100 lb. Club - Committing to ONE WEEK on plan.

View Full Version : Committing to ONE WEEK on plan.

OhMyDogs
05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
OK, so I typed this out, and it dissapeared. I probably hit a wrong button, but if another thread like this, by me, suddenly shows up, now you'll know why.

I have seen other threads like this, committing for a certain amount of time. For a year, for 6 months, for 1 month. For me, it's hard to commit for 1 full month, and if I do, and don't follow through, I don't feel like I need to be accountable to myself.

I am having a rough morning, just a bunch of little things. My husband slept in and saddled me with a bunch of extra work that he should have done last night, one of the dogs has taken to spontaneously barking at 5-5:30 every morning, which then wakes up the puppy, who starts whining, I am exhausted, my scale is being stupid (or maybe it's my weight being stupid), and this morning, I am just sick to death of ALL of this.

SO...I am committing myself for ONE WEEK on plan. I can manage 1 week, even in my current state of "who gives a carp". I can persevere through 1 week, and while I am sure things will seem a lot better in 1 week, even if they don't, well it was just a week (at which point, I will recommit for 1 more week...and so on).

Anyone else up for a short term commitment?

lasttime
05-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I am definitely with you on commiting to one solid week of sticking to plan. I usually last a few days before I give up. So like you I want to hold myself accountable of sticking to plan for one full week. Today is day 2 for me.

OhMyDogs
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I have been on plan well for several days, but I am starting fresh from today because today is the day I feel like giving up.

This is a technique that is used sometimes when quitting smoking. The time frame, for quitting smoking is a lot shorter, often people say "I am going to ignore this craving for 10 minutes, if I still feel I NEED a smoke in 10 minutes, then I will re-evaluate my quitting", typically the craving passes, and people realize they CAN quit. I didn't so much need to use this method when I quit smoking, but I am trying to apply it now, because this weight loss "adventure" seems very tedious and monotonous right now, and I am tired and don't feel like doing it. I will...I will push on for 1 week. In 1 week, I more than likely won't feel so tired and overwhelmed, and things will be good.

ilbnej
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm on board to do one week too. No small deviations. No excuses. Today is day 3. Mon-sun ave daily cal under 1800. No single day over 2000 cal. At least 1500 cal burned with exercise (500 cal done so far).

DixC Chix
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!! I am so with you on this, OhMyDogs. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :carrot:

I have been feeling this way for the last month and have written then aborted the starter thread several times. I thought there was something wrong with me that I couldn't get it together enough to do ONE week. Last week was my first week totally on plan and guess what? I lost 2.5#!! DUH!!

I am doing another week and so far I have two days on plan. It allows me to just focus on the small picture, if you know what I mean.

JamiSue3916
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
What a great idea! Breaking our sometimes long and painful "adventure" into smaller chunks can make a HUGE difference!

OhMyDogs -- I have never really given an honest effort to lose weight before. That was tough to admit. I'd gone on quick diets but last less than one month and really only bounced around about 10 lbs. In my mind, those were never a true effort to begin with.

Seeing how far you've come...losing 30lbs...losing 10% of your body weight. Well, I just hope that I have the strength and sticktoitiveness :) to get there myself. I know most people already know the benefits of losing 10% of your body weight but maybe it's time to remind yourself of all that you've already accomplished? Maybe it's tough to keep going because you've forgotten the MAJOR succes you've had already? Maybe focusing on all that you've done will get you motivated to do more?

Just a reminder (in case you need reminding): http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=41231&sc=3002

ilbnej
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Jami - love the link.

I can do you one better. I have never even tried to lose weight before or even given much thought to what I eat. Totally ridiculous that I got to 300 pound a before admitting to myself I needed to change. Thats just how stubborn I am. But I'm hoping that same stubbornness will be to my advantage. I am not going to stop doing this until I'm done. Good weeks, bad weeks. I truly don't see failure as an option. (yet)

OhMyDogs
05-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I have never ever tried to lose weight before either. Not got a month, not for a week...never. I had also never tried to quit smoking before I did in September. I'm pretty darn stubborn when I want to be, or when I set my mind to something.

I haven't looked at the link yet. I know I have done alright, I am just soooo over counting every little thing that goes into my mouth. For the most part it doesn't bother me, it's just a habit, but today it's a monumental task. Mostly I am having a pity party. I will stay on track, but I am gonna say "woe is me" the whole way (well, for today).

Laffalot
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
:D Hey there everyone - I'm on board with you too! I can "do" one week; it's too overwhelming to look at the long term I'm finding. So count me in! I'll report back next Wed. I have to ask - there is such a place as Apple Cookie ? I love the name! TTYL :wave:

DixC Chix
05-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Hahaha. No there is no "Apple Cookie". My very hard of hearing elderly aunt just could grasp that I was living in Albuquerque. I thought it was cute.

Fit4Lyfe
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
WooHoo!!! I like this week at a time thing, so this is day one, you should make this a regular thing...a week is waaaay better than months OP, lol

DaDirtyBlond
05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
I am a newbie on day 2 of the weeklong challenge. I did great yesterday, but I was HUNGRY by 4:30, HUNGRY after dinner while grocery shopping. I bought a Larabar at the grocery store, and that took the edge off. Blueberries for an evening snack, then early to bed. I was definitely food obsessed. I will do a better job of having an afternoon snack/spreading calories out through the day. On the plus side, when was the last time I have really felt hungry? If I can reacquaint myself with hunger, maybe I can find the correct level of satisfied too.

JamiSue3916
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
On the plus side, when was the last time I have really felt hungry? If I can reacquaint myself with hunger, maybe I can find the correct level of satisfied too.

LOVE what you said here! I think this has been one of the unexpected surprises since I started. I actually feel hungry. My stomach growls now...audibly...so others can hear it. It cracks me up and I love it! I LOVE what it signifies. I eat all day to fule the fire but every now and again I'll get stuck in a meeting and sure enough...if it's "feed me" time...my tummy lets me know! My friend asked if I was embarrassed...and I said "**** no! It makes me happy!" :D

Blondie160
05-19-2011, 11:38 AM
JamiSue, i completley understand where you're coming from, i used to worry that i would never know what hunger was and be able to ride it out because i just used to eat and eat past the point of feeling sick but now i LOVE that i get hungry and i love that i can feel the food satisfying that hunger immediately!

ilbnej
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
DDB - In my first couple weeks at this, I had actual hunger pains - especially as bed time neared. I also, had not felt real hunger in quite some time. I don't get hunger feelings so often now. I think my stomach has shrunk a bit and I'm guessing my blood sugar is evening out. Also, part of it is mental, I no longer expect to eat later in the evening or between meals. Most of the time I'm fine, but I still struggle with unplanned eating after dinner. I usually want to do it if I have plenty of calories for the day and I'm bored. But not because of true hunger. And if I've had a hard workout that day and am having real hunger, I try to grab a handful of cashews, rather than something carby or sweet.

DaDirtyBlond
05-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks ilbneg. Cashews are a great idea for that time of night. I was better yesterday, but I was also busy in the afternoon and evening. I think that makes a lot of difference for me. I don't need anything mid-morning because I am usually out running errands. My bad times are when the kids come home from school and before bed. I need to plan to use calories during those times.

ilbnej
05-20-2011, 09:19 PM
So far so good for me. But the weekends are always the hardest, as I'm out of my routine. Wish me luck.

DixC Chix
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I did okay at Friday graduation party - stayed with in my WWP+ and calories. Yesterday was on plan but odd in terms of a mix and match of food - no set menu just leftovers in odd combinations.

Today is back to a menu set this morning but no planned exercise. Looking forward to an hour on the patio with my book. Today is also the end of the week for being on plan. I have been good with food but I have been getting a little lax with activities.

Tomorrow is weigh-in and the start of another week to try to be on plan.

Laffalot
05-22-2011, 06:46 PM
:) Hi All - I'm still "hanging in there" sometimes by the skin of my teeth but I'm staying pretty close to my points (WW Points+). I'll find out on Tues at the dreaded weigh in. It's hard at times 'cause I just get sick of being on a diet. Thanks goodness I have 3FC to inspire me. TTYL :wave:

April Snow
05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm a few days behind all of you as I just started today, but I'd love to join in to help get through this first week.

I'm following the Dukan Diet and the first 7 days are the Attack phase - very strict, plus the adjustment to low carbing.

ilbnej
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
As part of an attempt to not eat anything else tonight, I'll report on my week on plan. I did 2500 cal of exercise (v. 1500 target). I had an average for the week of 1720 cal per day (v. 1800 target). I had 2 days over 2000 but not by much: 2049 and 2173. I'm gonna call it a win, though I know there is room for improvement. On to week 2 on plan!

