100 lb. Club - Does anyone else hate shopping?

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate shopping?

Joszac
05-14-2011, 10:26 PM
YUK!

I had to go shopping for clothes and I have to say I HATE clothes shopping! Where are the NICE clothes for "big" women? I carry the majority of my weight in my stomach. When I try on slacks or jeans the legs and butt are always just huge on me if I get the waist to fit. I would describe my body type as an apple with toothpick legs. I can't be the only one shaped like this:( I see other women out shopping and I think they look very nice and their pants fit their legs, butt and waist but they are in the same store as I am. I just don't get it.

I tell ya though...it is a great motivator to keep losing weight! I want to fit into clothes that fit all of me, not just my waist.

Do any of you have this problem and if so where have you found to shop?

astrophe
05-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I like to shop. But it takes some legwork. I carry a lot of weight in my belly too -- what styles are you into?

Basic tees, jeans, PJ's -- all fine from Target, Ross, jms.com.

Something nicer like dresses or dress pants takes more work though.

A.

IAteIt
05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Have you tried Penningtons? I am built the same way and I find some nice stuff there.

Also I find some at walmart

Joszac
05-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I haven't actually purchased clothes from any of the stores mentioned so you have given me a lot of new places to try:)

I mainly wear jeans and slacks. I don't do dresses unless I have too. I have a tattoo on my lower left leg and no matter what type of dress I try on that tattoo just classes it down:( Don't get me wrong. I like tattoos and have others but if i had to do it over I would have gotten a smaller one in that place just for dresses.

Thanks again:)

Trazey34
05-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Pennington's has a huge variety of shapes in the same pant! bigger waist/butt on some, skinnier thigh on others

I always needed big waist big thigh big a$$ pants LOL

Joszac
05-15-2011, 02:54 AM
I was just looking at penningtons website and it seems they are only in Canada? Have you guys bought online and can you return it just because of the wrong fit?

Ky30
05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I use to hate clothes shopping I love it now love to see what size I am in going the first week of June for Summer Im a size 16/18 pants and shirt they are a little baggie would love to be out of plus size when I go nexth month fingers crossed :).

juliana77
05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I need new dress slacks for work because mine are all too big.. I went to Kohl's and they had ONE pair of slacks (not my size of course) in the whole plus department. Seriously??? So I sucked it up and went to Walmart and they actually have decent slacks, in regular or petite length, for $16.

I can't wait to be able to shop in the misses dept.

theox
05-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I think Belk has some decent stuff in their plus-sized section. That's where I've gotten most of my work blouses and a pretty decent pair of work slacks.

gloo
05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
I used to love shopping, until I got to a point where it became depressing and horrifying to me because nothing fit. 50 pounds down and I'm starting to love it again, even though I'm still firmly in fat lady territory.

Since I don't want to spend tons of cash on transition clothes, I'm a bargain hunting maniac. And you guys, I cannot preach my love of Forever 21 plus sizes loud enough. A friend suggested the store to me, and I immediately though I'd never find anything there. Dear lord, I was so wrong. Cute stuff, super cheap, and fits so, so well. Not all of their retail locations carry plus sizes, but if you check their store locator you can find out if they have them near you. Alternately, they have a huge selection online if you prefer that.

Just FYI, size-wise they run pretty true. I'm probably about a 22 right now, and I fit into their 20 or 22 pants and a 2X dress or top.

SMSDREAMER2007
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I feel the same I carry alot of weight in my tummy and on my back bleh im into a size 20 pants now but stil at like a 24 top :\ (course my big *** boobs dont help either)

Eliana
05-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I hated shopping for a very long time, even well into my weight loss. I thought weight loss would automatically cure my shopping hatred, but it actually made it worse for a while. The only NICE thing about specially stores (like Lane Bryant) or about the "Women's" section is that it is small! There aren't a lot of choices. I know, I know, that's the problem right? For me it was a blessing and a curse. I liked the small atmosphere. Being thrown back out into normal was overwhelming for me and it took me a long time to feel like I wasn't in disguise.

My mindset has gradually changed and now I can almost say I love shopping. :D My eyes have adjusted to the correct pant size, but I'm lousy with tops. I'm a lot smaller than I think I am.

PaulaM
05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I hated shopping all the years I had a great figure, so you know I hate it like poison now. Plus our mall is really designed for the 20 somethings, even normal sized women would have a hard time there cause it would be mutton dressed as lamb looks.

Joszac
05-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Thank you again everyone. I have a much bigger list of places to try out now:)

synger
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I hate shopping. I dread shopping. I can't tell you how many times I've had to take a weepy break in a dressing room before I could continue trying stuff on. I put it off until I just can't any more, then tough through it as though it were a root canal. I have no pleasure in the selecting, the imagining, the trying on... I just try to find things that fit reasonably well and aren't too 50's mu-mu styled.

That being said, the last time I went shopping, I ended up getting excited. I had steeled myself for the ordeal, but the clothes were chic and slimming. These weren't the "fat lady clothes" I'd been wearing for years. I put one outfit on and had to stare a good five minutes at the mirror... I was shocked that I looked so nice in it! I was only one size down (from 26-28 to 22-24) so it wasn't that I had gotten into normal sizes. I really think there's a tremendous more variety of dressy/business/fun clothes in larger sizes now.

Deena52
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I do about 90% of my clothes shopping/buying from thrift stores. I go to real stores for underwear, socks and at times, a really dressy outfit for a special occasion when I'm in a time crunch and can't find what I want in local thrift stores. And when I say thrift stores...I mean Goodwill, Salvation Army and Hospital Thrift Shops run by their ladies auxiliary, etc.

I shopped like this when I was fat and I shop like this now. One of the painful aspects of shopping in regular stores was having to pay quite a bit for something I didn't really like. And when I was fat....I was gonna not like or look good in almost everything. It was simply a matter of which item looked the least horrible on me.......and to pay good money for this just added to the loss of self-esteem pain. (and I know the lighting in those dressing rooms make you look your worst in those mirrors...lol)

When you purchase an outfit in a store....wear it once and it's no longer NEW. For those who like the feel of new clothes, you only get to experience that one time....and is the cost worth it?

I'm not wealthy and one of the best things about thrift shopping is that I can literally spend like a drunken sailor and go home with bags and bags of stuff. I once got a receptionist job and needed casual/dressy (non-jeans stuff). For about $75 I literally bought an entire wardrobe that took up a good bit of my closet and got lots of compliments on many of the outfits/items. I feel like Ms. Rich Person when I can shop like this.

Another plus is that the aspect of it being a treasure hunt makes it challenging but in a fun way. You have to do a bit of searching to get most of your finds but feel like you hit a gold-mine when you find the really good ones.

Another is that thrift stores carry many things that are no longer super-stylish but might have been the styles that looked best on you....when the current styles might look horrible on you. I remember one year when I was fat, I needed a nice dress for family wedding and the style that year was shirtwaist......and I'm short and they looked awful on me. But went to a thrift store and found a nice empire waist dress that looked much better on me.....but that you could not find in stores due to shirt-waists being IN and empire waists being OUT.
I'm sorry.....but when you're fat (and not wealthy).....wearing the most current fashions is not your greatest priority. You just need something that looks decent on you........so who cares about the trendy aspect?

Many of the items....you can tell just by looking at them....were worn once or twice and later donated. You will know which items launder well before you choose. Some of the items are VERY worn but there are plenty of relatively new things to choose from.....new meaning not worn, not meaning trendy.

I cycle around the different thrift shops....there are several Good Wills around me.....and I do each one in cycles.....to give them time to put out lots of newly donated stuff I've not seen before. Sometimes you can get the best stuff at 1) the thrift stores in the more upscale areas and 2) in the hospital thrift stores that are in good areas.

Seriously, it's a blast. I wear 29-30" jeans now (from 38-40" about 2 years ago) and I STILL buy most of my clothing at the thrift stores. You get to the point where the prices in the regular stores look outrageous when you become accustomed to getting clothes for much less.
My idea of a decent price for jeans if 5 bucks now....:D
$100 for them seems totally nuts...and highway robbery....to me.

And you can find some great treasures....my dad got Armani suits at the Paoli Hospital Thrift Shop...barely worn (I think most of the volunteers/auxiliary ladies there were married to doctors and would just buy stuff the husband didn't end up liking much....so they would donate it...often with the price tag still on it). Just recently, my sister found a pair of jeans for herself (for $5 ) that (she's fairly wealthy and has 3 daughters) she knew for a fact cost $170 in the stores. I can't remember the name...seventy-one or something like that....but she was thrilled. I even have designer items I've gotten from thrift stores....and items from Talbots and other pretty upscale and expensive stores.

I would never pay the prices in regular stores any more....unless I was really desperate and in a time crunch.

deena :)

DaDirtyBlond
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I also hate shopping! I tend toward the clearance racks at Macy's or shop at Target. I cannot get myself to spend money on clothes since I always have the idea that I'll lose the weight. Consequently, I have a bunch of random pieces and struggle to create a real outfit. I am not a big fan of Lane Bryant, there is always something weird and "extra" on their tops - a strange ruffle, gather, etc. I really just want a classic look and LB tries to be too hip for me, I guess. I cannot wait to get into the regular sizes and have real choices. Of course "cannot waiting" and actually making the correct eating choices to get there are two different things.

Hello Nurse
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I carry my weight in my boobs and belly...I have no butt to speak of and my thighs are not very big. The only pants that are not baggy on my butt are the "yellow" style from Layne Bryant. Finding these jeans transformed my view of clothes, lol! You can order online if there are no stores near you.

ButterCup85
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I used to hate shopping. Though I am still no where close to my weight, I've found some stores that made me not hate it so much. They have great clothes. And I carry my weight in my hips, bottom and legs. Not all of it of course, my arms are big too and I have a tummy lol. But, mostly in my lower half. It's always been a pain finding something to go OVER my hips and fit on my waist.

My friend who is an apple, most weight in her tummy, none in her legs. We both loves these stores and ALWAYS find something.

First off Ross, it's cheap and when you can find something for 7 bucks even if yu have to dig it's worth it! The main one we go to is Dots though. Such variety, and I can always find jeans there! That's a miracle for me. I also like Debs, decent variety and not too expensive either. But, Dots wow. I got 3 jeans for 12-15 bucks each and I love them!

Dots also has cute tops, Debs too. And the little over shirts to cover your arms. Which I need. I tend to go for low cut tops that are usually sleeveless or spaghetti strap and I but the little over thingies to go on top, lol. I love those places.