WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #1  

Default Calculation Question - please help

if a serving of something is 3 points, how do i calculate what the points would be if i deep fry it?
anawhatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Easy. DON'T DEEP FRY IT.

Seriously. I am the first to say I'm not on a diet, that I'm changing my lifestyle. Deep fried anything doesn't belong in a healthy lifestyle. :-(
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #3  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

When I saw the title to this post, I had to respond--but LisaP beat me to it.

I totally feel you on the love of a fried goodie every once in a while. Even Alton Brown, notorious fat-hater that he tragically wound up becoming, acknowledges that deep-frying stuff sure makes it tasty. But even a well-fried item picks up enough oil to add quite a few calories to it. You're way, way, WAY better off with any of half a dozen other treatments that also make food tasty (my personal favorites are roasting and pan-searing).

If you can come up with another way to treat the food, I'd look for that. If you absolutely positively must eat a deep-fried thing, weigh the cool oil before cooking, then weigh it after cooking once it cools down sufficiently. The difference is the amount that the food absorbed. Divide that by the number of pieces of food cooked and use the points for that amount of oil.

I'm not anti-fried-food, but it's something to have very rarely. Unless you've got a pressing need to fry--your oven, microwave, and stove are all on the fritz and the only thing in which to cook a meal is your Fry Daddy, for instance--try some other techniques that add fewer calories/points to your plate.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote