ncuneo
06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Serval - you said are sprinting right? Well then of course you're out of breath, I think anyone no matter what their fitness would be out of breath. When I run a steady pace, a pace that is comfortable for my body I'm never out of breath, I don't think I ever have been, except maybe when I first started.

10 miles was pretty good this morning. I should have taken water it was a little warmer then I expected and I got hungry today. I hate that, I never know when I'm going to get hungry durning a run. I usually can power through it, but sometimes I get dizzy and weak, today wasn't too bad. I pretty much never eat before a run, with the exception of some GU, unless I'm famished when I get up, then I might have a banana or something. When runs get a little longer I think I'm going to experiment with another GU around mid way to see what it does for my performance.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

joyfulloser
06-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Ran 16.2 miles this week. Didn't make my goal of 21 miles, but will do better next week!:D One more pound to goooo!!!!:carrot:

Serval87
06-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Dang, joyfulloser, that's awesome!

aimeebell
06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
When I was a kid, I remember being jealous of my friend who would sweat beads in gym class. As I grew up, I was no longer jealous of people who could sweat perfusely and was happy that I only ever glistened. Well, after my run yesterday, I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat in the yard to chill. As I sat, I felt a drop of sweat roll down my back, then I looked down and a bead of sweat was rolling down my calf. My 8-year-old self came out and I was like COOL!!!!

indiblue
06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
ncuneo Lovely run! What's your usual pace for a 10 miler?

joyful Nice job! So excited for your goal- it's so ridiculously close!

Today: meh. Did 5K today on very, very hilly terrain. The path around the park near my house is beautiful but in some places it's so steep it has steps. Pace was terrible. But I suppose every time I power through one of these it's helping both my quads and endurance in the long run.

I've been diligently icing my knee multiple times a day, wearing a brace, and doing my ITB foam roller. Pain is almost gone- yipee!!!

natamars
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Did a 5K Saturday evening - 35 minutes exactly. Was really hoping to get under that and started well, but developed a stitch in my side halfway through. Was really proud when we got to the hills and everyone around me started walking, I kept jogging. Really slow, but I didn't stop.

Looking forward to getting out for a jog tonight since it's supposed to get extremely hot and humid here mid-week.

In the discussion on running for weight loss - I do think it's helping me, but I'm not working hard enough to make me eat back any calories. I've been doing 3-4 miles, 3 days a week. I'm keeping my calories between 1200-1500 a day. And I feel like running is so much tougher than than the elliptical, although I am really enjoying getting outside more!

Apple Blossom
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I want to thank ncuneo and mkroyer for their advice! My main motivation for running is really just because I like it, it gives me a great feeling of accomplishment. I have run 5 marathons in the past, and 3 half marathons, so my motivation for running another one is basically just to see if I still can!!!
On the other hand, I DO NEED TO LOSE about 30 pounds, Dr even says so. So I am going to try to pay more attention to my diet, at least for this next month. Surfing around I read something along the lines of weight loss = 80% diet and 20% exercise, so I need to work on my nutrition. I am shooting for 42 miles this month (not week!! whoa!) which will be about a 40 mile improvement from last June. :D

ncuneo
06-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Indie-I'm pretty slow, depending on how I'm feeling the best I can run is 10 min mile, and the worst is 11 when I'm really struggling. I usually fall around 10:30 with little effort. I will say a lot of my running is on an incline though, I can run a bit faster on the treadmill.

3 mile recovery later today. It was too windy to run this morning so I have to squeeze it in after work. I've been researchering marathon programs like crazy, I'm having such a hard time deciding. I think I might take a high low approach and just do what I feel capable of on that day. I know I feel compelled to do the harder option though, but I want it to be fun although I don't want to be under prepared.

CherryPie99
06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi all! Don't think I've ever posted in here. I have a lot of trouble mentally thinking of myself as a "runner". I feel like an intruder where I don't belong!

I ran just over 2.5 miles on my lunch hour today. I am still pretty sore from hiking a mountain on Saturday so it wasn't the most enjoyable, but I powered through. My first mile I did in 13 minutes and the second mile in 13:30. I know that this is really slow, but since I was running on the treadmill at anywhere from 4-4.2 MPH - I'm actually running faster then expected.

joyfulloser
06-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Awwwhhh...don't sweat it Cherrypie, we've ALL felt like that at one time or another. Just 8 months ago, I couldn't RUN to the mailbox without early onset cardiac arrest!:p Now I'm a RUNNER!:carrot: Who knew?

Guess you'll just have to start off where everybody does...the beginning!:D

K....I've been cooking all day and am literally exhausted. This is TRULY a MIND over MATTER type of night. It's almost 10pm and I've GOT to get my run on so as to start this week off on schedule (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun = 21 miles). If I don't come back...call the paramedics.:p

Serval87
06-06-2011, 11:25 PM
I did walking/running intervals this evening for 31 minutes while my husband rode his bicycle. I had looked up a walking/running regimen online, and was going to do a 10 minute warm-up walk, then run for 1 minute followed by 1 minute of walking for another 10 minutes, then another 10 minute walk. That didn't work out so well. I was able to do the 10 minute warm-up fine. I was even fine after running 1 minute, but once i got to my second minute of running I couldn't go the whole 60 seconds. :( I am REALLY out of shape.

So, I spent the time walking and then doing a small run for 12-30 seconds (as long as i could go), and my ankles started to kill me, but I made sure I at least walked for 30 minutes. I was soaked in sweat afterward, and now I have a headache. I guess it was better than nothing.

joyfulloser
06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Sounds like your doing GREAT Serval!:D

Mkay...back from my run...5.4 Miles!!! Woot!

Serval87
06-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Thank you!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Good morning! I'm up early to get my run in before the heat hits... going to be about 95 today. Yikes!

Yesterday ended up being so hot that I did my run indoors on the treadmill. I alternated intervals of fast pace+zero incline with comfortable pace+moderate incline, for 4 miles. I was dripping with sweat and huffing and puffing. It felt oddly good!

ncuneo--WTG on 10 miles! At what distance did you start incorporating GU? As of right now, I HAVE to eat something small /carby (like melon & yogurt) before runs/exercise or I end up sluggish and woozy. I know that eventually, I'll be out for such a long distance that I'll need an alternate plan. You're a great inspiration to us newbies, btw!

joyful-- That is some serious determination right there, to run after a full day of cooking. Great sense of dedication! Congrats on reaching goal, too :)

Serval-- That's perfect! Just keep at it, and your body will slowly change and show you all it's capable of. Remember, slow and steady!

aimee-- I am also strangely delighted by sweat. It makes me feel strong and like I actually accomplished something. Great job!

indiblue--Glad your knee is cooperating. Keep at it!

natamars-- Congrats on the 5k! I'm also working on striking a balance between calories in & work expenditure out. However, running for me has become a challenge of endurance and strength, not my only/ primary tool for weight loss. It's a part of the big picture.

AppleBlossom-- Sounds like a great goal! Keep us posted.

CherryPie99-- Be proud of what you did. We've all got to start somewhere, and it takes our bodies time to change! I don't feel like a "runner" either, but I think we all are. :)

ncuneo
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
You know I can't remember fat pants. It was last year sometime when I was training for my first half. I do it because I run at around 4:30-5:00 am and I need a boost to get me out the door. I try not to use it if I'm doing less than 5 but sometimes I just need it. I only use the ones with caffeine, the others don't do anything for me. They make a big difference in my performance. If I'm hungry before I go though, the don't help with that, I need food in that case, but that's rare. It's rare that I get hungry during if I've been fueling properly.

I have an 11 miler next week I'm gonna try a mid run GU on that on, I'd like to see my end performance pick up.

No run today - ST and yoga!

JenMusic
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Checking in. indiblue - I hadn't thought about it till your post, but I don't think I'm dehydrated so much as I have TERRIBLE dry mouth. I don't like to chew gum because the sugar alcohols in sugar-free give my GI issues. :( Hmmm, I'll think about this some more.

As for this morning, I did 35 minutes around my neighborhood. Running in the (relatively) cool morning was so nice. Even though I was still soaked with sweat by the end, the running itself wasn't nearly as hot as the afternoon around here. On the other hand, my schedule only allows morning runs twice a week, and I always feel physically better/stronger/faster in the afternoons. Maybe a combo for the summer? I'll play around with with that.

Have a good day, everyone!

mkroyer
06-07-2011, 01:53 PM
nCUENO---quit researching and messing with your head... do what works, what you KNOW works, from experience..... I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest Hal higdons intermediate I program, with some modifications. I am more than happy to help you plan SPECIFICALLY WAHT modifications to make (ie; day, distance, speed, type of run, etc) so we can customize a program, while at the same time keeping with the spirit of a predesigned program that is as solid as they come (i personally used his intermediate II program for my first marathon, with GREAT SUCCESS, once i added a couple modifications). The reason i went with intermediate II is because i was inclined to do a higher mileage program, and also one with more than 1 20 mile training run..

ncuneo
06-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks MK, I have decided on Hals intermediate I and figured out how to incorporate a 5th day into my program without taking time away from anything else. I also took your advise and incorporated a 3rd 20 miler. But, and this might be a bad idea, I put it side by side with the novice program so I have the option to run less if it feels like too much. I'm an over achiever though so I'm pretty sure I'll complete the intermediate. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this...Ahhh...registration is in July and I'm really excited, but at the same time I can't believe it...if you'd have told me a year ago I'd be running my second half and gearing up to do a full I'd call you a liar. So crazy...I only want to run one, but everyone tells me I'll run on and be hooked and want to run more!

krampus
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I ran ~6 miles on Sunday, first run that long since the fall or maybe even the summer. I am starting to feel curious about how fast I actually go and whether I am way off on my guesses, but I don't want to soil the pure innocence-is-bliss nature of my runs.

Got people left and right preaching HIIT and how I should be doing X and X and using X heart rate monitor, etc, but I feel that it's "good enough" that I am getting out there and running exactly as long and far as I want to. I hate the idea of turning this recreation into "work" by measuring calorie burns or constantly competing with myself.

indiblue
06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Nice krampus!! You got a 10K under your belt.

Jen Are there gums without sugar alcohols? I have no idea bout these sorts of things. But I do know that I run much better and easier when I chew gum. I sweated buckets this morning (seriously, completely through my t-shirt, even over my sports bra) and didn't even think twice about thirst because my mouth was always minty fresh ^_^

--

Today was AWESOME. It was pretty humid but overcast. I ran inside the park near my house instead of the deadly hilly path around it. 40 minutes/6 km!! Pace was pretty slow at the end, but I can work on that later. This is the longest I've run since college and my hip problems.

Knee didn't bother me much at all. Waiting for my ice pack to freeze, then will ice that puppy down.

