General chatter - Eye-liner

View Full Version : Eye-liner

MiZTaCCen
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
What's a good Eye liner that won't smudge the second you put your finger on it or rub off during the day?

TurboMammoth
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Personnaly I use the Perfect Point of Cover Girl. Application is soooo easy! But I have to admit that I sometimes have to refresh it on the long day. ;)

A bit expensive but totally worth it for me! :)

SouthLake
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I use Smashbox jet set cream. (it might also come in a pencil format) It's pricey- at 22 buckaroos, but there is more than enough to last me a year. I put it in with a wide, flat brush. It goes on super quickly, is waterproof and smudgeproof. I have fallen asleep with it on (I know- bad Southlake!) and it looks almost as good as it did the night before. (Minus the mascara smudges, since I have yet to find a mascara as vigorous as my eyeliner)

MiZTaCCen
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
hmm how does it work if you put your finger on it? lol I know with my eye liner the second I touch it, it smudges comes off on my finger and I end up smushing it all over my face. haha

AKBremer7608
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm a little bias, but I use the MK brand and also sell it. Message me if you want me to send samples!

SouthLake
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
hmm how does it work if you put your finger on it? lol I know with my eye liner the second I touch it, it smudges comes off on my finger and I end up smushing it all over my face. haha

The kind I use is smudgable for about 15-30 seconds at most. After that, You need a qtip and some makeup remover to get it off. (though it comes off very easily with remover) I ended up buying it after I tried it in the store. I put a line of it on my hand, let it dry, then rubbed away and nothing. That bad boy stayed put, and I'm now a convert :)

Vanessah
05-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Omg that Mac liquidlast eyeliner is the best, it never wants to come off lol.

JerseyGyrl
05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Milani Liquifeye, its a creamy pencil liner, comparable to Urban Decay 24/7 at about 1/3 the price. This is what I use on my waterline everyday and it does not smudge and is pretty long wearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRY0eRKhR0

jules1216
05-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Estee Lauder

badassey
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I use E.L.F. eye liner. It is a liquid liner which means it is harder to apply and very, very easy to smudge for the first minute or so. But after that, it does the job. I don't rub or touch my eyes frequently so I cannot attest to its' hard core staying abilities. But I wear it most every day and I always have to take eye makeup remover to get it off at night.

Liquid liners are super hard to get used to - it took me at least two weeks to truly get the hang of how to apply it correctly. The great thing about E.L.F. liner is that it is in a marker form rather than a brush. With brushes, the bristles tend to get bent or just and lose their straight and narrow shape over time. The E.L.F. eyeliner's applicator is just like a marker - so it is straight and never bends. It's not really like your standard marker-type eyeliners as it does have liquid liner at the end. I'm just referring to the included applicator. It applies just as heavily as liquid liner with a brush (marker eyeliners suck with application!)

OH and the best part about E.L.F.? Their cosmetics are $1 at Target. Double yay! Their cream blush is great, too. The only cosmetics I actually spend money on are foundation and bronzer. I skimp on the eye shadows (I'm a neutral gal) and mascara (I have tried 75% of the mascaras at Sephora - I see no difference between them and revlon/cover girl/drug store brands). I'm sure you could find something super amazing at sephora but at least for me, $1 eyeliner works just fine!

MiZTaCCen
05-18-2011, 08:58 AM
H4a5r - hmm I don't have a target here, but E.L.F I think my aunt might have bought me some of that makeup for xmas, I'll have to check out the brand when I get home, but if it is that's the eyeliner I'm having issues with lol. As for liquid eye liner yea I think I'd have to practice using that stuff on the week I have off of work (because 5am applying and reapplying make up isn't enough time haha) just to get it right, half the time the pencil stuff I screw up as well lol, one eye will look great and I'll some how screw up the next eye...lol I agree with you I'm very natural mostly as well, eyeliner and mascura are the only two things I wear and sometimes eye shawdow. I like my green eyes to really pop out so I tend to go dark around the edges.

Southlake - I'll def, look for smashbox I'm sure shoppers drug mart has some somewhere at a ridiculous price but if it's worth it, it's worth it. :)

renaec
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I hear great things about the Smashbox jet set cream and it it going to be the next liner I try

audri8301
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Everything rubs off on me except Urban Decay 24/7 pencils or Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes pencils. Both come in tons of colors!

alinnell
05-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I have found that Urban Decay's Powder Potion used before putting anything on keeps everything in it's place. After the powder potion, I do the base color (something light--several brands used) and then use Loreal pencil liner. I then cover the liner with the same color power (almost always black liner and black powder). Again I use Loreal. Anyway, I think it helps "set" the liner a bit more than leaving it plain. Then I do the contrast color in the crease to shape everything.

Anyway, the Urban Decay powder potion is not cheap, but one tube lasts for months and months.

badassey
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
H4a5r - hmm I don't have a target here, but E.L.F I think my aunt might have bought me some of that makeup for xmas, I'll have to check out the brand when I get home, but if it is that's the eyeliner I'm having issues with lol. As for liquid eye liner yea I think I'd have to practice using that stuff on the week I have off of work (because 5am applying and reapplying make up isn't enough time haha) just to get it right, half the time the pencil stuff I screw up as well lol, one eye will look great and I'll some how screw up the next eye...lol I agree with you I'm very natural mostly as well, eyeliner and mascura are the only two things I wear and sometimes eye shawdow. I like my green eyes to really pop out so I tend to go dark around the edges.

Southlake - I'll def, look for smashbox I'm sure shoppers drug mart has some somewhere at a ridiculous price but if it's worth it, it's worth it. :)

Oh I bet it is E.L.F.! Their pencil liner is horrendous. I guess I'm biased, though, because I never met a pencil liner that I actually liked. If you want liner with good staying power - you're definitely going to have to go with some kind of gel or liquid. Take an hour some random day/night and just keep practicing (with makeup remover close by, of course!) And I'm sure there are a ton of tutorial videos on YouTube.

nina125
05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Since I was 16, I have never left the house without eyeliner on. So I have experimented with different products over the years and here are my favorites.

Pencil Liner : Clarins - $22http://us.clarins.com/wcsstore/clarins2/images/catalog/T6/C05/C050204001.jpg

Drugstore liner: l'oreal intense - $5-7. I like the mineral shade and it does not rub off or smudge. http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/09/38/5/779/7798614/0a3a3369d7c77d52_l_oreal_intense_.jpg

Pot liner : MAC Fluidline Blacktrack $15. You will need an angled brush to put it on, and it does smudge & rub off if you keep touching your eyes. But it is very easy to put on and looks good.http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/WDMhcAXYrAyRyE7OMdVfg6BrVNY3Taj8irbEI0uUzl1AR_dT3T Le3uLyzAcwcYif_cdWzJV6TyVfFKGG38F5HMJLnj0A2rQKGM4P _URNRUK6QNp1Fahau-9hOWsE0uxolUsJFSPBWtOXKtUC0VH_CRclGfm0_v1issHvbHEk fkJaorPEcPRbHZfMKFxfyT-tQg

Beach Patrol
05-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Liquid & gel liners are the best for true-wear, but yes they are a little more difficult to apply -just like anything else! - takes practice. :D

However, I like to use pencil liners - I like Cover Girl the best,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ponYSwklL._AA108_.jpg

because it has that rubbery thingymadoodle on the opposite end, very useful for smudging purposes AND if you run it across a same color eye shadow, then across the line you just drew, it has ultimate staying power. AND it's inexpensive!! Gotta love it! :carrot:

Kaonashi
05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Urban Decay's 24-7 eyeliner is great. For absolutely no-budge eyeliner Milani's Infinite Liquid eyeliner wins, but you have to have a steady hand to apply. It's almost too hard to remove (even with makeup remover)!

Riddy
05-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Another vote for Urban Decay 24/7! It comes in lots of colors, and stays on great.

I also like Sephora's own brand of waterproof liner.

Smiling_Sara
05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Styli-Style's Flat Liner is great. http://www.styli-style.com/Products/FlatLiner24/Flat-Liner24.html
It can be a bit hard to find. I tend to find it at drug stores, like Rite Aid, as opposed to Target/Meijer/etc.

This one looks very interesting. Might have to look for it.

Right now I'm using the ulta brand. It's ok. Nice, but always looking for "the" one.

Sunshine87
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I have found that liquid eyeliner stays on longer. You have to give it a minute to dry but it works very well.

djs06
05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I've been using eyeliner since high school- to the point that I don't even look like myself without it. :lol:

My favorite is the Almay crayon contour. As much as I love makeup, I haven't ever found that an expensive type works better than this one. I do, however, second the suggestion to get an eyeshadow primer- that makes a HUGE difference. I wasn't much of a fan of the urban decay one, because it dried out pretty quickly- although it looks like they changed the packaging- the Too Faced one is working well for me so far.

April Snow
05-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I use Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. There is a little learning curve for applying a gel liner and you have to give it a minute or so to dry after you apply it. But after that, it lasts and lasts as long as you are just briefly touching your eye. If you really rub you eye, it will start to flake off.

TrishG
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Estee Lauders Double Wear. No smudge and lasts!

saef
05-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I've learned the hard way over the years that I can't wear many pencil liners because of an allergy of mine to lanolin. Pencils frequently rely on lanolin or lanolin derivatives to make smooth line. If I use one of these products, my eyes become gummy & mucus starts clouding up my vision, my eyelids puff up & then the skin scales off them & starts peeling, like from a sunburn. I discovered that even "safe" eyeliner brands would change their formulas occasionally, or the ingredients would vary by color or make & model, leaving me facing this same old problem.

So I gave up & turned to liquid eyeliner. This has turned out to be a good decision. I use Sephora's house brand. It did take some practice to learn how to paint my lids & my hand needs to be steady. I prime my lids first with a Smashbox product. The liner is a bit damp after it is first applied -- so I am in the habit of putting it on early, then blow drying my hair immediately afterward & turning some cool shots of air on my eyelids.

oddreee
05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Milani Eyetech liquid liner. It's like a marker so it's easier than most liquid liners to apply. It works better for me than the smashbox cream, and it's cheap. You can get it at CVS/ drugstore. it's in a gold tube.

Amberelise
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Pot liner : MAC Fluidline Blacktrack $15. You will need an angled brush to put it on, and it does smudge & rub off if you keep touching your eyes. But it is very easy to put on and looks good.http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/WDMhcAXYrAyRyE7OMdVfg6BrVNY3Taj8irbEI0uUzl1AR_dT3T Le3uLyzAcwcYif_cdWzJV6TyVfFKGG38F5HMJLnj0A2rQKGM4P _URNRUK6QNp1Fahau-9hOWsE0uxolUsJFSPBWtOXKtUC0VH_CRclGfm0_v1issHvbHEk fkJaorPEcPRbHZfMKFxfyT-tQg

I use this and love it. It applies like a dream.