Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #1  
I'm not afraid of scales!

S/C/G: 85.3/ticker/56 kgs

Height: 1.57 m / 5'2''

Unhappy Minor Food Crisis - do you have those?

Ok, the thing is: my stomach is not used to eating just soup for dinner anymore! The plan I worked out involves me eating soup as dinner - always!
And yesterday, I had a bit of a crisis when I went to get my before-bed glass of milk: there was still cold pasta - leftovers from everyone else's dinner; so I ate it.. not everything, mind you, 'cause there was still plenty of pasta for 2 or 3 people (my mother doesn't really know how to cook just for 3.. there's always leftovers piling up in my fridge). But this is irrelevant, the thing is: I ate bits of it.. Like 5 forkfuls and I felt so stressed out while I was doing it.. I knew I shouldn't be eating it - the thing was covered in bacon and cream; but it tasted soooo gooood! and then I just felt bad about the whole thing.. did consider throwing up, but I don't want to start any bad habits.

Anyway, do you guys have this sort of thing happen to you too? Does this have any "name"?
RiiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #2  
Keep on Moving!

I think perhaps you need to look again at your plan. Is it really sustainable to eat soup for dinner every night for the rest of your life? What happens when you go out to dinner with friends - will you stick to soup when they are eating steak or pizza?

Maybe your body craves other foods because soup doesn't provide everything it needs. it's good to have a plan, but not if that plan leaves you feeling deprived (if only subconsciously) and could drive you to binge.

Last edited by georgeshair; 05-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #3  

yeah... I guess.. 'cause I really wasn't hungry, I was just fine, honestly, but that thing stood there looking at me screaming "eat me! eat me!" -.-
I was just so awfully focused on doing things right this time that I forgot I like to eat x ]

binge? is that what it is? o.o I don't even know the word
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Well, I am all for having soup for dinner provided you are getting a healthy amount of calories in during the day. I don’t particularly like eating heavy at night so I load up during the day. However, if your body is having a hard time adjusting to just eating soup at night then why don’t you have that for lunch paired with a side salad? But I know that’s not why you posted!

And yes, I think we have ALL had food crisis’s. Mine was over Easter. I couldn’t just have the veggies that were sitting out on the appetizer table. I had to eat the nuts, chips, cheese, salami and crackers. I. Could. Not. Stop. And even though you felt badly afterwards, you just have to forgive yourself and move on. 5 bites is not terribly bad especially since there was an opportunity to do a lot more damage. If you ate the entire thing mindlessly I would have classified it as a binge but you took back control after 5 bites and now you just need to move on from that. It’s OK!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I think it is called: NOT FEELING SATISFIED!

THis happens to me... it is a feeling of unsatisfaction sometimes. I know how to keep from getting it... make sure I eat enough of the right foods, usually add something crunchy or salty. Sometimes I'll just top a meal with a little treat... Like an 80 calorie Granola Thin. Soup would definately give me that feeling. I would need something crunchy or I wouldn't feel satisfied.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I know everyone else has said this, but I think you need to reconsider your plan. There's nothing wrong with soup. But having the same thing for any meal without any variation: that's going to get old quick. And I think there should be room in a long-term plan that allows you to satisfy cravings from time to time. A few bites of pasta is nothing to beat yourself up over and a plan that tells you it is more likely to lead to a failure mentality.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree that changing your plan might be in order. You can have 3 MEALS a day and still lose. As a matter of fact I have 3 meals and 3 snacks and still lose. Soup may be part of a meal but not the entire meal.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #8  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I love soup, but when I have it, it has to be PART of a meal. It's mostly liquid, and one nutritionist referred to it as a slider food - it's going to SLIDE right through your stomach and never quite fill you up.

I agree with the person that said pair it with a salad, and perhaps have it for lunch rather than dinner. Generally, I'll have a can of Healthy Choice or Progresso Light Soup with a HUGE mixed green salad topped with a can of water-packed tuna. It's all healthy food and it's incredibly filling.

For dinner, try to have something more substantial - a dense protein filled with healthy calories, something that will leave you feeling full. If you're full, you'll be far less tempted to eat those forkfuls of pasta.

I'm very glad you didn't make yourself vomit, because compounding one bad decision with another wouldn't make you feel better. Chalk it up to a learning experience and consider yourself better prepared for the next challenge you face.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #9  

You're mostly right and I came to the same conclusion during the day: I'm rarely hungry during day time, no idea why... so I think I'll be eating more at night and less at lunch.
Oh, and my soup is not liquid.. It has tons of veggies to chew ahah

and yeah, I do agree 5 bites aren't that much, but they drove me mental, 'cause I wan't even hungry !
Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #10  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

All soup has liquid, and the foods in the soup are generally fairly mushy. They dissolve pretty easily and just slide right down. That's what I was referring to.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote