100 lb. Club - BEST "diet" food ever

View Full Version : BEST "diet" food ever

Gale02
05-16-2011, 03:36 PM
So on the heels of the "worst diet food ever" thread, I thought it would be interesting to see the flip side.

What's your favorite food that you've discovered on your weight loss journey?

I recently discovered that I love, love, love jicama and mashed sweet potatoes (not together, cause that'd be gross.) Jicama is that crunchy something I crave and sweet potatoes are like dessert for me.

Rainbowgirl
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I love jicama! It's like a cross between a radish and a turnip - turnip sized, radish texture with that lovely crunch and none of the heat of a radish.

I really, really, really, like edemame. I get the box of them at Costco, 100 calories in a HUGE bag. Microwave frozen for 3 minutes and add a little salt and you have one insanely yummy snack.

SCraver
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I used to think I hated all veggies... Now, I have discovered I can eat asparagus like candy. Spinach is nummies! I eat things like bean salad and LOVE it.

Trazey34
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I love cottage cheese! I can't believe it's only 110 cals! WTF??
Love QUINOA, make it a million ways - even an apple crumble with it!
Love Unsweetened Almond Milk (vanilla and / or Chocolate) insane!

Other than that really, I still eat all the stuff I used to eat (except mcd's of course) just about 1/2 of my old plate ;)

DixC Chix
05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Greek Yogurt!!

It stays with me so much better (more protein and more substance) than the 'diet' slop I used to eat thinking it was so good for me.

Its my go-to anytime snack.

TooManyDimples
05-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Love Vitatops and also PB2.

JamiSue3916
05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Love Vitatops and also PB2.

Okay, I was wondering what PB2 was. I'd never heard of it before this. So...powered peanut butter, huh? And it's pretty good? I REALLY miss peanut butter so I'm thinking about trying this one out...

Gale02
05-16-2011, 07:21 PM
PB2 is not bad. It's not exactly like the PB you get in the store, but it's a pretty good substitute. It's pricey, but if you love PB it's worth it.

SouthLake
05-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Roasted unsalted almonds. They satisfy my craving for sweet (cutting out sugar has made me realize how "sweet" other foods are!) or for salty (that proteiny feeling hits the spot!) Overall, delicious!

Think Thin bars- they have a mini bar that is sugar free, a good amount of protein, and taste delicious!

Organic Pink Lady Apples from my farmers market. You have not tasted an apple until you have had one of these.

synger
05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Cottage cheese. I know it's on a lot of people's "worst" list, but I've always liked it, especially the full-fat kind. It's my go-to food when I come home and dinner's not ready yet. It's my I-just-need-a-mouthful-of-SOMETHING food. It's cool and creamy and cheesy and yummy.

Lori Bell
05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Roasted in the oven veggies...all kinds. Green beans, cauliflower, butternut squash, beets, asparagus, Brussels sprouts to name a few favorites. Tossed with a little olive oil and a dash of salt...OMG I can eat pans full.

Also, I have found 101 ways to make the most delicious oatmeal. Filling, warm, creamy, wonderful!

morphomel
05-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Roasted broccoli - just tossed in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Holy yum! I never thought I'd eat veggies as a snack, but damn I love this stuff.

ELBS717
05-16-2011, 09:06 PM
hummus! Goes so great with all kinds of veggies, great on wraps, great on salad, great with crackers, it is endless. And all the varieties - my current favorite is jalapeno-cilantro. So great!

krampus
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
bell peppers. i eat em like apples!

Slimjem
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I second the hummus! I like Sabra's Roasted Pine Nut flavor. Where can I find the Jalapeno & cilantro/brand at? Sounds good. Also love Honeycrisp Apples!

JessLess
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Egg white omelet with avocado, turkey bacon and mushrooms. Breakfast of champions.

Sunshine87
05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I love Yoplaits Light yogurt. There are so many flavors and I used to think it would cost too much to buy the individual serving containers but it satisfies my sweet tooth.

Goddess Jessica
05-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Watermelon.
Cut up into pieces and put into a giant stainless steel bowl in the fridge so I can grab it right out of the fridge. If I want something sweet, I never even get to something "bad for me." I just open up the fridge and go, "Ooooooo.... watermelon."

Chirashi Salad
It's a huge salad with sashimi and brown rice. The dressing is served on the side and is sweet and hot but you don't need a ton of it. At the place near my house, it serves two or ME.

Lean Cuisine Mac n Cheese
I need portion control with mac n cheese. If not, I will (and HAVE) eat the entire "blue box." If I am craving it, this is my go-to.

konfyoozed
05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
i'll third the opinion of hummus... and add that i especially love the 'dessert' hummus options, great on fruit or graham crackers. a lovely 'sweet treat' after dinner with a fraction of the calories as other desserts.

Eureka
05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Sweet potatoes. For forty years I turned my nose up at them, but now I prefer over the white potatoes.

Hello Nurse
05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I have lots:
-Laughing cow cheese
-Fiber one yogurt
-pistacios (you get more bang for your buck calorie and fat wise vs. other nuts)
-Cherry tomatoes (especially the sweet yellow ones)
-Spaghetti squash
-Walden Farms Chocolate and Caramel Dips (their other products...not so much)

I'm sure I can think of more...

TerraIncognita
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
- I love whole grain anything. Bread, crackers, pasta. Brown rice is so much better than white.
- Veggie and turkey sausage are also way better than pork.
- Skim milk. (Though to be fair, I was raised with it.)
- Not sure if this counts, but I am a DIEHARD Diet Pepsi drinker. If there isn't at least a two liter in the apartment, I get a bit nervous. (Not that that's all I drink!)
- Plain almonds. A handful gives me the most pleasant energy boost. They really are the best snack ever.

LeslieWendy
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
String Cheese. You can buy a big bag at costco, and they are perfect to tie me over until dinner.

GirlyGirlSebas
05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
#1 - Steamed broccoli.
#2 - Roasted turnip fries.

I've never been a veggie eater, so this is huge for me!

girlonfire
05-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Jalapeno cilantro hummus is from Trader Joe's and I LOVE it!

I like to snack on snap peas. SOOOO yummy!

starfishkitty
05-19-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm gonna second someone above on the green peppers! If I want chips, I have a green pepper instead! Also, Tyson's Grilled-N-Ready Chicken breasts (so moist!), and Lean Cuisine's with goat cheese on top, melted! mmm...... And any kind of summer melon. :)

dancinginpaint
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I've found lots of things that I love. I think the biggest thing for me was realizing that I really do like vegetables and fruits. Squash, zucchini, green peppers (love), carrots, etc etc. The only thing I can't get into is celery. I have learned to like both standard and greek yogurt. If you don't drink only water, the gatorade zeros are pretty good. I have really learned to rely on the veggies and fruits though....

OnMyWayDown
05-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Definitely hummus was the biggest surprise. I never really cared for it althugh I like almost all veggies. It goes great with red pepper slices!

Ferumbras
05-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Beef jerky, original style with low sodium. Tons of protein, few carbs, low in calories. Perfect!

stacygee
05-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Love this LIST!

Mine are almost all on the list already:
Sabra Hummus with roasted Pine Nuts!
Think Thin Bars and also Power Crunch Bars
Ground Turkey Patties grilled
My Salad every night: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, ground cashews, heart of palm and a little olive oil.

butterflymama
05-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I have always LOVED fruit my favs are strawberries, raspberries, cherries and I love love love honeycrisp apples would chose a honey crisp over a piece of cake any day!

Some other fav foods

Raw nuts
Baked Kale chips
raw cauliflower

JamiSue3916
05-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Without a doubt it's asparagus! I LOVE it and had no idea!

nineoceansaway
05-21-2011, 05:41 PM
English muffins, hummus, fish and seafood (always hated fish, now I will eat any fish in any preparation- except salmon still not a fan of that ;) )

Riesz
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Although most of mine have been covered I'll post my list too! :D

I love:
Plain greek yogurt, which I dress up with a variety of add-ins (raspberries, shaves of dark chocolate, a tiny bit of honey, blueberries, granola, etc)
Light Mini Babybel cheese & light string cheese
Apple slices & natural peanut butter -- best snack ever!
Raw unsalted almonds
Sweet colored bell peppers
Green salad of any type!

Larry H
05-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Plain raw radishes, no dip just radishes especially if they have a little fire in them as the Summer ones do.

Plain raw green beans - yummy fresh from the garden.

My favorite - sliced cucumbers chilled and pickled for at least two days in cider vinegar. I could live happily forever after on them.

Freshly picked ripe raw tomatoes quartered and eaten plain. I used to eat them salted but I have eliminated all added table salt from my diet. They are still great.

Cooked Greens with a small amount of vinegar, any kind of greens: Spinach, Turnip, Collard, Mustard, I don't care I love them all.

Granny Smith Apples, I love them but I have to watch the calories in them.

I have never tried Hummus. I don't even know what it looks like but so many on 3FC are talking about it I will have to try and find some to give it a try.

Larry,

dragonwoman64
05-22-2011, 01:37 PM
greens, yeah me too, with a little sauted garlic, esp spinach
honey crisps -- those are terrific, and trying other varieties from the farmers market (free samples)
I eat lots of strawberries and asparagus now. Blueberries. Tilapia.
bf makes a blanched broccoli and tomato salad that's great during the summer

April Snow
05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Someone else already mentioned it but Spaghetti Squash. The sweetness of the squash combined with tomato sauce is way better than pasta!