DaDirtyBlond
05-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Awesome success ilbnej! I'm so impressed by your tracking the calories and exercise.
I started the week planning to track all calories. I haven't. I have written down everything that I have eaten with calories that I was sure of. I know that I have eaten a whole lot less that I was eating. No binges, no seconds, no large portions.
I am a bit disappointed that I am not down more than 2 pounds in 6 days. I am happy for those 2 measly pounds and I feel much more in control of myself. In the past, I have been able to drop 6+ lbs the first week of WW or any other diet, but I am older now. I know that I can improve by really buckling down and counting calories and by upping the exercise, so that's what I'll have to do.

April Snow
05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I made it through my first day yesterday and am at work today with a bag of on plan food and feeling good about committing to staying on plan today.

ilbnej
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Awesome success ilbnej! I'm so impressed by your tracking the calories and exercise.
I started the week planning to track all calories. I haven't. I have written down everything that I have eaten with calories that I was sure of. I know that I have eaten a whole lot less that I was eating. No binges, no seconds, no large portions.
I am a bit disappointed that I am not down more than 2 pounds in 6 days. I am happy for those 2 measly pounds and I feel much more in control of myself. In the past, I have been able to drop 6+ lbs the first week of WW or any other diet, but I am older now. I know that I can improve by really buckling down and counting calories and by upping the exercise, so that's what I'll have to do.

DDB, it sounds like you are doing very well! I am a weirdo who gets comfort/calm from the accounting/tracking/calculating process. I think because it makes me feel in control. If I do A & B, C will happen. Who knows? A two pound loss in a week is awesome! I was down 1.5 this past week, totally on plan, and that's about what I expected (I'm obviously not on an agressive plan at 1800 cal/day average).

Usually a first week loss is mostly water weight (from switching to less processed/sodium rich foods), which is why it is usually doesn't continue to be replicated in the following weeks. Maybe you had already squeezed out some of your sodium bloat before you started.

In any event, don't loose heart, if you do A (eating a controlled amount of calories) and B (burning extra calories through exercise), C (weightloss) will happen. It might not happen as quick as you would like, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. This is the way I will have to eat for the rest of my life to maintain my ideal weight once I get there.

If I can do this, ANYONE can.

Laffalot
05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
:D Hi Everyone! Well I made it through the week with some success. I lost what I gained the week before + another lb. So I'm a happy camper. So I will commit to another week; hopefully it will be a good one,eh? Hey there DDB girl - you've done awesome-way to go! :cp: A cold rainy :rainy: day again today - still waiting for spring & it's nearly summer (according to the calendar). It'll be a shocker when it does get here. Anyway gotta' go. If I missed anyone my apologies. TTYL. :wave:

ilbnej
05-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Way to go, Laffalot! That is awesome!
I'll be happy to trade you some of the summer we've been having here in Texas for over a month now. So hot and humid already, I'm dreading July and August.

Dumplin
05-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey I want to start today May 25 I love this one week on plan idea. I will drink all my water and watch those calories a little closer !!!!

DaDirtyBlond
05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Great job, laffalot! That's not "some success", that's SUCCESS! You made it through the week, you lost what you had gained, and you lost another pound.

I am down 2.9 for the week. I am happy that I made it through the week. On Monday, I took the kids out to dinner as the husband had a work event. I let them talk me into one of those buffet places. I had a big salad with the local dressing (which was awful) and then I tried to pick only the non-fried foods, no pastas, no mexican bar, etc. There was almost nothing to eat except the salad bar and even that had too much potato salad, etc. Of course, after not eating much, I did find some appealing things on the dessert table. I told the kids that we are never going there again. Even they were trying to pick healthier things and found it hard. No one wants to eat canned green beans swimming in liquid. yuck. I left there hungry and mad at myself for going. It would have been better to spend the money at a regular restaurant and been able to choose better food. If I'm going to blow it, I want to enjoy it! I got home and proceeded to hunt for something to satisfy me so I ended up making a bad situation worse.
But yesterday was a new day, and today, and tomorrow. I can have bad days, I can have bad meals, and I can make better choices the next time I eat.:)

April Snow
05-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Congrats to everyone staying ON PLAN!!

I am finishing up Day 4 - still feeling good and excited to be making this change in my life.

Ally Michelle
05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Ohmydogs, 33 pounds is amazing! You go girl! I cant wait be able to say ive lost that much!

Im with you, I also love the saying one day at a time, so one week seems like a great goal!