Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #1  
Recovering Sugar Addict

S/C/G: 218/218/140

Height: 5'0"

Exclamation Is 90minutes of cardio every other day ok?

Hey ladies, I have been doing 90 minutes on the treadmill, going 5.25 miles, and burning 730 calories every other day and taking a less intensive walk with my family on the days off. I am 5'0" tall and currently weigh 190 lbs. And I am trying to lose at least 50lbs by the end of August. When I do the 90 minutes, my hips are killing me the next day to the point I can't work out on the treadmill that day so I do it every other day. Do you think I should be doing 60 minutes everyday burning fewer calories or doing 90 minutes every other day and taking a walk with my family the days I don't workout on the treadmill?
wannabepretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

IMO, you should tone it back. Some muscle soreness is OK, but when you say your hips are killing you, to me that suggests that you might be doing damage.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes less is more... if you injure yourself, you aren't going to be doing ANY exercise. You need to give your body a chance to recover, so I think the every other day is good for running, but sounds like 90 mins is overdoing it for now.

Are you on a food plan/diet/etc as well?
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Perhaps if you want extra cardio you could try doing something else like riding a bike or elliptical. 90 minutes of repetitive movement on the treadmill may be what is hurting your hip.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have a problem with one of my hips (I'm in my mid 20s- it's a deformity, not degenerative) and I would really, really be concerned about hip pain. Hips don't get blood flow to them, they are the deepest joint, and for these reasons are not easily fixed if something goes wrong with them. You can't power through a hip injury like you sometimes can an ankle or knee problem. I'd see a physical therapist or orthopedic surgeon and cut way back on the running until you get some answers as to what's causing hip pain. Pain is an important signal that something is wrong so please listen to your body when it's trying to tell you something. Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Remember there is a difference between cardio (cardiovascular training) and constant walking in an attempt to burn calories which can damage your joints (think repetitive stress over and over).

If you can do 90 minutes, then you aren't really training your heart much, but rather just bothering your joints. I suggest more effort and 1/3 of the time!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I think 90 minutes every other day is good, but it's obviously causing you pain, which is less good! Maybe try 45 minutes 5 days a week? Or even 30 minutes every day.

Pain is bad. Your body is trying to tell you something. Causing yourself pain will most likely equate quitting exercise altogether ...well, it does for me! If I hurt, I stop doing what makes me hurt! Luckily, there are many choices when it comes to exercise. Explore them!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

90 minutes every other day would be too much for me. I never go over 60 if I'm doing a long session, but I usually just do 12-30 minutes of HIIT instead mostly.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm surpprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but... Are you using proper shoes?

I once did a 12-km walk with sneakers that clearly weren't cut for walking/running activities (running shoes are specifically cushioned to absorbs shocks), and my hips were killing me afterwards. So maybe it could be related in your case as well?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
If you can do 90 minutes, then you aren't really training your heart much, but rather just bothering your joints. I suggest more effort and 1/3 of the time!
I agree!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
I'm surpprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but... Are you using proper shoes?

I once did a 12-km walk with sneakers that clearly weren't cut for walking/running activities (running shoes are specifically cushioned to absorbs shocks), and my hips were killing me afterwards. So maybe it could be related in your case as well?
Good Point too!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabepretty View Post
Hey ladies, I have been doing 90 minutes on the treadmill, going 5.25 miles, and burning 730 calories every other day and taking a less intensive walk with my family on the days off. I am 5'0" tall and currently weigh 190 lbs. And I am trying to lose at least 50lbs by the end of August. When I do the 90 minutes, my hips are killing me the next day to the point I can't work out on the treadmill that day so I do it every other day. Do you think I should be doing 60 minutes everyday burning fewer calories or doing 90 minutes every other day and taking a walk with my family the days I don't workout on the treadmill?
Just speaking from personal experience here, 90 minutes is not going to cut it. What will help you loose the weight, and keep you from further joint injury is to scale it back a little. You want to have an intense workout, and get into the target heart rate zone. You can have an affective workout in half the time with different intensity levels. If you're a member at a gym, you can choose different programs. I highly recommend the elliptical machine too because it's less stress on joints. I wrecked my bike when I was younger, my left knee gives me major issues sometimes and the elliptical is so good. I can set it to interval's, or weight-loss or variety and it keeps my heart pumping, and it's different. The treadmill also has those options. But really, scale back time wise, and just push the intensity a little. Also, maybe if you cut back then you can add in a little circuit / weights to get some muscle tone. This will help you out loads. Hope it helps. Take care, and keep your chin up.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

I think you can have an affective workout in half the time. Keep your heart rate up and use exercises that don't hurt your joints - like elliptical, biking or swimming. Walk some but not 90 minutes. I have hip pain if I walk that long, too, so I understand. But be careful - you don't want an injury. Do you warm up at all? That can help, too.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote