Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #1  

Default Staying anonymous on this site...is it something you prefer?

Yesterday I was cleaning out my closet and found a pair of size 20 capris I wore in May of 2010 to my husband's graduation. I was amazed how far I had come. Then today, when I posted some recent pics of our vacation on facebook, a friend commented on how much weight I post and how good I looked. (I'm wearing size 12 capris in the picture)

It had been a full year and I wanted to post a before and after pic so far (I'm not at goal yet) on this site, since this site has been such a big part in my journey. However, the honest truth is that I don't want my picture on a weight loss website. WT Heck? It sounds weird, but I've always been very private about weightloss and only my husband knows I go on this site. I feel like I want to maintain my anonymity, which is silly since I talk about specific details at times, but I never really give info like my name or my real picture.

Does anyone else feel like this? Would it be silly to cover up my face in the pics then post them? I know this is paranoid, but I do devulge some very personal feelings on here, and I always worry that like a patient of mine is a member of this site and will see the pictures, and be like "I know her!" lol, anyone that is a friend of mine, has seen these photos and covering up my face won't matter because they'll recognize the photo. Its more people I'm not close to, and not facebook friends with. Aquaintences that, you never know, might be here.

Anyone else feel this way?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #2  

I can relate to that. It's not the people that I know and I like...and especially not the people that I don't know at all... but it's the people that I know and who I don't like or want knowing my business and personal thoughts that keep me from giving/showing TMI. Hey, not everyone is nice. None of their business.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I have seen several people cover their faces in their b and a's! I have seen just body shots too. I do not think it is abnormal to not advertise who you are. I personally am so open about my weight loss plans and goals that I really don't care if someone recognizes me, but that is just me. Maybe I should now that I think about it due to my profession....
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I believe that what ever makes you comfortable is the best. When you are comfortable sharing comes easy. Sharing is an important and a vital part of my weight loss program.

If you are more comfortable with anonymity then that is what you should do.
I would not worry about posting anonymous pictures either. Just crop your face out and post them.

I am open and maintain no anonymity with my weight loss program.

I know something about anonymity because I am an Alcoholic who has 34 years of continuous sobriety due to the grace of God and my membership in another organization that I do maintain my anonymity in.

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

I completely agree.. it is a welcome change that this site is annon cos with facebook and other sites it isn't as easy to be as open , but here you can just spill out your issues and achievements with weighloss..

i recon you could blank out your face, whichever your more comfortable wit..
when i get to goal i think ill be throwing it up there haha but then again thats easier said then done when te finish line is far away... that could change as i get closer...

whatever you decide good luck and congrats on your success
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #6  

Thanks all! I think I will post some pics, minus the faces! lol my kids are in both pics. It was really hard to find a pic of me at my highest weight. Seems I was quite good at avoiding the camera! So that's why the only one with me at that weight that I could readily find, is wth my son.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-14-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #7  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

After reading this, I removed my photos from 3FT.
I literally put them up, right before I clicked on your thread too..
I guess I never really thought about it.
I had put up a photo of my boyfriend and I, and after reading what you said.. I thought to myself "how embarrassing would it be if someone who knows him came accross this, and they told everyone his fat girlfriend is on the internet saying this or that about whatever" ya know? I would cry for days... I know he loves me, and thinks I'm perfect, but I'd hate to put him in that very awkward position..

Thank you for posting this, obviously was a sign that I clicked on this. haha
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #8  

I've been searching this site and can not figure out how to post a pic in my post! I've checked around the stickys meant for beginners, but nothing.

Mypinkpokadot, I'm a nurse and I see LOTS of different people and their families that might remember my face. I've had patients recognize me in stores ect, so its not too far fetched they'd recognize my photo. And considering, many of my patients are over weight or obese (because this is one thing that brings people into the health care system) its not all too hard for me to imagine them being on this site. I talk very intimately about my issues with food on here, and its not things I want to share with them.

I never even thought about people that know my husband recognizing me on here. Good point too!

However I can't figure out how to post pics, so this might not be an issue anyway!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #9  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

you'll still be anonymous. seeing your face won't make us suddenly recognize you.

i mean, unless any of your friends go here and you just don't know it.

it makes sense though. revealing yourself to the internet feels kinda weird.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

As soon as I posted pictures, someone I "know" from another site on the Internet recognized and contacted me, but I'm cool with it. I am "out" on all of the Forums I use, happy to share my full name with anyone who cares.

But I can certainly understand that some professions or personal preference would make that undesirable.

Once I started using Facebook, I gave up on Internet privacy. I try not to post anything that I would be embarrassed for anyone to read.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #11  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

I guess in some ways, if someone was to find me on here, they'd be on here for similar reasons, right?

It's a toughy...
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I like to crop my face but it's for no other reason than I used to very freely post my pics on the internet. Now, I'm trying to be a bit more reserved in that regard (except for on Facebook where I feel it's more controlled). :-)
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #13  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I completely understand. I don't mind sharing my name privately via PM and wouldn't mind posting photos without my face in them, but I don't feel comfortable posting face photos on a public forum where anyone (including non-members) could view them. I share my struggles very openly here, and don't wish for people from my real life to know details regarding my weight (starting or current). I'm here precisely because I don't feel comfortable discussing weight and weight loss issues with people in my real life.

I actually posted a photo recently that I intended to take down within a few days, and went to remove it tonight and found that the thread is locked and I cannot edit out my photo. I'm going to have to figure out how to get it removed as I am not comfortable leaving it up permanently.

Last edited by chickadee32; 05-15-2011 at 12:59 AM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #14  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

I'm the same as chickadee32. It's not the members on here that make me feel more comfortable with staying anon, it's the fact that non-members can see it. People who are just passing through. The last thing I want is a future employer to find photos of my weight loss.

My other concern is that people might take the photos because I have no copyrights to protect them and I'm not sure what this forum's policy on protecting photos is. They might end up on a fat fetish site or on one of those stupid acai berry ad scam things.

I think if I ever do post a picture, I will crop my face and blur the background because I really love that people do take photos and show them. I find it so encouraging and motivating. I just have to make sure I'm completely anonomyous in those pictures.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 338/ticker/150ish

Height: 5' 6.5"

I feel the same way actually. I'm down about 100lbs now, still have a long way to go, but I thought at some point, I wouldn't mind putting up a before and after (or progress) pictures, because it is something to be proud of and I know that seeing before and after pictures of others definitely motivates me, so maybe my pictures might keep someone else motivated as well. But I think if I ever do post them, I'd have to crop it so my face isn't in them or anything else that would identifiable. I think I'd just be more comfortable with that.
cherokee21 is offline   Reply With Quote