Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Default Anxious - What if I gain it back?

Good Morning Everyone....

I have been doing IP for 5 weeks (yesterday was my 5 week weigh in). I'm doing very well, 29 lbs and over 23 inches lost. I have to admit that I'm terrified that this is to easy and coming off so fast that I will gain it back.

I have this inner conversation every once in a while. I know my habits have changed with this diet and I know I won't go back to what I was doing to my body. I feel so good and not sluggish anymore. I've put measures in place (not diet related), ie my TOPS group will be my weekly weigh in after the fact (I weigh twice a week, once with my coach and once at TOPS). I have friends that I've asked to be brutal with me if they notice me making the wrong choices when I'm in maintenance (she will and I will love her for it).

However it's my biggest fear. Is there anyone on Phase 4 that is on this forum that would offer some words of encouragement?

Carla
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #2  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

I could be in phase 4 but suffered from the same fears plus I was wondering if I had lost enough. Phase 2 you are still in ketosis, phase 3 you are eatting a huge breakfast, its wonderful but it sure plays tricks on your mind. As I was about to phase off I got even more scared so I decided that I want to get to a lower weight so I had more "wiggle room". Just for my own self esteem and to help compensate for the glycogen and water weight. Not sure if that helps, but if you look at other threads you will find that almost everyone on this program feels the same way. You will also find that when people are sticking to the phase 4 protocol they are doing great. It's when we give into our cravings to often and have multiple cheat days that people see the scale creeping up. I plan on giving myself a bit of wiggle room if I go over what I consider my max I will button down and go back to phase 1 or 2 until I am where I need to be. Best of luck, we have shown that we have the will power not to give into our cravings, social situations and society.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

I have the same fears...today is WI number 19. I am still on phase 2, but ready for phase 3. I am at my goal weight right now, but I think I will try to go down a few more pounds so I have some of the beloved wiggle room. I am finding it difficult to eat normal food without feeling guilty.
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

Yes! Hi! I'm in Phase 4! I did Phase 4 from April 2010 until April 2011. I gained a little, but it was due to Cymbalta which I was only on for 3 months but the gain all happened then! My original goal was 138, on IP from Jan 2010- April 2010 I got down to 133 and then 131 once I went to Phase 4. This time I figured I should go down to 133.

Anyway, here I am, I consider myself a success! Look, I gained one pound. Weight goes up and down a little bit, but in Phase 4 you have the tools and knowledge you need to manage your weight. The weight comes off fast in IP but it's not exactly "easy" is it? You didn't do something passive like have the stomach stapling surgery, you are actively losing weight. You are trying to lose it! It's a pretty extreme diet, but it works. Now that I'm back in Phase 4, I know that I need to pay attention to what I'm eating, and the Phase 4 sheet isn't exactly what I need to do. I don't eat wheat anymore at all (other than on the cheat day) and my weight has been steady. I also don't tend to eat carbs at dinner. I find I don't need them and if I do, I gain. But everyone's bodies are different. You may be able to follow the phase 4 sheet exactly. My bf does and he maintains just fine.

The whole thing is a learning process and also a learning curve of how to take good care of your body. Not your friend's body or your husband's body, yours. Take good care of yourself and actively monitor your weight (step on the scale, take measurements, have your friend help as you have already enlisted her to do) and you will be fine. It's not magic and if you don't put effort into it, you will gain weight back. But you've worked so hard to get to where you are, by the time you get to Phase 4, you'll be more than ready to put effort in to maintain. IP works!

Keep up the good work. 5 weeks and 29 pounds is amazing!!
CinnamonSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #5  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I want to put your fears to rest. I went on Phase 1 of Ideal Protein in March of 2010. It took me 17 weeks to lose 45 lbs and 30 inches and I began Maintenance in June of last year. I am now approaching my 1 yr anniversary and I am still wearing all the same clothes and within the 3 lbs of my goal weight (it fluctuates)

I know it is scary to start "eating" again, but the maintenance protocol they have laid out truly works if you follow it. I would eat like they told me for Monday-Friday, on Saturday I would eat whatever I wanted (cheat day) and the next morning would weigh sometimes 5 lbs more than the day before. Sunday was the day I went to Phase 1 to flush all the carbs out of my system and Mondays would weigh exactly what my maintenance weight was.

I'm not going to say that I didn't have too many cheat days sometimes, but when I did, I would do Phase 1 or up my protein to balance it out. I gained a few lbs around the holidays, but immediately went on Phase 1 on New Years and it was off in 1 week.

I think that is the key. We now have the knowledge of how to eat and keep this weight off. I again got lazy a few weeks ago and noticed the clothes getting tighter and so I have been on Phase 1 for over a week and am down 8 lbs with all my clothes back to normal. Ignorance is not bliss, keep weighing. I don't weigh everyday, but I weigh at least once a week and I wear my favorite jeans once a week. If they are getting tight, I better straighten up.

Take it from me......You can keep this weight off for life!!!

Last edited by carlasherea; 05-26-2011 at 01:19 PM.
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the great advice girls!!
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

You need to be really honest with yourself. Set a number you will no go above and if you get there go back and do phase one for a week or two-then phase 3 for a few days and then back to phase 4. I did not phase off properly and noticed myself gaining weight but kept making excuses about why I couldn't go back to phase one quite yet (christmas, new years, trip to England [that got postponed to three months later and I still figured I could wait until after]) I found myself back at my starting weight and am finallyyy getting this done (again.)
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Your input was exactly what I was looking for....picking a number that I won't go over is something I hadn't considered (could be only because I have a lot of work to do before I consider that), but I will definitely do that.

I have a few months on this diet so I don't want to ever have to go through this again! 7-8 months of pain is nothing in the grand scheme of my life.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I'm VERY glad to have found this site!!

Someone has a mantra on their signature "if you don't look after your body, where will you live?" - this is my new mantra.

Thanks ladies!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #9  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
I want to put your fears to rest. I went on Phase 1 of Ideal Protein in March of 2010. It took me 17 weeks to lose 45 lbs and 30 inches and I began Maintenance in June of last year. I am now approaching my 1 yr anniversary and I am still wearing all the same clothes and within the 3 lbs of my goal weight (it fluctuates)

I know it is scary to start "eating" again, but the maintenance protocol they have laid out truly works if you follow it. I would eat like they told me for Monday-Friday, on Saturday I would eat whatever I wanted (cheat day) and the next morning would weigh sometimes 5 lbs more than the day before. Sunday was the day I went to Phase 1 to flush all the carbs out of my system and Mondays would weigh exactly what my maintenance weight was.

I'm not going to say that I didn't have too many cheat days sometimes, but when I did, I would do Phase 1 or up my protein to balance it out. I gained a few lbs around the holidays, but immediately went on Phase 1 on New Years and it was off in 1 week.

I think that is the key. We now have the knowledge of how to eat and keep this weight off. I again got lazy a few weeks ago and noticed the clothes getting tighter and so I have been on Phase 1 for over a week and am down 8 lbs with all my clothes back to normal. Ignorance is not bliss, keep weighing. I don't weigh everyday, but I weigh at least once a week and I wear my favorite jeans once a week. If they are getting tight, I better straighten up.

Take it from me......You can keep this weight off for life!!!
What an awesome post -- I like your "I'm the boss of me" approach. It is all about having guidelines and good foods in the fridge...red wine lowers my conviction so I'm careful with it. Live and learn!
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #10  
Started IP May11/11

S/C/G: 165.9/143.9/135/sz4

Height: 5'3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Good Morning Everyone....

I have been doing IP for 5 weeks (yesterday was my 5 week weigh in). I'm doing very well, 29 lbs and over 23 inches lost. I have to admit that I'm terrified that this is to easy and coming off so fast that I will gain it back.

I have this inner conversation every once in a while. I know my habits have changed with this diet and I know I won't go back to what I was doing to my body. I feel so good and not sluggish anymore. I've put measures in place (not diet related), ie my TOPS group will be my weekly weigh in after the fact (I weigh twice a week, once with my coach and once at TOPS). I have friends that I've asked to be brutal with me if they notice me making the wrong choices when I'm in maintenance (she will and I will love her for it).

However it's my biggest fear. Is there anyone on Phase 4 that is on this forum that would offer some words of encouragement?

Carla
I am extremely glad that you asked this question, and received the advice you did! It really puts a lot of fears to rest!
jorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

I was doing a very healthy, no white-carbs diet before I started this (Jan-Apr) and lost 20 pounds, but lost very slowly... When I deviated in May, I realized there was no way that I would meet my October goals unless I really took charge and made a huge change! I would say, I was ready. I had already proven to myself that I can eat healthy and not feel deprived.

I think it's great to set a reasonable goal, and once you meet it, don't let yourself get above a certain weight. I know that's how I will do it!!

Good luck and we'll talk again soon
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote