General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #1  

Default How to get back into the swing of things?

I've never experienced this before. I don't want to do anything.

Recently I've battled a cold (still lingering). I'm battling over use injuries (darned foot tendonitis still lingering). I didn't get a job I was totally counting on. I'm eating like carp. I don't want to exercise. I don't want to play my sports. I'm sleepy but I can't sleep.

What can I do to jump back into my normally active life?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like you need to think about replenishment. When the usual round of activities & interests holds no appeal to me, I find it's best to jump the tracks & do something I haven't done before, or that I liked but haven't been doing regularly. It means I'm craving a change, something that's not the usual. So this involves me asking myself some hard questions like: "What brings me joy? What did I used to like doing but stopped doing because it cost too much or I didn't have the time or I got involved in something else?"

About two weeks ago, I was also going through a reassessment. For the same reason, practically: I didn't get a promotion I'd been really hoping for. In the aftermath of not getting it, it seemed like all my efforts had been organized around that expectation. And since it hadn't happened, I needed something new to focus on -- a new toy for my mind to play with.

I have regrouped somewhat, and see the outline of a new plan, so I am feeling somewhat better. But till I got some new ideas, I felt sort of like you. At loose ends. Like what was the point of the old routines, because they hadn't gotten me any further along in life? My heart wasn't in it.

At other times like this, in the past, I've taken up horseback riding again, or relearned how to swim, or picked up yoga, or started collecting Breyer model horses, or bought too many clothes on eBay, or taken a cooking class. (Some of these activities are healthier than others, obviously ;-)

Last edited by saef; 05-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #3  

I like your response, saef, but my activities are pretty diverse. I suppose if we could JUST get to some good weather here it would help, then I could paddle and ride like I really want to, but....I'm a little worried. Does this sound like the starts of depression? Even my beloved bf is getting on my nerves, and he's such a joy to be around most of the time.

I will try what you mentioned. I'm already thinking of what? Yoga is new to me and I'm already not looking forward to it this friday, even after it was cancelled last fri.

OMG! I think I know what it is!! It's because of Memorial weekend and not only do I not have my kids but I don't have my bf either. Add to it that I'm supposed to work for him (I usually don't work wkends) coz he's having his buddies up for guys fishing wkend.

That's it! Oh!!!! And...I'm PMSing! YES!!! I'm so excited to identify what has me down more than usual! It's all these things at the same time.

Ah! I feel better already. My period is SO sporadic my entire life and add to it my bc = no "real" periods so I don't have a schedule.

OMG. I was totally freaked out about worrying about depression and it's all going to be just fine.

It would have been just fine anyway, but you KWIM.

I love this site. Just writing stuff down and getting random responses helps in so many ways that journalling just can't do alone.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote