100 lb. Club - Looking for an iPhone Buddy

View Full Version : Looking for an iPhone Buddy

Eileen2bLean
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi, I've been here at 3FC for over 3 years but I don't often post in the forums, I spend most of my time over in blog-land.

After 3 years of blogging and yoyo dieting I've decided I need a change. I need more support in this. I need day-to-day… no… I need choice-to-choice support! Blogging helps and this particular forum helps. But still, I can’t post all day with all my choices and challenges, I’d drive everybody nuts.

What I need is a “buddy.” Or a group of buddies. People like me who need to lose a lot, who WANT to vent to each other and support each other throughout the day - not just once a day in a forum or blog post. I thought about joining Weight Watchers, but I really only thought about it because I thought I might meet someone there who could perhaps be my buddy. I find myself staring at people who are big like me, wondering if they would like to join me and keep in touch on the phone and go walking with me, that kind of thing.

Then, I had a thought.

I recently got an iPhone and have been downloading apps left and right. Is there an iPhone weight loss buddy app? I looked. If there is, I didn’t find it. But what a cool idea, if I could just find a person or a couple people like me who want to live and breathe and wallow in their weight-loss efforts (lol), we don’t have to be actual neighbors, we could just keep in touch by text!!! So I started looking for a free iPhone chat app that would allow for a small group to chat together - yet everyone gets to keep their anonymity.

Found one! I created a little chat room that allows up to six people. Participants can chat to each other by text (without individual per-text charges) and can also share pictures with the group. So like… if I wanted to share a picture of my lunch (woohoo check it out, no chips today!), I could.

So I’m gonna try it. Maybe it'll be helpful, maybe not, but it's worth a try!

CLASSIFIED AD FOR AN iPHONE WEIGHT-LOSS-BUDDY
——————————————————————-
Looking for a person who meets the following requirements:

Woman, over 30, who wants to lose over 100 lbs.
Have iPhone or other device that can run iPhone apps.
Be totally committed to their own weight loss efforts.
Be willing to try this crazy buddy thing for at least a week, maybe two.
Be upbeat and able to offer positive support and feedback.

I also might want to add that I’m in the Eastern time zone. Don’t wanna be telling a person about my breakfast if it’s 5am in their time zone, lol.

:smug:

Will I find anyone who wants to try it? Who knows? Maybe it's been done before - or - we might be piloting the next ground-breaking trend in weight loss, lol!!

:cool:

PacSunMama
05-31-2011, 04:45 AM
What a great idea! I hope you can find a buddy! I'm 27 and on the west coast or I'd offer!

Nikki6kidsmom
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Eileen,I think that is really cool. And I am a texting/chatting queen because I can do it while pretty much anywhere and anytime.

I am close to my goal weight but I have lost well over 100lbs in the last 2 1/2 years.I am very committed to my lifestyle change and workout regimen.

I am 34 years old and have 6 children. I am currently a stay at home mom to the busy bunch.

I also have an iphone with unlimited texting (refer back to texting queen comment lol).
I'm in Alabama.

This does sound like fun. Let me know what you think if I made the cut? :). I will be basking on the beaches of Mexico next week but otherwise I'm in and willing. :)

Have a great day!

JamiSue3916
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
What a great idea! Good luck ladies!

lottie63
05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
I started with over 100 lbs to lose, but have less now, I'm stalled though I'd love to join. Let me know if it would be possible.

Lovely
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
What an awesome idea! Sadly, I don't meet all your criteria (not over 30), but I think that's a phenomenal plan to help people stick to it.

Are you able to tell us the name of the app that allows for a chatroom of that type?

lottie63
05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm in the east as well.

dcapulet
05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
eileen and lottie, i am willing to try this with you! i meet all the criteria :)

lottie63
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
actually I"m rethinking my goal weight so I might have a good bit more to lose. right now it's 175 but will likely go down once I get there. ha.

what is the app called?

TwilightBloom
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Did you all try this, how did it go, I would be willing to give it a try to. Sounds like a great way to stay accountable. What is the app called?

lottie63
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
she never contacted me. :(

Eileen2bLean
12-19-2011, 01:32 AM
I waited around for like three days, and no one answered my ad, so I logged off and never came back!! I wasn't upset, I was a little embarrassed, though, that I'd apparently put myself out there with such a stupid idea!

I HAD NO IDEA ANYONE ANSWERED!

My apologies to those who replied, I AM SOOOOO SORRY!

Eileen2bLean
12-19-2011, 01:45 AM
I just checked my profile... I had an old (inactive) email address on file!! I was subscribed to this thread and never got a single email so I figured it just died a silent death.

I still think it's a cool idea. :D

Eileen2bLean
12-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Sorry, didn't see the question (twice!)

The iPhone app I found for a chat without texting is called Group Chat Qurky. Yes, qurky, no i.

:)