Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Pity Party for 1 - Clothing woes

I guess I can blame it on the TOM which is coming any minute now, but I am feeling sorry for myself
My son's first communion is this Saturday and I have been hunting high low both in my closet and the stores for something decent to wear. No sleeveless in church (not that I would wear them anyway) and I like long (mid calf). Trying on outfits has made me realize that I have changed from a ball to a rectangle. I used to be 40 pounds heavier and a size 18 and accepted that I looked poffy and fat. Now that I am a size 14 with a big waist I have no definition. From the front you can draw a line from my arm pit to my hips and it would be straight as an arrow. Sigh.
Finding nothing appropriate at the store, I have resigned myself to taking in a dress I wore to a baptism when I was 220 and hope for the best. I like the length, coverage and the guazy material of this dress but with it's empire waist I am just a big rectangle, lol. Well, at least I should look MUCH thinner in the dress this time around
Thanks for listening.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #2  
Happy Member

You'll look fine. Your son's First Communion is a very special occasion for everyone concerned. So take in that dress, remember that you lost a lot of weight, and enjoy the day.

By the way, I am build square, too. So I do sympathize.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #3  

CONGRATULATIONS on being so much thinner! That is such a wonderful thing. Maybe you can do a side by side photo comparison and see how far you have come.

I too am not blessed to be curvy.
Monique
MoniqueDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Oh ladies, curvy is not what it is cracked up to be! Especially if you are a pear shaped curvy and everything that fits you in the hips is gappy in the waist!

I’m not a rectangle but let me throw this out there. Have you thought about wearing one of those body shapers? Not necessarily a corset but something that is loser on the top and bottom but fits tightly around the middle? Would that help you feel more comfortable in your clothes? I have found quite a few cute wrap-around dresses that tie at the waist in JC Penny’s and Kohl’s.

But I am sure you are going to look divine in whatever you wear now that you took off so much weight!! (WTG on that!)
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Ya know... I was just thinking the other day about the clothes I have (I shop at places like Kohl's, JC Penny and Target) and they really just aren't MADE for me. KWIM? I am tall and overweight. I fit in to 16's. But sometimes they are long in the crotch - I don't have an apron - I want my pants small in that area with the hopes that they might hold in the bit of sag I do have there. So then I get the lower-rise pants so they sit better... but then it is like they are snug on the thighs, which causes them to slide down. And forget about finding clothes long enough.

I am just rambling. I consider myself "shapely" and even so, it is still a to find clothes that fit nice.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171.5/167/130

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on your 40 lb. weight loss!! I'm sure your outfit is going to look great, and you're smart to choose something that you know will be comfortable (both physically and mentally). So make a few alterations and just enjoy the day! (And to echo another poster, being curvy isn't that great when you're trying to get clothes that fit WELL.)

Nancy
bookwmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #7  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

you'll look great! dont worry your son is just happy to have his mommy! how wonderful to be able to say- "oh shoot i got to take this in!" Its a joyous thing so enjoy it as your taking it ALL in! :Hug:
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote