Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Corn on a cob-WW points?

Hi everyone, I just found out on ww online that corn on a cob is 2 plus points. I thought veggies were 0. Can anyone provide some clarification? Thanks in advance.
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not familiar with the newest plan, but I've been in WW under every incarnation since 1972 and in my experience, WW always worked this way, so I'm assuming it still does.

Certain high carb veggies are considered starch foods rather than veggies because nutritionally they have more in common with bread and grains than other low-calorie vegetables. So peas, corn, potatoes, beans (without the shell like lima beans) and sometimes even cooked carrots or beets (at least in certain amounts) have been considered "bread/starches" rather than vegetables.

In exchange plans (which WW was before 1997), most of these veggies are starches (carrots and beets being the exception if eaten in small amounts).

It isn't the botany that decides which class a food belongs, but the nutrients.

I'm not familuar with the new WW plan, but I would also bet that avocados aren't unlimited, even though fruits are (avocados are botanically a fruit, but dietarily they're fat. Because for example, a pear has about 60 to 80 calories, and an avocado of the same size would contain 300 to 400 calories mostly from fat).

A cup of raw, or a half cup of cooked vegetables usually contain around 25 calories. The same amount of corn (about one medium ear of corn), contains about 100 to 150.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Ya the more starchy type of veggies cost points. Corn, potatoes, Avacado, peas etc. I cant remember which others off hand. Those ones i know.

Carrots are free though, they used to cost points, but they are free. Raw and Cooked.

Last edited by mercuryblue; 05-22-2011 at 06:14 PM.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Edamame is one of the veggies with points, but they are low.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

high starch/carb value. its there with peas, potato... carrot is a hit or miss ( i was on a diet once (long time ago) when carrot wasnt allowed more than 3 times a week, and don't even consider corn, peas or potato).
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Yep. There's a list of the Zero Points fruits & veggies vs the ones that will cost you points.

Some things are technically a vegetable, but they're so high in carbs that they can't count them as Zero or we could easily go over our daily allowance of calories. (Potatoes, corn, peas, etc, as already mentioned.)

I can only imagine how many baked potatoes I'd eat if they were "free"!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208.8/196.8/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2010 View Post
Hi everyone, I just found out on ww online that corn on a cob is 2 plus points. I thought veggies were 0. Can anyone provide some clarification? Thanks in advance.
Hi I am doing WW at home but haven't gotten my kit yet, should be getting it in a couple of weeks. I figured corn would count points because of the carb factor.

How do you figure points for corn on the cob? Is it based on weight?
maggieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Yep. There's a list of the Zero Points fruits & veggies vs the ones that will cost you points.

Some things are technically a vegetable, but they're so high in carbs that they can't count them as Zero or we could easily go over our daily allowance of calories. (Potatoes, corn, peas, etc, as already mentioned.)

I can only imagine how many baked potatoes I'd eat if they were "free"!
Hi,

I haven't gotten my kit yet. I am doing this at home based on info. I have gotten online. I can't afford the weekly meetings but did go to one last week to inquire about purchasing the materials which I plan to do in a couple of weeks.

I thought all fruit was zero points. Is it only some fruits? I thought that sounded too good to be true, I love fruit.

Thanks,
Maggie
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieS View Post
Hi,

I haven't gotten my kit yet. I am doing this at home based on info. I have gotten online. I can't afford the weekly meetings but did go to one last week to inquire about purchasing the materials which I plan to do in a couple of weeks.

I thought all fruit was zero points. Is it only some fruits? I thought that sounded too good to be true, I love fruit.

Thanks,
Maggie
Most fruit is zero points. You just have to make sure it's either fresh fruit, or if it's packed in a can that it's packed in water. Anything packed in syrup or with added sugar will always be Points.

It's not too good to be true... BUT... you do still have to follow the good health guidelines. If you're eating fruit to the point of literally stuffing yourself with it, that's not following the plan. Fruit is, after all, zero points following the plan, it's not zero calories.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #10  

You really need to pay for one meeting and that will give you the information. It is actually illegal (copyright infringment) for us to give you this for free.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Thanks. I follow ww online...I thought all veggies except potato were 0...no wonder I've been losing so slowly. I'll be more careful now. Thanks again.
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #12  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Are you (a) a paying member and (b) tracking your food? If you're a paid online member, then the points would come up when you track your food.

I enter everything, even zero point foods.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #13  

No, I am not a paying member. I am going to buy the kit at a meeting in a couple of weeks. Just following as best I can with what I have found online and using a calculator I downloaded on my phone.

I understand about not being able to post the information since WW does charge for this information.

Wish I could go to meetings, just not in the budget right now.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Most fruit is zero points. You just have to make sure it's either fresh fruit, or if it's packed in a can that it's packed in water. Anything packed in syrup or with added sugar will always be Points.

It's not too good to be true... BUT... you do still have to follow the good health guidelines. If you're eating fruit to the point of literally stuffing yourself with it, that's not following the plan. Fruit is, after all, zero points following the plan, it's not zero calories.
Thanks. I understand, I am keeping my servings to 2-3 servings a day. Servings being equal to one whole piece or 1 cup chopped or berries. It is just really nice to be able to add the bulk of fruit to a meal without having to count points.

I did Southbeach for about 6 months. It really taught me how to eat the right foods, but I still struggle with portion control. I think WW will be really good in helping me to learn portion control.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #15  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieS View Post
Servings being equal to one whole piece or 1 cup chopped or berries.
A single serving of fruit is 1/2 a cup, regardless of what kind of fruit it is.

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 05-24-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote