Exercise! - C25K: I'm doing it, who else?

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : C25K: I'm doing it, who else?

OhMyDogs
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
So, I know there was a very active C25K thread a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

I just started the C25K today. Day 1, Week 1. I thought I was going to die. I am already wondering if I will have to repeat Week 1, but I made it. I made every run all the way through. I did have to pause my podcast, part way through one of the 'recovery' periods because I needed longer to catch my breath, BUT I completed it.

I hadn't anticipated trying to run until I was around 210lbs, but I have always been my own best motivator. As soon as I tried to convince myself that I COULDN'T do it yet, the drive to try became stronger. So I thought I would give it a try and see how things go.

Who else is doing the C25K? Where are you in the program? Did you happen to feel like the whole thing was impossible when you started?

Laura G
05-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I`m doing a modified c25k, but being on IP i`ve kind of slacked off. I`m going to start again around the 5 week mark of IP. I had made it thru week one of c25k, and it was very difficult - at times I thought i was going to puke... but the exhilaration of doing it kept me going and wanting to do more. Every day I was challenging myself to go a little farther and push to the limit - I can`t wait to start again!
You can do it - don`t let your mind talk you out of it - it`s amazing what the human body is capable of!

aimeebell
05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I started C25K at the end of January, and YES I thought it was impossible, but today, just four months later, I ran 5.29 miles. Originally, I said I was going to get through the program, run in a 5K race, never a step further, then hang up my running shoes after putting a check mark on the bucket list. Turns out, I love it.

Ferumbras
05-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I keep on meaning to do c25k, so I think this thread is great! I just did my workout for the day, not c25k, and the weather doesn't look so great outside, so I'll start it tomorrow, even if it's on the elliptical at home.

NTexas
05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I have also started a running program the beginning of March. I had been doing the eliptical since about Jan so I had a head start, not that it helped any. Jogging/running is a different animal. I started with walk/jog intervals until I could run 1/4 miles straight (3min), then 1/2 mile (6 min), 3/4 mile (9 min) and finally the mile on April 26 (yes I recorded the date, lol). Now I ran my first 2 mile run this past Monday, but very slowly. I would like to train well enough to do a 5k this fall with a time under 40 minutes. We'll see. I don't love running, in fact, I am not sure I even like it, but it makes me feel strong and proud to know that I can run 2 miles. Good luck and don't think you HAVE to do it within 9 weeks. Some of us are taking our sweet time :)

bethbeth
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I did c25k a few years ago. I didn't know if I could it, as I am not a runner at ALL. I pushed myself hard and made it through! I ran a 5K a few times and was so proud of myself. I would love to do it again some day!

Emmy1979
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I've researched it online and love the idea. I already do interval walking/running in my workouts, but I can't seem to push myself into longer run intervals. I think I am going to start this program in a couple of weeks after I return from my vacation! I can't wait to hear everyone's stories!

Horo
05-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I started earlier this year and then somehow my whole plan in keeping on sort of fizzled out. I took it from the beginning today- Week 1, Day 1, and.. goodness, it got me equally as bad as the first Week 1 Day 1 did earlier this year!

I feel like it shouldn't kick me in the behind as much as it does since I am in a normal weight range and I can walk with my dogs for hours :?: but it's all the more reason why I want to get through it.

I am honestly already planning on repeating Week 1 before going to Week 2, though.

OhMyDogs
05-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I started earlier this year and then somehow my whole plan in keeping on sort of fizzled out. I took it from the beginning today- Week 1, Day 1, and.. goodness, it got me equally as bad as the first Week 1 Day 1 did earlier this year!

I feel like it shouldn't kick me in the behind as much as it does since I am in a normal weight range and I can walk with my dogs for hours :?: but it's all the more reason why I want to get through it.

I am honestly already planning on repeating Week 1 before going to Week 2, though.

That's how I feel, but I am hoping that by Day 3 I won't feel as though I need to redo Week 1....if so, then I'll redo it, but I hope I don't have to! LOL

josey
05-28-2011, 12:58 AM
I love it!!! I just finished week 3 last night. It is tough but not impossible. I have the iPhone app which I find totally motivating. I should also mention that I am doing it at home on the treadmill for now.
I didn't rest on my rest days now but repeat week 1 or 2 days between my week 3 days. It is kind of addictive.
I am always scared I can't do the next week but somehow it works just fine! We will see if that is true for week 4 on Sunday. 5 minutes running sounds impossible now but who knows?!

OhMyDogs
05-28-2011, 01:52 AM
I love it!!! I just finished week 3 last night. It is tough but not impossible. I have the iPhone app which I find totally motivating. I should also mention that I am doing it at home on the treadmill for now.
I didn't rest on my rest days now but repeat week 1 or 2 days between my week 3 days. It is kind of addictive.
I am always scared I can't do the next week but somehow it works just fine! We will see if that is true for week 4 on Sunday. 5 minutes running sounds impossible now but who knows?!

FIVE MINUTES??? Carp!!! I'm at 1 minute and I start thinking "ummm hurry up...a minute must be over by now...." LMAO

milmin2043
05-28-2011, 03:04 AM
C25K is great!

It's the program that got me running way back almost 100 lbs. ago and now I'm soon to be training to run a full marathon. Distance running is about 99% mental. Much, much more than physical. For me, it's all about constantly talking to myself and saying things that will push me to keep going. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and one of the trainers saying "are you bleeding?" "have you passed out?" "are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going. May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Best wishes to all of you with C25K. I am so glad that I was told about the program.

Ms Marvel
05-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm doing it! But I'm finding it hard to know how fast I should be doing it. The treadmills at the gym seem to go at different speeds! On one of them 4kph is an amble, while on the other it's a run. Still, I'm in the second Week One, which is to say I did the first week at a run of 7, and the second at a run of 8. I'm wondering whether to progress to Week Two, or try an incline or speed 9 for another Week One.

I'm really pleased that even in this short time, I can feel the difference! It's - well, it's not easy now, but the first time I thought I'd fall over. I haven't run in years.

josey
05-28-2011, 09:11 AM
C25K is great!

It's the program that got me running way back almost 100 lbs. ago and now I'm soon to be training to run a full marathon. Distance running is about 99% mental. Much, much more than physical. For me, it's all about constantly talking to myself and saying things that will push me to keep going. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and one of the trainers saying "are you bleeding?" "have you passed out?" "are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going. May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Best wishes to all of you with C25K. I am so glad that I was told about the program.

That sounds promising. I am not into races (crowds freak me out) but i would love to get into a routine and run an hour everyday. Indoors or outdoors.
I am not sure if i would do it until i puke or bleed. So far i wasnt even close. One thing i heard recently on a Canadian weight loss show (x-weighted) was an amazing tip: "concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!"
It totally works or me. Concentrating on steady slow breathing makes me relax and time goes by faster. I try not to look at the time for as long as i can. And then -most of the time- i am totally surprised how long i am running already.
I am not running very fast but try to increase the speed on my "rest" days when i do week 1 or 2. Speed is not important for me right now though. I want to be able to run for 30 min. straight first and then i can always work on the speed. However, i am already oggling the "bridge to 10k" iphone app. Well, a little early I know but I am so excited aboutthis program.

OhMyDogs
05-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I am not sure if i would do it until i puke or bleed. So far i wasnt even close. One thing i heard recently on a Canadian weight loss show (x-weighted) was an amazing tip: "concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!"
It totally works or me. Concentrating on steady slow breathing makes me relax and time goes by faster.

This is actually my problem...while my legs are a bit sore and tired, it's the breathing that is hard for me. That's why I had to have a longer "rest" between running minutes, because I was STILL trying to catch my breath. I didn't need to stop running early, but I needed a little more recovery time. Even in my fit teen days, I had a hard time catching my breath. I hope I can figure out how to get past that.

josey
05-28-2011, 10:01 AM
This is actually my problem...while my legs are a bit sore and tired, it's the breathing that is hard for me. That's why I had to have a longer "rest" between running minutes, because I was STILL trying to catch my breath. I didn't need to stop running early, but I needed a little more recovery time. Even in my fit teen days, I had a hard time catching my breath. I hope I can figure out how to get past that.

I know what you mean! I used to have that problem too. But now since I really concentrate I am barely out of breath when I get to the walking part. Now it is more about relaxing my legs. It took a bit of practice to focus on breathing since it is so natural to forget about it. Try making some noise at least when you breathe out. I find that helps to find a good rhythm.

OhMyDogs
05-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I know what you mean! I used to have that problem too. But now since I really concentrate I am barely out of breath when I get to the walking part. Now it is more about relaxing my legs. It took a bit of practice to focus on breathing since it is so natural to forget about it. Try making some noise at least when you breathe out. I find that helps to find a good rhythm.

Josey, that's a really good idea, I will for sure try that. I totally want this to work...I keep hearing that running is awesome for fat burning, so I have my measurements, done just the day before yesterday, and I have my weigh in from yesterday, and I look forward to seeing if/how things change.

JessLess
05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm doing it, I need to do run 3 of week 3 today. I'm signed up to run my first 5K in July. So far, the training has been going well!

Emmy1979
05-28-2011, 01:05 PM
I didn't know they had an iPhone app - totally downloading it!

About the breathing - that is a huge problem for me, too. I used to be a smoker, so that probably has something to do with it. Does the program give you any tips on how you should be breathing? Like, is there a certain amount of seconds in and seconds out you should be aiming for?

lunachik2014
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I am definately going to try this! Sounds completely do-able

josey
05-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I didn't know they had an iPhone app - totally downloading it!

I have this one: http://www.c25kapp.com/ There are others but I liked this one best and it also has a follow up app I mentioned above to bridge to 10k.

About the breathing - that is a huge problem for me, too. I used to be a smoker, so that probably has something to do with it. Does the program give you any tips on how you should be breathing? Like, is there a certain amount of seconds in and seconds out you should be aiming for?

Nope, didn't see anything online or on the app. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed. Whatever feels comfortable. Have you tried pilates yet? They are big on breathing. Yoga too I think. I picked up a pilates DVD at Walmart a few weeks ago for $5 and it is quite interesting too. Very slow stretching etc. They also want you to focus on breathing but I find it harder there because you also have to concentrate on the exercises. Running is an easy movement that doesn't need more than 1/2 a brain cell ;-)

PS: I used to be a smoker too.

Ferumbras
05-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I downloaded the iphone app last night, loaded up my playlist, and am planning on doing w1d1 today, even if it is going to be raining out. :club:

I'll let you all know how it goes if I manage it.

Emmy1979
05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I have this one: http://www.c25kapp.com/ There are others but I liked this one best and it also has a follow up app I mentioned above to bridge to 10k.

Nope, didn't see anything online or on the app. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed. Whatever feels comfortable. Have you tried pilates yet? They are big on breathing. Yoga too I think. I picked up a pilates DVD at Walmart a few weeks ago for $5 and it is quite interesting too. Very slow stretching etc. They also want you to focus on breathing but I find it harder there because you also have to concentrate on the exercises. Running is an easy movement that doesn't need more than 1/2 a brain cell ;-)

PS: I used to be a smoker too.

Thanks!! :carrot:

valo
05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I found the C25K today! I was jogging (my running is so slow still that it can hardly be described as running!) and since I find it really annoying to check my watch every minute or so, I jogged for 5 min and 10 min and really really wished someone would just tell me when to run and when not. But now that I've found this I'll start using it tomorrow! :running:

I was really happy when I accidentally found the C25K afterwards and I was still so happy when I downloaded the podcasts. Now I'm green with envy for all iPhone owners for being able to use the program with their favorite music as my nano is soooo old (1st generation) that I can't use that application. Oh well, will have to wait for the 6+ weeks when I don't need the cues.

Emmy1979
05-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I just downloaded the app - awesome!!!! I can't wait to use it! :D

:running: :running: :running: :running: :running: :running:

Ferumbras
05-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Well, I did it. Got rained on for part of the time, but it kinda felt nice. Cooled me off. I'm tired now, but it felt good while doing it. Managed to jog during the run times without too many problems, even if there was a fair amount of panting.

I feel good about this.

Anyone have any advice about staving off joint injuries? That's the one thing I'm really concerned about in terms of taking up running.

josey
05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Now I'm green with envy for all iPhone owners for being able to use the program with their favorite music as my nano is soooo old (1st generation) that I can't use that application. Oh well, will have to wait for the 6+ weeks when I don't need the cues.

You probably won't believe it when I tell you I am green with envy that you have a Nano 1st gen. I used to have one and loved it! (I am a big Apple fan!) It got stolen end of last year and while I like my new Nano (can wear it as a watch) I truly, truly miss my first generation one. :-((

As for C25k, check the podcast section in iTunes. There are some C25k that have music and give you audio cues for the run/walk intervals!

josey
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I just downloaded the app - awesome!!!! I can't wait to use it! :D

:running: :running: :running: :running: :running: :running:

Let us know how it went! I found that the app is a huge motivator. Such a feeling of accomplishment! And you can keep a journal.

valo
05-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Josey, I really love it too! It has the best design out of nanos and since it still works OK and the battery is in bearable condition I've never really even thought about buying a new one. I tried to find if they have the application for Nokia but no luck. Will bear with the podcast (already downloaded them and the first one is in nano!) for the time being!

I actually started training for running in the beginning of January by walking. Walking, walking and walking keeping it in my mind that I want to be able to run 5 km at the end of the summer. I was able to run a few 2 min periods already back then, but with the snow in the ground, didn't push it back then. When the snow melted I bought new running shoes and little by little started to run a few minutes at the time. Then I had a break from exercise (way too busy with school) and now that I'm back to it I quite often run few minutes while walking the dogs. I was so happy today when I run the 5 and 10 minutes, I really felt I accomplished something. The Uprising by Muse was a good song for both fast walking and running ;-)

josey
05-28-2011, 05:26 PM
The Uprising by Muse was a good song for both fast walking and running ;-)

Ahh, excellent taste in music too! ;-) Great! What else is on your iPod?

I agree the first generation was great. I never really lusted after the other versions until this latest one. The possibility to wear it as a watch was just such an extra geek factor I had to have it :-)

5 and 10 minutes is pretty good! I am sure you can skip a few weeks on C25k if you want to.

valo
05-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Josey, that is a good question! I have listened audiobooks with my ipod for a past couple of years. We live out of town and the bus ride takes almost an hour so they are great! When I work at computer (I study architecture so I'm at computer A LOT), I listen music from Spotify and I've been addicted to Muse lately, but I quite often listen to movie soundtracks or 80's rock. Or pop. Or heavy metal. Almost everything depending on the mood!

peanutt
05-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I just finished the program and I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow. It's a wonderful conditioning program! Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind tell you you can't do it and you'll be successful!

milmin2043
05-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I just finished the program and I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow. It's a wonderful conditioning program! Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind tell you you can't do it and you'll be successful!

I agree with this 100%. All while you are running, talk to yourself with positive words and phrases. "I can keep going" "I am an athlete" "I am a runner" I am strong and capable" "I can run like the wind" "I love to run"

These may sound corny, but they work. In all of the half marathons I have run they have mile marker signs with positive thoughts about running and keeping on. Seriously, those signs were the greatest. They helped me to finish strong.

Also, to the person who asked about joint injuries-there are tons of tips on how to avoid them on runnersworld.com. They suggest always stretching after a run (when your muscles are already warmed up) and they show you which stretches are most beneficial. Also, don't push yourself to go faster or farther than the program suggests.

Good luck again to you all. :)

Oh, and peanutt----good luck on your 5k tomorrow!!!! You're going to do great!!! You're an athlete, you're a runner, you can finish strong, I believe in YOU!!!

valo
05-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Good morning everybody!

I just finished my D1 W1 and I LOVED it!!! I really enjoyed that I could concentrate to run just the 60 seconds and I think it improved my running technique a lot already, because I didn't have to save my energy for subsequent minutes of running. 90 secs was more than enough for me to catch my breath. I will do this from week one, because I think I'll benefit a lot from the interval training rather than jumping to longer runs. However, I think the 5 min walk is too short for warm-up and so I did walk a bit before starting the program and it took me totally 40 min to complete.

My body has remembered how to sweat again!!!! I love it!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I just want to add something, in my opinion, if you really start from the couch, have not exercised at all and are in a bad shape, then I would start from just walking. With any speed and length that feels good in the beginning. And then gradually walking longer and faster and trying to run with very very slow speed for a minute or so. And when that feels good and you start craving more, then I would start this. And stretch enough. And if your muscles don't feel warm enough after 5 min (especially if the weather is cool), walk more until your body feels like running. Then it feels so good!!!

bronzeager
05-29-2011, 07:26 AM
OK, I have a really really dumb question. I am in week umm, four and a half. That is, I am trying to work my way up from running 5 min at a stretch to 20min in a stretch that you do in week 5. Earlier in the year I ran outside some, but now I am doing it on the treadmill because it's really hot here (114 today).

Anyway, on the treadmill, there is an indicator that says "Speed." Is this in minutes to finish a km, or is it km per hour? (metric system here so wouldn't be miles... I assume). Right now I have it set at 5.5 for walk, 8.7 for run which is maybe a bit slower than I run outside but I don't want to fly off the treadmill when my neighbor starts a conversation about the Oprah episode she's watching on the TV.

I read this article in the NYT last week that gives a way to estimate fitness by how fast someone can run a mile (basically faster or slower than 10min/mile), so I'm kind of curious to see what I can do.

OhMyDogs
05-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, I just got in from D2W1. I could have baled today, it's pissing down rain and I woke up with a super sore back, for some reason. But, I persevered. I went out and ran in the rain. It wasn't wonderful, but at the end, it felt nice and helped keep me cooler. My back feels 100x better now that I have been out and moving, and Day 2 was MUCH easier than Day1 (when I thought I was going to have to repeat Week 1). I feel more hopeful that maybe I DIDN'T bite off more than I can chew.

Ms Marvel
05-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I did Week 1 for the second time today, and will probably do it a third time, getting my speed up a little bit. I used a podcast for the first time, and it really helped not having to keep track of the times!

juliana77
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I had to work my way up to W1. At first I could only do a couple of the intervals, and not even close to a minute, so I worked on walking and elliptical until I got my cardiovascular system in better shape. Then I did W1 but with 30 second intervals (I called it Week 0) instead of a minute before actually starting W1. Yesterday I completed W2D1! I am using the treadmill and that works for me - being able to see how much time is LEFT in each interval can be a lifesaver.

I NEVER thought I could run.

bama girl
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Me! I start today!!

IsabellaOlivia
05-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I just made a post in the orginial c25k thread saying I need a workout buddy.
This thread is genious.
I'm going to start tomorrow as I've already done my workout for the day.

Just to be clear: are you guys doing the NHS programme?

Ferumbras
05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
I use a c25k app that I really like, put out by Bluefin Software, as opposed tot he NHS podcasts.

So today was w1d2 for me. I feel pretty good about it. The halfway point surprised me, which is a good thing! At the beginning, like before, I felt as though I might get a stitch in my side or shin splints, but they didn't actually develop, thankfully. I do, however, need to pay more attention to the weather -- way over-dressed, expecting it to be chilly and possibly rain.

According to the app, I did 2.5 miles, walking at a pace of 16:06/mi and running at 11:10/mi.

OhMyDogs
05-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I have no clue what any of that all means...lol I just downloaded some podcast, because it was in MP3 format...and it's been working! LOL

envelope
05-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi All! I did C25K last summer and LOVED it. I never thought I would like jogging, but I do! I just started up again...I stopped running in the winter but am ready to get going again. Tomorow I will do W1D3. I know at times it feels hard to push through and finish the run, but you can do it!!!

OhMyDogs
05-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I just completed W1D3. My arthritic knee is a bit bothered (for the first time since I started C25K), and I struggled more today than I did on day 2, but not as much as Day 1. I am not sure if I should repeat Week 1, or if I should try and push through week 2.

josey
05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
OhMyDogs, I would start week 2. I only repeat if I don't complete. I thought my goal is not a pretty week x but getting to run for 30 min. straight. If I can't do one day, I'll repeat but not when I made it through. What do you guys think?

I am resting this week I guess. My right leg hurts and I am afraid it is from running. So I figured I will do pilates and weights this week and see how it goes.

bama girl
05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
I started W1D1 yesterday, and it surprisingly wasn't too difficult for me, even though I did get tired. I'm a little scared that that means when I reach a point where there's a big jump in difficulty, my body's going to be like "Oh, no you didn't!"

That said... Y'all. I don't know where you are, but it is HOT down here. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!

Emmy1979
05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I did W1D1 today, and it kicked my behind! I will repeat it tomorrow for sure. I did several things wrong, and I knew it - should have waited to start until tomorrow.

I went for a brisk walk (about a mile and a half, outdoors) with my mom because she wants to get more exercise. So, I went to her house and we walked. Then I went to a local (outdoor) track and tried W1D1. I got through all of 15 minutes before I was so out breath I had to stop. Which is odd, because I have run 5 minute stretches (on a treadmill, indoors) before (like, only a few weeks ago).

So, it was almost 90 degrees by the time I started the W1D1, so clearly I need to get started at, oh, say 5:30 in the morning? Good grief it's hot here already! LOL

I started today on a whim, and it was the wrong thing to do, obviously! I had planned on starting next week, but I got excited!

Anyways... I'll try again tomorrow, and plan it better!

Horo
05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I have to chime in on the breathing thing- I don't feel like I've done anything in my legs from the running, it's just that my lungs feel like they're going to burst and that's what makes running so difficult for me. :?: I wonder if the fact that I've lived with 2-3 heavy smokers at any given time from the day I was born might explain this, or if it's more fitness related...?

The temperature was in the 90's yesterday and 88 is the high today. It's also coming up a severe thunderstorm.. I think I'm going to wait until late at night for my dog and I to go and work through some more of week 1 today.

IsabellaOlivia
05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
The lungs can actually be affected by passive smoking. 18 years are quite a long period to ingest passive smoking.

However, it can also be fitness. It is my biggest issue also with running that I can't seem to breathe.

bama girl
06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Me too, on the breathing thing. I had exercise-induced asthma as a kid and would think that I'd have grown out of it, but I still get really tight-chested with very heavy exertion. It also doesn't help that I used to smoke cloves like nobody's business... none of that anymore!

Ok, ok, enough excuses. I am out of shape. I think if I work to raise my endurance level, a lot of my problems will go away.

About to do W1D2. It is HOT. I've already had 48 oz of water today, though, so I'm going to just leave my water bottle on my porch and get some if I need it when I pass the house. I'm pretty sore right now because I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred and started day one of that yesterday, but I'm going to push through it. :)

Ferumbras
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
My issue seems to mainly be a small stitch in my right side when I run. Nothing I can't run through, but still annoying. Hopefully it'll go away with time and continued running.

I just did w1d3 today. Felt pretty good, but got a phone call during my last interval, which I think threw off the app's recording of my times/distance. However, I now have a heart rate monitor/calorie counter watch, so have a fairly accurate measurement of how many calories I burned.

Oh, anybody else get really really hungry after their run? I've never had this kind of hunger after working out before -- even after an hour of hard cardio.

bama girl
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I just finished W1D2 and it was MISERABLE. But I think it was because it was so hot. I stopped a couple of times during the walking intervals and poured water on my head. I'm either going to have to start getting up earlier or start doing it on a treadmill... boooo!

Ms Marvel
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm due tomorrow, but due to one thing and another I walked eight miles today... might put it off to the Friday, and then do Sunday as normal. I'm doing week one for the third time - trying to get my walk up from 4 on the treadmill to 5. I managed for most of it, but my last two intervals I dropped down to 4, because I was pooped.

MariaMaria
06-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Right side stitch is almost always a breathing issue, Ferumbras. Try breathing on every third foot strike, so you're not synching breathing in or out with either foot.

Ferumbras
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

envelope
06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I am kicking myself for not jogging since October. I am fine with the breathing, but my muscles are screaming. I can not wait until I get to the point where when I am jogging and in a zone...it is such a wonderful place to be.

I finished w1d3 today.

Alright
06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm on week 5 and shocked that in 2 more runs will be doing 20 min straight.

I had been walking a lot and one day just ran all the downhill portions. Then I realized I might as well try this as a summer goal.

I'm using the podrunner intervals for this. And after the 5k the have 8k and 10k also. I don't know what my future plans are, right now it's just to complete this. My husband thinks I'll want to run an actual 5k afterwards, we'll see.

AshleighAO
06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm starting on Monday so this is a great thread to come across! I'm anxious to try it, I have been debating and questioning for a few months now, and now I finally decided to quit the debating and just go for it!

bama girl
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Right side stitch is almost always a breathing issue, Ferumbras. Try breathing on every third foot strike, so you're not synching breathing in or out with either foot.

Thanks for that info! I never knew that and I always get pretty bad ones.

Are some of you doing it every day? That's admirable and I wish I could do it, but my body is already a little ticked off that I'm doing C25K and 30DS at the same time... haha.

Oddly enough, running (when there's no 30 day shred involved) seems to make my upper body hurt more than my legs. Anyone know why?

envelope
06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I did w2d1 today.

bamagirl - Doing 30ds and C25K back to back is impressive.
For now I am doing 2 days C25K 1 day elyptical or walking.

Ms Marvel
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I made it to the gym today, but a cavalcade of little things went wrong; treadmills occupied for ages, no water in the dispenser, music so loud I couldn't hear my podcast, and then my sports bra suffered an malfunction as the first run started... I made it to the second, then had to pause it and dash to the loo... when I came back the treadmill had reset. *facepalm* So I just did my weights, and will go tomorrow to do my run. I went and saw X-Men First Class instead. :)

ballerina454
06-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I am doing the C25k right now! I love the program. I completed it earlier this year and at the end of February did my first 5k race in about 41 min. I was never a runner and still do not consider myself one, but this program really helped me out. I like how it starts you out slow and you build onto your time with intervals. I completed my first Sprint distance triathlon in late March and then hurt my foot trail running which set me back with no running for a month. I am beginning the C25k program all over again this week..and its so much fun!:carrot:

valo
06-03-2011, 02:10 AM
I just did my W1 D2 exercise! I started on Sunday and then had a couple of really busy days with school work and while walking around city wearing bad shoes, got half a dozen blisters in my feet and had to heal my poor feet! OK, I did almost 20 min warming by walking and cool down was also longer, all in all I was out for 50 min. :D

OhMyDogs
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Just finished W2D1, it was a bit of a struggle, but I finished!! Hopefully Day 2 will be easier!

AshleighAO
06-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a question for anyone who has or in the process of doing c25k. Do you do the routine every other day or do you do it on set days like M,W,F (which would leave SA and SU off from the program)? I'm asking because if you think it's best to do it MWF, I will wait to start Monday, if you guys think it's ok to go every other day in which the days always change, I may just start today and then do w1d2 on sunday.

kylonaa
06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I think I'll jump in here too :)

I did W1D1 on Wednesday and plan to do the next one today. I totally wasn't expecting to be able to complete all the runs but I did it and I was so proud! I seem to react a little differently than most I've seen on here in that my breathing is ok but its my lower legs and shins that cramp up and make it really hard for me to continue. I've been drinking lots of water but I guess that just means I need to keep doing strengthening exercises for my legs to help support me.

Happy jogging/running all!

Ferumbras
06-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Ashleigh: I'd say do whatever's comfortable for you and what you can maintain. For me, I'm trying to do it every other day, but if I get off by a day, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Since I'm also doing 30 Day Shred every day, I don't want to risk injury by doing both exercises every day, so having a day off from c25k every other day works well for me.

bama girl
06-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I had originally planned on MWF, but I think I'm going to just go ahead and do it every other day. I'd love to get done a few days earlier! :)

envelope
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Ashleigh- Do what ever works the best for you.

kylonaa- I have the same problems you do. I am trying to strech more before and after jogging.

bama girl - I am too impatient to go on a set MWF. I look foward to completing each section, it brings a sense of accomplishment.

Ms Marvel
06-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, today was just as much of a pain! My phone (with the podcast) crashed several times, then the TREADMILL crashed! When I got going, my stomach starting grumbling and I had to take a bathroom break, when I got back the treadmill had reset... I pushed on, and then someone came in and put the television on so loud I missed the cue on my podcast to run! I finally had to take it off and just count the intervals on the treadmill. (Who watches Friends to work out?) And then one of my earbuds fell into the treadmill and got ground up.

But I completed it! Running at 8, walking at 5, with slightly longer breaks due to bathroom/missing cues. Will eat no beans on Sunday and do it properly, I will!

OhMyDogs
06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a question for anyone who has or in the process of doing c25k. Do you do the routine every other day or do you do it on set days like M,W,F (which would leave SA and SU off from the program)? I'm asking because if you think it's best to do it MWF, I will wait to start Monday, if you guys think it's ok to go every other day in which the days always change, I may just start today and then do w1d2 on sunday.

I do a "Monday, Wednesay, Friday" type routine, but I actually go Friday, Sunday, Tuesday. I just felt compelled to start on a Friday :)

Ferumbras
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Ms Marvel: I'm impressed you persevered! I would've given up in frustration and disgust.

AshleighAO
06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't start today, long day lead to a short workout so we will see when I do start- Monday at the latest!

Ferumbras
06-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Just did w2d1. Ugh. Did not feel so great today. The last two intervals were really tough and my running pace suffered as a result. I may end up having to repeat this week.

BarnyardPunch
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Do you do the routine every other day or do you do it on set days like M,W,F (which would leave SA and SU off from the program)?

I'm on W8D1 and found that it's best to just listen to your body and your life schedule. Basically, if it seemed like the jog took a lot out of me, I'd rest two days. If not, I'd rest just one. Also, if I completed the the last day of a "week" on a down note, I'd repeat the jog at that level before going on. It's taken me 10 or so weeks to get to week 8.

Bottom line, you can be really flexible with the program. I'd say the most important part is just getting started. Good luck!

MzJuicyD
06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Ummm i started C25K a couple months ago. I did week 1 day 1 and thought I was going to die! I never tried again after that lol. Im such a loser lol.

Ms Marvel
06-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Just did w2d1. Ugh. Did not feel so great today. The last two intervals were really tough and my running pace suffered as a result. I may end up having to repeat this week.

Don't worry too much about repeating - I'm on my third week of Week 1! The important thing is to keep going - there's no hurry.

envelope
06-04-2011, 07:14 PM
One of the best things about doing the c25k program is that it really seems to rev up my metabolism. I jog really slowly, and it still makes a huge difference for me. I think I am going to work through the program jogging slowly and then repeat it increasing my speed.

Ferumbras
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Ms Marvel: Thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can't keep the program's pace. :)

NTexas
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I have done my own version of C25K and I am paying for it in pain. I had gotten up to a mile at 5mph, but couldn't break through for longer runs so I slowed down and finally made it for 2 miles. So that became my new benchmark - jog/drill at least 2 miles each run. At first things were okay, then my hip hurt for a little bit. Thought nothing of it - pulled a muscle is all. Next run, took a day to recover. Then it started hurting during. Now yesterday, I could barely finish because of the pain and it still hurts to walk. After researching on the internet I think I have Trochanteric Bursitis. So I guess I need to stop running for a while and build up my hip muscles to start again. Lesson learned is to not push yourself before your time... I still plan to cross train with step areobics and eliptical because I still got all these darn calories to burn and fitness to preserve. Darn it, middle age and I have a birthday next week, lol (articles say this is common for middle aged women who run)!

juliana77
06-04-2011, 10:35 PM
I did w3d1 today! I was apprehensive at the 3-min run intervals because I found the 1:30s challenging sometimes, but I did it! My calves did feel a little crampy, so I think I will stop and stretch midway through my warmup walk (I have been doing 10 min) next time.

Also, I am a slooooow-poke. I run at 3.6-3.7 and walk at 2.7-3.0

OhMyDogs
06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I run slooooooooooow too. Way slow, hardly faster than I walk. I am not worrying about speed for now, just worried about getting in the proper amount of running. Maybe, if I feel compelled, when I am done, I will do the C25K again, but will jog the "recovery" period, and jog faster on the "run" periods, to slowly build up speed, but keep the running up. Not sure, I'll have to see how I feel about it at the time.

envelope
06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
If you need to jog slow, that is ok! Last fall when I did a 5k, 2 speedwalkers passed me!!! I did w2d3 last night...not sure if I am repeating or going on to try w3d1 next.

juliana77
06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
If you need to jog slow, that is ok! Last fall when I did a 5k, 2 speedwalkers passed me!!! I did w2d3 last night...not sure if I am repeating or going on to try w3d1 next.

Do w3d1. If you can't finish the 3 min, you can just repeat that day until you can. But I think you may be surprised!

Ferumbras
06-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Just did w2d2. Felt better than day one of this week, but I was disappointed to see that my distance fell a bit. Maybe that was due to the slight headwind I was battling for half of it? My average run speed was good, though, just about 10 min/mile. I was worried about running today as my stomach has not been happy all morning, but it didn't seem to bother me during the run, thankfully.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

OhMyDogs
06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I just did W2D2 and am struggling with it a bit. Part of the problem is that my throat gets horribly parched, and feels like it's sticking together. I am thinking of buying a small small water bottle (one of those one's that's the size of a juice box) so I can take a sip here and there when my throat gets "sticky". What do you all think? Or do you have a better idea?? This for me is a big issue. Along with breathing and tired muscles LOL.

Honestly, right now I am not enjoying the C25K right now, but I will keep going. I am hoping that I will enjoy it more when I am not struggling so much.

Ferumbras
06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I think the small water bottle sounds like a good idea -- I've been thinking about getting one myself. And I know what you mean about not enjoying c25k that much. Today while running a semi-seriously contemplated quitting it. But I'm going to try to stick it out for at least the month of June and see how I feel. The first week I felt good, so maybe it's just week 2 that's terrible, eh?

OhMyDogs
06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I think the small water bottle sounds like a good idea -- I've been thinking about getting one myself. And I know what you mean about not enjoying c25k that much. Today while running a semi-seriously contemplated quitting it. But I'm going to try to stick it out for at least the month of June and see how I feel. The first week I felt good, so maybe it's just week 2 that's terrible, eh?

Maybe!! We seem to be running the same W and D on the same days (Friday, Sunday, Tuesday here). We should check in with each other after each run, because I too kind of contemplated quitting. This way we're accountable to each other? What do you think?

Ferumbras
06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
OhMyDogs: Sounds like a great idea to me!!

OhMyDogs
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Ferumras: Excellent, I think it will be easier with a "running buddy".

Ferumbras
06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
OhMyDogs: I sent you a PM about it.

kylonaa
06-05-2011, 07:08 PM
@Envelope- Glad to know its not just me. What stretches do you do and do they seem to help?

I finished week 1 today and found it odd that day 1 was the easiest and day 3 the hardest. I'm going to take off at least two days before I do the next one since I think I'm asking a lot of my body and I'm sore all over today. I'm debating redoing week but since I did make it through I think I'm just going to go on. If I'm not able to finish a day I'll redo that one until I can. I also go pretty slow (3.0-3.2 for walking and 4.0-4.2 for running) so do you guys think it would be better to repeat weeks trying to increase speed or finish the program and then work on speed then?

envelope
06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
This is a link to cool running and their suggested stretches.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

I do 1, 2, 3, 6, 11, and 12

josey
06-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I just did W2D2 and am struggling with it a bit. Part of the problem is that my throat gets horribly parched, and feels like it's sticking together. I am thinking of buying a small small water bottle (one of those one's that's the size of a juice box) so I can take a sip here and there when my throat gets "sticky". What do you all think? Or do you have a better idea?? This for me is a big issue. Along with breathing and tired muscles LOL.

Honestly, right now I am not enjoying the C25K right now, but I will keep going. I am hoping that I will enjoy it more when I am not struggling so much.

I drink a bottle (500ml) of water every time I do a C25k run. My throat gets parched quickly. I don't think anything wrong with drinking!

josey
06-05-2011, 09:42 PM
So, after a week with no workout, running or anything my legs feels like new. I am glad I did take a break, although strangely enough I MISSED running. Huh? I can't believe it myself!
Anyways, I did W4D1 today and I barely finished it. It was sooooo hard. I blame the week without workout and especially the 30C in the room. It was just hot, hot, hot. However, I made it!!! I am so proud of myself. That kind of determination is totally new to me. I am not competitive at all and usually have zero determination with physical tasks like workouts.
Now I am sitting on the couch grinning like an idiot because I did it again :-)

Have a great run everybody!

Beck
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I did W1D3 today and ended my set with a run of 2.5 minutes. I'm thinking of doubling up my weeks (2 weeks of week 1 training, 2 weeks of week 2, etc). I'm aiming to run a 5k on Thanksgiving - more than 18 weeks away- so it'll give me plenty of prep time. I didn't struggle with week 1, but I don't want to move forward too quickly and put myself at risk of feeling defeated if I can't get through a certain week.

I'm doing the program with my oldest son, age 13, who already can run, but is doing it together with me to encourage me along.

aimeebell
06-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I also go pretty slow (3.0-3.2 for walking and 4.0-4.2 for running) so do you guys think it would be better to repeat weeks trying to increase speed or finish the program and then work on speed then?

I wouldn't repeat weeks to increase speed. When I began the C25K program, I had a race in mind that was 8 weeks away. So, I knew I had no time for repeats. I finished the program running a 12 minute mile. That first race I ran 11 minute miles, then two months later I raced and averaged 9.28 minute miles. I NEVER worked on or worried about my speed. Getting faster just comes naturally as your heart and lungs get more efficient. Speed has never been important to me. My pace is slow, but I don't care as long as I get it done!

Purplebombshell
06-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello all!!! Starting tonight. Eek!

BarnyardPunch
06-06-2011, 04:55 PM
So, after a week with no workout, running or anything my legs feels like new. I am glad I did take a break, although strangely enough I MISSED running. Huh? I can't believe it myself!
Anyways, I did W4D1 today and I barely finished it. It was sooooo hard.

Nice work sticking with it! For what it's worth, the jump from W3 to W4 was HARD for me. I tried W4D1 and then went back and redid W3. Felt a lot better starting W4 the second time.

Definitely taking a few days off can renew your legs if you've been cranking out jogs every other day. It really does help.

BarnyardPunch
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm debating redoing week but since I did make it through I think I'm just going to go on. If I'm not able to finish a day I'll redo that one until I can. I also go pretty slow (3.0-3.2 for walking and 4.0-4.2 for running) so do you guys think it would be better to repeat weeks trying to increase speed or finish the program and then work on speed then?

Definitely finish the program before worrying about speed. Speed will come. This is on advice from both the program and from my marathoning best friend. C25K is set up for either achieving distance or time goals. Speed follows.

I'm starting W8 tonight (ACK!). I "wog" at about 4.5 to 4.7 at this point and walk at 3.3 to 3.5. In two weeks when I'm done (hopefully), I hope to start to work on speed a little. Right now, I'm just trying to get through each jog without having to take a break.

Good luck!

IsabellaOlivia
06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Did day 1 of week 1 today. So hard.

josey
06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice work sticking with it! For what it's worth, the jump from W3 to W4 was HARD for me. I tried W4D1 and then went back and redid W3. Felt a lot better starting W4 the second time.

Definitely taking a few days off can renew your legs if you've been cranking out jogs every other day. It really does help.

Thanks! I was wondering what transition of weeks was the hardest. So far it was a breeze until W3 to W4. Ugh! I will try W4D2 tomorrow and see how that one goes. In my experience D2 is the hardest of the week.

AshleighAO
06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm on W8D1 and found that it's best to just listen to your body and your life schedule. Basically, if it seemed like the jog took a lot out of me, I'd rest two days. If not, I'd rest just one. Also, if I completed the the last day of a "week" on a down note, I'd repeat the jog at that level before going on. It's taken me 10 or so weeks to get to week 8.

Bottom line, you can be really flexible with the program. I'd say the most important part is just getting started. Good luck!

Well, I did the most important part today :) I did w1d1 this evening. Felt really good. Tiring for sure but did feel good.

Ferumbras
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm taking a day off from c25k today. My knees are hurting me and my aunt's house is on a huge hill. I don't think my knees are up for that kind of challenge. Tomorrow, I hope to find a flat road to run along.

Scarlett
06-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I wanted to say that I think this thread is pure gold. I carefully went though it post by post and made myself a "running inspiration cheat sheet" based on some of the replies here. I put it into a pretty font and color, and then printed it out. It is posted on my wall right next to my 6/18 5K countdown workout schedule. I now look at it all the time. This is what it says. The cheat sheet is so inspiring. Thank you all so much.

*~* Running Inspiration *~*

*Distance running is 99% mental, much, much more than physical.

*It's about constantly talking to yourself and saying things that will push you to keep going.

* "Are you bleeding?" "Have you passed out?" "Are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going.

*Concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!

*At times it feels hard to push through and finish the run, but you can do it!!!

*Relax your legs

*Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind say you can't do it and you'll be successful!

*While you are running, tell yourself positive words and phrases.

"I can keep going"
"I am an athlete"
"I am a runner"
"I am strong and capable"
"I can run like the wind"
"I love to run"
"I am going to do great"
"I can finish strong"
"I believe in myself"

Scarlett
06-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I am on week 4 of the program. I will second the sentiment that the transition from week 3 to 4 is super hard. I had to jump back down to week 3 for a week. After this it took me three tries to actually finish the week 4 workout completely. I've now done it completely twice, also once where I pooped out with 1 min 20 left on the last interval. I think I've got it it pretty down. I'm going to do it 2 more times then move on to week 5. I'm really starting to feel like a runner and don't think the transition to week 5 will be as bad.

NTexas
06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Between injuring my hip muscle (see post last week) and working my son's cub scout day camp (and coming home a sweating mess after being in the 100 degree heat all day so not up for much more than walking the dog when I get home), my running program is on a break.
After camp yesterday I took the kids to our local pool which has indoor/outdoor facilities and envied the runners on the track as they lapped around - someday that will be ME up there doing a 1/10 a mile in 45 seconds (yeah, one guy did three miles that fast!).
Great job everyone - keep going! I'll catch up :)

BarnyardPunch
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Oh boy. Signed up for a 5k run at the end of July today, so it's official. A lot of work to do between now and then!

Did W8D1. Had to take a break in the middle, probably more of a mental thing than physical one. I lost track of what I was doing, so just jogged as much as I could at 4.3 to 4.7 and walked some till I got to 5k total. Not exactly the program, but felt like I at least finished something.

I find that I kinda peter out at like 22 minutes, need to take a break. Get mad and then finish strong. How exactly do you get mentally tough enough to not quit in the middle? That's my problem.

mhill0823
06-07-2011, 11:39 PM
I started Week1Day1 of C25K today.... I'm so pumped.. I made it through, barely lol!

gagalu
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
ohhh, i'm so glad i happened upon this thread. i'd never heard of c25k and i've been wanting to improve my running endurance. i can only run a 12 minute mile -- or at least that's how i did the last time i attempted, which was a little over 10 lbs ago. i'm going to test this out asap!

mhill0823
06-08-2011, 12:10 AM
It's awesome, I got the app on my phone.. it's so amazing!!!!

OhMyDogs
06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
So today I did W2D3, and it was a lot easier to get through than W2D2! I did bring just a little bit of water with me today, and just had a mouthful when my throat got really dry, and it helped a TON!

Ms Marvel
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Shin splints. :no:

I've just acquired a shiny new pair of running shoes - guess my old ones were too old - and I'm going to drop my walk speed back to four. Sigh.

IsabellaOlivia
06-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Did W1D2 today. Still shocking to me the concept of me actually jogging. I think my last jog before I started this programme was 2 years ago...

envelope
06-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I did w4d1 today. My shins are still giving me a hard time. The good thing is that the more I do this, the longer I go before the muscles tighten into cement blocks.

josey
06-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Holy smokes! W4 is killing me!!!! I just finished D2 and I guess it survived. I was waiting for a real challenging week and I guess there I have it.

@envelope cement blocks? Ha! Mine too!

josey
06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Guys, I just found this old thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/172039-c25k-how-do-i-know-im-ready-move.html
I read through the first page and it is quite inspiring.

Anybody still around to tell us how it all went?

envelope
06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
I finished w4d2 yesterday and actually found it easier on me. My shin muscles did not cramp into the cement blocks!!! They did get a little tight, but not until the last run.
I am getting ready to go out and do w4d3...I'll let you know how it goes.

I am going through this faster than recomended, I feel like I am ready to keep moving.

Deanna Mitchell
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
I think I am ready to start the C25K. Is anyone thinking about starting I think it would be fun to do it with others.

" D "

aimeebell
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I love seeing all the activity on this thread. I wish the C25K thread was this busy when I completed it this winter. My new favorite running blog is called Ben Does Life. He started running when he was somewhere around 350 lbs I believe and has lost 120ish pounds. When I watch the video on his blog, it makes me tear up every time. It is so inspirational. He is doing a tour this summer complete with free 5K runs, or walks, or skipping, whatever, not races. It sounds fun and I hope I can go.

tinamariex16
06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I've read about it but I'm so afraid to try. I don't want to see how out of shape I really am!

NEMom
06-10-2011, 03:19 PM
This week I started a very similar running program, the biggest difference I can see is that I go to a 'class' each week and the week schedules are slightly different.
Today was my W1 D2. My biggest problem is sore, sore leg and shin muscles. They hurt so bad but I will keep going. I got a watch and use the timer to keep track of the intervals. I do have to walk a little longer in between but the lady in charge of our class said the most important thing is to keep moving.
Today was a little easier than the first day, which I felt I was going to die, but I am sooo out of shape that I expected it to be hard.

Ferumbras
06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm taking a few days off so I can get some better running shoes. I'm really worried that I'm damaging my knees the way things currently stand, but I don't want to stop doing c25k. I'll try to get back to running next week.

peanutt
06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Just a quick note for those of you having knee/leg pain....try shortening your stride when you run. I found that any pain I was having in my legs and knees almost immediately stopped when I switched to using a shorter stride in my runs. :)

Ferumbras
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
It's weird: I don't have knee pain while running. It's later, when I'm doing an activity like walking down stairs or squatting, that I get the knee pain. Having not run for a few days, that pain has gone (and it came on when I started running). I'll try shortening my stride, though. Thanks!

IsabellaOlivia
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Did W1D3 today. On to the challenges week 2 brings.:trampo:

josey
06-11-2011, 12:02 AM
woohooo! I finished W4 today and survived!
I will start W5 on Sunday. Wish me luck

Nixxie
06-11-2011, 06:01 AM
I am thinking about starting this. I am getting over bronchitis right now so no exercising for me. I was doing elliptical classes 3 times a week for 55 minutes and that was fun so I thought about alternating with running. Shall see how I feel once I stop coughing.

BarnyardPunch
06-11-2011, 05:05 PM
It's weird: I don't have knee pain while running. It's later, when I'm doing an activity like walking down stairs or squatting, that I get the knee pain. Having not run for a few days, that pain has gone (and it came on when I started running). I'll try shortening my stride, though. Thanks!

I was in physical therapy for several months for my right knee a few years ago. What I learned was (in my case) is that even though I was pretty active, the muscles around my knee were not equally developed. My PT said this was not uncommon for women.

When hiking and trail jogging, the knee wasn't being used correctly and as a result, there would be swelling and pain in the joint post-exercise. Ignoring this for many years caused some irreversible damage.

Things that help:

- taking an anti-inflammatory like Advil right before jogging

- icing my knee right after jogging and if not right after, that night, sometimes both

- running shoes that are right for my natural stride

and most importantly:
- leg strengthening exercises. Jogging doesn't really strengthen the muscles that stabilize the knee, so it really helps to do leg work on your off days.

Even if it's just while you're sitting at your desk. A great exercise is extending your leg so it's parallel to the ground, tense your quads and hold it for 60 seconds. Or several times a day just stopping and doing a set of heel lifts, go up on your toes and hold.

Good luck and keep on truckin'!

OhMyDogs
06-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, the night before last, I decided that I'd skip my run yesterday morning. But, when 7am rolled around, and I was laying in bed, with a sore back, listening to my husband and girls argue, I changed my mind and decided to run after all. I am SO glad I did. I do NOT want to create a pathway for myself to quit. It would/could start with "I don't want to go today, so I will go tomorrow instead", and could/would end up at "I don't want to go today, so I won't". I went, I felt way better for having run, even though I didn't want to, and for sticking with it.

Week 3, Day 2 is done!!

josey
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, the night before last, I decided that I'd skip my run yesterday morning. But, when 7am rolled around, and I was laying in bed, with a sore back, listening to my husband and girls argue, I changed my mind and decided to run after all. I am SO glad I did. I do NOT want to create a pathway for myself to quit. It would/could start with "I don't want to go today, so I will go tomorrow instead", and could/would end up at "I don't want to go today, so I won't". I went, I felt way better for having run, even though I didn't want to, and for sticking with it.

Week 3, Day 2 is done!!

Way to go!!! Good job on running after all!
I had one of those moments yesterday too. I was running out of time for my workout. Then I thought "nope, I need some me time and a run would be good". Part of it was that I was (again) scared of a new week. W5 seemed daunting after struggling through W4 last week. Anyways, I hopped on the treadmill thinking I can always stop if it gets too tough. I LOVED IT! I had no problem whatsoever! Last week running 5 minutes almost killed me. Yesterday is was just killing it! First 5 minute run and I didn't look at the time until 4 minutes were done. (That's how I judge how hard it is) And the other two 5 minute sections were ok too (looked at the time after 3 minutes each run). LOVED IT!!! Surprisingly I think this was the easiest run sofar. I was totally shocked and just bursting with energy after.
W5D2 will be tougher since they bump it up to 8 minutes. This is the first week where you don't repeat the same 3x. Will be interested how it goes on Tuesday.

Good job ladies! Keep on running! We can do this!

josey
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I've read about it but I'm so afraid to try. I don't want to see how out of shape I really am!

I was scared when I started but they really ease you into it. Try it! I am sure you will love it too! I am/was a serious life-long couch potato before. Now I am not only running but also enjoying it.

IsabellaOlivia
06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
How long is the total time of running for week 2?

josey
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
How long is the total time of running for week 2?

You can find the details here: http://www.c25k.com/

NTexas
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
After a week off program, I got my two miles in today, but I hurt. I took the week off because 1) hip pain and 2) working my son's camp so no time or energy. Now today I ran 2 miles and my quads are s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g. Walking around the grocery store this afternoon I was limping. Amazing how quickly we get out of shape! Hope I recover in time for my run on Friday and more cardio tomorrow *bites nails*
I guess I would be on Week 6 , Day 2 of the C25K program.

ETA: The next morning my legs feel much better. Today will be a light cardio day (walking & step) and hope to go for my 2.25 mile run tomorrow *fingers crossed*

Ferumbras
06-13-2011, 11:54 PM
After having taken a week off, I got back to it today, repeating the sequence from week one as opposed to finishing off week two. I'm glad I did so. While overall I felt good, esp. as I got new, proper running shoes today, I was battling a stiff wind half the time and had trouble with my breathing. No stitch in my side except a hint of one for the first minute, but I felt like I was breathing a little too shallowly. I think it may just be a remnant of the cold I had last week as this hasn't been an issue for me before.

valo
06-14-2011, 06:42 AM
I restarted from the beginning last week and have now re-completed the week 1. Although I have never exercised as much as I have lately, I feel at the moment that I am not making progress with running although I can feel the progress in riding the exercise bike and doing the 30 day shred. Funny and annoying at the same time. I'll start the W2 tomorrow if I have enough time in the morning!

OhMyDogs
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, was feeling quite poorly yesterday, and hoped beyond hope that I would be fine this morning. But I wasn't. Woke up feeling gross and sick still. I decided to try to run anyway (Week 3, Day 3) because I didn't want to get off track. I made it through the run, but it was very hard. I believe this is for a couple of reasons:

1) I have been (and still am) sick and feel somewhat weak
2) I haven't been drinking water appropriately, and am not well hydrated
3) I ran today at 9am, rather than 7am, and it's much warmer out, making me feel exceedingly hot.

Lessons learned:
Drink appropriate amounts of water every day
Run earlier to avoid the heat.

It's not killer out, only 17C, but it's much easier to run when it's 12C. I am absolutely dripping with sweat for the first time ever.

NEMom
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Finished W1 D5 and I feel good about continuing to work on running, although, actually its a slow jog for me. I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough. I really want to love running but am not there yet, hopefully the further along I get in the program I will begin to feel the love and energy that everyone talks about.

Kate74
06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I am starting the c25k, I have to modify it because I am not allowed to run. I am not sure which program you folks are doing but it sounds much more extreme than the one I found. lol

Fist week is 30 minutes, 10 minutes for 3 days. I can walk way farther than that already, but I don't so I am starting there to get into the routine of it.

See ya at the finish line.

josey
06-14-2011, 05:00 PM
@Kate74 Huh? C25k is all about running.

Anyways, I am going to try W5D2 tonight. I am scared!! I have to do 8 minutes now. And I don't even want to think about W5D3 which is 20 minutes straight! Ohoh. Wish me luck.

MariaMaria
06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough.

So DON'T increase the time.

It took you years and years to reach your current level of lack-of-fitness. You can afford to take a few more days or weeks in your journey to fitness.

Seriously-- C25K progresses really, really quickly. Some people get lucky and complete it on schedule and without injury within their first six months' running, but I'm guessing that more do not. Take it easy on yourself and give your bones, muscles, and cardiovascular system time to adapt set yourself up to be one of the success stories.

(PS, either you're running--both feet off the ground at one time-- or you're walking. A slow run in still a run. And a beginning runner is going to be a slow runner.)

OhMyDogs
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Finished W1 D5 and I feel good about continuing to work on running, although, actually its a slow jog for me. I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough. I really want to love running but am not there yet, hopefully the further along I get in the program I will begin to feel the love and energy that everyone talks about.

This is the case for me as well. I jog super slow, but I don't care, it's running all the same. When I am done the program, I think I will repeat it, I will run the whole time, but the "running" times will be a "run faster" time for me, learning to slowly increase my speed.

Kate74
06-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Josey, I beg to differ, couch to 5K is all about getting off the couch and getting active. if you look around you will find piles of programs that base the program on those that cannot run.

IsabellaOlivia
06-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Completed W2D2 today.

josey
06-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Josey, I beg to differ, couch to 5K is all about getting off the couch and getting active. if you look around you will find piles of programs that base the program on those that cannot run.

I don't know but http://c25k.com/ states the following:

The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program
C25K, is a fantastic program that's been designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks.

So far we were talking about running here i.e. learning to run 5k in 9 weeks as far as I understand. At least that's what thought we are talking about!

Do you have a link to the walking plan? I was wondering what the goal is.

Anyways, I think whatever gets you moving is great regardless of the program/name.

josey
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
W5D2 is done!! I actually did get through last night. The first run of 8 minutes was surprisingly easy! Woohoo! The second one a bit tougher. Anyways, now I can start sweating W5D3 which is a 20 minutes run (no walking!). Scary stuff!

MariaMaria
06-15-2011, 04:34 PM
[I]The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program

And her walking hurts your running... how, exactly?

Ferumbras
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Just did week 2, day 3 and it felt good!

I forgot to turn the location services on for the iphone app (if I leave them on it drains my batteries with this app for some reason), so I don't know my distance or pace, but I didn't feel that I was going particularly quickly. That's okay, though. I felt a lot better about than I had with the first two days in this week and having water with me (I went out and bought a camel-back-type thing) really helped keep my energy up.

Still feeling like I can't take the deep breaths as I should be, though. Lung capacity has always been an issue for me.

The one real downside to today was during the last interval my sock slipped down and I got a blister on my heel. :( Oh well.

josey
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
And her walking hurts your running... how, exactly?

I didn't say that. I was just wondering what her program is since the C25k I know is all about running.

NTexas
06-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, I tried and a lesson learned. Becuase of errands and whatnot I didn't make it to the gym with the kids until 11:00 am and got on the treadmill and ran out of steam at 1 mile instead of my intended 2.25 :( [C25K W6 Workout 3]
Usually I run at 8:00am, about 30 minutes after eating my oatmeal breakfast. I think I had nothing in the gas tank today since it had been 3+ hours since I ate anything. I finished up with 30 minutes on the eliptical and I felt sluggish instead of energetic, but I got my workout in.
So for my Friday run - go early with something in the tummy and here's hoping to cross that 2 mile mark!

BarnyardPunch
06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

I don't think the program is meant to be super rigid either. I've repeated a couple of weeks, done the same "week" for four days instead of three and right now, I'm taking forever to break that 25 to 28 minute ceiling.

Hang in there. Soon you'll be jogging for two minutes with a minute more to go and you'll think, "60 seconds more? I've totally got this!"

tiffanylee
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
i completed W1 D1 yesterday.. it was pretty good. i got to 1.8 miles. on a treadmill.. what is the speeds you all do for walking?jogging?running?

NTexas
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Hope everyone is still running!

I finally made it through week 6!!:carrot: Got my 2.25 mile run done in record time - 28 minutes! Don't ask me how I got so fast. On May 23rd I ran my first 2 miles and it took me 32 minutes (16 min mile) and today I am just under 13 min mile. I guess it was true when they say don't worry about speed - it will come.
Not looking forward to week 7 though with 3 - 2.5 mile runs - no more walk/run intervals for me :) And if you have been keeping track, it has taken me almost 4 weeks to finish week 6 (but I did have an injury that kept me sidelined for about 2 weeks).

Keep going! :running:

NTexas
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
i completed W1 D1 yesterday.. it was pretty good. i got to 1.8 miles. on a treadmill.. what is the speeds you all do for walking?jogging?running?

I consider walking up to 4mph. Jogging is more than 4mph but less than 5. Running is 5mph and up. I base this on the calorie burn charts that list running speeds starting at 5 and I can comfortably walk a 15 minute mile, but I also 9" taller than you. HTH.

OhMyDogs
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I have been absent from the boards (aside from popping on to update this thread) for a couple of weeks because I have been off plan. HOWEVER, despite being off plan, I still ran religiously.

Today is Day 1 back on plan.

I ran Week 4 Day 1 today. I left my house sure I wouldn't complete today's run, but having decided that I would just stay to Week 4, Day 1 until I could make all the runs. Can you imagine my shock when I not only DID make it through all the runs, but wasn't dying? I mean, I was like "oh, we're done...ok" rather than the usual "OMG we have GOT to be finished soon...I can't go much further".

There are 2 things that helped me a little:
1) I made my own podcast, with my own music (I LOVE my music, but wasn't really into the trance/techno of the podcast I was using)
2) It was raining, which helped to keep me cool

But aside from these, I have NO clue how the heck I managed with energy left over. The only downfall was that I was feeling a little sick to my stomach when I was done, but that passed.

envelope
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Just finished w5. My legs are tired, but they feel good.
NTexas - Congrats on finishing w6.

TiffanyLee - I do not use a treadmill, but I jog about a 15 min mile. I walk a 17 min mile. Their is not alot of speed difference, but it is a completely different work out. Do whatever works for you. When I am finished, I plan on starting over and doing my slow jog for the walking and increasing the speed.

Ferumbras
06-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I just completed week 3, day 2. I did it again on the treadmill, this time running a 10 minute mile. Now the trick is to see if I can push myself to do that when running outside. Best I've managed on my own so far is a 10:10 mile.

NEMom
06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I am very disheartened, I have been working on this for two weeks and for some reason when I got up last Thursday after my Wed night group run, my knees were killing me. I did not run Thursday or Friday, my knees felt a little better on Sat so I ran but it was a mistake, my knees are so sore I can barley stand. I have been using ice and advil and have found out I have Patellar Tendonitis, and it is so ouchie! I am going to give it a couple days off and then try again.
I really want to develop a running program and am so sad that my body is not working.

Ferumbras
06-20-2011, 04:12 PM
NEMom: Ouch! That's awful! Just curious, but have you looked into getting your gait analyzed at a running store? I was having knee issues, went to get my gain analyzed, bought shoes that are appropriate for my bio-mechanics, and now no longer have knee trouble. Granted, I don't have patellar tendonitis, but it may still be worth a look.

MariaMaria
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Were you progessing according to the C25K schedule? SLOW IT DOWN. They go from nothing to 5K really, really fast. And LOTS of people get injured and regard their injuries as random chance, rather than something that's not surprising given how fast they're expecting their musculoskeletal systems to adapt to high-impact use.

Ferumbras
06-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Just did week 3, day 3, this time running outside. I thought I was going really slowly, but according to my phone app, my average run pace as 9:42! My walk slowed to 16:13, however. I was sorely tempted to quit halfway through, but I'm glad I pushed myself.

BarnyardPunch
06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Were you progessing according to the C25K schedule? SLOW IT DOWN. They go from nothing to 5K really, really fast.

The one part about c25k that I don't love is that you can feel like you're not going fast enough or long enough soon enough and you end up doing too much. That and there just aren't enough caveats when getting started. For some couch potatoes, the program is actually slow. I've seen out of shape friends go from c25k easily in 9 weeks.

However, they had maybe a beer gut or 15 extra pounds and no known knee problems. For me, I need to remember that I've got 70 extra pounds and a bum right knee.

Definitely do leg strengthening exercises outside of jogging. It's the only thing that'll keep your knee healthy enough to run. And do make sure you're using shoes with the appropriate amount of stability for your gait. Otherwise, you're landing wrong with every stride and can be causing damage. Makes a HUGE difference.

And just keep in mind that no matter how fast you're going, every step forward jogging is one more than you've ever gone before!

almostatty
06-22-2011, 03:07 AM
C25K is the first thing I found on this site, and I love it already! I don't psych myself out dreading a long workout and then just saying 'awww forget it' and staying home on my comfy couch. Every other day for 20 mins? AND I work up a crazy sweat? I love it!

IsabellaOlivia
06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I did w2d3 today. I'm so out shape, I'm sure the old people who run by me on every jog wonders how it's possible to be that young and out of shape.

MariaMaria There is a danger of getting hurt by doing c25k too fast, but I convert the running into a light jog since I haven't jogged for 3 years. It's important to do the programme according your own physical endurance.

Scarlett
06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Today I did W5D2 for the first time. I did the first 8 min without much trouble then pooped out with 3 min left in the second 8 min. I really struggled with week 4, then after 2-3 weeks realized my problem was with pacing myself. It became more of a problem as the runs got longer. I started using a heart rate monitor and that nipped this problem in the bud. I really just need to get used to running longer distances.

Today when I didn't finish my second 8 min interval, my heart rate monitor told me I was around 165 bpm, which is the heart rate I normally run at. Once it starts creeping up to 175-180, I start feeling winded and try to slow down. I think I really could have kept going, I just lost my focus. Plus I didn't sleep that well last night and wasn't feeling that fresh. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finish it. I'm going to stay at this workout for a few days and let myself get used to running for this long. I don't feel ready to attempt 20 min of jogging. I hope to be onto week 6 by the end of June.

IsabellaOlivia
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
I see that so many of you are above 200 pounds and I think it's absolutely amazing you guys go jogging with all the extra weight to carry. It has to be tough.

Ferumbras
06-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Week 4, day 1 today. I took it easy on the treadmill today, doing the 3-minute runs at 10:54 and the 5-minute ones at 12. I hurt my knee doing zumba immediately before and so didn't want to stress it any.

Scarlett
06-23-2011, 01:53 AM
I see that so many of you are above 200 pounds and I think it's absolutely amazing you guys go jogging with all the extra weight to carry. It has to be tough.

Around when I started, I saw a few people post on here that they completed the whole program at 200+ weights. Therefore, I knew it could be done.

Also I just did my second 5k. More than anything I was proud of myself for signing up and actually doing it. Not waiting until I was thinner and more in shape to run a race. Not being afraid that the person behind me could see my bum bounce or worried about being the fattest person there. It just felt good to be out there racing rather than home psyching myself out.

OhMyDogs
06-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Well, today was my first run after a week off due to a back injury. I last ran last Friday, and I did Week 4, Day 1 then....so I decided to try Week 4, Day 1 today, and couldn't believe that I made it!! Was it tough? Yes, but I made it. It also didn't help that it was very muggy out.

I hadn't been sure if, after a week off, I should backtrack and do Week 3 again, or if I should start back up at Week 4, and just keep pushing until I got through it...I opted for the latter believing the mental "stigma" of backtracking would be detrimental to my drive to continue on with the program. I think, for me, it was a good call. I am glad glad to be back to running.

During my week off, I went and bought some good running shoes, rather than my $20 Walmart cheapies, now I just have to get them broken in.

AnonymouslyYours
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey y'all!

I'm going to join this thread if you do not mind. :) I started about 6 weeks ago, repeated week 1 because one of my friends was going to do it with me and asked me to restart it with her, she quit 4 work outs later, and here I am 5 weeks after that, still going strong.

I completed week 5 day 3 today -- which I have been seriously dreading -- and I am so proud of myself. I did not think I would see the day when I could run for 20 minutes without stopping. And I just feel so much better every day!

josey
06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
No running for me this week :-( TOM is just brutal. Back on track on Sunday!

AnonymouslyYours
06-24-2011, 05:37 PM
No running for me this week :-( TOM is just brutal. Back on track on Sunday!

Haha, I've been dealing with that this week, too!!! So ready for it to be over. Ugh! Running with cramps is awful!

Scarlett
06-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I completed week 5 day 3 today -- which I have been seriously dreading -- and I am so proud of myself. I did not think I would see the day when I could run for 20 minutes without stopping. And I just feel so much better every day!

YAY!! :carrot:

Thats what I love about this program more than anything, the progress you see. It feels so good to be able to run for 10 min when a few months ago you could barely run for 90 seconds. It just feels amazing when you complete and interval. This has helped me see exercise as separate from diet, and push me to run on "lost" days.

Today I did W5D2 hopefully I'll be right there with you in a few days ;).

AnonymouslyYours
06-25-2011, 12:37 AM
YAY!! :carrot:

Thats what I love about this program more than anything, the progress you see. It feels so good to be able to run for 10 min when a few months ago you could barely run for 90 seconds. It just feels amazing when you complete and interval. This has helped me see exercise as separate from diet, and push me to run on "lost" days.

Today I did W5D2 hopefully I'll be right there with you in a few days ;).

Thank you!! Haha! I know, I seriously love that about it, as well, and I keep telling my friends about it for that reason. Sometimes I feel like a spokesperson for c25k but I am enjoying it thoroughly and seeing myself progress is so worthwhile.

I am going to go to the gym tomorrow and plan to replicate today's success, hopefully it goes well! And I am SURE you will be there in no time! That twenty minutes actually goes by faster than I thought it would. Good luck!

AnonymouslyYours
06-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I did w5d3 again this morning. Taking tomorrow off and starting week 6 on Monday! :)

Scarlett
06-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Today I got outside and did W5D2, for the second day in a row. It seemed harder to do today and It was hard enough yesterday. I was practically jogging in place by the end of it. I'm definately not ready to attempt the 20 min run.

I'm hoping to complete it the next 3 days, for a total of 5x in a row. Then I'll probably be ready to move on.

AnonymouslyYours
06-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Today I got outside and did W5D2, for the second day in a row. It seemed harder to do today and It was hard enough yesterday. I was practically jogging in place by the end of it. I'm definately not ready to attempt the 20 min run.

I'm hoping to complete it the next 3 days, for a total of 5x in a row. Then I'll probably be ready to move on.

It is amazing to me that you do it so many days in a row, girl! Holy cow! I can't go more than two in a row without taking a day off, so just WOW!

exjordanaire
06-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm just joining this thread. I actually heard about C25K through this Forum and checked it and started it myself. I'm disappointed to say that I couldn't last the whole 20 minutes and I'm only on Week 1 Day 1. :( I was five minutes shy. I know I should have pushed myself harder and I will tomorrow. Hearing how so many of you are doing this and pushing yourselfs - I know I can do it. But MAN. . . talk about being completely pooped! ><

Scarlett
06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
AnonymouslyYours - That doesn't really bother me. It's only a half hour and I run pretty slow so it's low impact. Also, I'm not doing any other working out. The running usually doesn't make me sore, anymore. Though it did when I first started. I did this with week 3 too. I really struggled with trying to move up to week 4, so I did week 3 5x in a row. It was enough to convince myself I was ready to move on. Though I usually have a bit more pep in my step following a rest day.

Also, thanks for the congrats. Going on here and having people to talk to my progress is so motivating! It has definately helped me though some "steps backward" in my running.

Scarlett
06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm just joining this thread. I actually heard about C25K through this Forum and checked it and started it myself. I'm disappointed to say that I couldn't last the whole 20 minutes and I'm only on Week 1 Day 1. :( I was five minutes shy. I know I should have pushed myself harder and I will tomorrow. Hearing how so many of you are doing this and pushing yourselfs - I know I can do it. But MAN. . . talk about being completely pooped! ><

Don't get discouraged, I also really struggled when I first started in early May. I signed up for a BIG local 5K that was 3 weeks away, before I started C25K. I figured at the very least I was capable of walking 3 miles. I was really excited about this program because I was so out of shape. I was 216 pounds and REALLY on the couch. I thought the title C25K sounded so warm and fuzzy. Then I did day one and had a reality check. Stephen King could have written horror novels about the sounds coming out of my lungs. I was definitely panicked about my upcoming race. Right now I'm on week 5, I did my second 5k last weekend in 35 min and I can't believe I struggled so much with 60 second intervals a few weeks ago.

Luckily I read a "Beginning Runners" article that warned me about the extent to which you feel wiped out in the beginning. I was sore and exhausted for the first few weeks but the feeling went away. I'd recommend giving it 3-4 weeks before you make up your mind. Try and run as slow as you can and take the program at your own pace. I've had steps backward and weeks that took me a little longer to complete. It's all good, just keep at it.

almostatty
06-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi girls, I've been reading posts, and I'm really encouraged by your experiences! I just finished W1D3 today and I stepped on the scale to discover a gain of 2.5 pounds. Pretty depressing, but I'm gonna stick with it since I do feel better about myself for sticking with this even just for one week. I don't have a great track record when it comes to consistently going to the gym :/ I usually do the elliptical b/c when I run, my feet and knees end up in pain, but the short bursts are doable. I can't believe how out of breath and sweaty I get - worse than double the time on the elliptical.

Anyway, I'm just glad I found a community of people to talk about this with :>

darius
06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
I did my second 5k last weekend in 35 min

Wow that's really great; I'm doing C25K right now and I can't wait until I can post a time like that. I think my best time for a 5K right now (run/walk) is about 45 minutes.

justonemorepound
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Hey ladies, I've been at the C25K for the past 4 weeks, just heading into week 5 (terrified of the 7 minutes), every once in a while i do my C25K as i'm meant to from the plan and follow it with whatever last weeks was, it seems to be helping increase my endurance.

Anyway I'm loving it so far & hope you'll all forgive me for not reading the 13 pages before i posted- i will try to get through them

Scarlett
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Almostatty - When I started I didn't lose a pound for the first 3 weeks. I cleaned up my diet a bit but wasn't perfect. Though I could see the running progress as I was progressing though the weeks. Then the diet got a little better and the runs got a little longer and I started losing. Losing weight is almost 100% diet. Exercise helps with endorphins, cleaning up your hormonal profile, mood, sleep, fitness etc. Things that will help you stay on your diet, but in and of itself it won't help you all that much with losing weight. Someone around here has a sig quote that says "you can't out exercise poor eating habits" and thatís definitely the truth. Good Luck!

Darius - Thanks, My first one was done in 37 min and some change in late may, and then I did this one less than a month later in 35, I actually walked some of it. Your time will probably get a lot faster as you do the program; the progress you see in the beginning is so motivating. Good Luck!

AnonymouslyYours
06-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Finished week 6 day 1 today. I actually found it more difficult than w5d3, but I completed it. :)

josey
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
@AnonymouslyYours I agree! I think after running 20 minutes straight I underestimated this one. Seems so easy compared to W5D3. It's not!

Annita
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
i started running yesterday outside (around the lake near my house).
For some reasons, i had to go back to W1D1. It was so much different from running at home.
My speed is way too fast compare to running at home, therefore I'm out of breath much easier.
It's just so different when running outside.
But it feels much better.
I think i'm gonna restart myself as W1D1 yesterday, and will keep running outside. At least I was able to last myself 3 lake-rounds (around 4km), of 25 minutes (plus 5 minutes warm-up).

NTexas
06-28-2011, 01:03 PM
OK, I am back. After a few setbacks (day camp volunteer first week of June and a 9 day road trip last week), I am back on track. I finished week 6 before my trip and only ran 1x last week in 90+ degree heat with high humity and quit after 1 mile a dripping mess, so that doesn't count. So this 9-week plan is taking several months, but it WILL get done!

Today I did week 7 day 1 and ran my 2.5 miles in 30:11. Not bad, not bad at all. And you know what? I wasn't dying! My breathing was good and didn't start huffing until well into mile 2. I might actually be getting the hang of this running thing! Looking forward to doing it again on Thursday.

Good Luck everyone! It does get easier as it gets harder (if that makes any sense).

Scarlett
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I attempted W5D3 today and got through 18 min of it. I'm actually very happy.:carrot:

I planed on doing D2 again today but felt pretty good during the warm-up walk and decided to go for it. I was really hurting by min 13-14 then got a mini-second wind. I think I could have finished it, but I accidentally hit my timer with 2 min left turning it off. I was spent though.

I was also pleased that I was on pace for ~10 min mile. I've been doing this by time not by distance, but yesterday I mapquested my course to get an idea of how far I was going. The whole thing is 2.3 miles and I figure the .3 is my warm up walk. When I pooped out I was 1.5 blocks from the end.

josey
06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
I just did W6D2 today. It almost killed me but I completed the workout :-) I had sore legs and that didn't mix well. Anyways, W6D3 on Thursday!

AnonymouslyYours
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I did w6d2 today, just like my fellow troop member Josey did yesterday! Congrats again, girl! w6d3 on Friday! :)

josey
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I did w6d2 today, just like my fellow troop member Josey did yesterday! Congrats again, girl! w6d3 on Friday! :)

Awesome!

IsabellaOlivia
06-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I did W3D1 today. I had bad shin pain during the 3 minute run. I could barely lift my legs by the end of the 3 minutes. Any tips on relieving the pain?

MariaMaria
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Ice and time, Isabella. Are you wearing proper running shoes, fitted to you by someone who knows what they're doing?

IsabellaOlivia
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Ice and time, Isabella. Are you wearing proper running shoes, fitted to you by someone who knows what they're doing?

I have brand new Nike shoes, however I ordered them online, didn't have them fitted to my feet.

MariaMaria
06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
If your pain lasts or gets worse, seriously consider taking yourself to a proper running store and being fitted for shoes.

Nike makes good shoes, but not every shoe is right for every body. (And there are major differences even within any given category of shoes--not all stability shoes are the same, for example.) And that's why we buy in real life and not online.

envelope
06-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Isabella - It was not until w4 that the cement blocks that attached themselves to my shins when jogging started to get better.

If your shins do not start getting better soon, I would head over to a running store to get advise from them. I love my local running store.

almostatty
06-29-2011, 11:29 PM
So I slacked at the beginning of the week and didn't start my week 2 til tonight. I will do Friday and Sunday to complete it :D So wow - it was tough! Going from the couch to this is definitely a challenge - I'm pretty scared for weeks 5 and 6, but I feel like this is something I can make myself finish. You week 5 & 6 ladies, how did you face the long runs? Did you feel like the previous weeks prepared your body for the longer runs? idk if I'm gonna be ready! :dizzy:

BarnyardPunch
06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
You week 5 & 6 ladies, how did you face the long runs? Did you feel like the previous weeks prepared your body for the longer runs? idk if I'm gonna be ready! :dizzy:

I think the program prepares you pretty well physically, BUT there is no reason you shouldn't repeat as many days or weeks as you need to. Almost every time I thought "there's no way I can do this next longer jog!" I was pleasantly surprised. There were a couple of times that it proved to be true... I just wasn't ready and had to go back and repeat the previous day or week.

The important part is finding the balance between pushing yourself enough to make progress and not so much that your hurt yourself. Easier said than done, I know!

NTexas
06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Week 7 day 2 done! 2.5 miles in 30:31. It seemed a bit harder today but I did it!

almostatty--I have been taking my sweet time with this program, not really repeating weeks, but have 'life' breaks where I am not running, but doing other exercise (like when my son was in the hospital for 2 weeks, or on a trip or recovering from an injury - murphy has lived at my house for a while :) . The first few weeks were HARD, but as I got more fit it became easier as the program got harder. I remember running my first mile straight in late April and I thought I was going to die panting and puffing like an asthmatic. Now, I breath hard, but not panting with my heart beating out of my chest and I'm running 2.5 miles! The longer you stick with it, the better it will be, honest.

Scarlett
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Almostatty - I'm at the end of week 5. I was really out of shape when I started in early May. I was also really intimidated by the longer runs. I've had steps backward and weeks I've done for longer than a week. Sometimes when I'd try a new week I wouldn't be able to finish it. So far Week 4 was the hardest jump I've had. Your body will adjust and you'll get there if you keep at it. Good Luck :D

Annita
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
w1d2 completed.
20 minutes gone by fast :D
Cannot wait for the next run on Sunday ^_^

AnonymouslyYours
07-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Week 6 Day 3 -- COMPLETE! Woo Hoo! I ran for 25 minutes! :) Only went 2.3 miles in 25 minutes, but hey, at least I'm running faster than 5 mph!

Annita -- That's great! I love this program! You will, too! It just keeps making you feel better every time you complete the next workout... love it!

josey
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Week 6 Day 3 -- COMPLETE! Woo Hoo! I ran for 25 minutes! :) Only went 2.3 miles in 25 minutes, but hey, at least I'm running faster than 5 mph!

Annita -- That's great! I love this program! You will, too! It just keeps making you feel better every time you complete the next workout... love it!

Me too!!! YAYY!!!!!

Annita
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM
w1d3 completed.
oh...moving up to w2 on tuesday.
Hopefully I can do it well.
Today's workout felt great as usual.
I'm a little nervous for the additional 30 seconds on each run interval, but I think I can do it :D

For the last time, running outside is so different from running at home. I was at week 4 when running around my house - but running outside made my pace faster I suppose. Ah I guess that's a good thing.

thank you AnonymousYours. I think I'm starting to like it too. I used to not like it when run at home. But now running around the lake near my house make it so much different. I can enjoy each running day much better than before. I'm so excited.

Oh and i think i will go and find out how many km a trip around the lake (just to have a good idea of how many miles I run each day). I usually run 3 rounds for week 1 (includes 10 mins of total warmup and cooldown).

Scarlett
07-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Today I did W5D2. It's a step back because I did D3 (most of it) last Wed. D3 made me crazy sore so I had to take a mini-break and resumed running today.

I planned to do D3 today but just didn't have enough steam. Was crazy humid, I drank a little yesterday and I hadn't run in a few days. But I'm back on track. Just a small step back. It has happened before and I'll get past it ;).

AnonymouslyYours
07-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Complete week 7 day 1 today! :) Felt amaaaazing! (Not like w6d3, which was the same workout, but I was not sure I'd make it. haha)

Josey -- Congrats, as always! I'll catch up with you more in Boot Camp, but I can't wait to hear how your 5k went today!

Annita -- Congrats finishing week 1 running around the lake. That sounds amazing. I would love to be able to run somewhere so beautiful as the lake! Good luck on week 2 day 1 tomorrow, you've totally got this! :)

Scarlett -- It's good that you can listen to your body like that, and that you don't let small setbacks derail your progress. I'm rooting for you, girl! Can't wait to see you complete w5d3 with ease!

RowanM
07-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Getting ready to start C25K tomorrow with a final goal of being ready for the Tough Mudder run in Pennsylvania in April 2012.

Wish me luck!:D

BarnyardPunch
07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Getting ready to start C25K tomorrow with a final goal of being ready for the Tough Mudder run in Pennsylvania in April 2012.

Wish me luck!:D

Welcome to the thread, Rowan and GOOD LUCK! Stick with it and hopefully you'll like it as much as the rest of us.

Scarlett
07-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Did W5D2 again today. It's been crazy hot/humid here lately. Gonna wait until I really have this D2 down or the weather breaks to try D3 again. Any day I'm out there breaking a sweat and getting my heart rate up is a good one.

RowanM - Good Luck. Stick with it, the running gets easier.

AnonymouslyYours - thanks for the well wishes. I know if I stick with it I'll get there eventually. I try to stay positive. Also contrats on week 7, 25 min thats incredible :congrat:

RowanM
07-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Thank you both! I hope I can grow to like running, I will have a lot to do along with the obstacles in April. :D

Annita
07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
W2D1 completed.
Oh my, at every 80th second of running, i always had this thought: "oh my gosh, please tell me to stop" or something like "She hasn't told me to stop yet? Common, i've run quite far"... and blah blah...
haha, it was funny.
I'm glad I made it :D
addition 30 seconds made my legs feel it. But hey, it was a great workout as usual.

Thanks AnonymouslyYours. I cannot wait to where you are :D Running straight for 20 minutes.

MidnightRaven
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Just did W1D1 here - I tried this program once before, but quit after week two (life got in the way...).

I'm armed with the C25K iPod app, a good playlist, renewed motivation, and so much encouragement from you ladies... I can stick with it this time! :carrot:

NTexas
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Week 8 Day 1 down - 2.75 miles in 32:05 minutes. That sounds great, but... I confess I walked a tiny portion of that. I had no energy after July4th celebrations (read "Margaritas") and the run was a sheer act of will, but I did it! Hopefully after a couple of days back on plan, my next run will be better. The good news is that I must have been running faster than my usual 5 mph to get that time with walking.
Almost done, almost done :)

RowanM
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Week 8 Day 1 down - 2.75 miles in 32:05 minutes. That sounds great, but... I confess I walked a tiny portion of that. I had no energy after July4th celebrations (read "Margaritas") and the run was a sheer act of will, but I did it! Hopefully after a couple of days back on plan, my next run will be better. The good news is that I must have been running faster than my usual 5 mph to get that time with walking.
Almost done, almost done :)

Wow! I'm impressed! Week 1 Day 1 here in S.TX

NTexas
07-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow! I'm impressed! Week 1 Day 1 here in S.TX

No better time to start :) BTW, OT, I was in Corpus just a couple of weeks ago visiting relatives in Rockport. Took my boys to the Aquarium - too hot to do the Lexington this trip. Go get running though I know it is miserable in this heat (I tried 1x during my trip and about died , lol, I'm an indoor runner).

RowanM
07-05-2011, 03:40 PM
No better time to start :) BTW, OT, I was in Corpus just a couple of weeks ago visiting relatives in Rockport. Took my boys to the Aquarium - too hot to do the Lexington this trip. Go get running though I know it is miserable in this heat (I tried 1x during my trip and about died , lol, I'm an indoor runner).

I cheated and bought a treadmill for that reason... well, that and the fact that I am a total night owl and can't get the motivation to run until after midnight and I didn't want to get mugged.

Scarlett
07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
WOO!!!! :carrot:

I finished W5D3 today for the first time. It was really hot today and I felt like I'd rather walk through time square naked than go out running. I dragged myself out, perked up and decided to go for it. I didn't quite cover 2 miles but it felt great none the less.

It didn't even kill me. I felt like I could have kept going. This running thing has been so crazy. I'll struggle and be stuck for awhile then out of nowhere I'll have a day where I feel light as a feather, like I can run for miles.

AnonymouslyYours
07-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Scarett -- THAT IS SO AWESOME! Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean! I am really happy for you. I love that feeling. Are you moving on to week 6 now, or hanging on to week 5 day 3 for a while?

Scarlett
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks Anonymously Yours . I'm going to do D3 at least once more. Today I purposely tried to run very slowly and didn't cover 2 miles. Tomorrow is my rest day. I'll try it again on Thursday. If I can cover 2 miles (or close to it) in 20 min on Thursday (without feeling too dead) I'll move on. If not I'll give it a little longer. We'll see how it goes.

RowanM
07-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Golly gee! I made my way through W1D1... you don't realize how out of shape you are until you try to get up and do something about it. :D

BarnyardPunch
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
WOO!!!! :carrot:
It didn't even kill me. I felt like I could have kept going. This running thing has been so crazy. I'll struggle and be stuck for awhile then out of nowhere I'll have a day where I feel light as a feather, like I can run for miles.

HA HA HA @ "It didn't even kill me." Now I know I'm not the only one who has that feeling of surprise after a challenging run. And I have the same feeling as you with how variable it is. A good friend of mine is a regular marathoner and he says it's the same at his level. Sometimes things just aren't aligned in GO! mode and other times they are.

NICE WORK!

Scarlett
07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks BarnyardPunch I've been running for about 2 months now and I'm getting more and more used to the "swinginess" of it. It helps me to not get upset and too caught up in the tough stretches.

The previous day I struggled to finish the 2 8 min intervals, my diet and sleeping hasn't been great. I had been struggling with feeling tierd and heavy while running. Then yesterday out of nowhere I knock out 20 min. Stuff like this has happened before. It helps keep my focus on STAYING a runner.

josey
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I completed W7D2 today. Felt easier than the last two but it was a sweaty one :-)

MidnightRaven
07-06-2011, 11:56 PM
So I did W1D1 twice yesterday... once in the morning, when I typically exercise, and then in the evening I was feeling pretty stressed and antsy, so I hopped on the treadmill and did it again. I'm starting to get to the point where I look forward to going to the gym everyday (and feel somewhat off when I don't get a workout in before work in the morning) - I never thought I'd be here!

I did W1D2 today. So far I can cove 2.3 miles in 31 min. Not sure how that compares to everyone else, but it's now given me a goal to work against. I've been doing a walk at either 4.0 or 4.1 and then running at between 5.3 and 5.5... I hope when I do D3 (tomorrow or Friday, we'll see what I feel like), I can bump the run up a bit higher. :)

Annita
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM
w2d2 completed
I wasn't feeling well (only 3 hours of sleep) but i completed it.
The weather was extremely hot and humid.
:)

AnonymouslyYours
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Did w7d2 today! My mp3 player decided to quit playing music with 7 minutes left to run, and those 7 minutes were pure torture, but I finished. Wow I did not realize how much faster music made the time go.

josey
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I know what you mean! I had a little hiccup yesterday with my iphone app. It started W1D1 (tsk!) and I didn't really check before I started. After one minute it told me to walk and I had to restart the program (not the running :-)) and it threw me off for the first 5 minutes at least.
No music though is really tough. Good job on finishing!!!

Btw what are you listening to?

Scarlett
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Running without music is so tough. Great job with sucking it up and finishing your run.

Today I tried W5D3 again. I tried to run 2 miles in 20 min. I ended up running 1.5 miles in 15 min. I'm happy because I got my pace up. Now I'm solidly on D3, which is an improvement.

I slept poorly and went out before I was ready due to scattered thunderstorms. The humid weather soaked my clothes. Conditions weren't idea but I still did ok.

MidnightRaven
07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
W1D3 done!

PacSunMama
07-08-2011, 05:18 AM
I have done W1 days 1 and 2 already, but I think I need to repeat the week next week! I walked through one of the runs on day one and two of them on day two! Still finished it and felt pretty good, but I'd like to be able to run all of the runs before I move onto week 2.

Has anyone experimented with doing more than 3 days per week? I'd really like to work up to running at least 5 days per week, do you think it's as effective if I'm doing the same workout for the whole week?

I can't wait to finish this program and really be able to run for 30 minutes!!

Annita
07-08-2011, 05:36 AM
edit:

I ran today anyways :D couldn't resist the sound of nature rofl *j/k* so W2D3 completed.
anyways, it's a special day today because in the last round, i missed the start sound so i walked extra 90 seconds AND 2 minutes. So I walked total of 5 min 30 sec. Therefore I decided to see if myself improve any by running another round without the walk. And oh my gosh I can actually run 1km non-stop now without feeling like i'm dying while running. My speed was about 6 minutes for 1km, so i think it's not so bad either. I'm so happy. The first day when I started the program, I couldn't bring myself to run longer than 60 seconds, but now i can actually run 6 minutes. It just felt great.

On the topic I asked again, should I run tomorrow or take a day off? 3 days in a row might be a bad idea, no?
I'm planning to run 4 times per week now, the running schedule might be mess up if i don't run tomorrow (planing to run on Mon, Wed, Thurs and Sat). And this week, counting today as well, only 3 times yet. And i should run 1 more time before moving to week 3. I'm worry if I run on Sunday, and then move to week 3 right after that on Monday, I might feel real tired so I want a rest day before moving up.
What do you guys think?

RowanM
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
W1D2 down... seemed easier today.

~fingers crossed~

MidnightRaven
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
W2D1 today.

I've done 4 days in a row, and so far it's been feeling GOOD. I'm sure I'll start spacing them out (and repeating them), likely after this week. But - and I never thought I'd say this - I've been super eager to get on the treadmill and go!

BarnyardPunch
07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Has anyone experimented with doing more than 3 days per week? I'd really like to work up to running at least 5 days per week, do you think it's as effective if I'm doing the same workout for the whole week?

I tried to do the program through as an every other day thing, so some weeks were naturally 4x a week. I did two days in a row if I was feeling it, but only a few times. My goal is 4 - 5x a week too, but while I'm no personal trainer, I'd strongly caution against really pricking up the frequency until you're feeling solid in the final weeks.

The program may seem slow to progress, but you really, really don't want a running related injury.

I'm done with the scripted program, but still cannot run a 5k without some walking. At this point, I think it's mental, not physical.

So now I'll do longer, slow jogs for distance and then on the "off" days, just run a mile or so straight through with speed intervals and then do something else like yoga or elliptical.

Hope that's helpful!

josey
07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I did 5 a week for a while. (I actually should get back to it!) What I did is while e.g. doing W4 I was doing W1 or W2 on my rest days. I wouldn't run 5 days of the week I am in. I think that is too much but going back one or two weeks should be ok.
Just make sure you stop if something (shins?) starts hurting. I had that too and had to rest a whole week after pushing it too hard.

Scarlett
07-08-2011, 05:17 PM
OMG I woke up today and my stomach was KILLING me. It felt so sore I could barely move. It felt like menstrual cramps that wouldn't go away. My whole stomach ached. UGH. I took some ibuprofen and it feels a little better but I'm out of commission for at least today.

The first time I did W5D3 I woke up crazy sore and needed to take a few days off. Then I tried it again, ran 20 min really slowly (but only covered 1.65 miles) and had no soreness. Yesterday I tried to run 2 miles in 20 min but actually ran 1.5 miles in 15 min and then this.

I've really had very little pain and soreness throughout this whole program. I guess the longer distances just punish me. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon and it won't make me sore anymore.

Annita
07-09-2011, 01:23 AM
my abs is killing me as well.
I feel very tight and sore. Probably the result from yesterday 1km nonstop.
Hopefully I feel better so I can do the running in this afternoon.

PacSunMama
07-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Barnyard and josey thanks so much for the advice. I like the idea of filling in the extra days with workouts from early weeks. Two of my girlfriends have joined me in this running program and weight loss efforts and I really think we are going to have a lot of fun in the process. I may have to enforce a "no laughing during run segments" or it's just a matter of time before one of us goes flying off the treadmill!!

We are going to repeat week 1 next week or part of it, to really get a good handle on the first week of the program. They also want to go to the gym 4 days instead of 3 days which is totally good for me!!

Annita
07-09-2011, 07:48 AM
W2D4 completed.
I felt tired...
Tomorrow is rest day, I feel good to have it. >.>

MidnightRaven
07-09-2011, 02:17 PM
W2D2 done. Felt great! Only 2.2 mi...

AnonymouslyYours
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Week 7 day 3 is finished. Week 7 is done. On to the 28 minute run! woo!

PacSunMama
07-10-2011, 05:26 AM
W1D3 completed again (will be repeating the whole first week next week too to really get a good handle on it!!) felt awesome!

I'm so excited to be running again.

MidnightRaven
07-10-2011, 04:42 PM
W2D3 done. A bit scared of moving on to week 3...

IsabellaOlivia
07-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Did W3D2 on Friday.

josey
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
W8D1 DONE! Woohoo. 28 minutes running and I could have done 30 easily. I just have to make sure I pace myself :-)

MidnightRaven: I was scared before every single week. Believe me you can do it! The program is really well designed, if they say you are ready, you are! I never thought I can do the next day or week but I did. Try it! If you absolutely can't finish, fine. You tried it at least! Just repeat the day.

MidnightRaven
07-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Had some extra energy, so thought I'd go back today and do W3D1 (even though I did W2D3 this morning).

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! I think running is a whole lot more mental than I realized.

Instead of doing the 5min cooldown, which I thought was silly because this one ends with a 3min walk already, I decided to see how much of the 5min I could job. I was able to do the whole 5 min! I did a bit of extra walking to cooldown after that, but I felt GREAT knowing that I was able to do that!

RowanM
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
W2D1 down, not too bad.

:D

Annita
07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
W3D1 completed.
felt great. I thought it finished way sooner than the last 2 previous weeks.
I'll run another 90 sec at the end of the last 3 minutes walking session before moving to 5 minutes cool down walk.
Or else I had to walk 8 minutes like today and I totally didnt like it at all.
And I'll move up my speed a little on the next running day. I was worried I might not last 3 minutes so I ran quite slow today.

Other than that, it was a great workout. I just couldn't wait till the day after tmr to run :D