100 lb. Club - Healthy breakfast ideas

View Full Version : Healthy breakfast ideas

iris22
05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi all, I wondered if any of you had ideas for a healthy breakfast?

Currently, my breakfast consists of Special K cereal which isnt that great cause I recently find out it has a lot of sugar in it.

I know wholemeal is very good for you so I've brought some wholemeal bread so I can have a slice of toast with some low fat butter and some fruit.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I tried Shredded Wheat but that is far too bland for me and I hate the taste of milk. Also not keen on muesli so running low on ideas!

Thanks

Gale02
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
I find that I need a good amount of protein to keep me sated for any amount of time. I like egg whites (sometimes with a whole egg in there if I have the calories) with lots of veggies and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar. I like toast with pb when I'm in a hurry, too.

Lovely
05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure what your version of healthy is (everyone's is different), but some of my favorites are...

Cottage cheese on an english muffin & a piece of fruit.
Quick scrambled egg whites and turkey bacon.
Oat bran with a sprinkle of dried fruit/nuts and maple syrup or brown sugar.
Hard boiled egg white, slice of toast, piece of fruit

Things like that.

Eureka
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
How about steal cut oats. I make a batch and keep in the frig in single serve containers. That way it is quick, easy and out the door.

I also don't like milk, but I have found that fruit (banana or strawberries) and splenda makes the shredded wheat easier to eat.

fatferretfanatic
05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
I like Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in, a scrambled egg with veg. mixed in, oatmeal, or a good almond milk smoothie with a half a frozen banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. If I want something on the go, I like to eat string cheese sticks (one low fat string cheese stick is around 60 cals...).

luckymommy
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I usually have a boring breakfast....hard boiled egg with either some apple or some celery.

FlipFlop Love
05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
We have a family friend who is from Greece. Her parents visit every summer. I *love* sitting down for breakfast with them. In the US, we tend to eat a lot of heavy, fatty foods for breakfast. They have boiled eggs, some sort of bread, and tons and ttooonnnsss of fresh fruit. I don't think they've eaten bacon or cereal for breakfast in their entire life. Breakfasting with them is always delightful. :) Her mother has a knack for picking out fruit, and her father is one of the best historians I've ever met.

I usually skip breakfast (bad, I know), but when I do get the chance, my norm is yogurt, a whole fruit, and an egg. The yogurt alone is pretty filling, and you can get it for as little as 80-90 calories per serving. If I can swing it, bread is my weakness too. :)

Gale02
05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
I meant to say that I normally have fruit with breakfast. I usually go with the philosophy that no meal is complete without at least one fruit or vegetable.

April Snow
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
On the Dukan diet, you have a serving of oat bran every day. I make a pancake with an egg, a spoonful of fat free yogurt, a splash of milk, 2 tbs of oat bran, a pack of splenda and whatever spices I want - sometimes cocoa powder and an extract, sometimes cinnamon, or you can also leave out the splenda and use more savory spices.

They are really quite tasty!

That's my main carb source most days, but they may not work for someone trying to stay very low carb. And you can use an egg white rather than a whole egg if you want to cut the calories/fat more.

fatferretfanatic
05-31-2011, 11:08 PM
We have a family friend who is from Greece. Her parents visit every summer. I *love* sitting down for breakfast with them. In the US, we tend to eat a lot of heavy, fatty foods for breakfast. They have boiled eggs, some sort of bread, and tons and ttooonnnsss of fresh fruit. I don't think they've eaten bacon or cereal for breakfast in their entire life. Breakfasting with them is always delightful. :) Her mother has a knack for picking out fruit, and her father is one of the best historians I've ever met.

I usually skip breakfast (bad, I know), but when I do get the chance, my norm is yogurt, a whole fruit, and an egg. The yogurt alone is pretty filling, and you can get it for as little as 80-90 calories per serving. If I can swing it, bread is my weakness too. :)

Oh, I got to go to Greece a few summers ago, and let me tell you that breakfast there WAS delightful! I love the boiled eggs and fruit and cheeses. Oh Greece, I miss you so!

Larry H
06-01-2011, 04:04 AM
This is my favorite recipes for Heart Healthy hot oat meal.
I do not use salt so it has 0 mg sodium.

Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup 100% whole grain old fashioned oats
1 packet of Sweet n Low

1.Place the water in a microwave safe cereal dish

2.Add the oats, cinnamon and vanilla.stir with a spoon

Note: you will find the cinnamon does not mix well but don't worry about it once heated it will mix.

3 Heat in your microwave uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes on high watching carefully.

4 When you see the oatmeal rise in the bowl almost to the top of the bowl turn off the microwave.

5. Add the Sweet N Low and mix again with the spoon. You will find the cinnamon now mixes easily.

6. Let stand 2 minutes to thicken and enjoy.

Larry

iris22
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll have to try some out :)

If I have a piece of wholemeal toast everyday, is that too much?

Teresa66
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I eat Kashi Go Lean sprinkled with cinnamon, 1/4 cup of blueberries, and light vanilla soy milk. This is almost every day for me. I will on occasion eat Greek yogurt with fruit, but I usually do that for lunch.

Gale02
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll have to try some out :)

If I have a piece of wholemeal toast everyday, is that too much?

Too much for what?

iris22
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Sorry. Had problems on my phone replying. I meant to ask:

Would it be too many calories per week (for breakfast) to have a piece of wholemeal toast per day with a bit of low fat margarine? Just wondering because I know having white bread toast would probably be quite unhealthy so wondered if having 1 slice of wholemeal toast per day for breakfast would be healthy and not too many calories

gloo
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I still occasionally do cereal or an english muffin at breakfast, but I find myself staying full longer if I stick with protein and fruit in the morning. My current favorite is a Chobani pineapple Greek yogurt with a handful or two of fresh raspberries mixed in. Stand-by foods include cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs, which I always keep on hand in the fridge at work in case I need a quick snack.

iris, to your question it doesn't seem like a slice of toast is going to send you over the edge calorie-wise, but not sure what your range is. I generally forego the low fat margerine because I just hate it that much, and figure in a tiny bit of butter instead. It's the little things that keep me sane!

MEH1969
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm a firm believer in protein too for breakfast. I'm ravenous if I have cereal or something, although I love it.

My favorite breakfast is 2 boiled eggs, a Bagel Thin whole wheat bagel (110 calories), and some decaf. coffee. I buy Egg Beaters whole eggs, which are 70 calories each. The Bagel Thin is 110 calories. I spray it with margerine spray (which is probably not healthy, but 0 calories).

I personally don't like too much fruit first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I will eat that for a mid morning snack.

iris22
06-01-2011, 04:07 PM
I think I'll have to try the Greek yoghurt with all the recommendations on here.

Mare -will have to see how eating fruit first thing on a morning goes! I'm like you and usually have some mid morning.

WildThings
06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast every morning. Starting my day off with any kind of carbs first thing in the morning means I'm going to be breaking my lunch out by 10am. I will sometimes do an egg scramble with homemade turkey sausage, and weekends when I have more time, an omelet with lower carb veggies, but generally, just the boiled eggs.

Trazey34
06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I can't live without my Cheerios LOL going on 40 years, can't give it up now ;) Just the plain kind, none of this new fangled cinnamon, or banana nonsense! ha. I have a small bowl first thing, and 1/2 hour later at work I have a scoop of cottage cheese and some fruit.

Weekends, I'll usually make the hubby a McMuffin type thingie which is kinda good and soooo super filling!

I've recently discovered smoothies, and I make one with frozen strawberries, frozen banana, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I toss in a scoop of vanilla protein powder and drink it on the way to work (after my cheerios of course ;) )

OhMyDogs
06-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Often I eat "Porridge Oats with Flaxseed and Wheat Germ". I add a little Splenda andsome cinnamon, and it's pretty tasty, and keeps me full for ages. It works out to 120 calories for a serving I believe.

Riesz
06-02-2011, 11:04 AM
My current favorite breakfast is steel cut oats! I follow the cooking instructions on the bag, which makes 4 servings, and save the leftovers to microwave for breakfast the next few days. I add ground flax seed, wheat germ, and sometimes powdered fiber supplement to the plain oatmeal.

I add a drizzle of maple syrup or honey to sweeten it, plus cinnamon. After that I add in fresh or dried fruit or nuts. Some of my favorite combos are: maple syrup and toasted walnuts or pecans, fresh apple cubed and raisins, chopped dried apricots and slivered almonds, a small bit of shaved dark chocolate and raspberries, and maple with fresh blueberries. :) It's fun trying new combinations of fruit and nuts added into the oatmeal!

synger
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't tolerate starches or sugars well in the morning (they make my blood sugar rise more than I like), so when I do eat breakfast I focus on protein and fat. Cottage cheese is my friend, or a babybel cheese or some creamed herring. I usually have coffee with a bit of cream.

I also LOVE eggs with spinach and mushrooms and fresh herbs (and sometimes tomatoes, if they're REALLY nice). I either scramble it all up together, or make an omelet with a bit of nice cheese over the veg. Eggs are one of my weekend I-have-time-to-cook breakfast staples. Adding smoked salmon and cream cheese is a decadent addition for holiday weekends.

Some mornings I fast until lunchtime, drinking only coffee. I find it helps me focus, and has taught me not to fear hunger as much as I used to. Intermittent fasting has some interesting strengths to it.