Exercise! - Workout while getting over a cold

View Full Version : Workout while getting over a cold

maplemag
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey all,
I'm new here, so sorry if this is something that someone else has posted already.
I am just getting over a gnarly cold and I'm not fully over the cold. I still have a lot of congestion and general yuckiness.
I am going stir crazy at home and all this reserved energy I have from not exercising is making me nutty!
I would love to go do a cardio heavy Richard Simmons workout or a Core Fusion class tonight but we'll see how it goes!
I'm wondering all of your thoughts on working out while healing from a cold.

AshleyLaurent
05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I personally don't workout shortly after recovering from a cold. I just don't have any energy. But if your worried about negating the effects of wellbeing, I would definitely ease back into working out instead of picking up where you left off.

fitness4life
05-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't work out when I know I'm sick...but, if I've been sick "long enough" sometimes it seems to help get it all out with a good even keel run. It seems like breathing heavy gets rid of the lingering goo.

TerraIncognita
05-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Since you're no longer contagious, I say go for it. From what I understand, exercise can boost your immune system, and if it's something as simple as a cold, I highly doubt anything harmful could come from it (unless you are prone to asthma or the like).

swandive81
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I once heard a piece of advice that I tend to stick to... Symptoms from the neck up (stuffy nose, scratchy throat, dry cough), okay to work out; symptoms from the neck down (chest cough, upset stomach, etc.), better off skipping it. Seems to make sense...

maplemag
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I am feeling much better today, so I exercised... The workout slightly kicked my behind but I feel fine now. I'm glad I worked out, too many days off makes me nutty!