Exercise! - What speed do you get up to on the treadmill?

GlamourGirl827
05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
I started in January, doing 5.0 on the treadmill, for like 1 minute! Now I can run a mile, comfortably at 5.5, and I will run up to 6.5 on the treadmill, which I can hold for several minutes, then I will slow down to 5.5 or sometimes 3.7 to walk. Then I'll sprint again.

Then other day I saw a girl running on the treadmill, and she looked like she had a good speed, a nice run. I was hoping she was at 6.5. Because it kind of gave me an idea of where I'm at, since I can't see myself on the treadmill.

I snuck a peek, and she was running at 7.5! Omg, I'm a fraid to go that fast on the treadmill because I'm afraid I'll fall! Something about the ground moving that fast under my feet that worries me!

So how fast do you all run on the treadmill? Just wondering.

beerab
05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Well gosh you are putting me to shame. I "run" at a 4.5 but mind you I SUCK at running :p I think the highest I've ever gone is about a 5.0.

doubtingJulia
05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I've gone 6.0 in the past for intervals, now I'm like 4.6 for a few minutes at a time.

4.6 sounds much better than 4.5 don't you think?

mandy1974
05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
i usually do a brisk walk on the treadmill a 3.5 or 3.7 on a good day. :) i always seem off balance and i'm a little afraid to try and run. lol. i don't wanna imagine that scenario. plus my knees bother me. lately i've been using the eliptical alot too for 30-40 minutes. :)

fitness4life
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I do the first mile at 6.5, 2nd at 8 with a burst of 8.5 halfway through, 3rd mile at 7.5 and walk a half mile after that.

The running trainer at my gym runs faster and for longer.

We are in the training business and have been doing this for decades. While there is room for improvement where you are, in no way should you pressure yourself to go faster than you are ready to just yet.

You'll know when to increase your speed when you get the point of barely breathing heavy at that current speed, or when your speed bores you, or when you no longer feel like you're going to fall of the treadmill!

Keep up the great work and never let the ability of someone else get you down.

asweetchicagogirl1
05-24-2011, 10:22 AM
This is interesting, I had a similar question. I can't really run but I walk very fast at 4.5 on the treadmill at an incline and I sweat buckets because my legs have to cover more distance at a "walk".

Iianae
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
My brisk walk speed is about 3.7.

I do intervals (Run/Walk) at 5.0-5.2 Run; 3.3 Walk with a final minute at 6.0 run but that's really hard.

However, I remember when 3.3 was hard so I am happy and impressed with my progress so far
You'll know when to increase your speed when you get the point of barely breathing heavy at that current speed, or when your speed bores you, or when you no longer feel like you're going to fall of the treadmill!

This is so true...I just "knew" when to change, I could feel it...every single time.

Baiser
05-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I've just started trying to get back on the treadmill myself. I alternate between 3.0 for one lap and 5.0 for the next until I reach 7 laps. On the 8th I up it to 6.0 while screaming in my head that I can finish lol. Ideally, I want to be able to consistantly go @ 6.0 within the next 6 months. Sounds like everyone is doing great, though--we all gotta start somewhere!

djs06
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
I only do 3.5 but I do intervals to the max incline. I *hate* running... even when I was on the track team in high school, it wasn't my favorite exercise.

MIMI 193
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
are you guys all doing these speeds in miles per hour or kilometers per hour ? I'm from blighty and not sure what you work in :0)

aimeebell
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I run 2.25 to 4 miles on the treadmill at 5.0, for the last quarter mile I kick it up to 6.0. Since it is nicer out now, I have been running outside. I run faster outside, but it seems slower and easier on my heart and lungs. My best pace for a 3 mile run was an average of 9:28 minutes per mile, but usually it is about 10 to 10:30.

GlamourGirl827
05-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I do the first mile at 6.5, 2nd at 8 with a burst of 8.5 halfway through, 3rd mile at 7.5 and walk a half mile after that.

The running trainer at my gym runs faster and for longer.

We are in the training business and have been doing this for decades. While there is room for improvement where you are, in no way should you pressure yourself to go faster than you are ready to just yet.

Keep up the great work and never let the ability of someone else get you down.

Good point! There was a time when 6.0 seemed scarey! And now I'm ok with it.

I do 3 miles all together in about 40 minutes. This includes walking for a few minutes in the beginning to warm up and walking for a few minutes at the end to cool down. I'd like to do a 5K next month. Unfortunately I can not get outside to run. I have 2 kids, and no jogging stroller! I already pay a gym membership with childcare. M husband will watch the kids for me to run the race, but not to train outside. I know the treadmill is easier than outside, at least for me it is. So I'm expecting to have a slower time when I actually run a 5K.

KLarson
05-31-2011, 11:06 PM
I think only YOU can tell if you're going at the right pace. Everyone has a different stride and you shouldn't compare yourself to someone else. I have shorter legs and don't have a long stride so I can't be expected to be able to keep up with someone who has much longer legs. Also some people just have stronger legs than others. Do what you know is the right pace for YOU!

irishlad
06-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I start off at 6.5km/h (4 mph) for approx a minute or two, then up it to 11.5km/h (7.15mph) and vary between the two. Jog as long as I can and then walk briskly to recover, then go again. do this at the moment for 2km - Best time is 13 minutes 42 seconds. I too sometimes feel unstable on the treadmill and move from side to side as I jog, havnt fell off yet. Really just run at whatever you are comfortbale at. We all have different starting fitness levels, and other things come into play too such as medical conditions, muscle, etc. Just start out at a set either distance or time, and every day you do, try beat your best time. This keeps you driven in trying to beat your previous best, and when you beat it, you can up it a speed or level and repeat it. You would be surpised, in approx 8 weeks I have knocked over 2.5 minutes off my 2km time.

MindiV
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I start with a slow walk then work up to walking 4.2 to 4.3. First time I run I'll do 5.5 to 5.9. Second interval set I usually bump up to 6.5 to 7.0, and if I'm feeling really froggy, I've gone as high as 7.5 to 8.0 for a minute at a time.

Serbrider
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Back when I ran regularly on a treadmill (going back to it at college... can't afford a gym membership right now... both financially and time-wise)... I was able to run 7.0 for up to 5 minutes at a time during intervals, walking at 3.5-4.0 during my walking intervals.

I would also mix mine up... when I got tired of running, I would set the incline higher. When my legs got tired of that I would walk faster at 0 incline... then I would run... then so on and so forth. Until I was beat to the floor at the end of the 40 minutes to 1 hour.

rawbanana
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I go way slower on the 'milll then outside. 6mph feels SO hard to me on the 'mill yet this morning on my tempo run, my avg pace was 9:34 and my last mile was run in 8:34! Crazy I know but I can NOT run fast on the 'mill. If I am going to run on it, I keep it at an easy/recovery pace (5.3-5.8)

JessLess
06-05-2011, 05:39 AM
I can run a mile pretty comfortably at 4.5 in about 14 minutes. I go up to 5.5 for a minute at a time to get some faster intervals in.

silverbirch
06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
are you guys all doing these speeds in miles per hour or kilometers per hour ? I'm from blighty and not sure what you work in :0)

mimi - these are mph, apart from irishlad who's coming up on the inside in kph.

Dear Old Blighty. :)

QuillysQuest
06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm really wondering about the treadmill settings. Are they different in the US than they are in metric based countries?

I have been upping my treadmill routines gradually the past few weeks, but I'm not exactly sure where I stand with it, because being American I still have very little grasp on distances and speeds in metrics, even though I can use a converter afterwards.

What I mean is... I started out on the treadmill with no incline walking at a 5 speed, I think it was. (Might have been lower, but I don't remember now) This is a pretty fast walk for me, nearly a jog. I know the distance on the machine is measured in km, so I assumed that a setting of 5 means kph. But, it sounds like a lot of people here are using basically the same settings and you are in the states.

So, I'm wondering if the treadmills in the states use kph rather than mph, or if I'm going slower than average and thinking I'm going fast. LOL

I'm not curious to compare myself to others so much, it's more just to get a better idea of where I'm at physically. The British system to metric system of measurements has me totally thrown! LOL

MariaMaria
06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
But, it sounds like a lot of people here are using basically the same settings and you are in the states.

Just like most of the world's treadmills measure in km per hour and most road runners measure in minutes per km, US treadmills measure in miles per hour and US road runners measure in minutes per mile.

5km (/hr) = 3.1 miles (/hr) = a 12 minute km = a 20 minute mile. That's walking speed.

5m (/hr) = 8 km (/hr) = a 12 minute mile = a 7:30 km. It's much faster than you can walk. It's also faster than most not-already-very-fit beginning female runners can run.

QuillysQuest
06-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Ahhh, Ok! Thanks very much for the information!! I appreciate it :)

mandalinn82
06-08-2011, 02:54 AM
If I'm running at a steady pace, I'm usually around 5.5-6.5mph, depending on the day. I can hold 3-4 miles at that pace. If I'm going longer distance-wise, I have to slow myself a little bit to sustain it.

If I'm running intervals, I do 1 minute at 8.5-9.5mph, then recover at "fast walk" pace of 4.5mph for 2 minutes, then repeat 10 or so times.

irishlad
06-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Yeah 5 km/h (3.1 mph) would be a slowish walk, where as 5 miles an hour (approx 8km/h), would be a slow jog / very fast brisk walk.

runningfromfat
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not very fast on the treadmill compared to running outside, I think I get bored easily. :)

I normally do some sort of intervals so for me jogging is in the 7-8 kph range (4.3-5 mph). If I'm really running that's then somewhere between 9.6-11 kph (6-7 mph). I go really slow on the recovery between intervals and could even go as low as 3.5 kph (just over 2mph) if I'm really pushing myself in the intervals.

The fasted I've ran an entire mile on the treadmill was just over 9 minutes on the road it was 6.5 minutes (but that happened years ago!). However, I've ran 9 min miles just for normal runs without it being nearly as hard as on a treadmill! :dizzy:

TheLindsy
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM
I always have my treadmill at a 1.5 incline, just so my feet aren't SMACKING the treadmill, and its not too hard on my knees. For me, personally, I do a light jog at 4.5 to start. after the first .25miles I walk at that pace, from there I work up to a 5.5 jog. and continue that from there. Some days are better than others though, so I'll slow down to a 5 or 4.5 and jog. But for the last .10mile I speed up to a 7 or an 8. A dead sprint to the finish.

astrophe
06-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm too scared to go that fast on a treadmill. On an elliptical, I've gone up to 6 mph because I feel more secure holding the handholds.

On a treadmill you do not hold anything or else your form is bad. So I just walk on those -- 3 mph. 4 at the max.

But I'm a clod and I've fallen down stairs and broken my ankle. So I'm always thinking "Aaaah! What if I fall?!"

A.

TheLindsy
06-13-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm a huge klutz. I landed on my ankle in a Land class. Soooo embarrassing. Good thing I didn't break anything. I just try and make sure i stay balanced on it or I'll go flying off haha.

irishlad
06-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Finally broke 13 minutes for 2km (1.242 miles) on treadmill, jog and walk to recover, and repeat a few times. Very happy, did it (12 mins 57 seconds) and did some exercise bike and resistance training after this first effort and went back and did it again in a better time (12 mins 45 seconds). Have knocked 57 seconds off previous P.B (13 mins 42 done a few weeks ago), and over 3 and a half minutes off my initial test which was 8-10 weeks ago. Rant over...