100 lb. Club - Figuring out a goal weight

View Full Version : Figuring out a goal weight

April Snow
05-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to 3FC, although not new to weight loss - but hopefully this time I will be new to SUCCESS!! I lost over 40 lbs a couple of years ago, but put back about 35 of it. :( I think, I lost where I had kept track of all these numbers! But at least I turned things around before I started to earn that "weight loss interest" and get back up to my highest weight and beyond!

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a reasonable goal weight. The lowest weight I can ever remember as an adult was in the 2-teens and that was decades ago. I know I want to go beyond that, but how much? I'm curious how others decided their goals and what factors they used?

Thanks!

Engraved
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
my goal weight is the top weight into the normal BMI category. But that is just a number. Getting closer to goal i ll re-evaluate how i feel in my body, and i ll go from there.

Arctic Mama
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, it is common to use the BMI tables to pick a weight, or a number you remember seeing/that just sounds better. I kind if did both. For me, 160 was my lowest adult weight and I looked great - still a little overweight, but strong and healthy and sexy. So I made that my first real goal as I know I can attain it, even ten years and three kids away from where I was when I last weighed it. But the BMI puts me at 145 as the upper limit for a normal weight, so I made that my 'would be nice, assess as I get closer' weight. Not binding, but something I may try to shoot for and see if I can achieve/maintain it.

That's what I did, anyway :)

beerab
05-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I chose 135 because in high school I was 150 and was happy with my weight- I was slightly thick but I think 135 would be good for me. When I get closer I may re-adjust my goal.

ubergirl
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I chose 175 because when I set up a goal graph on fitday and plugged in two pounds a week, It was going to take me fourteen months to get to goal, and I couldn't bear the thought of any more than that.

I would start with a number that feels attainable, maybe your lowest adult weight, or 199 or something like that, and then as you get closer you can make adjustments as needed.

I haven't made it to my goal yet and it has been more than 14 months, but I'm still trying.

Sandi
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I chose 168 because it's an even 200 lb loss. I remember weight 165 and feeling pretty good. I think I should be able to attain 145 or so but I think the "skin" is going to prevent me from seeing those kind of numbers.

Beck
05-25-2011, 02:24 PM
168 is the highest ideal weight for my height according to the BMI charts; I'd like to be less than that, so I'm aiming for 150 (my weight in high school. Can you believe the school nurse called me overweight then?!!). Ideally, I'd also like to drop to 146 which would be half of my highest weight of 292, but I'm not going to make myself crazy to accomplish that.

OhMyDogs
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I picked 155 because I remember in high school, when I was thin and active, I weighed between 150-160, so that's my goal for now. However, I will readjust if needed when I get closer. Ideally I am actually aiming for a size 8.

Trazey34
05-25-2011, 02:37 PM
I always set the bar really low so I'd have built-in success LOL I hate seeing someone lose 150 pounds but be 5 pounds above their 'ideal' and they consider themselves a failure!!!

220 was the lowest I could remember as an adult, so I thought that would be fine. I stayed there for months, and then realized I could do a bit more, so i kept at it but always set a goal that wasn't too outlandish -- I like to set myself up to succeed!!

FlipFlop Love
05-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I picked in the smack middle of the normal BMI range. To be honest, as long as I'm healthy, the number doesn't matter.

JamiSue3916
05-25-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree a lot with what most folks said here. Keep the "healthy" BMI weight range in mind with a larger focus on where you'll feel healthier. I weighed 155 in HighSchool and always thought I was fat! LOL. At my age, I can't imagine being 155 again, but 175 sounded nice. Some womanly curves but maybe a weight I'll feel healthy at too.

Laffalot
05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
:) Hi Everyone - April, I go to WW & they set a goal of 135 for me which I felt was way too low & unattainable. I checked with my dr. (her suggestion) & she & I agreed on 150. I believe that is more realistic for me. Maybe check with your dr. You will love 3FC - so much support. Everyone here knows exactly what it is like to lose unwanted pounds & have great ideas to help too! Everyone have a great day, eh? :wave:

TooManyDimples
05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I have the same reasoning as everyone else. BMI. I really don't know if I'll make it there. The last time I was 150 was the pre-teen years. I might get to a number above that and find out I'm happy. I might get to 150 and decide to keep going. I have no clue so it's just a goal to shoot for for now. =)

April Snow
05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks everyone for the input. The weight to put me at the max for BMI is 159, which I guess sounds possible but really, I have never even been close to that as an adult.

I am leaning towards just doing a series of smaller goal weights and keep moving the target as needed. I totally get what Trazey says about losing a lot of weight but not being happy if it doesn't meet some target that is so far away right now, I don't know whether it would be realistic or not!

