Biggest Loser Challenges - Red Team 2011 BL Summer Meltdown Challenge Get To Know Your Team Thread

shan84
05-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Dear Red Team Members,

To those of you who are returning welcome back! To those brand new to the challenge welcome! This is going to be a great summer adventure for all of us as we continue/begin our weight loss journeys together. As team leader, I am simply the “number cruncher” each week. I am the same as you. I struggle with my weight loss. I have good days and bad days. We all live busy lives and have many things going on. My hope for this summer challenge is that as a team we can come to this thread weekly seeking encouragement, support, and understanding from people who are experiencing similar things. We do not all lose weight the same way. What works for one, might not work for another. But this thread is a great tool to see what other people are doing and what’s working for them.

These first few days between May 25th-May 29th is so that we can get to know our team members. On May 29th I will post the official threads for the first week.

Sincerely,
Shannon

Important Challenge Information:
Please read this thread for important information: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-challenges/187620-biggest-loser-challenges-faq.html

Each week on Sunday evenings, I will post the weekly chat thread, nutrition journal, and last chance workout journal. It is up to you which you would like to participate in. However, please note, in order to be eligible for weekly biggest loser and overall biggest loser you do have to participate at least once in the weekly chat threads.

Please copy and paste to the weigh in thread your weigh journal. You will come back to it each week to post your weekly weigh in. You DO NOT have to post your weigh in on Sundays, simply by Sundays at 10pm AST time (google it ). Example: If Sarah weighs in on Wednesdays at her Weight Watcher meetings, then she can post her weekly weigh in on Wednesdays each week. Then when the team leader calculates on Sunday she will have already entered in her weekly weigh in. You only get 2 freebies for the whole challenge so use them wisely if you must. If you don’t weigh in by 10pm AST, then as team leader I will allocate a freebie to you. If you use two of your freebies and then miss another weigh in you will be changed to an unofficial member and you can continue tracking your progress but your totals won’t count towards the official team numbers.

Week 1 Weigh-in (6/5):
Week 2 Weigh-in (6/12):
Week 3 Weigh-in (6/19):
Week 4 Weigh-in (6/26):
Week 5 Weigh-in (7/3):
Week 6 Weigh-in (7/10):
Week 7 Weigh-in (7/17):
Week 8 Weigh-in (7/24):
Week 9 Weigh-in (7/31):
Week 10 Weigh-in (8/7):
Week 11 Weigh-in (8/14):
Week 12 Weigh-in (8/21):
Week 13 Weigh-in (8/28):

bethbeth
05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Good morning RED team! :wave: Today is a beautiful day to Meltdown! :cp: We're gonna rock this challenge! :dancer:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

peanutt
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Summer meltdown - I like it! Hopefully there's a whole lot of melting going on in here!

This is my second BL challenge and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone again. Since the last challenge, I've cracked into onederland, upped my running and strength training and signed up for a few races. I'm a calorie counter and I eat a mostly whole foods diet because I love food and by eating like this I get to enjoy more of it!

Good luck everyone!

Shay
05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I participated consistently a few years back. I did eventually stop because as a binger the focus on the weighing and weight was too much for me. I'm in a better place now.

Summer is a great time to lose weight. It is my busiest time of year at work and I need focus. Last night was our first training of the season and my staff said "you're shrinking". I told them this was only the beginning.

peanutt
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I participated consistently a few years back. I did eventually stop because as a binger the focus on the weighing and weight was too much for me. I'm in a better place now.

Summer is a great time to lose weight. It is my busiest time of year at work and I need focus. Last night was our first training of the season and my staff said "you're shrinking". I told them this was only the beginning.

Great answer! There's one man at work that keeps saying "Whoa, you keep getting smaller!" to which I reply "That's the whole idea...."

This is my busiest time of year at work too. The upside is that I'm up and walking almost all day long, but the downside is the stress level being higher and having less time to focus on my food and meals.

boatgirl16
05-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't really know where to post this since where the teams have been announced is closed....but I signed up to be joined to a team (at 9:37 before the deadline was) and I wasn't put on a team :(

I was really looking forward to this......

djs06
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Good morning folks! Looking forward to getting to know all of you! I'm pumped for this challenge- trying to kick up my efforts a few notches!

K3LL3Y
05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello Red Team!

I'm really looking forward to this challenge and getting to chat with everyone on here. We are going to be fat melting machines! :)

OhMyDogs
05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
HELLO RED TEAM!!!

I am stoked to be participating!! I have been trying to run a wee bit (just about 100 steps at a time, then walk until I can breath again, then another 100 steps), but realize that once my kids are out of school, this will be a lot harder. Some backyard activities that I plan for us to be doing often this summer are badminton, soccer and we're planning on getting a trampoline. I am hoping I am not too heavy for it!

I am HOPING to make it into the 230's while doing this challenge, but we will see! I am also a calorie counter (between 1600-1800 calories a day), and aspire to do a triathlon next summer.

HMM3
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Red Team ...

Its winter down here .... but hopefully I'll keep warm enought to melt :D

Looking forward to getting to know you all ...

I'm hoping for a bit a kickstart to finish the secod half of my weightloss..

lostangel05
05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Hello Red Team!

Excited to be joining you all!

LongTallBee
05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Hello Red Team! This is my first Biggest Loser Challenge and I'm so excited! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. Good luck!

Dog Rescue Mama
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi everybody, I've never done this before and new still to the list so I'm assuming we are trying to loose as much weight as possible and the team that looses the most wins? I'm excited to get started!!! I've been on target for 6 weeks now without a single cheat so I hope to help pull my part!

erin9598
05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone. This will be my first challenge and I am really excited about it. The added effect of being accountable not just to myself, but also to my team will just motivate me even more than I already am. I had started running, but my knees are not happy so I have been icing and resting for a few days. I think I need to decide on a different type of exercise until they are a little stronger.
Good luck to all of you!

ggmugsy
05-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi Everybody!

Hey SHAY!!! I remember you from a few years ago! Good to see you!

I'm 45. I'm married to a great guy. (My 2nd husband.) We have a large, blended family. I have two sons of my own and a niece I adopted. My husband has four children; two girls and two boys. My husband is older than I am by 11 years so most of his kids were grown and on their own before we were married.

In early 2007, after some very difficult personal issues, I left my high-pressure job and began a "Happiness Journey." My journey included getting in touch with the inner me, discovering what brings me joy, and becoming more healthy - which resulted in losing weight. It was during this time that I was involved in several BL challenges on this site.

I lost about 50 pounds, was happy and energetic, so I went back to college in January of 2009 to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a nurse. I started putting on about 5 pounds every semester. To date, I am up 20 pounds from where I was and I want it OFF!

That's why I'm here. I used my Wii Fit for a while this morning and then did an hour and forty minute hike with my sister. My strategy is to workout like a BL contestant as often as I can and eat healthy! I've also given up alcohol - which is hard for me because wine is something I absolutely adore.

I look forward to reading everybody's stories!

shan84
05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Beth-Love your enthusiasm! It is going to be a great summer meltdown!

peanut- :cheer: :cheer: Welcome back for another challenge! Congrats on breaking into onderland! GO YOU!!!

Shay- Welcome back to the challenges! You said this is a busy time of year for work, mind if I ask what you do? I hope we are all shrinking this summer!

boatgirl16- HUGE oversight on my part. My apologies! Your on the red team though! WOOHOO! Welcome :carrot: :carrot:

djs06- Welcome to the challenge! :celebrate:

K3LL3Y- Welcome to the challenge too! :celebrate: I hope we have some major meltage this summer (myself included!).

OhMyDogs- First off, congrats on naming the challenge! :celebrate: :congrat: I'm a fellow calorie counter as well. Your summer activities for you and the kids sound great. Good luck on reaching your goal of the 230s. You can do it! :cheer: :cheer:

HMM3- It's winter for you....bummer. But you can pretend and be in a summer state of mind with all of us. :) Where are you from? Good luck on the challenge.

lostangel05- Welcome to the challenge! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

LongTallBee- Looking forward to getting to know you too. How old are you? Where are you from? What diet plan are you following? Good luck in the challenge! :carrot:

Dog Resue Mama- Welcome to the challenge. I love newbies! Yes, each week the team leader will total the teams percentage and weight loss numbers. This will determine a biggest loser and honorable mentions each week for each team, as well as an overall biggest loser of the week and the winning team of the week. There are no eliminations unless you use both of your 2 freebies and then miss another weigh in. Good luck on the challenge. 6 weeks on plan is totally impressive!! :celebrate:

erin9598- Welcome to your first challenge!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Accountability is so important. In my own weight loss journey I have faced many struggles, but coming here and being accountable helps me stay on track. As Peanutt pointed out in another thread, "Lose, Gain, or Maintain we are in this together". We are all human!

ggmugsy- I love your story you shared. A "Happiness Journey" sounds like something we could all benefit from a little bit in our lives. I'm with you on living like a BL contestant. I'll be doing it from August 2011-May 2012. Welcome back to the challenge!

Rainbowsmiles- Where are you?

shan84
05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
A little background on me-

I started my weight loss journey with this BL challenge about 4 challenges ago. I have been a leader for the past 3 of those challenges. In 2010 I lost 127lbs. I have since put some of it back on. I am not proud of that and it makes its a daily struggle to stay committed to my plan. However, I know once I reach my goal I will be a healthier and happier me. I've from the states but I have been a teacher in South Korea for the past three years. I have a wonderful amazing boyfriend who is currently doing a 1 year around the world travel adventure. I will be finishing my current contract in Korea in 6 weeks and I will be returning to the states. August 2011-May 2012 I will be staying with my sister in Denver to do nothing but commit myself completely to my weight loss journey. I have worked tirelessly to save enough money so I don't have to work too much while I'm there. I also plan on having some world travel fun with my boyfriend in July in the states, as well as in December/January as we travel in Europe. Well, thats my story so far, but I'm still writing it......

celrae
05-26-2011, 01:07 AM
A little background on me-

I started my weight loss journey with this BL challenge about 4 challenges ago. I have been a leader for the past 3 of those challenges. In 2010 I lost 127lbs. I have since put some of it back on. I am not proud of that and it makes its a daily struggle to stay committed to my plan. However, I know once I reach my goal I will be a healthier and happier me. I've from the states but I have been a teacher in South Korea for the past three years. I have a wonderful amazing boyfriend who is currently doing a 1 year around the world travel adventure. I will be finishing my current contract in Korea in 6 weeks and I will be returning to the states. August 2011-May 2012 I will be staying with my sister in Denver to do nothing but commit myself completely to my weight loss journey. I have worked tirelessly to save enough money so I don't have to work too much while I'm there. I also plan on having some world travel fun with my boyfriend in July in the states, as well as in December/January as we travel in Europe. Well, thats my story so far, but I'm still writing it......

I LOVE that you and the rest of the team are excited about LIFE.:D I am so happy to be on the RED team and plan on working very hard.
Cheers

SMSDREAMER2007
05-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Hey all. I am cassie, I know a few of you from our boot camp challenge and can't wait to get to know the rest of you! I am 21 and currently weigh 276 pounds I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007 and suffered from bursting cysts on my varies until about 6 mos ago when I said enough was enough, pulled myself out of my depression and cracked down. I slipped up a big and hit it hardcore in late February. I am down about 30 lbs since then. I love the biggest loser even tho I rarely get to watch it, I barely missed the last challenge. It had just closed when I found it and waited a long time for this one to begin. I can't wait to get started and for the red team to win it! woot woot! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

kneed2lose
05-26-2011, 03:17 AM
Hello All you Beautiful People!!!!

I am so excited to start this challenge with all of you! I had started a challenge a while back but didnt finish and I was an unofficial member last challenge. But this time...im in it until the end!! ( hopefully!!)

A little bit about me....

I am 26, I have been overweight most of my life. It got really bad in college when i gained the "freshman 15"..which in my case was the "freshman 25". After that I headed to med school where I didnt have time for anything but studying, I also my met my boyfriend there....and with all that i gained another 30 lbs. After finishing my first two years, i moved back home to study for my boards...and moving back home was a hard adjustment, I went into depression and gained more weight there. And here i am now, trying to recover, get myself back together and be as strong as I can be while studying for my boards which are in 3 weeks!!

Good Luck to everyone here!!

HMM3
05-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome Shan .... I'm in New Zealand ... and I'd love to get in a summer mindset ... although it is hard with the ole frosty mornings .... but the plan is by our summer I'm truely all melted!!!:carrot:

I'm a teacher too ..... and I have three girls 9, 5, and 3 ....... I live in a small town in the North island of our beautiful country ....

Kneedtolose ... sounds like you have a lot on your plate ... take it easy ..... good luck .... lets hope we can do it together ...

GO RED !!!!!

ggmugsy
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Good morning everybody! :)

Peanutt - Congratulations on your success the last challenge and in losing into onderland! We're almost neighbors! I live in N. Idaho.

Shan 84 - Cool background info! Great job saving $ so you can focus on YOU for a while. It helped me a lot a few years ago and it's already working for me again this summer. Your break in Colorado will be a priceless time in your life! :) Awesome you get to spend it with your sister.

HMM3 - One of my goals in the future is to be a traveling nurse in Australia and in New Zealand! I set up operations in NZ, Aus, and Tazmania for my last company but I haven't been there. I can hardly wait to visit.

SMSDreamer - Good for you not letting the PCOS keep you down. I've seen how a positive (or negative) attitude can affect people will chronic illness and a positive outlook is priceless. Keep your chin up. I wish you huge success this challenge.

kneed2lose - We have a lot in common! It's shocking to me how many women studying health care completely let themselves go during school. One girl in my class gained 20 pounds the first semester. I'm bound and determined to regain healthy habits prior to the start of school in mid-August. Good luck studying for your boards and with your future career!

Hope everybody has a healthy, and energetic day!

bethbeth
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Hello RED team! :cheer:

What are doing to get some exercise today?

Today I did 80 pushups and 120 situps (as part of the 100 pushups and 200 situps challenges), and then did the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD.

What is your plan today? Share with us!

kris2008
05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey everyone!! How about the BL finale this week! Olivia and Hannah look great! They worked really hard!

I'm a calorie counter and I go to WW also. Exercise is treadmill, elliptical, yoga, dog walking, weights.

Dog Rescue Mama - We are about the same weight with the same goals and both do dog rescue! I'll be checking in with you to see how we're doing! Your 100% for 6 weeks is an inspiration!

rainbowsmiles
05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
:hug:Hey everyone!! How about the BL finale this week! Olivia and Hannah look great! They worked really hard!

hi kris....i so agree...they both looked amazing and never seemed to have lost one minute of focus the entire time!! what an inspiration!! they always seemed to have such a good positive attitude and they just kept on pushing through every week!!! i so need that!! :o LOL
hows your progress going? hugs susan

boatgirl16
05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone!!!
I am super excited to be here and a part of this! It's my first challenge and I just joined this site- so the accountable and support arrived just in time!
Can't wait to get to know each of you better! We can do this!!!! :)

Shay
05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Great answer! There's one man at work that keeps saying "Whoa, you keep getting smaller!" to which I reply "That's the whole idea...."

This is my busiest time of year at work too. The upside is that I'm up and walking almost all day long, but the downside is the stress level being higher and having less time to focus on my food and meals.
Thanks :D!I live in my car this time of year. If I don't plan it begins a huge downward cycle.

Hey SHAY!!! I remember you from a few years ago! Good to see you!
:hug: It's great to see you too.

Shay- Welcome back to the challenges! You said this is a busy time of year for work, mind if I ask what you do? I hope we are all shrinking this summer!
I'm a Therapeutic Recreation Programmer. I supervise recreation programs for individuals with disabilities. I will be supervising 3 camp programs this summer in addition to inclusion, some adapted classes, and going with my Special Olympics athletes to the state games. I plan on buying a cooler to keep in my car. Let me start looking now because it has got to be cute ;).

Dog Rescue Mama
05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Hey everyone!! How about the BL finale this week! Olivia and Hannah look great! They worked really hard!

I'm a calorie counter and I go to WW also. Exercise is treadmill, elliptical, yoga, dog walking, weights.

Dog Rescue Mama - We are about the same weight with the same goals and both do dog rescue! I'll be checking in with you to see how we're doing! Your 100% for 6 weeks is an inspiration!

i'm at 172.5 this morning so we are super close! I'd love a weight loss buddy! Do you do all breed or breed speccific? We are opening a facility in the next 6 or so months, super excited. Right now we are on 2 1/2 acres and handle about 50 to 60 dogs at a time. We adopt around 30 a month but this month has been killer on us and when the bank for the rescue is empty i buy the food out of pocket annd we go through 100lbs a day or so! I'm so behind in listing dogs that few are even posted right now so not helping things but our volintears have gotten less with gas going up! I swear my daily workout is scooping poop and grooming dogs! We are one of the very few rescues that will take in and rehab agressives so we stay beyond busy! If you wanna know a bit about us you can go to K9Northwest dot com. We made some big headlines out here when we saved the last 30 camp wolfgang dogs in texas, that place was doggy h**L!!!!

shan84
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM
I've really focused on my food this week and I am showing an awesome loss so far. Can't wait for our first weigh in next week. This next week my goal is to add my exercise back in via Wii games, WATP dvds, and outside walking (assuming the rain stays away).

How's everyone else doing this week?

KaeBae
05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi team! I'm 18 and I have a goal of losing between 20-30 this challenge. (Love how it ends right before my birthday. (And if I could get to a size 10 or 8 by the end that would be amazing)

I' going to use the 30 day shred and power 90. :D

Good luck team. :)

ggmugsy
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
My week has been great for exercise, but when I stepped on the scale this morning . . . I wasn't happy. We've been eating dinner late and I've been using too much salt. At this moment, I cannot get my wedding ring off. Eeek.

I'm going to follow Shan84's lead and focus more on healthy food choices this week. Decrease salt and increase water intake.

LongTallBee
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Okay, a little about me... I'm 27, and currently living in Toronto, Canada. (But I'm originally from Utah.) I'm calorie counting for the most part, trying to eat less unprocessed food, and staying away from any food in a box, generally. And I'm doing lots of walking and exercise videos from The Firm.

I'm actually going back to Utah next week for a month, so I'm nervous that it's going to disrupt the plan that I've been on. Staying with other people always makes it difficult for me to eat healthy, especially when the people I'm staying with, like to eat out and eat junk. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep motivated and not succumb to the candy my niece and nephew wave around in my face!

Kilikila
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to the challenge.

I live in Hawai‘i, I am a teacher, and this was my last day of work for the summer! I started the South Beach diet almost 2 weeks ago and am really loving it (although I did cheat a little today because carbs don't do any damage on the last day of school!).

I used to run and do yoga religiously, I am not too sure why i stopped, but i do know that after i stopped running I gained almost 30 pounds, and am now determined to lose that weight!

Now that I am on vacation I plan to start exercising again. I am going to start running again, but slowly using the Couch to 5k running plan. I am also planing on doing some yoga and 30 day shred on non running days.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and help the red team win this challenge!

Bette k
05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi Red Team,
I wasn't able to finish the challenge last time, but intend to work hard and make up for it this time. I'm married ( 30 years this summer) with 2 children, a DS who is 21 and a DDwho will be 10 in a few weeks. I've had PCOS (treated) and thyroid problems(untreated) for most of my life, as my dr told me about my weight I didn't stand a chance. Now everything is in reasonable working order I do have a chance of losing weight.
I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, I do tend to talk a lot about my garden and the 100+ year old house I'm living in and fixing up. I'm moving everything out of the living room to get started on fixing the plaster and painting.
I hope everyone has a great week.
BetteK

bethbeth
05-28-2011, 09:37 AM
It's Saturday! Hooray!

I've been struggling to get my exercise in this week. I've been sick, yuck! Between being sick and getting up so freaking early with my baby, it's been hard. I'm hoping to kick this sickness soon! I am for getting off the couch and doing my pushups and situps and a workout DVD today. Sorry baby, momma's gotta get moving!

CourtneyDaisey
05-28-2011, 12:00 PM
HELLO RED TEAM!!!!!

I'm Courtney and am a returning Red Team member. I participated in the last challenge but let the MANY stresses of life get me down and I ended up pretty much disappearing for the last half of it. I need to keep myself motivated and I want so much to reach my goal of 135 sometime sooner rather than later! After all, the older I get the tougher losing weight becomes. Finances are really rough right now and I've got a LOT on my plate right now. I don't have time to concentrate on myself because I am too busy dealing with stuff for everyone else. I am hoping that I can force myself to take time for me during this challenge and make it happen. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone!

Rated
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey everyone

I am kind of a returning Red team member I participated in about half of the last challenge but I ended up losing motivation. It will be different this time since I have a summer vacation I would love to lose weight for. Also right now I am not in school and barely working (only a few hours available) so I figure now is the perfect time to start since I have a lot of free time. Good luck to everyone :)

ggmugsy
05-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Good morning everybody!

Nice to see so many new people posting. :) GFS, Kilikila, CourtneyD, & Rated!

Bettek - I remember you from a few years ago! Good to see you here.

LongTallBee - I like the FIRM videos, too. I did Rock the Wave this morning. It makes me feel rather klutzy and off-balance, but I like it.

Looks like there are a lot of teachers and/or students that have put on weight during school. It's hard to balance studying, life, and taking care of yourself. I am hoping to get healthy habits this summer so I can maintain a steady weight during my last year of nursing school. We can all keep each other motivated.

shan84
05-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Courtney- Welcome back for another challenge!

Hello to everyone else!!

I will post the first official threads by Sunday evening.

Everything is great here diet wise. A great loss for this week. Hope to add to it for next week. On the homefront- back in the states, my dads in the hospital. We don't know the exact nature but it looks like he might need surgery. i'll keep everyone posted. I'm doing my best not to emotionally eat. It's hard not having someone here to talk to...with the bf traveling right now thru China, communication has been spotty.

Anyways, hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

shan84
05-29-2011, 02:50 AM
An interesting read: http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2010/08/11/what-i-eataround-the-world-in-80-diets/

What I Eat: Around the World in 80 diets.