Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy REALLY Could Cry......

So i did a juice cleanse a week or 2 ago because of my CAT Scan and the MD mentioned to that effect. Anywho, I got down to 190 and was thrilled, wasn't hungry and knew i would gain some back after but was stuck at 194 since Sunday and today 196.8 lbs. I want to die I did just get my period yesterday afternoon and HOPING it's water/salt weight. I've eaten out past couple of nights and had some drinks but did track everything and made mostly wise choices in foods. Could it be from my period...please don't tell me i gained 4-6 lbs from food! There's no way And you know how this time of the month makes you emotional anyways....boo hoo!

Plus I'm suppose to weigh in tomorrow and just can't depress myself further, especially going into surgery Monday morning. I need a week off from WW weigh in.

I welcome any and all tips, experiences and encouragement...lol!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #2  

When you think you have gained is the time you most need to go to your meeting and weigh in. Face up to the scale and move on. Weight lost on a juice fast will all come back.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Deep breaths... You know in your head that there's no way you ate SEVENTEEN THOUSAND extra calories. Say that again - SEVENTEEN THOUSAND EXTRA CALORIES. On a 2000 calorie a day diet, you'd only eat fourteen thousand calories in a week, so clearly you didn't eat an extra week's worth of food and then some.

Reread what you wrote. It's your TOM. You didn't eat for a week, which cause an unnatural loss - not a sustainable loss. You've been eating at restaurants, which serve notoriously high sodium meals. You've had alcoholic drinks, which can cause bloat. And you're supremely stressed out about surgery. You shouldn't even be looking at the scale as often as you seem to be right now, because your body does not know what the heck is going on.

If it's going to make you feel better to skip your weigh in, then skip your weigh in. Your body will find it's equilibrium again once you're through your surgery and healing.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/205/155

Height: 5' 2"

I am sort of a lurker in this section of the forum for now until I officially sign up on WW but I just have to say something.

LisaP - I love the way your post sounds. I am not in the same situation as PointsPlusPioneer, but you brought tears to my eyes! I literally wanted to stand up and go YEAH! WOOT! PPP - I hope you read LisaP's post with love, and worry about your surgery this week.

~Kelli
PS: Sending thoughts & Prayers for your surgery!

Last edited by fallonmommy; 05-20-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typos
fallonmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Weight =/= Fat. Weight =/= Fat. Weight =/= Fat.

A week or two of you sticking to plan and that extra weight will be off. As you've mentioned it's likely a lot of water.

The only reason why I suggest not skipping your weigh-in is because it's a slippery slope. Skip this week, and it's easy to not want to weigh-in next and then the next and then the next.

Regardless, we've all had rough weeks. Treat yourself kindly right now. And best wishes for your surgery.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

it (to me) is garunteed salt gain. You said you'd gone out, everywhere salts their food. Everytime i eat out, i get salt bloat for about 2 days after.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

I know exactly how you feel but as everyone else is saying, your gain is most likely due from water retention! Don't be so hard on yourself, keep pushing on because if I can do it, so can you! HUGS =D
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214.6/198.8/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
I know exactly how you feel but as everyone else is saying, your gain is most likely due from water retention! Don't be so hard on yourself, keep pushing on because if I can do it, so can you! HUGS =D
It is great that you are able to come here and discuss your challenges. I know in the past I would go hide in a bag of jelly bellies.. and now I reach for hot water and lemon and my tracker...

you all are inspirational to me. I just found this site today and am loving what I see.

Valerie
dakiniverona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #9  

I agree, come back to tracking, and pamper yourself too ...you are in a stressful moment, and your body needs to find its equilibrium. Its a program, therefore, it's one day at a time, and one bad week, is one bad week...I see our weight loss journey as a training for a marathon...pacing ourselves, one step at a time,one day at a time, one meal at a time...keeping concentrated on the final goal. You are doing wonderfully...and will continue to improve the weight...Be good to yourself.
claudiaMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #10  
ugggg.....

are you down from the weight you were before the cleanse? Thats the thing with cleanse, I am a firm believer in a spring cleanse every year but...anything I lose I dont count cause it usually comes back.