I'm going to continue to think about it - until I qualify to have a ticker! lol!

butterflymama
05-26-2011, 12:53 AM
For me I had my goal set for the highest BMI weight in the healthy category for my height 150. However since I have been tracking my weight for the last 7 weeks and been pretty good at staying on plan and exercising I have lost an average of 1.6 lbs a week so I just plugged that into my fit day with my goal date of my birthday next year and it gave me the weight of 166.25 so I am going with 166 now and will adjust when I hit 166 :) If I need to. Saying that I have never weighed 166 in adulthood.

Ky30
05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
For me I picked 135 because that was the highest weight in the normal ranges for my height intil I went to the doctors and he told me those ranges dont take into account frame size, and age he said I should weight around 150-160 so I changed my goal weight to 150 and will reevaluate when I get there.

caryesings
05-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I wanted to lose 100 lbs and then see what I could really get to without making myself crazy. I figured my body would pick my goal weight when it stopped losing at calorie and activity level I was able to maintain without fighting myself all the time.

Interestingly, the 100 lbs. lost mark seems to coincide with as low as my body is interested in going on its own. I've been maintaining this weight for 6 months now. I'm adding weight training to my exercise and with warmer weather here (90s here this week), I'm automatically eating lighter so may be able to move a bit lower. However I'm not willing to "diet" down my weight. Throughout this process I've eaten in a way I can always eat.

1oftheLuvs
05-27-2011, 12:02 AM
thanks everyone for the input. The weight to put me at the max for BMI is 159, which I guess sounds possible but really, I have never even been close to that as an adult.

I am leaning towards just doing a series of smaller goal weights and keep moving the target as needed. I totally get what Trazey says about losing a lot of weight but not being happy if it doesn't meet some target that is so far away right now, I don't know whether it would be realistic or not!

I'm going to continue to think about it - until I qualify to have a ticker! lol!

Our stats are so similar...

I initially set my goal weight for 160, because I weighed about 165 when I met my husband 15 years ago and felt pretty good at that weight, but felt I could have used a few more pounds gone.

After a little while I realized that 159 would put me in the healthy BMI category, and I really would like to be there, so I lowered my goal by 1 pound. I felt kinda silly doing it, but that 1 pound actually meant something to me.

I think setting smaller goals to begin with is a great way to go. You can take all the time you want deciding on a goal, and just because you pick a number, doesn't mean it's set in stone. There are a lot of us that have readjusted our numbers as time goes by...

ubergirl
05-27-2011, 12:36 AM
So many of us 5'7" to 5'8" on this thread. I also used to weigh 150-160 in high school, but now driving down past the high 180s seemed impossible. Not sure why. I'm still hoping.

charliee
05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
I chose my goal by figuring out what I weighed last when my weight didn't really matter to me. I was fairly active and healthy, could shop without obsessing about the fit and my weight didn't shadow every other decision I made in my life.

That said, I am looking to be healthy and happy and still be able to enjoy life (and by that I mean occasionally have a giant slice of chocolate cake or a second beer in the backyard), so if that means I can only get down to 150 I think I'll be okay with that.

When I feel good about the way I look and the way I feel, whatever that weight is will be fine with me. :)

April Snow
05-27-2011, 01:20 AM
I've been overweight since I was young so I don't have a reference point of "this number was when I looked/felt great" to go by, which I think is why an end point feels so mysterious to me.

I've been thinking it over some more, and playing around with numbers, and I think I am going to set an initial goal of 26 lbs - a 10% loss, and then continue to adjust my goal each time I hit another 10%. Those numbers would end up being

155 - maybe!!!

supergir111
05-27-2011, 03:51 AM
I chose my goal weight based on what several other women my height look like at their weights. I've always wanted to look lean/athletic so my goal is a lower side of healthy body fat %

April Snow
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
thanks again to everyone for the input on this thread.

I've decided to go ahead with using the 10% goals and I'll figure out just how low is realistic once I am closer to that point.

I'm following the Dukan diet, and interestingly, that calculator puts my goal at 180 - not because it's necessarily the healthiest weight I could possibly be, but the way they calcuate it, it's the most realistically sustainable. But I am pretty sure I will got for at least the 172 (losing 10% four times) even if I end up not deciding to go much lower. Then again, even 180 seems unfathomable right now, so I'm going to just focus on getting to 235 for no!

FlipFlop Love
05-29-2011, 01:46 PM
You can always have a "bigger picture" goal while focusing on your mini goals until it gets closer to that time. My big goal is 118. I will hit that at some point, but that could (and arguably will) be a long way away. So, I'm focused more on mini goals.

I have a total of 11 mini goals that have no more than a 15 lb difference. They are based on a combination of BMI and total pounds down. I think the average is roughly 11-12 lbs to the next goal, with some only being as low as 6 lbs. These mini goals will feel much more attainable to me and keep me motivated and moving. :)

April Snow
05-29-2011, 07:52 PM
FlipFlop -

I agree with the idea of having mini-goals along the way. I'm doing a challenge right now that goes through the end of July and I'll try to do other shorter term things to keep getting positive reinforcement as I work on the bigger goals.

ubergirl
05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
April-- I think your approach is really smart!!!

Also, am curious about where the Dukan diet got 180 for you?

Am curious because I keep shooting for the 160s but seem to stall out at about 185.

April Snow
05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Ubergirl -

you can go here http://www.dukandiet.com/ and then click on "Calculate your True Weight"

It will ask you to register and provide an email address but I have not received a single email from them since I did that a few weeks ago. FWIW, based on your height and highest weight, if you pretended your highest weight was your current weight, I can pretty much guarantee that your current goal weight is going to be below where it puts your True Weight.

It takes things like your highest weight ever, how many diets you've been on and more into consideration. And in the book, he explains a little more and that it's not always realistic for someone with a history of being overweight to get down to weights that are healthy (per BMI, etc) but are going to be too hard to maintain.

the other thing that I find REALLY appealing about this diet is that there is a lengthy plan to get transitioned from active weight loss through getting your body used to the new weight and then finally into maintenance. And the time frame for your body to get used to it (while following what is still a fairly strict plan) is almost twice as long as the weight loss period. That sounds scary but since I've realized that maintenance is the hardest part for me, I am willing to put in that time if the end result is a stable, healthy weight.

LesliesMom
05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
I went for a "free consult" at a Physicians Weight Loss center. I knew I didn't want to go on one of their plans, but they have a machine that can calculate how much certain things weigh in your body. Like pounds that are water weight, bone weight, muscle weight, etc. It said an ideal weight for my height and frame would be 190. I was thrilled and motivated, I found it discouraging to see an online calculator tell me if I was any more than 160 I was still overweight.

190 just seems very attainable - I will see how I feel when I get there which should be in early fall.

Angie

sevencallmemom
05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Dukan says my true weight is 195.55. I was hoping for less, but I'd be happy to weigh under 200. Hmmm...

LisaP916
05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
It placed me at 183.78. I can understand the sustainability factor. I'm still aiming for 175. :-)

Laureedee
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
How are you guys entering as your height in that Dukan thing? I tried entering mine but it keeps giving me an error.

I just picked a number in the middle of the healthy range by the BMI but I'm going to look at how I feel around 160 and see where I want to go from there.

carter
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't have a goal weight. I'll know when I get there - either because I'll be pleased with my body, or because the work required for further changes will be more than I'm willing or able to give.

I think people worry too much about what their goal weight should be. It's good to have goals, but for people who are significantly overweight and have been for much of their adult lives, it's often too hard to guess what the right goal weight will be.

My own approach has been to set goals based upon behaviors, and let the numbers take care of themselves.

sevencallmemom
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't have a goal weight. I'll know when I get there - either because I'll be pleased with my body, or because the work required for further changes will be more than I'm willing or able to give.

I think people worry too much about what their goal weight should be. It's good to have goals, but for people who are significantly overweight and have been for much of their adult lives, it's often too hard to guess what the right goal weight will be.

My own approach has been to set goals based upon behaviors, and let the numbers take care of themselves.

That really is a good point. I've been overweight since I was 12 and have never gotten below 203 in my adult life. I really don't know what an attainable, reasonable goal is for my body.

April Snow
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
That really is a good point. I've been overweight since I was 12 and have never gotten below 203 in my adult life. I really don't know what an attainable, reasonable goal is for my body.

I'm in the same situation, which is why I asked the question in the first place. And I don't know what my ultimate goal is going to be because there is that "I'll know it when I get there" factor involved. So for me, breaking it into shorter goals that I can focus on gets me down the path until I get to the point of being able to decide on a realistic final goal.

I ended up going with 10% current body weight for my interim goals. One nice thing about that is I get rewarded each time because the amount of weight loss required to meet the goal gets smaller as I get smaller! lol!

April Snow
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
How are you guys entering as your height in that Dukan thing? I tried entering mine but it keeps giving me an error.

I have 5 in the first box where it asks for height (it's a long box) and then 7 in the second box.

Laureedee
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I have 5 in the first box where it asks for height (it's a long box) and then 7 in the second box.

Ah, there would be the problem. It only gives me one box. Oh well.