I am so happy right now.

krampus
06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
WOOO! Glad to hear it indiblue, nothing on earth feels better than a great run after an extended period of injury.

Serval87
06-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Did pretty good yesterday. I'm not ready to incorporate a whole minute of running every other minute for 10 minutes (pathetic, I know), so I did a 10-minute warm-up walk (avoiding hills for fear of hurting my ankles again), and then did 20 seconds of running for every minute and a half for 10 minutes. Then I did a 10 minute cool-down walk. When I ran, I made sure to run uphill, and believe it or not, my ankles were hardly sore this time. I was still pooped afterward, though.

I know this is nothing compared to everyone else's runs, but I'm getting there. I felt really good after my exercise, and even got some writing done tonight. The exercise goes really quick, and I like that. It also seems to clear my head a bit.

joyfulloser
06-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Serval - No...not pathetic...actually quite normal for a beginner. When I started, I could only run for 30 secs/walk 2 mins and repeat for 20 mins. It's consistency that is truly KEY with this running thing. Don't try to advance too quickly. Give your joints at least a week to adjust before increasing your running time. In 9-10 weeks you'll actually be AMAZED at how far you come. HANG IN THERE!:D

joyfulloser
06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I ran ~6 miles on Sunday, first run that long since the fall or maybe even the summer. I am starting to feel curious about how fast I actually go and whether I am way off on my guesses, but I don't want to soil the pure innocence-is-bliss nature of my runs.

Got people left and right preaching HIIT and how I should be doing X and X and using X heart rate monitor, etc, but I feel that it's "good enough" that I am getting out there and running exactly as long and far as I want to. I hate the idea of turning this recreation into "work" by measuring calorie burns or constantly competing with myself.

Ok..so this is going to sound kinda stupid, but I must say when I read the first sentence of your post, I thought "wow...Krampus had a fall? Hope she's ok"!:lol:

Personally...I feel that HIIT stuff is a total CROCK!:mad: I AGREE with you that we should NOT turn this totally relaxing, exhilerating and enjoying sport into WORK!:dancer:

Congrats on making it back...I DO know how you feel (recently back from knee injury);)

ncuneo
06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Decent 6 miler this morning. I've been getting "runner's high" a lot lately after longer runs or at least I think it's runner's high. Whatever it is it rules. It's anywhere from immediately after to about an hour later and lasts a while. It's this intense euphoric relaxed state. Probably just exhaustion, or a release of some kind of hormone. Love it!

ncuneo
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Holy cow joyful!!!!! Look at those guns!

I have to agree with HIIT being a bit of a hype - blasphemy I know. But it seems a little gimmicky to me and any benifit you'd get above and beyond normal cardio and ST seems minimal. Besides I'm all about enjoying my workouts.

SCraver
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
ncuneo - I ran a 10k a week and a half ago - did it in 1:18:40. So I have lots of room for improvement... but now I am also thinking... hmmm - wouldn't it be cool to do a HM. Right now, I can do speed intervals or hill intervals and then do a nice comfy 12 min mile and cool down. I can do a 5k in an 11 min mile pace. I can run a full mile in 10 mins - but I can't yet do more than a mile at that pace.

How did you ramp things up to start training for longer runs? Should I get faster before I try doing more distance? I am sure losing more weight would help (then I wouldn't be dragging the extra poundage with me).

SCraver
06-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Both monday and tuesday I did about 3.5 miles in about 50 mins. I did a lot of walking. Monday was after work and yesterday was at 3pm. It is just TOO hot to be run that late. I am going to have to either TM it or run in the mornings. NOT a morning person. ~gah!~ I was going to swim yesterday - but then realized I left my gym pass and goggles at work (I WAH on Tuesdays). I could get in to the gym without my pass - but I couldn't swim 80 laps without my goggles!

Today I am going to get some ab work in this evening on my new ab ball. Tomorrow is spin class. Then Friday my sis is going to watch my son while I squeeze in my swim in the evening. I might to a quick run or bike before my swim. Satruday morning run. Sunday off.

That is my plan. Maybe I should write it on my calendar.

ncuneo
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
SC speed has never really been my thing, MK can give you tons of advice on this. In general I don't like running at a pace more than my body naturally wants to do that day, it's just not fun for me. I like pushing myself on distance. Sometimes yeah I like to go balls to the wall on the treadmill during a 3 miler and see how fast I can go, but mostly I hang out at 10:30 and love it. It's taken me about a year to get there, I was at 12:00 for a long time in fact I was around that while training for my first half, so no I don't think it's necessary to increase your speed to train for a half. You can google your hearts content to find a good half program that will fit your lifestyle. Most of them start with a long run of 4 - 8 miles and increase gradually. Any of them will do. I think I did the one on marathonrookie.com, although Hal Higdon's are good too. I didn't like Hals so much because I think it peaked at 10 miles and that wasn't high enough for my comfort. Just know you'll have some easy long runs and some hard ones, but in the end it's a very rewarding experience.

ETA: A veteran marthoner told me other day that I need to get my pace up to a 9 min. mile for my first Full...I was/am kinda irritated by that. Stupidly I didn't ask why...but I'm surely not going to let my pace discourage me.

joyfulloser
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I run a 12:00 minute mile....for 5.4 miles.:) I only run faster when someone is chasing me with a cookie!:dizzy:

Apple Blossom
06-08-2011, 07:46 PM
When I ran marathons I had absolutely no concern about pace. I just wanted to finish. Unless you have a finish time goal, don't worry about it! I finished my 1st in about 4:30. I never ran further than 13 in training either. And each marathon after, I trained less and ran slower. The last one I ran was an hour slower, and I didn't train much at all. No half that time!

joyfulloser
06-08-2011, 10:43 PM
K....totally feeling lazy this evening. Totally blew off running this afternoon as planned (the heat just got to me so I went swimming instead:p)

That said...no excuses...on my way down to the dungeon for my 5 mile run. Send someone for me if I don't come back in about an hour...they will find me downstairs slumped over a treadmill!:p

joyfulloser
06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Back!!!:D Didn't make 5 miles though...the heat is incredible, must be 90 degrees outside tonight. The a/c just aint kickin it enough for me. Did an exhausting 3.2 miles though.:)

Kickin back with a nice ice creammmmmy protein fruit smoothie with lots and lots of ICE!:D Gonna go for an hour long late night swim!:carrot:

mkroyer
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
ETA: A veteran marthoner told me other day that I need to get my pace up to a 9 min. mile for my first Full...I was/am kinda irritated by that. Stupidly I didn't ask why...but I'm surely not going to let my pace discourage me.

WTF is that about? the runner thinks you should increase your running pace to a 9 minute mile, for a marathon??? With the speds you post, i can see that being very aceivable for a 10K, but not at this point for a marathon.. However, a 9 min/mi will give you a ub 4 hour marathon.... but this is your first and you are only concerned with COMPLETING IT.
You are going to run it at the pace that you can comfortably (HAHA) finish 26.2 miles. For you, i imagine that will be your base pace (of 10:30's????) make sure to practice this pace on your long runs, and as they increase in length..... if you were training in a more advanced fashion, the strategy would be different...... FOr you, i think your long runs can be done at your base pace (instead of slower, like is alot of times recommended... this is generally so people can recover faster) i think your confidence/mental health will be able to recover better if you do the long runs at the pace you are comfy with

Serval87
06-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Do you run every day of the week, or take small breaks?

I took a two day break and did a dvd both days. Earlier this evening I took a short walk. I plan to walk/run tomorrow. :)

krampus
06-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Had a really craptastic 3 1/2 ish mile run yesterday, had to gasp and walk like 8 times. I walked about 3 1/2 miles at lunch so that might have contributed to the sore feeling, but ugh. The whole way I felt like I was dying. It's been super humid recently and I feel like I have to try twice as hard just to breathe.

Serval87
06-10-2011, 07:33 AM
I hear ya, krampus. The humidity here is pretty bad too.

On another note, I believe I may have figured out why my ankles hurt so bad when I speed-walk. I think it's because I'm still wearing my old shoes, and I've lost an inch or so on my feet (weird, I know) and my feet slide inside my shoes with every step I take. I'm going to switch to my size 8s this time and see if it makes a difference.

joyfulloser
06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Left knee is feeling GREAT this morning. Gonna run 5 miles today...still too hot to run outdoors though, so inside treadmill here I gooo!!!

Serval - I personally don't run everyday (although some do). I used to when I first started, but as my running intensity grew, it just became "bad news" for my knees. Every other day (3-4 days/week) yields excellent results and I don't run the most common risk of failure = BURNOUT!:D I don't do anything on my days off (except swim, which I don't consider exercise cuz I don't sweat). So your doing more than I with the DVDS which is great cuz I'm lazy!:dizzy:

It's sooooooooooo hot in my neck of the woods (south). Times like this that I really appreciate my pool. Miss the beach though...been dreaming of going. Just me, a chair, some cold water and a boogie board!:p

indiblue
06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
45 mins/6 km+ this morning with my boyfriend. He had just gotten off an international flight at midnight 8 hours earlier, but lovingly indulged my request for an AM run. swoon :)

krampus sorry to hear about your latest runs... urg those are so annoying. I still don't know why some days running is so much harder than others.

Serval Get new shoes!!! :P Especially since you are incorporating running into your walking. It's so important to have support if you're putting impact on your joints.

To answer your question about daily versus taking days off, I only allow myself a run every other day. I don't think it's extremely important to take days off if you're just walking, but if you're walking with running intervals I'd imagine your joints will thank you if you cross-train, lift, or do any other sort of activity that isn't so stressful on the joints on your non-running days. Plus cross-training is a good idea in general as opposed to just sticking to one activity.

joyful Well done, getting yourself to the gym! Hope the smoothie & swim combo was lovely.

ncuneo and mkroyer or other experienced runners, I'm planning on doing a 10K in August. I'm at 45 minutes and plan to add 1 km to my 6 km runs each week, ideally running 10K each clip by a month from now. Is that a good point to start speed training? My runs are identical in distance and time right now and I'm wondering when a good point to start doing longer runs, recovery runs, and speed work is. Advice?

Serval87
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I just finished a walk/run. My new shoes worked pretty well. I had minimal pain in my ankles. :) My heart-rate didn't get as high, because it was mild this morning as opposed to my usual afternoon/evening walk/runs when it's humid. Oh, on my first sprint, I didn't notice that I actually went to 30 seconds instead of 20. I didn't push that on the others, though, but I just thought I would share. I also plan to walk in town today since I'm going grocery shopping.

ncuneo
06-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Indie - give me a moment to pick myself up off the floor - experienced runner! Me? It felt weird to be called that - thanks! I'm not exactly sure if you're asking how to train for a 10k and increase distance or how to improve your speed - or both? Could you clarify that a little?

Serval - I know there are a lot of avid runners out there that run daily, personally it's not for me. I prefer to mix it up with strength training and yoga so I run 4xs a week. When I start training for my marathon later this year I will increase that, but that's training. I'm already starting to feel it in my knees a bit and I want a long runner career.

Joyful! I saw your goal post. First of all - congrats!!!! Second - you look AMAZING! I am SO jealous of that tummy! Way to go! That is so awesome.

Krampus - I am right there with you on the craptastic run today! I got worked by a substitute yoga instructor last night who thought it would be awesome to do some power yoga! It was awesome, I loved it, but holy crap I'm feeling things in places today I didn't know I could.

It's a cut back week so I have 8 miles slotted for Sunday. I'm glad, I'm beat!

Matilda08
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone! I will be back to my running routine I got new running sneakers yesterday and think it will be alll the difference. I miss my jogs:(

mkroyer
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
ncuneo and mkroyer or other experienced runners, I'm planning on doing a 10K in August. I'm at 45 minutes and plan to add 1 km to my 6 km runs each week, ideally running 10K each clip by a month from now. Is that a good point to start speed training? My runs are identical in distance and time right now and I'm wondering when a good point to start doing longer runs, recovery runs, and speed work is. Advice?

The only way you are really going to progress is if you change things u p a bit--- considering you have an athletic goal, it doesnt make sense to run the exact same distance, at the exact same speed, every run, or you will ONLY be able to run that distance at that speed. 1km a week increase is only .6 mi increase per week, which is perfectly reasonable, so within a month you will be at the 10K distnace... you COULD increase the distance faster than that, if you wanted. If you have a goal of getting faster, there is no reason you cant start doing speed work now. because of the distance of a 10K (kinda long) i would focus on doing 1 km or 1/2 Km repeats at a slightly faster tempo than you run now.... it should be out of your comfort zone, but you should be able to finish them. Allow yourself a 1:1 ratio of recovery time, for the time being. So 1 km fast, and 1 km recovery pace. Ideally you want to do these at your lactic acid threshold to reap the most benefit..... if you have a HR monitor this can be determined online easily... im at the point where i dont need one... i can tell exactly when i am running at threshold.... and sometimes threshold is higher or lower pace, depending on the day. I think 1 speed workout a week will be more than sufficient.. and now that im thinking about it, you might want to start with 800 meter repeats (1/2 km) with 800 m recovery. you can start doing these now :) If you dont want to go as fast as threshold, you could always just shoot for maybe 30 sec/mi faster on the repeats. Tempo runs are great also, but i dont know how fast you are capable of running/sustaining 2+ miles. Another idea is to do your usual distance, at your usual speed, but the last 1 or 2 miles increase the pace.
These are NOT "HIIT" intervals...... work on incresing your leg turnover rate during these.... break past your comfort zone..... a great idea following a speed workout is to do an easy recovery the NEXT DAY... not wait an extra day......... Also, since you are going to be incresing your distance a km per week, only do it on 1 run (your long run) + 1 speed workout, plus 1 recovery +1 at your current normal pace distance. There is no reason that once you hit the 10K mark, you cant keep increasing the distance every week, or every other week...... it will make running a 10K a breeze if you can really run up to 8 miles, for instance

How long have you been running?

mkroyer
06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Ncueno and Krampus- I Had a craptastic run yesterday too!! how funny.... it was so friggin humid and muggy... i had no energy and felt gross and had to keep stopping...my new running skirt kept rifding up and was pissing me off.... all i could think of the whole time was wanting to be done, lol... i ended up only doing 4 miles.

Plus it was an after work run, and i almost NEVER run after work... i get up so early, generally by 3:00pm im DONE for the day.. mentally, physically drained

ncuneo
06-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking a girlband or super hero group - the Craptastic 3! Sorry couldn't resist!

MK - do you like skorts in general? I'm on the fence whether or not to try one.

indiblue
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
mkroyer Thanks!! That's really helpful. I've always heard of the whole 'don't worry about speed, just keep increasing distance' thing which is why I wasn't sure when to start incorporating the speed/recovery/tempo runs you've discussed. The recommendations you've made seem sound and I'll definitely try them out each week.

I used to run a lot in college but stopped for several years. I stared again probably in March, I think.

I'm trying to take it EXTRA slow because I have hip impingement, which my orthopedic surgeon wants me to have surgery on before I do any activity... my physical therapist things I can do what I want within reason, and with a lot of hip strengthening PT. I live overseas and can't get the surgery now but I also can't be sidelined for years either. The hip impingement (it's called FAI) also has related issues- my ITB flares up frequently and I have had some knee pain in recent weeks that I've been able to get to 90% recovery with ice, PT, foam roller, etc. So all that to say I'm trying to proceed cautiously with increasing mileage.

Thanks again for the recommendations- they are truly helpful. Will report next week on how things are going.

ann71
06-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Hi!
I'm trying to build up from 25-30 minutes runs (3-4 times a week) to 45 minutes. Did 33 earlier this week and felt terrible. Did 35 today and felt pretty good.

sznn
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi All,

These posts are just what i needed. I had THE most craptastic run today.
Bloody, bloody. awful.

First 10k were so-so, then it all went south, walk breaks practically every 5 min, and i could barely get going after the walk breaks.
Did 22k total - but it was sad :(

This was my last long run in my 'too little/too lat'e 1/2 marathon training program.
I am considering blowing off the race (2 weeks today) because I don't want a hideous finish time that will haunt me till my next 1/2.

Sigh, i was supposed to be faster than last yr...what happened?

S

natamars
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Finally got in a run this morning - warmed up with a .75 mile walk, then jogged 3.25 miles. I hadn't been out since my 5K last Saturday - TOM, bad schedules this week, weather. It was cool and damp here this morning - loved it!

I'm really impressed with all of you running trhough the heat and humidity. I take it inside to the treadmill when it's bad, although my gym never seems to get nice and cool when it's really bad out. After a whole winter of running on the treadmill who knew I'd love running outside so much?

Still trying to increase my distance to a 10K by the end of July or so and then try to work on speed a bit. For all you experienced runners, how long did it take to get your speed up? I've run 3 5K's now, in 35-36 minutes, and would love to get that down to 30 minutes or so.

Serval87
06-12-2011, 03:32 AM
I wasn't able to walk/run at all Saturday. :( My stupid stomach hurt all day. Friday night's pizza= bad idea. I will try to get up early and do my walk/run before church Sunday. That sounds like a plan. :D

Edit: I just got back from my walk/run and am enjoying a huge bowl of Greek Yogurt and blueberries (I estimate under 250 cals. It would be less, but I wanted to finish off what was left in my Greek Yogurt, so it doesn't go bad. I also may have went a little over the serving size of blueberries) and a nice tall glass of ice-water. Soooo worth it. I got this moment that was so wonderful this morning. I was on one of my running intervals, and I ran into the clearing, and the sun was so bright, and it was glinting off a freshly-cut field. SO lovely. Oh, and when I was coming down my driveway, about to go into the house, I saw a hummingbird. :D

ncuneo
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Phew! Almost tanked my 8 mile cutback run this morning.

I felt fine when I started, but about 2 miles in I got weak and light headed then hungry. This has happened on occassion and it takes about .5-1 mile of pushing through and then I feel better. But my pace today was craptastic! Oh well, at least I got my miles in. I did push really hard my last mile 9:30, even that left me with an 11:00 average today...ugh! My legs hurt a bit today too, which is a little odd for me. I assume I'm still recovering from power yoga.

ann71
06-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Aw, what a great day, Serval.

I had a really nice run today, too. Made it 36 minutes, in my quest for 45. Felt zonked at the end, but that's the longest I've made it in quite a while.

JenMusic
06-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey all!

I had a procedure (lithotripsy) done on Friday to break up a big old kidney stone I have, so I've spent my weekend recovering from that. I'm feeling better now, but still really sore. Don't know how long it's going to take until I'm up to running, but in the meantime, enjoy your runs everyone!

Serval87
06-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Congrats on the time, ann71.

Hope you feel better, JenMusic.

I really would like to walk/run today, but my stomach is hurting yet again. I took a small break from cheese, and had cheese yesterday, and it really hurt my stomach. I guess it's my body's way of telling me to cut it down or out. Anyway, I might try to go later, but if I absolutely can't I will either do a dvd, ride my stationary bike, or make this my off day and avoid cheese the rest of the week. This is for the best. I've been wanting to lower my cheese intake, anyway, but I'm a bit addicted to it.

Hope everyone else has a great day. :)

joyfulloser
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
TOM today. No wonder why I just had to eat about 5 of those toll house cookies I made yesterday. I also had to eat another 5 oatmeal raisin cookies too!:eek: What's a girl to do...they were homemade:?: Good thing they were small cookies!:lol:

K...running has been aweful this week (only ran 2 days for a total of 8.6 miles:() Left knee has been acting up and weather has been intolerably hot. Been swimming alot this week. For some reason, I just can't consider swimming an exercise. Maybe its cuz you don't sweat. Anything that doesn't make me sweat is NOT exercise IMHO!:D Crazy...I know...and well..possibly inaccurate...I also know...but it's the way I FEEL!;)

But mkay...nuff excuses...I hate them. This week I'm starting off with a bang...it's 5 miles today or BUST!!!:carrot: :dancer: :carrot:

ann71
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey Serval. I am "mostly" vegan; when I do cheat it's with cheese.
I've found that about half the time I eat cheese now, I have a terrible GI reaction to it. It's really good incentive to give it up for good!

I hope your stomach feels better soon and you can be back to running.

NTexas
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
After a week off program, I got my two miles in today, but I hurt. I took the week off because 1) hip pain and 2) working my son's camp so no time or energy. Now today I ran 2 miles and my quads are s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g. Walking around the grocery store this afternoon I was limping. Amazing how quickly we get out of shape! Hope I recover in time for my run on Friday and more cardio tomorrow *bites nails*

ETA: My legs feel much better the next morning so hope I can resume my running program tomorrow :)

Serval87
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you, ann71. I took a nap earlier, and just woke up and my stomach is still a bit crampy. After church we usually eat at my parents' house on Sunday, and she made this insanely-cheesy lasagna with Mexican cornbread (which also had cheese in it). I usually down several pieces of both, but this time I decided to just have one of each. Now, I believe I will not partake of it anymore.

Of course, then later that night, I got hungry and had two steak fajitas. I believe it wouldn't have hurt my stomach had I not put cheese in it (albeit a serving size). I need to stop eating so late at night. It messes my eating up the next day. It's already 4:16 pm and I haven't eaten a single thing, because I feel blah. I'm going to give myself an eating curfew, I believe.

Edit: I'm going to try to get in a walk/run, anyway. Unless it's too painful, I'm going for a full 30 minutes. Wish me luck!

Edit again: And. Done. About 35 minutes. Woot. I feel so much better now. :) Tomorrow will be my exercise DVD day. I believe I will do a Jari Love weight-lifting one. My arms are going to be in agony. lol.

indiblue
06-14-2011, 01:48 AM
7K/4.3 miles in 50 minutes today. My pace is definitely not where I want it to be but at least endurance is building up.

Between advice I've received on here and a bit of research I've put together my 12-week 10k training schedule. I'm doing one long run (such as today), one temp or speed training (thursdays), and one easy run (fridays). Two days of ST, one day of XT, and one day of rest.

Is 3 days of running each week enough? I'm hesitant to run on back to back days (except for the easy day) and do 4x a week because of my knee. It still acts up about 4-5K into my runs. Icing it 2-3x a day.

I should be able to do 10K by the end of the month with no problem, but I definitely want to work on speed. I need to get <1 hour for my 10K. At this pace it looks quite doable.

joyfulloser
06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Ran the most POWERFUL 5.4 miles I've run in a long time. Paying for it today though.:( Directly in back of my left knee cap hurt so much that I was tossing and turning all night!:eek: It's crazy, cuz I felt GREAT after my late night run, it's only AFTER the fact do I feel pain. I'm beginning to get a little discouraged because this has been going on for months now.:mad:

Something's gotta give. I CAN'T keep taking 800mgs of Ibruprofin after every run...can I?

I'm beginning to think that I may have to cut down my mileage from 5 to 3 miles.:( I would absolutely HATE that, cuz I don't even enter my "special place" until the 3rd mile!!! Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:(

Today I'm getting serious...time for weight training...heavy leg weight training. Will forego all the upper body stuff...don't need it...plus I think the pull ups (sporatically) are working guuuuuurrrrrrrrreat!:D Ok..this is the plan, 4 sets of deadlifts, 4 sets of wall squats, 4 sets of quad extensions. Sound good? Any takers? :?:

natamars
06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Nice run last night. It was on the cloudy, cool side, which are my favorite conditions, but the sun peaked through and I saw some of the sunset just as I got near the beach. I ran on a different road which had these nice, rolling hills and hit that point where I felt like I could keep going forever. But I knew there was a huge hill awaiting me on the way home, so I finally turned around :-)

Mapped my route when I got home - .75 mi warmup, 4 mile jog. Had hoped it was longer.

indiblue, I'm aiming for 3X/week also. I don't like to run on consecutive days. I've felt some twinges in my shins and I just don't want to take a chance of injury. For my goals(4 miles to 10K by September, eventually trying to get from 11:17 mile to 10 minute mile) it will have to be enough.

krampus
06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
jesus h. christ, third garbage run in a row this morning. Went less than 3 miles, that awful jog-walk-jog-walk thing. It's not just breathing that's hard, my muscles rebel and feel sluggish too. I noticed my violin practice has been subpar the past couple days as well, and I feel enormous. Bad place to be, hope something magically changes.

mkroyer
06-14-2011, 11:46 AM
joyful-- how many REPS of each exercise? I would forgo the leg extension and add in lunges... why wall squats? why not regular squats? Just asking? also romanion deadlifts are GREAT for hamstrings.... as are glute/ham raises..... Single legged stiff leg, or romanian deadlifts are great, and i mean GREAT for building your butt! Its ALWAYS a good idea to add uni-lateral work along with bi-lateral work... for most of us, one side is stronger, and it over compensates for the weaker side. Doing a couple uni-lateral evercises, like lunges and single legged deadlifts helps correct the imbalances and forces the weaker side to work just as hard.

mkroyer
06-14-2011, 12:00 PM
had a fantastic psuedo-longer run... was going for 13 miles (a half mary) but ended up doing only 12, cuz between the rain that fell during my run and my SWEAT, i was completely soaked, which resulted in SEVER CHAFING everywhere i had a seam rubbing against my skin! OUCH! i couldnt take the pain and cut it a LITTLE short...... forgot to put on my body glide :( ANy way, ive been really focusing on cementing my goal marathon pace into muscle memory (sub 8:20..shooting for 8:10 avg so it gives me a LITTLE time cushion during the marathon, like for bathroom breaks)-- and i think i have it down finally! i can quite easily fall into around an 8:10 to 8:20, subconciously, which has been my goal the past month...... it was just a pace i never used before, so my body couldnt maintain it... i always eneded up running FASTER, or zoning out and falling into a 9 minute mile, or whatever... but i did my 12 miles in EXACLT 98 minute...... an EXACT 8:10 min/mile avg....... it woulda been faster actually, avgin just UNDER 8 min/mi for the 12, except i had two brutal hills that left me with a couple of miles that took around 9 minutes to run. Anyway, like i said, IMTHRILLED that i nailed that pace for that distance..... woulda ended up right around 1 hr 45 min for a half marathon, whichis exactly where i need to be if i want to qualify for the Boston Marathon.... i guess now i have to startactually following a training plan.... ;) i havent been getting up and running in the morning for a long time.... i get up and go to the gym, lift or do my cross fit class, but i always end up RUNNIGN at lunchtime, or later in the morning onthe weekends.... i need to start waking up and running before work though. ! hour is not enough time once i start doing mid-length runs during the middle of the week (8-12 miles)....sigh...... i just fell out of the habit over the winter...... i need to suck it up and get outta bed and just run in the morning!
Im apprehensive though, because ive ben having some issues (TMI WARNING) a medication i am on makes me have to use the bathroom a few timesin the am, and add to that the fact that running/exercise in the morning always stimulates me to, ah-- go...... well, im worried about being able to find places, and QUICKLY when the need strikes on an early run.... sorry for graphic image guys.... if i was trail running in the morning it wouldnt be an issue....... just find a bush or something and go... but running through neighborhoods..... i dont think anyone would appreciate me using their front yard as a toilet! HAHA... ok, iim done now

INDIblue---- 3x a week is fine for now... as your muscles get stronger, try and run 4X a week... but you have plenty of tome to ease into it...... if you have a gioal (and you do!) running 3X a week you have to make EVERY RUN COUNT, you know what i mean?

I can help you with paces you should be hitting on speed work and interval times and distances, if youd like.

ALso, quality, focused strength training can really help with your knee issues as well.

indiblue
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM
:cp: NICE MRKOYER!! What an awesome time! Way to push yourself and holy moly 8:10?? So impressed. I remember when I could run ONE mile in that time- when I was 14! Very very wowed :)

Glad you think 3x is fine, for now. Yes, as muscles get stronger and take work away from my weak little joints I'll feel ok bumping it up to 4x.

And I hear you on the advice to make every run count. I kept thinking that on my long run today, it was the motivation to finish the 7km. After all, I wouldn't get a chance to do a long run for another week, so I gotta make this one worth it.

Thanks for all your help and support! :)

joyfulloser
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
joyful-- how many REPS of each exercise? I would forgo the leg extension and add in lunges... why wall squats? why not regular squats? Just asking? also romanion deadlifts are GREAT for hamstrings.... as are glute/ham raises..... Single legged stiff leg, or romanian deadlifts are great, and i mean GREAT for building your butt! Its ALWAYS a good idea to add uni-lateral work along with bi-lateral work... for most of us, one side is stronger, and it over compensates for the weaker side. Doing a couple uni-lateral evercises, like lunges and single legged deadlifts helps correct the imbalances and forces the weaker side to work just as hard.

15 reps x 4 sets = 60 reps total for each exercise.

The reason for the wall squats are because my knees HATE lunges and free weight squats. It seems despite my youthful looks ;), age is catching up with meh!:mad:

I will look into the single legged deadlifts...sounds like something I can use. My legs are ridiculously uneven (see below). My right side quads and hammies are outrageous...and while my left side quads are great, my left side hammies are pitifully undeveloped!:?: Lunges make my knees pop no matter how good the form.

I do, however, own a squat rack, so I may add that in. Gonna try playing with it all tonight and develop a routine that will even out my quad/hamstring ratio on both sides. I think that my knees need serious HELLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!:^:

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer. Not sure how long my session should be to get good muscle building results. The good thing is that my muscles grow fast...probably faster than your average woman, so like with anything, I just need to be consistent. Thanks again.:)

ncuneo
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Indi - As other have stated 3xs is fine for a 10k

Joy - there was an article a few months ago in Runner's World that ibuprofen is not recommended after runs...I can't remember why, maybe a google session is in order. I take Alieve from time to time, not sure if that is recommended either. I've also started taking glucosamine chonjointen (sp?) w/ MSM. It for joint lubrication and maybe swelling - can't remember. It seems to help though.

MK - BODY GLIDE - it have been my savior for chafing at my bra line and bikini line in the summer months.

4 miles yesterday, it was ok. ST and yoga today and 6 miles tomorrow.

RNmomof5
06-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Hello! I never really post here because I don't really feel like a runner, but I'm hoping some of you veteran runners can help me out. I just completed c25k last week. I am able to run 5k in 36 min. My question is should I now try to improve speed or distance? I am really considering doing the bridge to 10k, but am not certain because it goes back to run/walk intervals.The walk intervals are very short though, only a minute, I think.

joyfulloser
06-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks Ncuneo!!!:D Donno why I didn't think of MSM. Used to take it couple of years ago (think I may still have some) during my bb'ing phase!:p Come to think of it...my joints snap, crackle, popped alot, but after taking that stuff for a while...it stopped.

Will try and let you know if it worked.

*UPDATE* - Just played around last night seeing what hurt, and what didn't hurt. Did 3 sets of pull ups. TOM, so not as strong as usual, but able to do 7 pull-ups. Did 1 set of wall squats (this is DEFINITELY what I NEED to be doing...OOOUUUUUUUUUUCH!), squats (on rack)...that's all.:( Gonna do better during the week...getting serious may take me some time. Sorry..but I'm used to not having to work that hard for muscles...tee hee!:D

Knee feels good this morning. Officially ending my relationship with Ibruprofin and treating my knee pain holistically (natural herbs, remedies). Will run 5+ miles today. Enjoy your day all!:carrot:

Serval87
06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Just got back from my walk/run. 32 minutes. :)

I'm happy to say that I might already be gaining stamina. I noticed it a couple days ago when I did my first DVD in weeks, and was able to go through it without a lot of breaks (I usually have to take tons of breaks on almost any dvd, because I get out of breath or my muscles hurt). Yesterday I did Jari Love's Ripped dvd, because I want to incorporate weights into my routine (Wow, listen to that .... My routine. LOL), and I did it a lot better than I ever thought I would. Sad to admit, I really don't give myself much credit. I did take some breaks in the dvd, but it wasn't nearly as much as i thought I would (I viewed the dvd a while back and already told myself I wouldn't be able to do it just by looking at the moves and reps). I went in only planning to do 30 minutes, but I kept going and did the whole 54 minutes. :D

Also, today, on two of my running intervals, I didn't realize I went over my 20 second mark (one was 27, one was 25).

So, I'm getting there! It may be slow, but I'm feeling positive. :)

indiblue
06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I have always wanted to try glucosamine. I'm only 25 and have never been overweight, yet I have always had intense joint problems. Ncuneo you recommend it? I am trying fish oil right now but I haven't noticed a difference yet... perhaps it takes a few months to take effect? Anyway I'm up for switching to glucosamine if people seem to have success with it.

Congrats on your exercise, Serval! Glad to hear the stamina is building up :)

--

ST today. I did what felt like a shorter routine today (squats, bench press, lunges, lat pull downs, calf raises, wall sits, abs on the stability ball) but my legs and arms were shaking by the end so maybe it was more intensive than I thought it was. That or my body was just out of wack today.

Bad news: right hip has been hurting all day today :(.

Good news: my first speed training tomorrow!

ncuneo
06-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm really bad about being consistent with taking my vits and supplements, but yes I think I do see a difference when I take glucosamine consistency. My knee pain is pretty recent, since maybe April or so, not sure what's causing it. It's kinda weird. At this point I'm just trying to be gentle, run on pavement as opposed to sidewalk whenever possible, rest and be consistent with the glucosamine. I do also take Alieve when it's really bugging me. It was both knees, then just my right (that one I think was a minor yoga injury which seems to have gone away) and now it's my left. So I'm not possitive what the deal it. It's not bad enough to cause me not to run or see a doctor at this point.

6 miles this morning. I thought I was going to tank it. I didn't get much sleep last night and didn't feel like running when I got up - but I made myself and it turned out well. I was relieved. This new training program is starting to kick my but. I'm starting to exceed my normal weekly milage and it's a challenge. Worries me a little with my marathon plans and knowing that me weekly milage will be in the 30s and 40s as opposed to the 20s it's in now. But that's the point of this training schedule - it's kind of a build up.

The only thing I need to figure out is what to do the 10 weeks between my half and the begining of training for my FM. MK - what do you think, cut back (18-20 mile weeks) and rest for 10 weeks, continue at upper 20s or start to build...

fattymcfatty
06-15-2011, 05:48 PM
So I am finally running now that I have a new treadmill in my garage. I work out constantly, was a former athlete, but HATED running. I'd get this knife pain in my side and just stop. So about 3 months ago, I decided I was going to have to suck it up and be a runner because I was not getting as "toned" as I would like. I'd been working out every day since July, but alternating Elliptical machine and 30 day shred. So my DH is a runner and ran track, and one day I went with him. I got that pain, but kept going and then it went away!! So we got a treadmill for 50.00 to add to my elliptical already in the garage (SAHM right now so I can't make it to a gym). Anyway, I was getting good, and that sucker broke! So two months go by, no running. Well, a couple weeks ago we got a new to us machine from a used fitness equipment store. So I'm back to running. Did 30 minutes total, and I run for 20 minutes at 4.5, work my way up to 5, which to me is hauling ***! LOL!! Then I do a speed walk at 10 incline and then cool down. Of course, DH can kick that sucker up to 10 and run on it and for him 6 is a leisurely jog!! So I am doing the treadmill MWF and circuit training T,Th. Today was the 2 time with the treadmill. So far, so good!

mkroyer
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Ncueno--- to keep it simeple during the 10 weeks between.. #1) RECOVER (ie 1-2 weeks of little to no running, easy, yoga, etc) I say this, because if you keep training hard straight thru now till the day of the full, all i can say is BURNT OUT= YOU. lol ;) anyway, take time to recover from running. ALso use a month or so to build UP TO whatever the first couple weeks mileage is at. It wouldnt hurt to throw in a couple longer than youve done (13.1) runs as well.... 14-15 milers. BUt at least for the first half of your time in between, work on recovery, This means you can keep the INTENSITY up, but reduce the VOLUME.

joyfulloser
06-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Ran 5.4 Miles tonight!!!:carrot: Went swimming earlier for an hour, 1/2 hr in the jacuzzi, but I guess that don't count for exercise..eh?:p

Sure hope I'm not sufferring with excrutiating knee pain tomorrow.:?: Night all.:)

indiblue
06-16-2011, 01:52 AM
mkroyer love the new pic!

ncuneo thanks for the input on the glucosamine. I'll give it a shot.

Just did my first speed workout. 4 km, including a 1.5 km warmup, 4x .25km sprints with .25 recovery jogs, .5 cooldown. It was fine. Definitely very clear that I do have a lot of work to do on building up my speed.

Quads, triceps, biceps, and whatever is on my sides between my lats and pecs are really sore from yesterday's lifting. Quads were pretty tired for the run today, especially the sprints.

Serval87
06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't know if I've asked this before or not, but is it normal for my heart-rate to get between 160-180 when running? The only discomfort is that I have to breathe a bit deeply. There's no chest pains or anything like that.

natamars
06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
45 min walk/jog last night. Felt sluggish and heavy and had to walk up the big hills. The bloating hit me - maybe the seltzer I drank before? Ugh.

Serval, my heart rate gets pretty high too - I think to 170 or so. I've heard that the whole "220 minus your age" thing as a maximum heart rate is just a guideline and that everyone is different.

joyfulloser
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Serval - As long as you can still carry on conversation while you are exercising...you are good.:) Keep up the good work!

Turns out I did have some MSM in the cabinet from my supplement junkie days!:lol: Fortunately, it is part of a very good multi I used to take. Orange Triad by Controlled Labs. Started them today. Will report here any changes.

Today...my left knee is not 100%, but better than after last run. Much better. Just a little sore on the right side of the left kneecap....so I'm thankful.:) Today is Romanian deadlifts. My goal is to think only HAMSTRINGS...I want HUGE HAMSTRINGS...GRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!:D

krampus
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Dumb monsoon/rainy season getting in the way of running. The plus side to this is that I know that if I go a long time (4+ days) without running I usually have an excellent run.

CherryPie99
06-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Ran 2.5 miles on my lunch hour today. It was killing me today for some reason. I passed a mom and little boy about 2 who said to his mother "Mom - hers is running!" and she commented yes and then as I got by them I heard him go "Hers is running FAST!" and for a split second I was thinking in my head "That little s**t" is making fun of me!" Then I realized that to a 2 year old it probably looked like I was running fast.

On a positive note, my first mile I did in my fastest time ever. Don't laugh - 12:17. Second mile not so good. But just as short time ago I was running 15 minute miles on the treadmill, so I am improving...

mkroyer
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
indiblue-- Thanks!
Todays run-- 7 miles ~55:59 min = 8 min/mi avg
was really playing alot with my speed though.. for some reaon ,, no matter what i did, i just couldnt hit my Marathon goal pace (around 8:10....) i was either too fast or too slow... usually too fast

ncuneo
06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Well since everyone else is changing their avi I thought I'd follow suit - you all look great!

Great work MK, it really sounds like you're having fun! Glad to hear it.

No run today - ST and Yoga - god I love yoga, almost as much as running, but in a different way.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-16-2011, 11:14 PM
My legs felt like lead on my run the other day. Isn't that so annoying.. when your brain is in it, but your body won't cooperate?

I agree with above posters, everyone's pics are lovely!

joyfulloser
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Left knee has very slight twinge of soreness, but generally feeling much better.:) Will run 5+ miles today! PIZZA night...yeahhhhhh!:carrot:

Serval87
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Just got back from my walk/run. Did 15 extra seconds on my running interval by "accident". :D Stamina is building!

aimeebell
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
My legs felt like lead on my run the other day. Isn't that so annoying.. when your brain is in it, but your body won't cooperate?

I agree with above posters, everyone's pics are lovely!

My problem is usually the opposite, I have to convince my brain to get into the game. I have never had any leg pain (knock on wood). Once in awhile I get a side cramp. My normal/comfortable pace is 10:30 mm. When I push it faster than that, I get a side cramp. But really, running it just as much a mental sport for me, getting the mind to stay positive. It's best when the mind turns off altogether actually. Those are my favorite runs, when I can't remember a thing afterwards LOL

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
My problem is usually the opposite, I have to convince my brain to get into the game. I have never had any leg pain (knock on wood). Once in awhile I get a side cramp. My normal/comfortable pace is 10:30 mm. When I push it faster than that, I get a side cramp. But really, running it just as much a mental sport for me, getting the mind to stay positive. It's best when the mind turns off altogether actually. Those are my favorite runs, when I can't remember a thing afterwards LOL

Yep, I've had that issue too. Someday things will align! :)

aimeebell
06-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Today wasn't a scheduled running day for me. I had gone for a four mile bike ride with my boys earlier. But then my boys left with their dad for the next 10 days. I don't deal with that really well, free weekends are a welcome break, ten days is a long time. Anyway, instead of taking it out on a pint of icecream, I decided to sweat it out on an evening run. Felt like I could run forever, but my iPod lost it's charge, and if I couldn't get credit for it in my mile tracker, then I didn't want to run any more. Silly! Still got in 4.1 miles, felt awesome, sweat a lot. I love evening runs, but rarely get to do them.

BONUS: I have been working on being able to do push-ups for the past couple months. I started at being able to do one-half of one before I fell on my face. Today, I got to 10 full, real push-ups. BOOM!

Serval87
06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I just finished a 32 minute walk/run. I did a downhill run on my first interval, and didn't realize that instead of doing a 20 second interval I did a 42 second interval instead! Oh, yeah! :D Stamina is definitely building. I've also noticed that my pace is more steady and I've been able to control my speed better, making it just over a jog, instead of full out sprinting like when I started.

To be honest, I really am loving this. I have always loved taking walks, but this is special, especially in the early morning. I've been trying to go around 6-7 am. I love how it feels like I'm the only one for just a little while, and the air always smells so fresh and nice. :) It clears my head, and it's made me able to write more. I actually woke up really early this morning, and was happy to look out the window, because I was anticipating my walk/run. I think this actually might be something I stick to, and I feel happy about that.

julesp313
06-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I haven't posted in a while as I've been busy switching jobs and didn't really run for a couple of weeks, except for a few short run/walk sessions. My husband and I just did our first 10k yesterday - we've done a number of 5k races but this was our first attempt at a longer distance. It was hot - 80 degrees at 7am - so that affected things a bit, even though we're used to running in warm weather. The race was at the speedway, so we ran a lap of the NASCAR track, then went around the speedway to the drag strip and got to run actually ON the drag strip, which was very cool - except it ends in quite a hill (to stop runaway race cars!) so that was rough. Then we ran under the grandstands, which was nice and shady but blocked my Garmin so I had to rely on how I felt to keep my pace. Actual race distance ended up being just a hair under 6.5 miles instead of 6.2, and I did it in 1:18:38, which I was ecstatic about - my goal was 1:30. Now it's onwards onto half marathon training if I don't want to fail miserably in October!

joyfulloser
06-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Aimebell[b] - GREAT JOB on the pushups!:D It's amazin how fast our muscles respond by getting stronger...isn't it? Grrrrhhhh!:carrot:

[b]Serval - Glad to hear your enjoyin it. That's exactly how I felt when I first got started back in September '10...like, "wow...this is something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life!":D

julesp313 - Anyone who can run in 80 degree weather is AMAZING IMHO!:eek: I am such a wuuuuusss when it comes to running outside in either really cold or really hot weather. Fortunately...I have a treadmill.:) GREAT JOB!

K...my only workout for the past 2 days has been braiding my hair. It has taken me a total of 24 hours (over the course of 2 days) to braid my entire head of hair (with really long extensions). Looks like Bo Derek from 10!:carrot:

JenMusic
06-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Just did my first run (really a run/walk) since my kidney stone surgery on the 10th. I took it pretty easy and slow, and stopped before I wanted to because my lower back was a little sore toward the end. But it was good to get back into a little bit of physical activity!

I ended up covering about 2.7 miles in about 40 minutes. As I said, definitely more walk than run.

indiblue - I found some non-SF gum (only 10 cals per piece, no biggie) and it was like a dry mouth miracle! :) Thanks so much for that suggestion. I did worry a bit about having it accidentally fall out of my mouth (which sounds ridiculous, I know, but totally something that would happen to me :lol:) but found that it was much easier to run and chew gum than I thought it would be.

Angelyc
06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi ladies... I was sitting here an hour and a half ago reading this post and you made me so inspired and excited that I changed my clothes and went for my first run outside (I walk on the treadmill because I'm afraid of falling at the gym) . I didn't have a distance planned, I mean I had a goal in mind, but I honestly didn't think I'd make it, so it was more of a future goal.

Except... I did it! I just ran/walked (there was definitely some walking in there lol) 2.8 miles. I am almost in tears as I write this because I seriously didn't think I could do it, but I figured some effort was better than none.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

ncuneo
06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm a hot weather runner too. It's in the 100s most of the summer here and even though I go early morning it's easily 85-90 some mornings. It sucks, bit my options are limited.

I finally got some new insols - hope they help with my knees. If not it might be time to visit the doctor. I'm encouraged, I think, that it's both knees because that kind of makes injury less likely, but it could easily be overuse. I just don't think I run enough for it to be overuse though, everyone is different I guess.

I did 11 today, while on vacay - go me! I tried a second GU midway and did notice a slightly better performance. It's hard to tell since I wasn't on my normal route doing my hills and stuff. It was also hard to tell because my legs hurt from doing too much sidewalk running. Regardless, good run.

indiblue
06-20-2011, 04:18 AM
Hi all!

ncuneo nice on the 11 miles!
Angel congrats on your walk/run!! It gives such a great sense of accomplishment, doesn't it :)
Jen glad the gum worked! I'm kind of fearful of swallowing my gum, which is funny because I've never once swallowed it, or almost swallowed it. Still, just one of those silly concerns I have. Way to go on getting back out there after surgery.
--

I did my easy 2.5 miles on Friday, a "recovery" to my speed workout on Thursday, as well as a bit of upper body lifting. Took Saturday completely off and did 1 hour on the elliptical on Sunday. I haven't decided if I'm taking another rest day today or if I will try to get in some yoga. Tomorrow is my long run- 8K this week. Hopefully the temperature and humidity will cooperate :)

indiblue
06-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Where all the runners be??

This morning I did 8K in 54:53. Phew. My goal was to make it under 55 minutes, so with a bit of sprinting in the last .25 km I made it happen.

The run was not enjoyable though; I wanted to quit between kms 3-6. Ugh. I never hit any sort of runners high or zone when I run outside, especially for that distance. I think I just need to continue building endurance, as well as figure out the best food to eat before my run. Anyone have any tips?

JenMusic
06-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Where all the runners be??

This runner was, um, not running. :) In fact, I came here to post that I will run this afternoon, as a little accountability.

The run was not enjoyable though; I wanted to quit between kms 3-6. Ugh. I never hit any sort of runners high or zone when I run outside, especially for that distance. I think I just need to continue building endurance, as well as figure out the best food to eat before my run. Anyone have any tips?

I'm too much of a newbie to have any real advice, I'm afraid. A question, though - if your feeling of wanting to quit stopped at km 6, and you kept on running to km 8, do you think it was more of a physical block or a mental one? I ask because it seems to me that a physical need to quit would only get worse, but if your mind is playing tricks on you, maybe you just needed to wait it out. Make sense at all?

Check in later, after my afternoon run. Which will happen!

indiblue
06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Jen that makes a LOT of sense. I have been wondering how to differentiate between what's in my head versus what's actually physical. The distinction you made seems accurate. Need to get my head in the game a bit more :)

Serval87
06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Just finished a 33 minute walk/run. Because of the huge dinner and dessert last night (hubby's birthday) my efforts felt VERY laborious. I see why you need to eat healthy/smaller portions to run. My legs felt like they were made of lead. Buuuuut I pushed through it.

aimeebell
06-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi ladies... I was sitting here an hour and a half ago reading this post and you made me so inspired and excited that I changed my clothes and went for my first run outside (I walk on the treadmill because I'm afraid of falling at the gym) . I didn't have a distance planned, I mean I had a goal in mind, but I honestly didn't think I'd make it, so it was more of a future goal.

Except... I did it! I just ran/walked (there was definitely some walking in there lol) 2.8 miles. I am almost in tears as I write this because I seriously didn't think I could do it, but I figured some effort was better than none.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

That is so amazingly awesome!!! When we push ourselves to do something we thought we couldn't do....best feeling ever.

aimeebell
06-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Jen that makes a LOT of sense. I have been wondering how to differentiate between what's in my head versus what's actually physical. The distinction you made seems accurate. Need to get my head in the game a bit more :)

When I want to quit before I intended to, I always ask myself, "What hurts?" The answer is always "Nothing." So I keep going, and I almost always want to quit in that first 1.5 miles. When I want to quit at the end, I ask myself if I really want to quit when things get tough, do I really want to give in when I have almost acheived what I was aiming for. Works every single time. I do a lot of self-talk during my runs LOL

aimeebell
06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I think I just need to continue building endurance, as well as figure out the best food to eat before my run. Anyone have any tips?

I'm still experimenting too. I'll have a good run, then think okay I ate within an hour of my run/drank my coffee before/ran on an empty stomach/ran on a day's worth of fuel instead of first thing in the morning, etc., then I try it again and have a rough run. Eventually we will find our groove.

shasha12
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone! I recently signed up for a half marathon! wahooooooo

I’ve never been a runner, but I used to play sports. Running/conditioning was always the hardest thing for me, so I figured it must be the best thing to whip me into shape.

I’m on week 4 of my training and it’s going well so far. I’ve had minor knee pains and hip flexor/hamstring tightness, but rested, stretched, and recuperated nicely. Stretching is key for me, particularly my hip flexors. OUCH

Finished an easy 3.5 miles today and felt great! I run again tomorrow, just a short 2 miles :)

ncuneo
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
No run yesterday, had to change it up because of some obligations this afternoon so I switched it up and did yoga.

4 miles this morning, a little rough - I was tired. But I pushed and got it all in. Tomorrow - 7 miles on a weekday - training is ramping up!

JenMusic
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone!

I *did* get my run in this afternoon. If anyone is curious what it feels like to run in a hot tub, I suggest you move to Atlanta and run in the afternoon. That'll probably be a good approximation. :)

indiblue
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
UGH. I've had migrating hip and knee pain I've had in the 36 hours since my 5 mile run yesterday.

I don't know what to do. I love running, I want to run more. I have a hip malformation that impacts ITBS, knee pain, and discomfort in my piriformis and other surrounding muscles. I'm technically supposed to not do ANY physical activity until I get surgery on it, which won't be for at least another year (likely 2-3 years). I used to walk 3 miles a day to/from the subway and that irritated it. Yoga sometimes irritates it. Running (obviously) irritates it.

I'm increasing mileage really slowly... only 1 km a week. Only running 3 x a week. Have good shoes (Saucony ProGrid). Doing strength training twice a week. Icing regularly, rolling my ITB, etc. I could be better about my PT though.

My boyfriend wants me to stop running, but I really, really don't want to. I doubt I will.

I don't know if I'm looking for sympathy or advice, either are appreciated though.

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT: Just dragged myself go to the gym and do my Tuesday lifting session. Feeling better. Did my PT and my hip, ITB feel better. Sorry again for the rant. Exercise always, always makes things look a little brighter!

joyfulloser
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Indiblue - I totally feel your pain.:hug: Oh and I have the same sneakers...LOVE THEM!:D But I too hate having pain after each run.:(

Last night I ran 5.4 Miles, swam for about 2 hours, did weighted squats (on rack), unweighted lunges, pullups...felt GREAT! This morning I have pain in left knee, but not excrutiating like it usually is (the day after run).

Ncuneo - Just wanted to thank you again for the MSM, Glucosamine recommendation. Turns out my old multi has both of them in it. I restarted taking them for the past 2 weeks and I must say I believe it's helping. My pain this morning was just a slight soreness instead of throbbing pain.

I did, however, go for a late night swim immediately after my run, followed by a nice hot jacuzzi soak, so that could have helped also.;)

In any event...I'm gonna start focusing more on building my hamstring muscles up through lots and lots of squats. My butt and legs are sooooo sore today. I especially love that my butt is sore (means it's getting worked..lol)! My new goal...BUILD MUSCLE...have legs like Cory Everson (famous bb'r) and a butt like Jennifer Lopez (famous singer/actor).:)

ncuneo
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
So glad joy! I think replacing my insoles have helped a lot. Did 7 this morning in the blistering heat - ugh. I don't remember the heat bugging me so much last year - oh well!

Keep it up everyone!!!

fattymcfatty
06-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Went about 2.27 miles. Did it really early in the AM because it is a hot one today in the NorCal region. Triple digits. Running in ATL makes me cringe just thinking about it...
My goal is to work up to being able to go at 5 mph at a longer length of time, right now I start at 4 and work my way up, and do 5 for about 10 minutes. But I guess we all must start somewhere...

mkroyer
06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Joyful-- WRONG exercise for HAMSTRINGS!! Do Single, straightlegged DB deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts (ANY Friggn deadlift, lol) and glute/ham raises... make sur eyou iniate the movements, and PULL from your hamstrings, not from the bend in your waist

shasha12
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Indiblue, that is terrible! I had sciatica for a year and a half, so i know how painful running can be :hug: and i hated PT too. I say stick with the running if the pain is bearable.

mkroyer, thanks for the hamstring exercises! mine need some strength!

Did my 2 miles today, and it was pretty easy. I wanted to keep going but everything I’ve read says to follow the training routine to ward off injury. So I stopped.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s 3.5 miles and strength training.

krampus
06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
indiblue, I'm really sorry to hear the pain is back. I would have a hard time giving up running too, I never did see anyone for my injuries and they seemed to go away on their own with time, but that was probably dumb and short-sighted...

JenMusic Girl I hear you on that! The climate here is basically the same as the deep south. It is already mid-80s, full humidity by 6:45 am here.

Went for a shortish (2.5 miles?) run this morning before work. It's a HOT day and will be this way for a while, so I figured it's best to get running out of the way in the morning so I don't scrub my skin off completely showering 3 times a day. Breathing in humidity is the pits - anyone have advice on it aside from "deal with it?"

SCraver
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I "ran" 2.75 miles in 33 minutes yesterday without stopping. That is my best so far. 10 years ago I was 35 - 40 pounds heavier and couldn't hardly do 10 very slow minutes on the elliptical. Every time I go a little faster or a little further - I just want to run around the gym with my arms in the air cheering. But then everyone would know I was nuts. I dp sing and cheer myself on out loud when I am outside.

I ran outside on Tuesday... but it was more walking than running. It sucked. It was hot. I didn't like it. As boring as the TM is... I like the fans and the climate control.

shasha12
06-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I can’t run outside when it’s super hot. I get overheated QUICKLY! don’t know how you ladies do it! I either have to run in the morn/evening or at the gym. The other day I couldn’t do either, so I ran in circles in my apartment with my pedometer for 45 minutes LOL (I have a jack and jill bathroom connecting 2 rooms that both also connect to my living area, which creates a loop!)

CakeBatter
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I canít run outside when itís super hot. I get overheated QUICKLY! donít know how you ladies do it! I either have to run in the morn/evening or at the gym. The other day I couldnít do either, so I ran in circles in my apartment with my pedometer for 45 minutes LOL (I have a jack and jill bathroom connecting 2 rooms that both also connect to my living area, which creates a loop!)

THAT my dear is dedication!!! Kudos

CakeBatter
06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
i ran intervals last night and tonight I going to wait till it gets out the 90's and do a nice easy run

ALso i signed up for the Richmond half marathon and i an planning blow my siggy time out the water. I have been running consistently for 3 years and that half was two years ago. I am stoked!

joyfulloser
06-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks Mkroyer for the suggestion. I will focus on deadlift. I agree it targets those hammies better than anything. I will still use "the cage" for my squats...otherwise another waisted gym equipment investment!:lol:

Ooohh...1/2 marathon in VA...too bad I'm chicken!:eek: Wonder if it's going to be around Byrd Park? Anyhoot, have fun and kill em cakebatter!:carrot:

Ok...so I'm scheduled to run 5.4 miles this evening...another late run as I won't be back home until late this evening. Gotta stay focused. I've gotta weigh in on Monday though...I feel like I'm still losing weight and my family is giving me grief about it!:mad: (as if I don't know how to gain weight if needed..haha!)

shasha12
06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
cakebatter yay! we’re half marathon sisters! Mine is in Oct. I’ve just started running though, so I just hope to finish it :)

I finished my 3.5 miles... i’m tired today, so much of it was spent zoned out and letting my body just do it’s thaaaaang lol. So tired

indiblue
06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
sasha you probably already know this, but if you're running such a short loop, make sure you change directions halfway through so both muscles are running the same distance! I say this because I had an EPIPHANY yesterday about that (see below)

--

Everyone, thanks for your kind support about my chronic pain. I did a 6K tempo run... er, my version of it. mkroyer you were right when you suggested I may not be ready for a real tempo run. I at least ran well above my long-distance speed for 3 km and then did a 3 km 'cool down' at my long-distance speed.

I realized that my knee and hip pain, while certainly due to biomechanical/structural problems I will always have unless I have surgery, may have been exacerbated by my running on the edge of the trail. I did switch running directions halfway through, but the edges of the trail are sloped downward due to rainfall and my right leg was likely running on a slant for most of the 5-mile run. Bad, bad, bad.

Anyway so yesterday I made a conscious effort to run in the middle of a trail and ran with my Ace sleeve on my knee. My hip is still hurting by NO pain in the knee at all.

Yay!

ncuneo
06-24-2011, 01:27 AM
I wanna be in the half marathon sisterhood! Mine is in August, flying all the way to chicago to do it!

Strength and yoda today!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Me four! My Half Marathon is in September :)

joyfulloser
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I want a BUM like fatpantskinnyjeans avi!:carrot: It's squats, lunges, deadlifts and pullups today!:D

JenMusic
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Not in the half marathon club (yet? ;)) but congrats to all of you working so hard!

I'm bummed. I did 1.5 around the neighborhood this morning, and my lower back is still sore. I know it's because of my kidney stone surgery, but trying to figure out if it's because of the procedure itself (internal swelling) or if it's because I'm still passing stone fragments (sorry for the TMI) which means I could run through it. I see my doc on Tuesday morning for my post-op, so I'll ask then. In the meantime, I'm still running slooooow and easy.

Joyful - I'm curious, why 5.4 miles precisely? Have something against 5.3 miles, or 5.5? :lol:

I have a run scheduled tomorrow morning with a work friend. I got her into the c25k and tomorrow she's supposed to do 2 miles. It's my first time running with someone! Should be interesting.

CakeBatter
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
shasha - I am sure you will finish. that is what i kept saying when i did my first.

joyful - its in Richmond Va

Ncuneo- WOW flying to chicago. I flew to FL for the Disney Marathon it was awesome

Good LUCK to the Half Mary sisterhood!

I've got an easy 3 miler before i teach boot camp tonight! Thats it!

ncuneo
06-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Let's see...easy 4 yesterday, rest day today and a cutback 8 tomorrow.

I finally think I'm aligning my eating and my exercise, hopefully this will make my overeating more intentional:)

JenMusic
06-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Did 2.25 miles this morning - my first run with a running friend! It was cooler and less humid this morning, thank goodness, and felt easy. She's not quite up to my speed/endurance, so we took some walking breaks. I didn't really mind. I wouldn't want to wait up for someone all the time, but it was nice having some company. We might meet up once a week or so - we don't really live that close.

envelope
06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I am jogging my first 1/2 in Sept. I am also worried about finisihing it, I am not worried about speed, I figure I will work on that later. I am determined to keep on my training schedule so I will be prepared.

natamars
06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Just got back from walking .8 miles and jogging 4.3. It's definitely helping me to do a longer warmup - before I was only walking for a few minutes before I started jogging.

Trying to get to a 10K distance by mid-August or so, which will give me a month to practice at that distance before my first actual 10K.

You guys are impressing me with all this talk of half-marathons! Still think the 10K will be my ultimate distance goal before I start working on speed, but maybe when I get there I'll change my mind.

ncuneo
06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
8 mile cut back today. It was a little rough, really hot today. I also had a bit of a PMS induced binge last night and felt really gross this morning between that and TOM arriving. The cramps this month were ridiculous. Man I wish my body would settle down.

I really need to find an insulated water bottle, my water is literally warm half way through a run and it's gross. Most fitness bottles I've seen aren't insulated though, I wonder why.

JenMusic
06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
ncuneo - What's a "cut back" run? Newbie here, sorry if it's a silly question!

I woke up this morning with more lower back pain/soreness, and have decided to wait until after Tuesday morning's post-op appointment to run again. I really want to discuss this with my doctor. I'm reminding myself that I'm not going to lose all of my fitness by taking a little more time to let my body heal from surgery, but at the same time I feel like a whiny little baby . . . I want to be able to run, doggone it!

So, paying extra attention to my food in the meantime, and planning on a walk instead. Argh. Hopefully I'll get the all-clear on Tuesday.

Happy running everyone!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
JenMusic-- I'd take it easy for sure. I hear ya, though, I'd think the same sorts of thoughts about "undoing" everything. Gotta take care of your body, though!

I'm off to do my 5-miler, which is my long run this week. Happy running!

-FPSJ

ncuneo
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes Jen, take it easy!

Cut backs usually happen when training for longer distances to allow for ample recovery. So last weekend my long run was 11 miles, this weekend it was 8, next weekend it's 12 miles, the weekend after 9, and so on.

indiblue
06-27-2011, 03:37 AM
ncuneo and Jen thanks for the question and explanation- my training plan has a few of those (even though I'm not at ncuneo's training level- 8 miles is the longest I'll run) and I was curious why. Good to know!

--

I missed a workout this weekend- but I have a good excuse- my boyfriend proposed! Ah!!! I was planning on doing an hour of yoga or the elliptical on Sunday but all we wanted to do was hang out with each other and do nothing so that's what I did :)

Today I'll do 1/2 hour of cardio and some strength, but I'm really not looking forward to taking my ring off!! haha

envelope
06-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Congratulations Indi!!!

Some people leave their rings on while exercising. I take mine off since my fingers swell a little while jogging.

ncuneo
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Congrats!!!! That's so aweome! I take my ring off when I lift because I wear gloves and it's really uncomfortable, and I don't wear it when I run cause I run so early.

4 miles this morning, nice and hot - bleck!

shasha12
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
half marathon sisters! There are so many of us, that’s amazing :) we rock!

indi, congrats!!! how wonderful!

I was to run 5 miles yesterday, but I only made 3. I was still exhausted from a 13 1/2 hour shoot on Saturday (I’m an actress). I called 3 good, and I’m moving on for the week. Today is strength and flexibility, tomorrow is 4 miles. Happy Monday all!

CakeBatter
06-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey ladies. Congrats INDI!!!!!!

I am planning on a tempo and that is all today. I am not in the best of moods so a 40 minute run will suffice.

JenMusic
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Congratulations, indiblue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're both in India together, yes? Are you looking at getting married over there or planning to move back before you get married? Just curious, feel free to tell me to MYOB. :)

indiblue
06-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks guys!! Jen, no worries, I'm happy to share! We'll definitely have the wedding in the US, though it's going to be crazy trying to plan from overseas!

You guys are right, I probably can run in my ring with no problem. Lifting is what I'm more concerned about. But I'm still in complete awe over it and so worried about damaging it that right now I may play it super safe :)

Today I did 9 km, but my knee started hurting around 3 km and then KILLING me at 7 km. My breathing and heart rate felt great through the whole thing, plus the weather this morning was overcast and breezy, so I would have been able to go faster or longer, had it not been for my knee. My pace the last 2 km was dreadful, I was just sludging through. Icing my knee now, about to take some painkillers. Oh well, at least I did 9 km! And I'll definitely wear my knee brace next time I run.

aimeebell
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Congrats Indi! My boyfriend proposed last week too. I have to get my ring sized. It is too big, but I was contemplating whether or not I want to wear it when I run. I've been married before and wore the ring 24/7 for 11 years with no problems. I prefer it that way, no worries about losing it, but I run in a wooded area, and depending on the time of day, it can vary between empty and packed. I feel safer when it is full of people, but when it was empty I always thought, well at least I have nothing on me a mugger would want.

aimeebell
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Does anyone follow the Ben does life blog? It is so inspiring. He is doing an unofficial 5K run tour through the USA. He'll be near me on July 3, and I am really hoping that me and my boys can make it. I just wish he had picked a city near Detroit and not IN it because I hate driving there.

joyfulloser
06-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Congrats to all you newly engaged ladies!:D

Me...I only ran one day last week (5.4 miles). I know..pathetic.:(

Trying to run at least 15 miles this week. This heat is a killer in the South. Haven't even been able to swim much as I'm getting over swimmer's ear (note to self: wear earplugs!!:mad:). My lifting has been non-existent.

Here's the freakish news...I'm down another pound, and leaner than ever...What???:eek: Seriously...my metabolism is on overdrive, and even been eating homemade chocolate chip cookies and cranberry pistachio biscotti's (which were btw, deeeeeeeelishous!:D)

K...so I'm prepared for my 5.4 mile run today...just wondering if I may have to cut my runs down to 2 days a week. I'm already thin enough and I don't want to get down to crackhead weight with eyes bulging out of my head and vains bulging from my muscles!:lol: I seriously CAN'T eat more in the summer time...something about the heat kills my appetite for volumnous foods...:^:

/end rant

shasha12
06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
WOW!!! I ran 4 miles today and it KICKED MY BUTT!!! I was getting chills and I almost threw up my banana! WHAAAT?

Finished it though, which felt fantastic :)

Must run... Sorry for the quick post!

mkroyer
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
jOYFUL-- you basically just took a training break last week.... thats why you lost weight!! People dont seem to understand the importance of taking breaks and how helpful it can be.... your muscles were given time to recover, hence your body released all the water it had been storing from your training to aid in muscle recovery.. id be willing to bet if you hadnt indulged on the goodies than you probably would have dropped even more!

JenMusic
06-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Bad news for me - I'm indefinitely sidelined. I had my kidney stone post-op this morning and I've apparently developed a large hematoma (bloody bruise) on my kidney. That's what's been causing my lower back pain. It's a very rare side effect of the surgery I had (he said only .5-1% of people develop this) so at least I'm special! :)

My doctor says everyday activity is fine but any vigorous activity is out for a while. He wasn't able to give me a timeframe, even, but said hematomas can take months to years to be fully reabsorbed by the body. Ugh!

I see him in a few more weeks to be re-evaluated. For now I'm taking it easy, focusing on my calorie intake, and trying NOT to think about lost fitness levels.

ncuneo
06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep I agree with MK Joy. After I hit maintenance and took a semi break last year I dropped 5 quick lbs. I'm glad I'm reminding myself because I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I can't lose these 10 regained lbs when I know exactly why.

Take it easy Jen. Rest, rest, rest.

No run today - yoga and ST and increasing AND balance my cals. No more undereating all week and pigging out all weekend. I'm going to align my cals with my fitness and hope for the best.

joyfulloser
06-29-2011, 12:07 AM
MKroyer - You make an interesting point. I've taken breaks during my weight loss and it HAS been beneficial. I work at home...in a chair...in front of my computer all day...so I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle with the exception of my running and/or swimming and occasional body weight lifting. I just feel like I don't do much (especially when looking at how hard everyone is working out), so I guess I never really thought I'd have these results.:)

Ncuneo - Hmmm...5 lbs after goal...that would be awesome!:D Been thinking about getting down to 145 just to have a 5lb cushion as I never want to go over 150lbs. Well...now I'm hopeful..thanks.:)

Mkay...well...I did it...finally broke my running "dry spell" and killed another 5.4 miles this evening. Gonna try switch it up and do 3 miles tomorrow. Going to go outside in the jacuzzi and soak my tired muscles before bed. Night all.:cool:

indiblue
06-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Jen so sorry to hear that :( Best wishes for a quick recovery

aimebell YAY congrats on your engagement too!! I'll be annoying and ask the question I'm getting a lot now.... when's the wedding?

mkroyer ncuneo good reminder to all of us. I was considering taking a one week break from running, and now with the awful pain I had in my knee yesterday I've definitely decided to do it. No impact on my joints for one week. I'll do light lifting and gentle yoga. When I return I'll pound out 10K for my long run and 6K for my tempo/speed run. YES. Done and done.

ncuneo
06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
7 miles this morning. I think I'm suffering from runner's knee(s). So once I'm done training I'm going to cut back a bit for about a month before gearing up to pretrain and then train.

I've been kicking up my cals a bit and seen some stabilization in my weight, I think if I can get through a couple weekends without pigging out I'll start to see it drop again if I don't undereat during the week. Feels good to balance and align my eating and training.

joyfulloser
06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Unfortunate for me...your not alone Ncuneo.:( As quiet as I'm keeping it (positive thoughts..positive thoughts)...my left knee is a disaster and now my right knee is hurting after my run yesterday. I feel like an old lady and wonder why in the heck does this have to be happening to me now that I've finally found an exercise that I LOVE.:mad:

I've taken as much as 2 weeks off...and I mean doing NOTHING..NADA...no exercise at all. Just seems whenever I run, I've gotta deal with pain the next day...stinks!:(

Gotta try building my hamstring muscles up and hope that helps. Short of becoming a "walker", I don't know what else to do.:?: Feel better.:^:

mkroyer
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
indi-- id take a break from lifting as well..... i think thats more important even than the break from running...
Ncuneo-- i really truly think most of your weight regain is water weight... i really do..... especially with the binging and restricting cycle... it really can wreak havoc on your water balance-- bloat, water and glycogen retention, the weight of the actual food. Youve heard this all before. Id be willing to bet ( not that youd do this ) if you were to go on an incredibly strict, low calories, extremely low carb diet for 7 days, almsot ALL of the extra weight will be gone..... cuz its water (MAYBE a pound or two of fat) Many maintainers dont realize, or know, that when they stop losing, and go into eating AT maintenance, they will gain back the water weight they initially lost in the beginning, or at least most of it...... its not fat, but i understand-- its still uncomfortable, it STILL makes your clothes feel tighter and your tummy flubbier....

ncuneo
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
IDK MK. It came on kinda slow. I maintained around 140ish for 4 months even with binging, then in April it started creeping on, I think the binging restricting finally caught up with me. Now I'm hovering 148-153, so I still think balancing my calories with my exercise, stop binging and restricting and I'll slowly and "permanently" get back to my comfy zone of 138-143. Plus I think getting out of the binge restrict cycle is a huge goal for me...

mkroyer
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
oh, i wasnt suggesting you go on a VLC diet and low/no carbs@! thats not youre style ;) I still think a good chunck IS water and glycogen and bloat, especially with the binging (NOT JUDGING...im in the same boat)
I guess my only point was that i dont think you have as much fat to lose as you think... i really dont.

ncuneo
06-29-2011, 06:23 PM
You know me too well LOL! I hope you're right, I haven't been diligent enough to find out yet;) things are settling down around me though and I'm feeling a lot better around food in general.

indiblue
06-30-2011, 12:07 AM
mkroyer I think I am going to not lift anything at all this week. My reason is that I think my body needs a complete recovery, it's just something I physically feel is best. What is the reason you suggested it?

joyful and ncuneo as you know too well due to my constant complaining, I'm in the Crappy Knee Club too. My right knee was just KILLING me on my 9K on Monday. I've never had it hurt so bad. I'm finally at the point where I'm happy with the distances and times I'm running and feel I've proven to myself that I can "do it," and okay with taking a full recovery to let it heal.

I don't know if it's runners knee... it's on the outside of my right knee and hurts going down stairs or after sitting down for a long time. Ice helps a lot. If I press on the tissue (I guess it's a muscle? tendon?) directly in the middle of the outside of my right leg below the knee it hurts.

Either way, I'm committed to lots of icing this week and no exercise.

caitybates
06-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I just started running again. I was really into it in middle and high school but I haven't ever given it serious effort since then with the exception of getting through 3 weeks of C25K last year. I think my problem with it is that it is a little too slow and I hate doing intervals, it makes me think about running too much and what I love about running is that it clears my mind to think about other things.

Anyways, I began Saturday 6/19 and ran a mile every day for 6 days and then took a day off. This week I've been running a mile and half every day and this upcoming Saturday I hope to up it to two miles. I plan to increase by a half mile every week until I am running three miles a day and then I'll work on speed.

I was wondering what more experienced runners thought about the fact I am running every day. I figured nothing is hurting and I'm not running very far or for very long, so it should be okay? Running is my favorite part of the day so my preference is to do it every day but if it is going to cause long term problems I'll cut down.

SCraver
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
OMG. I registered for a half marathon. WTF am I thinking? I did 6.42 miles last weekend - I am going to do the same this weekend and then work my way up with mileage. I plan to run four times a week (while also trianing for my triathlon that is a week before the half marathon). The HM is going to take me at least three hours. I was looking at some race results for a different HM... seriously - people run 5 minute miles? For 13+ miles? Can you imagine? I will never be able to do one mile that fast!!

For those with knee pain - I was readin about how you should be careful you aren't over-striding. Your foot should hit the ground right under you. If you are striding too wide and your foot hits the ground b/f you, that will cause pain. Just a thought.

ncuneo
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Congrats SC! When I registered for my first 5 miles was as long as I'd ever gone, don't worry you'll do great!

RE running everyday: I'm not a fan if you're not training for longer distances, but plenty people do it and are fine, just listen to your body.

ST and yoga today - tomorrow July! Race to see who gets to start the thread!

SCraver
06-30-2011, 04:47 PM
ncuneo - Thanks! I told my sister today that it is going to take me like three hours to do the HM... She told me that was hardly the point.

Whoo hoo! I did more in June than in May (I did NO swimming in May)
June's totals:
Bike: 4h 11m - 70.26 Mi
Run: 8h 11m 20s - 42.9 Mi
Swim: 1h 33m - 4400 Yd

SCraver
06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
caitybates - I agree with ncuneo - just listen to your body. Run as often as you like, but be sure to rest when you feel your body needs it. Also, make sure if you are increasing speed or distance to do it slowly.