I have been going back and forth about rejoining ww, I counted points, drank my water and didnt lose, but it was around the time my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, I dont care what anyone says, I believe stress can cause weight gain.

you are more than a number on the scale..so go to weigh in and see a difference next week and I will go to a Thursday night meeting and start the new plan..
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

We're taught to diet like this, but listen to what you're saying. You want to die because you're up 6 lbs?

It's no wonder most people abandon their weight loss attempts when it means such a roller coaster of emotions. Every time I ever quit a weight loss attempt in the past, it wasn't because I wasn't losing, it was because I was losing so slow that it seemed like failure, and I'd think "at this rate I'll never be thin (wrong), if I have to work this hard to lose this little, it isn't worth it. I might as well stay fat and at least get to eat what I want (true in a weird way, but only because I made it true). Weight loss hurt so bad (I made it hurt so bad) that being fat was the lesser hurt. Of course I gave up when I made it a choice between being fat and sometimes miserable, or dieting and always miserable.

Don't make yourself miserable. It's not worth it, especially over 6 - 8 lbs of what almost certainly is mostly water retention from TOM and restaurant eating/drinking.

You've got to be able to "ride out" setbacks (even real "fat" gain setbacks, because life is messy and imperfect), and if you can't deal with 6 or 7 lbs of most-likey water weight gain, how are you going to deal with everything else life could throw at you. And how are you going to deal with this potentially every month until menopause.

Frustration is not an inevitable part of weight loss, we choose to make it part of weight loss, because we've been taught to - it's "how everyone does it" (and why almost everyone fails).

Frustration can only happen when you receive results contrary to your expectations. If you never choose frustration, you never have a reason to give up.

Choosing not to choose frustration isn't easy. We're all too conditioned to do it, which is why you have to remind yourself that gaining isn't failure unless you make it permanent by quitting. The best way not to quit, is to be prepared for whatever life may throw at you, which is impossible - but you can prepare for most of what life will throw at you. TOM and restaurant weight gain are at the top of the list, and since avoiding TOM and restaurant eating for the rest of your life isn't feasible, preparing for the possible TEMPORARY effects is within your power. You've got the power, and you can use it.

Hang in there, it's the only key to success that is universal to everyone. Not giving up is the only solution, and whatever you need to do to not give up, you've got to do. Adjusting your expectations feels impossible, but it isn't.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #12  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

For me, when I know I am going to have a botched week, I still weigh in. I accept the fact that there will be a + sign next to the number. I know in my journey, it will be full of ups and downs. If I expect it to all be down, I know I will fail.

I had a really poor week when I began. I lost only .2 and I was really trying. I was so upset. But I blogged about it, gained some perspective and accepted it. I know it's not easy to accept a gain!!!

I will agree with previous posters, it's most likely TOM, eating out, and rebounding from your cleanse. I know salt is the devil in weigh in day!

Good luck on your surgery, and take a deep breath and go weigh in. It will be ok. And LisaP had an excellent point! It's not all fat!!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #13  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

Go to your meeting!!! It will help you get back on track... so you gained, WW is forgiving, follow the program straight away and you will get on track.

I went to a meeting tonight and a new member didnt want to share what she lost cause she said everyone loses there first week. Ummmm I didnt! I joined a couple of weeks before Christmas - in my first week I had 5 end of year functions. I gained 200g, but if I wasnt on the program I could have gained more. The fact that I went to my meeting anyway was my committment to doing something finally about my weight... ok I didnt lose but I learnt more about the program, how to make better choices and I have been successful since. I gain inspiration from others, share recipes, share slip ups and gain support. So did you go?
mumtoliam is offline   Reply With Quote