Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #1  

Default Stretch marks?

Ah, yes. The 900th billion post on this forum about STRETCH MARKS. I had some before I went on a year-long bingefest and gained 50 pounds. Now I have them all over my tummy . I've heard that Palmer's Coacoa butter (with Vitamin E) is really good for helping to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. I'm not naive enough to think that they'll magically go away, but any other tips for stretch marks (besides moisturizing, drinking plenty of water, etc.)?
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #2  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

My sister's improved so greatly using bio-oil that I'm now giving it a go. I'm about a month in and I wish I had taken starting photos because I can't really tell if there has been a change.

I'll keep going with it though because my sister's literally faded so you can't really see them without being close up, they were quite dark and streaky to begin with, now they blend with her skin colour *fingers crossed*
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

My stretch marks are from pregnancy. My tummy looks like a zebra, but my light at the end of the tunnel is that I use pure shea butter. The smaller I get, the less noticable. I doubt I'll be confident enough to ever where a bikini at the beach with them, but at my own private pool I would be okay with how they look around family, friends etc. It's a slow process, but it's getting the job done.

The bio-oil never heard of it, but seems like it's something worth a try. Palmers tried it during pregnancy and I would have to say it's a no. I've heard good reviews on Celltrixa and Mederma. Have you tried either of those?
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #4  

Stretch marks are similar to scars and like scars, they are permanent. Also, like scars, they fade with time.

That is why creams are touted to "work". It's not the cream that makes the stretch marks fade, it is the time.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Stretch marks are similar to scars and like scars, they are permanent. Also, like scars, they fade with time.

That is why creams are touted to "work". It's not the cream that makes the stretch marks fade, it is the time.
THANK YOU! I am so freaking tired of people touting creams and oils. PEOPLE THEY DON"T WORK!!!! Of course, people think they work, because Voila! They start to fade - that's mother nature and the clock at work, not some magic cream.

Just like creams cannot STOP stretch marks from happening. Stop feeding the industry folks!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #6  
New start 24/10/10

Well maybe they would fade naturally and I am normally sketical about things like this because I am fully aware that stretch marks are scars but my sister had them from puberty until her mid twenties without much natural fading and now they are near invisible when not close up. Maybe the frequent lubricating and massaging of the skin can speed up the appearance of the fading, I'm willing to take that shot
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I want someone to do this (and no one ever seems to do it). Rub it on one half of the belly and not the other and see what happens. Being consistent - one half, the same half and compare. If it works, then great, you can then continue on the other side to prove me wrong.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I love Bio-Oil!! I don't have stretch marks, but I do use it on my face before bedtime. It helps a little with the wrinkles, but mostly, my skin is just SOOOOO soft & supple in the mornings! I just love the way it makes my skin feel!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 05-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #9  
New start 24/10/10

You have to get testemonies from people you trust, otherwise they don't mean much. Most before and afters leave me skeptical, have to see it with ye own eyes
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

There is definitely nothing wrong with lotioning up your skin anyways
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #11  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
There is definitely nothing wrong with lotioning up your skin anyways
agreed.

while i don't think lotions help, i do think you still doing your skin a favor.

and i use tanning lotion on my belly, or i go tanning. it seems to me when i do the pink lines aren't as bad. IMHO.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #12  
is chubby

There is no cure for stretch marks. Unless you cream them up when they are still fresh and red the scar tissue that forms (white stripes) can't be changed.

My solution? I don't tan. So my skin is milk white and they are invisible.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote