UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #1  

Default Hello from a new girl

Hi, I'm Helen, I'm 26 and I live in Edinburgh. I've had a lot of emotional problems concerning food & binge-eating and am currently trying to break free of the cycle, and learn to see food as something to enjoy rather than to torture myself with. I dread dinner parties, as while most people can stop eating I just go right on, and I always get seconds if they're offered, even though I know I don't need them, and really I'm no longer hungry. I currently am slightly overweight (I haven't dared weigh myself for a while, but I know by my clothes size, from mirrors, from people's reactions etcetera that I have put on weight in the past few months.)

It's really affecting my self esteem, as I'm a young woman, so you know, now should be the time I'm all pretty and youthful.

I weigh around 126 - but I'm very short - 5"0 so really need to lose perhaps 14lbs...

It would be good to meet people on here who are in similar situations

x
Heleninedinburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #2  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the group! And well done you for making the first steps in breaking your binging cycles and changing your relationship with food.

I've been slowly but surely(ish) trying to do the same since the beginning of the year. I was doing really well when I was making myself abstain from eating and being around 'bad' foods,and allowing myself to just stay away from 'dangerous' situations (social eating situations). However, since I've tried to introduce fatty/treat foods in moderation and allow myself to eat socially again, I'm finding behaving really difficult. But, I'm keeping up with being on plan most of the time, and being kind to myself when I fall off the rails and have a binge. I'm also focusing strongly on my activity/exercise levels to try and compensate for my binging when it happens. I hope that by being positive and keeping trying, one day I'll have a healthy relationship with food, be healthy and maybe, just maybe, slim too
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Hi Helen,

I'm new here too and very similar to you! I also have a big problem stopping myself from eating food when it's around me. I work in an office that is frequently filled with snacks and sweets and it's torture to say no all the time!

One way I've tried to control my urge to eat unhealthy foods is to really consider how much enjoyment I'd get from, say, the 30 seconds it takes me to eat a biscuit, and compare that to how proud of myself I feel going home at the end of the day knowing I stopped myself from idly snacking on empty calories.

Takingcontrol has the totally right idea - a positive attitude is the best way to succeed, and by joining this group of people you've got tons of support to get you through! Good luck
themilesawaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Yep I too am in the same situation, week 2 currently and I am proud to say that out of 12 days, ive only binged 3 times! And thats a good figure for me!! I am currently in an office surrounded by sweets and cakes and an amazing smelling canteen so its hard but I'm hoping each week will get better and better, good luck!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #5  

thanks guys for the responses so far, just reading this and knowing that there are others in the same situation makes me feel better, if that doesn't sound too weird....I just like the idea of sharing goals with people.

I am sort of weak with chocolate and sweet things, but I also think things that are 'healthy' are sort of my downfall...because with things like vegetable pasta, even if it has oil and cheese on, I tell myself it's healthy and then eat about three portions which makes me feel crap, sluggish, unable to have energy for the rest of the evening.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #6  

Default Cures for a sweet tooth

I suffered a bit with the sweet things too (currently 22lb lighter than when I started, 18lb to go) and I addressed it by trying lots of different fruit that I hadn't really tried before. I used to eat bananas and that was it. Now I always have apples, oranges amongst other things within easy reach. I also weaned myself off normal chocolate to the 70% dark stuff for times when only chocolate will do.
Iheartcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #7  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

I'm going to jump in too, I am a sweet-aholic! Absolutely addicted to cookies, chocolate, haribo, cheesecake, cream cakes... And I live next door to a 24 hr tesco. Apart from snacking, I found I ate quite well but when I was having daily treats, it was sending my weight through the roof. I cut those out and found after I kicked my habbit it's quite easy to stick to low calories, I'm on about 1200-1300 a day and I don't really feel unsatisfied with that.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #8  

Yeah, I'm terrible with sweet things....and have just had a couple of days when I have eaten far more than I should....still too frightend to weigh myself!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

I've had a couple of bad days too Helen, determined to get back to it tomorrow and be really strict on myself through the week. Staying positive I can get back to it rather than dwelling on a bad couple of days is something that really helps me get through it and keep going.
themilesawaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !

Last edited by bargoo; 05-22-2011 at 07:34 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote