General Diet Plans and Questions - eating only fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and grilled chicken

mrk34
05-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Anybody tried to lose weight by eating only fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and grilled chicken breast or fish?

If so, what was your experience?

Did you achieve desired results?

bronzeager
05-30-2011, 04:13 AM
This is pretty much what I did to lose 50lb except I also ate dairy and legumes (by fresh you don't mean "raw" do you? Because I do cook lots of veggies). I think this is a pretty common method for a lot of successful people do who prefer whole foods, whether they are low carb or low fat or whatever, so you will find a lot of discussion and recipes here on the boards. It is usually called something like "clean eating" or "whole foods". You could check out the Whole Foods section and threads below specifically.

My main method was calorie counting, and because I don't like most prepared "diet" foods like Lean Cuisines this was the easiest way to fit into 1500-1600 cal a day. Also somehow it is more satisfying to eat than the diet meals, because your volume of veggies tends to be higher than what the packaged foods give you, and has less sodium. There were times when I got tired of all the #$%! chicken and added in the occasional pork chop or small steak. Also I was a little concerned about getting enough iron because white meat does have as much as red meat, and my multivitamin pills with iron did not agree with my digestion.

Some people consider it more expensive but it depends on where you are and how much cooking time you are willing to put in. In the US eating out and prepared foods are really cheap, but outside the US they are much more expensive than the "ingredients" as one of my students put it. (There's an urban legend at my university about an American student going into a local grocery and complaining "There's no FOOD here, only things to MAKE food with.")

bronzeager
05-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Forgot to add: with dairy this is basically a version of Mediterranean diet so you can check books and websites on that for ideas too.

canadianwoman
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Sounds like a very healthy diet. :)

kaplods
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
You might be interested in the whole food thread. Also, you don't have to limit your proteins to grilled chicken and fish, there are a lot of other lean proteins and low-fat cooking methods that are as low fat or nearly so - stir-frying, broiling, baking, poaching, broasting, stewing...