Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #1  

Default Secret No More!

So I have fessed up and told the most important people at least that bariatric surgery is a very real possibility and that I'm taking steps in that direction.

First I told my therapist. I figure if I told ANYONE it should probably be her, don't you think? Turns out that she's got two other clients/patients who have gone through it in the last year, so it sounds like she's pretty familiar with the issues that this may entail. This is very encouraging for me, and I'm glad I decided to start therapy before I even started the physical medicine part of this.

I told the one person at work who has gone through the surgery. I'm sure that she'll respect my wishes, and she's very happy for me. She's thrilled that I'm doing the (mandatory) physician monitored weight loss first and I think she'll be a good source of daytime support.

I kind of slipped it into the conversation with my mom and my brother's BFF (the BFF is like a little sister to me) and neither of them seemed to bat an eyelash. I don't think they took it seriously, which is probably for the best right now.

Finally I told my husband. I hadn't even planned on it, but I have an appointment with the bariatric nurse in the morning, and told him that it was because I'm doing physician monitored weight loss (which is true) and he asked if I was still considering the weight loss surgery. I couldn't very well lie, so I said yes. And we had a very good conversation. He asked about the cost, and how far I'd checked into the insurance aspect of it. We talked about the risks of surgery (which he's always been really cautious about) and the fact that surgery isn't a FOR SURE thing yet, but it's the general plan at the moment. It was a very good, very positive conversation. I'm feeling pretty darn optimistic right now.
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

wow!!! that's HUGE!!!! and it sounds like everything went better than you expected. remember - first and foremost - this is YOUR choice, and YOUR decision. you get today's BRAVERY award!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #3  

Yes yes! I'm pretty pleased. Thanks for the award, Jifflove!
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote