30-Somethings - When did you decide it was time to lose weight?

seabiscuit
05-28-2011, 03:12 AM
I thought I'd start this post so we can reflect back on our progress.

When did you decide it was time to lose weight? For me it was when my old scale read 271 - alarm bells in my head went off! I thought, I don't want to get to 300 and was petrified of it. For awhile, I lost the weight through an illness, then Medifast, then WW and then Nutrisystem. Part of the weight crept back up but I was able to catch myself fortunately and get quite a bit off. Now that I am almost 50 lbs less than my starting weight, I feel a lot better even though I know according to my doc, I have about 80 lbs left to lose.

What changes can I make that will stick with me for the long term? Exercise, eating healthier, not bringing binge foods into the home, eating trigger foods in moderation, seeking support from the right people, and doing my best!

I hope you are all doing great :)

JessLess
05-28-2011, 05:41 AM
I decided when I got a new job where we walked places as a group a fair amount and I absolutely could not keep up. It was awful.

The benefits of being able to keep up with most people, not having to use a seat belt extender anymore, comfortably fitting into the seats at Fenway and shopping in regular clothing stores far outweigh the enjoyment of eating fattening food for me.

CardboardCutoutCat
05-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Easy. Going on holiday to Sardinia. Looking at beautiful Italians on the beach. It was a case of get home/Diet/Gym Join asap

sevencallmemom
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
One of my kiddos (avi) has Cerebral Palsy and may not ever be physically independent. Talking with a mom of a teenage CP kid opened my eyes to what life may be like in 10 years having to lift him in his chair, out of his chair, on to the toilet, into the tub...you get the idea. I just realized that our lives will be so much easier if I get into shape NOW rather than waiting till I cannot lift him anymore.

astrophe
05-28-2011, 10:55 AM
OMG -- each and every single day!

But if you mean the "aha!" moment? It was 1998ish. I was feeling awful, packing on pounds at a crazy rate, and I determined that even if I didn't know what it was, I was going to at least try to eat better and exercise til I could figure it out.

I didn't realize at the time that "figuring out" that I was a patient with hypothyroid, PCOS, insulin resistance / metabolic syndrome was going to take me another 5 years.

And then learning to cope with it is still a work in progress. I've crept back up, but I've been lower -- even into wonderland. I didn't know losing weight with all the stuff I have would be so dang hard and then KEEPING it off would be a whole other ball of wax.

But I'm still trying to fight the good fight.

So again... I have to make the decision each and every single day.

Keep at it!

A. :)

micheleahsc
05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
The decision has been a gradual one. I remember how horrible I felt: during my first pregnancy when I hit 200; when I found out I had gestational diabetes with pregnancy number 3; huffing up the stairs; thinking about needing a sports bra for my whole body; knowing that when I tie my shoes that the bows aren't in the middle because I can't get past my huge gut to tie them right; and, finally being the fat teacher at school.

These are the everyday things that make me irritated with myself, but there are two big things that lead to my decision to lose weight. The first is my mom. One of my brothers passed away last year, and I know that she worries about me and my health. I don't want her to spend anymore time worrying about me. The second is my children. I feel like my choices are adversely affecting their body image and eating habits.

CelticHarpie
05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I broke up with my fiance in November of 2010. It's been a rough seven months, and actually, an even more challenging year and a half (I moved half way across the country for him).

I've been thinking about getting back into the dating scene and recently formed a band with a new friend. We have a gig in the middle of July. I want to feel confident about how I look for that first gig. So I got back on the bandwagon.

I know that this time I'll stick with it. It's so much easier to stick to plan when you live on your own!

hoping1281
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
When I looked in the mirror and saw myself unhappy and scared. Scared that I'm cutting my life short by eating so many unhealthy food.

bebita5
07-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I have been thinking about it for a while, the time is now... Newly Divorced. Don't get mad get even!

dreadfullydivine
07-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Waking up and realizing that I was the woman that other ladies say you would let me know if I was "THAT BIG". Which was ironic since when I was thinner I always thought that I was fat but now that I am fat I thought I was thinner than I actually was. And missing all the clothes that I haven't been able to get into for AWHILE.

Chele615
07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I decided that it was time to get healthy during school. One year, one of the teachers that I work with decided to start a "Biggest Loser" challenge throughout the building. At first, I joined just to support her cause, but then I started seeing results and realized that it was finally time to be serious about the weight loss. I have been overweight my entire life and always started dieting, but never stuck with it. That was about 2.5 years ago and even though I plateaued and slacked off here and there, I'm still working at it....and seeing results is very motivating!!

I find myself making better choices wherever I am and not always going straight into 'special meal' mode if eating out or whatever. I will still splurge every now and then and have a special dessert...basically not deprive myself when out with friends, but I have a much better outlook on life in general!

bellastarr
07-03-2011, 03:17 PM
when I was thinner I always thought that I was fat but now that I am fat I thought I was thinner than I actually was. And missing all the clothes that I haven't been able to get into for AWHILE.

i know exactly what you mean! i remember being a size 8 and weighing 138 and still thinking i was so fat i would skip classes because i didn't want to be seen.

but then when i was 200 lbs i thought oh i don't LOOK like i weigh 200

weird but i totally relate!

lani
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I realized it was time when all my jeans stopped fitting. I was always skinny...underweight skinny... then I had kids and that all changed. I dusted off my scale last night jumped on it and it read 181. ( That's really big for me considering I spent most of my life at 115). Now my goal is to get down to 135. I believe I can achieve this :)

ahyessophie
07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm 21 and in university, and was at the border of plus-sized and "main range." I had a major fear of having to say goodbye to the places I normally shop and having to make special trips to stores that carried my size. It sounds superficial but I had gained steadily since I left high school and really felt like I had to nip this problem early. I haven't lost much, and I'm still not quite fitting into the largest jeans at some stores, but that'll change soon enough.

Debs39
07-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I decided when I was getting closer to my scary weight of 200lbs, I did not want to get to that weight.

nomorexcuses
07-12-2011, 02:10 AM
I have talked that talk and walked the walk of a super fit athlete (until 2 years ago).. Then I got pregnant and lazy---don't worry I am working on it.

Several things have led me to make a change- one very big one is my moms poor health. She was my age when she started getting sick (diabetic and other major health problems). She has always been overweight and to be honest I had always judged her for that. I felt like it was just a choice that she was making and that if she would just eat right and excersize she would be just fine. Now here I sit almost 100 pounds from where I had been judging myself. Time for new choices-time to walk the walk:carrot:

Eruanna
07-12-2011, 04:35 AM
I decided to train for a half marathon after years of thinking about it :)

Angelique
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
First I decided I needed to lose weight when I got engaged. I tried for a couple of weeks and then went back to my old habits. Then I got the flu and lost five pounds and figured it would be a great starting point, since I got already gotten used to eating less while sick. Photos of me on our last cruise helped motivate me too and I didn't want to look like that again on our honeymoon.

Shmoops
07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
All of my husbands friends and their significant others. Their wives are all so skinny and I used to be one of them just a couple of years ago! I do not want to be the odd awkward fatty anymore!!! I can't stand it anymore!

Jelma
07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
When the Wii told me I was obese. I was so upset. That was January of 2010. I started walking at lunch at work at least 3X a week and lost 6 pounds pretty fast but then stalled. I started Weight Watchers at the end of August and lost 20 pounds by the beginning of Decemeber. I quit WW in December and have lost about 10 pounds since the beginning of the year.

shalyn
08-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm 34 so this is definitely not the first time I try to lose weight. Some diets even worked...once (in my teens) I lost 20 lbs! Of course I gained it all back and then some.

After the birth of my second child in May, I almost unintentionally reached a mini goal that I had dreamed about for so long (thank you, breastfeeding). Then I hit a plateau and gained 7 lbs back. I refused to let it creep back on! So now, fairly new to this, I'm trying to find what works best for my body!

Pickle27
08-06-2011, 01:58 PM
We threw a party for some friends who are emmigrating this week and it was looking at some of the pictures from that that made me realise I'd let the binging go on too long. I've got a 4 year old (5 next week) and a 3 year old and I don't want to die young and miss out on their lives becasue I couldn't control myself enough to lose weight while I had the chance.
So I started on Tuesday with about 77lbs to lose. I can do this for my children if I can't do it for myself!

Precious Little
08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
When even my 'fat' clothes started getting tight and I started to look sausage-y in my 'normal' clothes. Ewww... I knew I had to do something as I can't really afford to replace my whole wardrobe, and especially reluctant to do so because of an increase in size. :(

KimJTZ
08-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I weighed myself in January of 2011 after not weighing myself in over a year, and saw 277.5, and I thought "22.5 pounds from 300. Really, Kim?"
Now I'm 9 pounds from 1-anything, don't care right now if it's 199.9.

:)

ChubbyCheeks
08-06-2011, 07:53 PM
It's been a loooooooong time since I got ready for school or ready to go out and felt good. I get stressed and panicked when I leave the house cuz I feel so fat and ugly.

Ready2BThinna
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Great question. Two very kind friends wanted to pass on some clothing that was too small for them. I was delighted - until I opened the bags to find all the sizes I wore when I shopped at Lane Bryant years ago. At 5'4" wearing a size 18 and jackets in XL are simply not my healthiest weight experience.

My denial of the weight I've gained was stopped right there. Realized I'd been wearing loose, ELASTICIZED pants and skirts, calling it "comfortable." Those two friends saw me as I appeared - 4 sizes bulkier than I realized I was. They've done me a huge favor.

;)

Jean

HMM3
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I've known for a long time I've needed to lose .. I got down to about 68kg and was very happy and contented at that weight ... until I got pregnant with number 3 ...

She is now 3 and a half ... and there is no reason I should be the weight I am ...

I'm ready to feel free from the weight again .... and have a fit and healthy feeling ...

Plus .... 100kg's was coming up on the scales ...

chickadee32
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
When my endocrinologist and (former) OB/GYN told me that the reason I hadn't been able to conceive, after a year of trying, was my weight. I was devastated, and my choices were really only to either a) cry and feel sorry for myself, or b) do something about it. I chose the latter, and have never looked back.

The funny thing is, we recently found out that my weight WASN'T the problem. After finding out in June that I was pregnant, we went through several weeks of h*ll before it was recognized that my pregnancy was ectopic, and that both the ectopic pregnancy and my infertility were due to severe endometriosis.

I wish I hadn't had to go through the emotional pain of hearing that I couldn't get pregnant because I was too fat, and of feeling like my infertility was all my fault. But the upside is that it motivated me to lose weight (something I'd never seriously attempted before), and because of that I am now well on my way to a healthy weight range for IVF - which will greatly improve my chances of conceiving that way, and will make for a much healthier pregnancy. :)

SunkissedAutumn
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I realized it was time when my granny saw me and said " my gosh you've gotten HEAVY"! Most of my life ive been relatively slim. Hovering 140-150. I weighed in recently and to my surprise 183. That sealed the deal for me! It starts today. im tall so i didnt see the pounds packing on but did feel a difference in the fit of my clothes. My goal is to drop at least 20pnds by the new year. I need all the help i can get.

FutureFitMom
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I realized it was time to lose weight when I was six months postpartum and still had 50 lbs. to lose! I gained sooo much weight during my pregnancy but now I am finally on the road back to my pre-preg weight.

I also hate being the "fat wife" among my husband's coworkers. One of them was telling a story this summer about her old swimming instructor being a "big, fat lady....she had to weigh over 200 lbs." As I was sitting there weighing over 200 lbs.! I felt so ashamed :( It is time to get back in shape and feel proud of my body!

SJtangerines
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I live abroad and went home for my best friend's wedding last September (2010). They had to order my bridesmaid dress based on my measurements and I didn't have a chance to try it on. When I got home, I tried the dress on - five days before the wedding - and it wouldn't even zip. I thought I was going to have to wear a sweater over it. Luckily a good friend and very talented seamstress took it out all the way and I wore it, but it looked awful. To boot, I was convinced that the size of the dress was too big and it would need to be taken in!

Her entire wedding day I knew I looked awful, and I look awful in the photos. That was it for me! Came back and hit it hard and have lost 40 pounds and still going.

aliasihaya
08-13-2011, 05:16 PM
For me there should have been many times in my life that forced me into losing weight. Lots of embarrassing moments related specifically to my weight. Feeling tired and achy all of the time. Watching my sizes go up. Not being able to shop in a 'normal' clothing store with my friends. Feeling insecure and not dating. Even getting diagnosed with Diabetes last year didn't do it.

I have tried sporadically to lose weight. I'd work really hard for two months and not see the scale budge. I'd get discouraged and quit. What I've learned in the recent years is that I'm battling hypothyroidism and PCOS. So while I'm the one to blame for putting on the weight, I had other struggles internally that was preventing me from losing it. But even after I went on medication I still didn't work on it.

Well a couple of months ago I woke up and realized I was 35 1/2 with no life. I've always wanted to be active and outgoing but never made the effort to do so. I decided that if I was going to live the best life that I could (quoting Oprah) then I needed to get my health and weight in order. So I wouldn't necessarily call it a light bulb moment. But it was definitely a moment of clarity into the state of my life and who I wanted to be.

phaedrae
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
I have been trying to lose the weight that I packed on from having my 1st child for the last 11 years. I haven't had much success however so one again trying again. I figure someday the hard work I put in will lead to some results.

Mork
08-14-2011, 01:59 AM
For me it was seeing my daughter put on weight and finding out I had high blood pressure.

SweetTreat80
08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I had a brain tumour removed in Oct and I was told that the tumour had been growing at least 10 years and could have been due to my poor diet and diabetes. That's enough to make ANYONE want to get their body in check!

I was still in recovery early this year and didn't really start with any change until March but now that I've made the decision to better my life I'm sticking with it:)

tkdtara84
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
At my highest of 227, my husband was the best man at a wedding. There were pictures of me and him, and after I saw the pictures (thank you instantaneous digital cameras), I knew I had to do something. I truly had no idea I was as big as I was. My husband was leaving for Iraq a few days later, and I decided I would lose the weight while he was gone. I did, and had about 15 lbs. to go to get to my goal weight when he returned. I maintained for a while (lots of eating out and some new routine adjustments). Just as I got the hang of it and dropped another 5 lbs., I got pregnant.

I gained way too much weight (60 lbs., I think) during the pregnancy. I lost about 25 without trying, 10 more with calorie counting, and then I decided it was time to use a stricter approach (a low carb diet) since I was yo-yoing and not gaining much ground. I just got tired of feeling fat, and I want to have another baby (he's 16 months, so this has been going on a while) but refuse to let the extra baby pounds pile up on top of each other.

TransformingMyself
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
I have struggled with my weight for years. I have been depressed about it for a long time. As you all know, losing weight is hard, if it was easy, everyone would be skinny.

My turning point was this year. On July 1st, I decided to give myself the BEST birthday present ever. To be healthy and fit! I haven't looked back since. I have so much energy, went from a size 18/20 down to 14!! I have a couple pairs of 16's I wear, but I need a belt. Now when I look in the mirror, I smile. It doesn't get any better than that!

2sw33t
08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
The first time I had a light bulb moment (about 8 years ago) was due to considering joining the army, and realizing how far I had to go before I would be in an acceptable weight range. That was enough motivation to get me started, and I lost ~80 lbs over about a year.

Then I kind of lost interest in the whole "eating healthy - being fit" thing; I was too busy doing other things. I gained back about 20 lbs over the next 2 years, and then met my husband and gained more, had two babies and gained a LOT more.

This past November, I was looking at weight loss sites for motivation (as always) and came across a site called "Body For Wife". It motivated me to start taking steps toward weight loss (check out local gyms, figure out a time to go, etc.) before actually getting started. I dropped the gym attendance after a couple months, still futzing around with my diet, but I had lost some weight and drifted down a few pounds.

Then, when I got back from my vacation at the beginning of July, I was relaxed and in a good mood, and (upon discovering my weight had drifted up a bit) buckled down on my diet and got the weight moving in the right direction again. Seeing it work boosted my motivation, so here I am still working at it.

MillyFriar
08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Two moments for me, really. One was when I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale - and it read over 230. I don't know why I could not accept that, but I just couldn't... And like some other people here, I thought, 'I may weigh 235 pounds, but I sure as heck don't look it.' And then I saw my engagement pictures!!

I totally looked it.

So both my fiancee and I joined the gym, which has been super helpful; and I went back on birth control to see if that helped, once the doctor diagnosed me with PCOS. I still feel like I have an appetite that is larger than most people's -- like I am HUNGRY all of the time -- but I am choosing to fill in with healthier foods.

I was 180 lbs in the eighth grade... I was a size 12 when I weighed 190lbs a few years ago, because I was working out a lot. I haven't weighed less than 180 lbs since being in eighth grade, and I am excited to be on this journey. For maybe the first time in my life, I feel like it might happen!

Reading everyone's answers made me both smile and tear up! I actually used to be a weight loss counselor, and it brought back memories of all of my successful clients. I was muscle-y then, and used to tell my clients about my weighing 230 lbs in the past... and here I am again! Thanks for being so inspirational!

I realize there are a plethora of exclamation marks here... I guess that just goes to show how exciting weight loss can be! :dizzy:

PreciousMissy
08-25-2011, 04:20 PM
For me it was the dreaded facebook tag. Boy was I in denial until then. Once I saw that picture I immediately went and repacked my lunch for the following day.

Aileen
09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't know if there was one moment. The determination I have this time is from a culmination of moments..

Growing up as the fat kid with the fat mom,
and it costs too much to bury my feelings in chocolate and ice cream...
Losing the man (and life) of my dreams because I didn't want him to touch me
My doctor telling me the week after I ran a marathon that I was obese-and him showing me where I fit on his little coloured chart
From thinking about this for the last 15 years, every minute of every agonizing day and doing nothing about it
The day I started chewing and spitting...the day when I found out that I do have a gag reflex, that a binge can be undone
Crying myself to sleep because I didn't think any man would ever love me again
Crying because I don't know how to love me
Because my uncle died at age 45 from being fat
Because I want to save myself so that I can inspire my mom and my auntie and friends that are going down that road
Because I want and deserve to be happy
Because I'm not going to throw junk food anymore Sunday night farewell parties
Because this diet doesn't start on Monday-it's not a diet and it starts now

LittleBlueCat
09-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Great thread topic!!

My moment was a few years back, when my scale said 198. I was in shock, 'What? 2 pounds shy of 200?' So there I went, cried my eyes out, and drove the next day after work, straight to LA Weight Loss. Signed up. And went and lost 40 pounds. I was celebrating 160 lbs. And so so happy. Then one day, my favorite counselor quit without telling me. After two three weeks, I finally asked the other ladies, and they were surprised that I didn't know. I felt like an abandoned child. And quit going to my weekly weight ins. I was out of them LA Lites and my contract was about up anyways. Couple months after that, the local store, as many others have closed their doors.

Somehow, I forgot all I learnt, and gain weight back to 178. I hit the breaks. What? Size 14 is getting tight again. I will not go over 180. I managed to lose a few on my own, doing zumba couple times a week. Trying to eat right. And came back to 3FC awhile clocked in at 175.

I signed up on all sorts of challenges, to keep myself in check. Though Labor Day throw me a curve ball. And I didn't want to fight the family. I strayed. But tomorrow is a new day, a new day towards my goal.

*Cheers* everyone! May we all dream come true. And lots of :dust: to help us get there.
God Bless.

jasmtnljj
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
It was soon after the birth of my daughter in 2007. I had my husband keep taking picture after picture of us together because I didn't like my face in any of them. I looked horrible. I weighed around 270 lbs at her birth. 3 months post birth I could barely fit my pregnancy pants which means I had to have weighe dmore than I did at birth. I joined myspace around that time and went to upload some pictures of myself but quickly realized how ashamed I was as to how i looked.

I got down to 141 lbs by the end of 2009 but found myself pregnant again and went back up to 220 (fell off the wagon horribly) and now im working my way back down. I tasted what fitness felt like in 2009. I got to feel the difference of how people look and treat you in stores from being morbidly obese to fit/shape and i want to be back down to 140. I could breathe right, my blood pressure great, i could outrun mychildren... I couldn't do anything at 270 lbs. My blood pressure was on the verge of medication. I was facing the high risk of diabetes. My aha moment was realizing I was alive but I was far from living