Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Default My Summer Smack Down

I am a sort of newbie, I was a member years ago and drifted off - gaining many, many pounds. After several - ok, more than "several" - weight loss attempts with varying degrees of success due to varying degrees of commitment I am here and ready to change my life.

I always had a lot of success with losing weight in the summer - all the good stuff is in season, there's lots to do, and it's so hot here that you have to wear shorts or die. Those things are pretty motivating!

Tomorrow is Memorial Day and unless I've done my math wrong - which will be seriously embarrassing but cut me some slack, I didn't have a calender on hand - there are 98 days from Memorial Day to Labor Day and I'm going to consider that my time to really hustle and make some changes. It's my Summer Challenge For Myself. I'm planning to take a pic tomorrow and a pic on Labor Day and see what all my best efforts add up to.

Anyone else planning to make this your take-back-my-life summer?

My brief plan outline which is subject to change as needed -

* Count calories and focus on nutrition.
* Avoid trigger foods like pasta and rice.
* No fast food. Yep, NONE. For a whole 98 days. It's a bet I have going with my husband we haven't decided what we win yet if we make it but it's going to be something good.
* Dust off those WATP tapes!
* Keep a food journal!
* Plan ahead!

The last two are so important for me. If I plan ahead, it's smooth sailing all the way. If I don't, if I have to just wing it? Oh, things do come crashing down. And knowing that I have to write down what I eat makes me think more than twice about that handfull of chips or those that cookie.

This is awfully long for a second post but I'm meal planning for next week and making my grocery list for today so I have so much on my mind. I'm exited to get started and see what a difference a summer can make. I hope some other newbies and not so newbies will join me!
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I think a 98 day challenge is a GREAT idea. It'll help build healthy habits and it's a goal based on staying on plan for a good length of time!

Just think where we'll all be three months from now!

Also it doesn't seem like that long for some reason... counting down the days could be a really exciting thing!

back to 3FC! I love this idea to stay on plan for the summer, and you have some fantastic plan outlines there!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #3  

Thank you! 98 days really doesn't sound long but three months sounds like FOREVER! So I'm sticking with 98 days!

Also, I really like your Bender!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

*taps chin*

I've been working on my weight loss for a little bit here, but I've yet to join a challenge, and I actually think I would like to. Especially since it's a challenge focusing on a length of time. Just stay on plan for 98 days. That's not bad at all.

I'm obviously on plan today, but tomorrow I'd be happy to start the countdown with you =)

PS - I'd love to say Bender likes you back, but you know how he can be!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #5  

Awesome! I am off to get myself a tape measure and a notebook and do my shopping for the week so I can be prepared. I need to take a pic, too.

I am trying to make a list of easy meals and snacks so I don't have to think every day - ok, now what? It's so much easier if I don't have to think and make the right choice very stinkin time I need to eat. I need pre-made (by me, in a calm moment when I'm not hungry) choices!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #6  
Debbie

S/C/G: 317/see ticker/185

Height: 5 10

I like the idea of taking a picture on Memorial day and then on Labor day. That sounds like a really good idea.
SeeImTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/202/159

I'm sorta going for the same thing you are. I've been thinking of this as the summer of changes. Since you're from Louisiana, you know how hot it gets down here in the South. I imagine sitting on my front porch one evening in the fall once the weather cools off and being able to reflect on and take pride in what I've done this summer. Just another thing to think about when I feel like quitting.
jonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #8  
Summertime is time for me

S/C/G: 205/192/130

Height: 5'4"

Great minds think alike. I am doing a summer challenge too.
My user name 101days, is all about Summer !
You are correct in saying there are 98 days of summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
But , where I live, all the swimming pools open on the Saturday before Memorial Day so I chose 101 days for my goal to lose as much as I can by Labor Day.
Maybe those two extra days will make a big difference.

I chose to do Medifast. I need more structure and since I love to cook I can not be trusted in a grocery store right now.

Summer

Last edited by 101days; 05-29-2011 at 08:07 PM.
101days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #9  
mytime

S/C/G: 204/200/145

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone....I am loving the 98 days idea. I am super serious right now..i go to Cape Cod for the summer and don't want to be heavy on the beach..I have been super strict for the last three days, doing high protein and low carbs..(sort of like medifast)my sister gave me some of her unused medifast products and I brought them to the store and found protein shakes w/ similar nutritional values and bars that were sort of similar too..I also have greek yogurt once a day because it seems like a good protein source and I love it w/ a little fruit..in 3 days I have lost 6lbs, i know a lot was water..but I am so happy and I feel good! hoping to get 15 off by july 1st and then continuing right through the summer..it will be hard but I am determined
jkf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

I'd say the prize for winning the no fast food bet should be a dinner out at a really high quality fancy restaurant. You can use all the money you saved from not eating fast food, and celebrate not eating crappy, not-worth-the-calories food anymore.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I'm totally in... maybe these 98 days will get me to goal!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

i'll make it a winter challenge and join you!
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #13  

sonickel, I guess it can be a getting ready for summer challenge for you!

kuhrisuh, glad to have you!

doopdoop, that sounds like a great idea! We've moved to a new area and there are a lot of places we'd like to try. There's one that's kind of upscale (meaning we'd have to a. get a babysitter for once, b. dress a little nicer, and c. it's kind of pricey) and we haven't been yet.

jkf22, I hope you enjoy your time at the beach!

101days, it's funny we thought of the same thing and even similar user names! I don't know much about Medifast but since two of you have mentioned it now, I feel I should look it up.

jonco, oh the heat! Already, it's so hot! That's such a great visual to hold onto. I have a big family wedding coming up and I keep imagining myself having an actual SELECTION of dresses to choose from v. another miserable shopping trip where I finally settle for something I hate and feel bad and self conscious the whole time.

SeeImTryin, I'm going to take my pic in a little bit! I'm trying to find something that's semi-fitted so I can tell the difference in three months.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out!

I've got my plan for the day! Of course, being Memorial Day, it's a challenge because I'm going to a cook out. I'm taking (of course) a salad and planning to eat a banana before I go (I find bananas super filling, anyone else?) so I don't show up starving. It's not going to be easy because I find it hard to deal with food pushers but I'll just keep busy AWAY from the kitchen.

I'm also going to fit in the one mile WATP DVD before I go.

Good luck, everybody!!! We can do a LOT in 14 weeks!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 181/147.2/125

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I'm SO in! This summer is going to change all our lives!!!
slvrangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #15  
Summertime is time for me

S/C/G: 205/192/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DaysOfSummer View Post
101days, it's funny we thought of the same thing and even similar user names! I don't know much about Medifast but since two of you have mentioned it now, I feel I should look it up.

Good luck, everybody!!! We can do a LOT in 14 weeks!!!
I tried to get SummerDays as a user name but it was already taken.
Have fun at the cook out ! Remember you are going there to have fun with people...not for the food.

Summer

Last edited by 101days; 05-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
101days is offline   Reply With Quote