100 lb. Club - How to you deal when your weight loss slows down?

Ky30
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Ive been on my weight loss journey for 8 months today and have lost 90 pounds and have 45 pounds to go. My weight loss has really slowed down thou and im finding it very frustarting to deal with. I use to lose 2 to 4 pounds a week but for the past 2 months I only lose 1 to 2 pounds a week and Im lucky if I lose 3 pounds in a week. So how do you guys deal with the weight loss slowing down? Do you find it frustrating too?

fattymcfatty
05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I am right there with you. Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, I want to be DONE already. But then I remember I am changing my lifestyle and eating healthy for life. So what if it takes me another year, I'm a lot healthier now than I was 75lbs ago.

Also, I look at maybe changing up my workout routine, tweaking my balance of carbs/fats/protein, to see if maybe I can rev up my metabolism. Sometimes this works. Sometimes I'll eat at maintenance levels for a few days, and then lower my calories back down.

I mean, I'd rather be smaller and losing it slower than bigger and losing it faster.

Ky30
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I am right there with you. Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, I want to be DONE already. But then I remember I am changing my lifestyle and eating healthy for life. So what if it takes me another year, I'm a lot healthier now than I was 75lbs ago.

Also, I look at maybe changing up my workout routine, tweaking my balance of carbs/fats/protein, to see if maybe I can rev up my metabolism. Sometimes this works. Sometimes I'll eat at maintenance levels for a few days, and then lower my calories back down.

I mean, I'd rather be smaller and losing it slower than bigger and losing it faster.

Your last statement is SO right thank you for that :)

mypinkpolkadot
05-28-2011, 03:38 PM
the way to look at it is 1 pound is better than 0
but then again i've had the lovely experiance of seeing that 0 for a while now..

ChrissyBean
05-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I haven't lost anything in simply YONKS. I just keep on keeping on, though, because I'm fitter than ever, I'm having fun, and I'm positive the weight will start moving again. :)

JessLess
05-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm losing it more slowly than you are. Maybe 4 pounds a month if I'm lucky, but I only have MyPlate set to lose a pound a week. I'd be hungry if I ate much less.

I'm just glad I'm moving in the right direction.

JOLINA
05-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I lose only 1 pound a week. I count my calories.
But twice I stopped losing weight. Each time I cut my calories back by 100 a day.
I started out at 1800, then had to drop to 1700. Now I am at 1600, and the weight is dropping again.

:smug:

luckymommy
05-28-2011, 06:46 PM
I really think that many people quit their diets because they feel like they're sacrificing so much and not seeing any results....or their results simply aren't fast enough. Fact is that if you keep going, you will see it come off eventually. Also, remember that the scale is only one indicator. You may want to measure yourself with a measuring tape because sometimes it doesn't show up on the scale but you could be losing inches. It also helps to take before and after photos and progress photos throughout....that way you may see the biggest difference of all. :)You have already done INCREDIBLY well! Just stay focused on your goal, change up your exercise, try some calorie cycling, drink lots of water and be patient. One of the biggest losers on this board said that she LOVED the journey of weight loss. She just kept doing it and doing it and she kept with it....I try to keep that sort of thing in mind when things slow down for me too. Hang in there! :)

ChrissyBean
05-29-2011, 12:08 AM
OK, when I say I haven't lost anything in yonks, I mean MONTHS. At least 3 of them.

That's slow. :lol:

lottie63
05-29-2011, 12:33 AM
I just wrote a blog about this today! I've been stuck, lost 3 lbs this month and have been stalled for 3 weeks. :(

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/05/acceptance-is-not-submission.html

05-29-2011, 12:35 AM
I try not to sweat it too much. By not sweating it too much, I mean I have bursts of walking past a mirror/scale/measuring tape and remeasuring, reweighing and adjusting clothing to see if anything's budging. This last month I've slacked on the calorie counts and haven't seen my usual drop in any category, but I'm able to do 10 more pushups and 50 more situps than last month. I try to focus my attention on that instead of getting too hung up on the numbers. :)

But, you know, the numbers still taunt me from afar. :D

GonnaTurnHeads
05-29-2011, 03:03 AM
I've gone MONTHS with zero weight loss, then i'll break the plateau and drop 10lbs in a week! Just keep pushing through it!!

Nola Celeste
05-29-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm dealing with it right now. My weight hasn't budged in weeks and I refuse to believe that the same 1500 calories a day that were letting me drop an average of a pound a week are now too much to let me lose another ounce at this weight.

I'm dealing with it by asking myself some searching questions about what I'm willing to do to lose weight, whether I'm really and truly sticking with my plan, and continuing to count/weigh as if it were still working. If you were to ask me how that's working out for me, I'd give you an answer of "okay" about 70% of the time and just give an incoherent howl of rage and frustration the other 30%. ;)

But I'm not stopping what I'm doing. Not for anything. I may step it up, but I'm not stopping.

Quillie
05-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I'd be very happy with your weight loss right now, it really does slow down. The last 5 months I've averaged 2 lb per month, and I feel like I have to work really hard for it. But I remember losing 2 lbs per week and finding that slow too! I guess that's the downside after losing a lot of weight at first.

To answer your questions, I hate it and find it extremely frustrating. But there's is nothing I can do to change that, except waiting till I get to goal.

Trazey34
05-29-2011, 04:10 PM
When it got too frustrating, I just stopped -- looking at the scale that is LOL I kept track of my calories and exercised and knew physics would do the rest. I never obsessed over every pound I put ON so I figured I owed myself the same courtesy on the way down LOL Pants and tops got looser, I felt really good, so I knew I was on the right road. The numbers followed eventually. I just had to wait a bit for them to catch up to me!

Swiss Miss
05-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Trazey, saying you never obsessed over every pound you put on so you don't on the way down is one of the wisest things about weight loss I've ever heard, thanks. I always love your posts!

I've been bouncing around the low 150s for a couple months, but things have been shrinking up and I'm fitting into my clothes a lot better (muffin top is finally gone, and I'm an apple who never thought that would actually happen). I don't think I've put on muscle (I do exercise a lot though but have been for a year), I think it might be water or something?

I also weigh daily and average my weekly weight, along with calories and exercise. My calories have been up, but still under what I've calculated my maintenance to be with the data I collect, and I've lost .3 lbs/week for the last eight weeks. I'd never know that if I didn't keep such close records (the average loss comes from hitting the low weights more often), and it helps a great deal to know there's an explanation for the slowdown. So now that school's over (so many events with food at the end of school!) I'm ready to drop the calories again.

fitness4life
05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
When it got too frustrating, I just stopped -- looking at the scale that is LOL I kept track of my calories and exercised and knew physics would do the rest. I never obsessed over every pound I put ON so I figured I owed myself the same courtesy on the way down LOL Pants and tops got looser, I felt really good, so I knew I was on the right road. The numbers followed eventually. I just had to wait a bit for them to catch up to me!

I LOVE the pic of you at the bottom of your quote. Gosh do you look strong! You should wear the bike shorts and yellow tank top every darned day. :D

ubergirl
05-29-2011, 11:15 PM
It really is frustrating. I got stuck for the longest time at 187-188... at least four months! I tried EVERYTHING-- dropping calories, exercising more, upping calories-- nothing worked. Finally, I got a little sick of the whole thing and gained a little. If I get stuck there again I'm going to try the Trazey method and just not stress about it.

sevencallmemom
05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
I focus on how much stronger I am, how much better my clothes fit, and I just keep on keepin on.

toastedsmoke
05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
I have to say that I am ecstatic on weeks I lose 2lbs. Thats a fabulous week in my opinion. That being said, I never was a 4-lb a week loser except for 1 week I ate no carbs at all (Hellweek! Never again!) I always was on average a 1.5lb/week loser even at 1100cals.

However, I think the less you have to lose, the slower weight loss gets because you have a smaller deficit. So it's perfectly normal for things to slow down. Just keep plugging away you've done so well in such a short time, and you're soooo close to being there. Be encouraged by your progress, strengthened by your successes so far, and motivated by the changes you continue to see in your body.

Riesz
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
My weight loss has definitely slowed as I've lost more weight.

I don't worry too much about it slowing as long as I continue losing. At this point for me, every 10 lbs lost is much, much more noticeable than when I began so I think that balances out the slower loss.

Also slowed loss is a great excuse to try something new with diet and exercise! I poured so much time into research when I began and did very well at the beginning with all I learned but I love that I always need to constantly be learning more about my body, diet, and exercise and making changes to my routine. Keeps everything interesting and fresh!