Weight Loss Support - Scale inconsistencies

View Full Version : Scale inconsistencies

iamerican
05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has a problem with their scale. I can step on it and it reads one number and then 2 min later it is a 1-3 pounds different. Any tips on making it more consistent? I have a pretty good digital scale.

Thanks!

Beach Patrol
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Water weight.

As an experiment, I weighed 3-4x a day for over two weeks, just to get the low-down on the water weight. And I still do it, just to see what it is.

For instance, I am now down to 169.
This morning, I weighed 171.8 (had a LOT of sodium in my dinner last night)
and after breakfast, I was 172.6 - we're talking a matter of 45 minutes here. You literally CANNOT gain that much "weight" in that amount of time. It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound.

It's water weight, and it fluctuates all during the day, every single day. Don't sweat it! ;) :D

FTR, I weigh 1st thing in the morning, after I wake up, after I pee - & I weigh completely naked (who wants to know how much their clothes weigh? I don't!) - that is the number I use as my "true weight", even tho I weigh several times a day to see what water weight is gained/lost.

iamerican
05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
What about within minutes. Does that just mean my scale isnt the best. I will step off and step right back on and get a different number.

Beach Patrol
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
What about within minutes. Does that just mean my scale isnt the best. I will step off and step right back on and get a different number.

In that case, maybe you do have a crappy scale - OR - maybe the floor is not quite level? I'd try another scale. Just for funzies. :carrot:

zoodoo613
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Try changing the batteries, or beach patrols floor idea. Try moving it a little bit. Also, you can try seeing if there's a pattern. I know if I lean one way I'll be a little higher than if I lean the other. But that's a pretty small variation, not the 3 lbs you're talking about.

TooManyDimples
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I would make sure you're standing in the same spot. I can move my toes a little and get a different number.

It's pretty annoying so I've learned when I weighin to just go with the first number and then stay off. Especially since if I step on again the number is usually higher. =P

Regera Dowdy
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I've learned when I weighin to just go with the first number and then stay off. Especially since if I step on again the number is usually higher. =P

Lol, that's a good plan. :goodscale