Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

Default I want to scream!

I started dieting in February--I kept my calories between 1300-1500 with normally one meal on Sunday where I ate what I wanted within reason.

About a month ago things were slowing down and my fitness pal app took me down to 1200 calories. I use that as my "base" low and add 200 calories--it worked for me before. Suddenly i gained a little but I kept on trucking...lol it seems I am stuck now! I haven't lost a thing!

So this week I stuck to 1200 calories HOPING that would shake it up. Nope. Still 233. My water intake is good....getting as many veggies as I did before---Sodium intake is actually much better than before. The only thing I changed when I cut calories is that I took out one snack for the day and cut a bit at dinner time.

I don't know WHAT is up! Im so frustrated! I keep telling myself that I need to just keep it up but what Im doing isn't working!
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #2  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Wow, first off, congrats on your 40+ lb loss!! That is awesome!!

Are you exercising at all? Maybe if you kicked that up a bit, it might burn more? I have no idea, I am new to all of this, but I'm sure I will be hitting a plateau sometime in the future, and would love some tips too.
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #3  
Perfectly Imperfect

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I also feel stuck
What ever you do, DON'T give up! I think this week I'm going to try for more exercise. Maybe that will help.
love02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

What your doing IS working. Plateau's aren't unusual, and they can last a while. You might find increasing protein and decreasing carbs or breaking meals into smaller, more frequent meals, or you might for no reason at all start losing again in a week or two.

A week, a month, even two months without a loss isn't all that uncommon. No food plan (unless it's starvation-level low in calorie) guarantees you a steady weight loss every week/month.

For 35 years, I didn't understand this, and every time my weight loss would stall despite my full-steam efforts, I would say "this isn't working." And when I believed it I quit. I assumed that stalled weight loss was permanent. In high school when I'd drop to 500 calories a day and it still "wasn't" working, I decided it was hopeless and I gave up and regained. I never went that low in calories again, but I repeated the pattern for 30 years. After a month or two or three of "no losing" or even slow losing, I'd giv up, thinking "if I'm going to be fat anyway, I might as well get to eat what I want."

One of the most dramatic differences "this time" is that I decided to make healthy changes and commit to them "forever" regardless of whether or not I lost weight. I'd try to make changes to lose faster, but the weight loss was the reward not the focus. The focus was on my calorie and activity level.

I've had lots of unexplainable plateaus (and even more entirely explainable ones, like off-plan days). Unexplainable as in, I have a consistent calorie and exercise level and see regular losses, then sporadic losses, then stretches without weight loss, and resumed weight loss - all without changing anything.

From my experience, I believe that you could do nothing differently and start losing again next week or in two weeks. All sorts of things can tamper with your weight loss termporarily.

You can't assume by 1 or even 6 weeks without a loss that what you're doing isn't working.

I'm not saying don't change. I'm saying don't panic if you don't see immediate results. A month isn't a very long time to go without a loss. Stress hormones, insomnia, a virus, your menstral cycle, diet changes.... there are a lot of things that can impede weekly weight loss.

Many times it results in "whooshing" which means that you may not lose any weight for several weeks and then suddenly drop several pounds.

Just remember that it can take months to determine whether something isn't working. So two, three, even six weeks without a loss doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

1200 calories is very low for your weight. What is your weekly weight loss goal? When I joined mfp I weighed slightly less than you and to lose 1.5 lbs per week I've been eating 1530 (plus my exercise cals).
Your target may be too low.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #6  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I am not a member of the "you're not eating enough" crew. It has been proven that ANY dieting temporarily changes your metabolism for the worse, but starvation mode is a myth. If eating too little made you not lose weight, people couldn't become anorexic or die of starvation. The science of that idea just doesn't make any darned sense to me.

Alot of the diet metabolic slowdown has to do with losing muscle mass instead of fat. If you lose the mass that burns WAY more calories, then your BMR goes down. You can combat this with strength training.

There is an issue that is fairly common that can cause you to not lose weight as the calories in/calories out science dictates, and that is insulin resistance. I have PCOS and it causes IR, but poor diet and lack of exercise or other hormonal imbalances can cause your body to change how it processes nutrients in a similar manner.

I'm guessing since you are aware of your sodium levels that you track other things besides just calories....are you aware of your carbohydrate intake? If you do have some form of insulin resistance, lowering your carb percentage can get the scale moving. I eat a similar calorie level to yours and I try to keep my carbs under 100 a day. I also find that taking a cinnamon supplement helps ALOT.

Whatever you decide to do, don't give up! I totally understand the feeling, when you are technically doing everything right but not getting any results. It is disheartening, without a payoff it is hard to justify the effort.
Even if you change nothing eventually the scale will move again. It really is a matter of your body catching up to the changes you are making, and undoing the damage that being overweight causes. You can do it!
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

I am diabetic and I have been tracking my carbs but I WILL say I have ate a few more carbs because Im not cutting as drastically as I was in the beginning when I was diagnosed in the beginning of Feb.

Im just going to keep on going. Something will give at some point. Im going to watch carbs a bit more and see if that changes anything.

I had a big NSV this morning--I went shopping for a new skirt and went in wanting a size 22. I tried on 22's and they just wouldnt work--too big

Im not going to stress. Almost 4 months ago I couldn't button a size 20 let alone button, zip and breathe! LOL Im making progress and if its slow--it is what it is! Its a lifestyle change for a healthier life
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
I am not a member of the "you're not eating enough" crew. It has been proven that ANY dieting temporarily changes your metabolism for the worse, but starvation mode is a myth. If eating too little made you not lose weight, people couldn't become anorexic or die of starvation. The science of that idea just doesn't make any darned sense to me.
The science makes sense if you understand it. Starvation mode can slow metabolism, it can't stop it. "Starvation mode," doesn't make you starvation-proof, it only makes you starvation-resistant. And not everyone is starvation-resistant to the same degree (The difference may be due to genetic or environmental, or physiological factors. Some of these differences are known, and some of them aren't).

If starvation mode were not possible, if everyone had the same metabolism, then everyone who started at the same weight would die of starvation at the same rate (at least if their activity level were the same). And people would die of starvation much faster than they actually do.

It wouldn't explain why one person can die of starvation in six weeks and another person of the same starting weight, on the same calorie level can live for years (on a daily intake of 500 calories or less).

People do die of starvation, but it's a slow process, and a slower process for people who have practice at it. That is a healthy person who has never been on a diet at all, will starve to death faster than an anorexic or a person in a country that experiences frequent famines, because their body has had more practice at conserving energy.

The process by which metabolism slows down isn't entirely a scientific mystery. A lot of it is quite well understood. There are even genes that have been identified that are associated with different metabolic abilities.

The body can't tell voluntary famine (dieting) from involuntary famine (no food in the environment), but most people have inherited various abilities to deal with famine. For example, "shutting down" nonessential processes (and which processes are being shut down and to what degree). It's just like a large factory shutting down production lines and even parts of the factory that aren't needed during a bad economy.

One of the ways the body will conserve energy during famine is spending less of it's energy resources (calories) on immune function (which is why people don't really die of starvation, they die of something else that they would have been able to fight if they'd been healthy - such as infectious disease).

Another way the body will conserve energy is by increasing fatigue levels and the amount and deepness of sleep. A person may sleep more and have less energy during the day. The difference can be small enough you might not even notice it. Not everyone will notice that they're sleeping an extra half hour or that they're figiting less, or that they're getting the same amount, but a different depth of sleep.

Even the type of food can affect metabolism. I've found that on low-carb my body temperature is a full degree higher than on high-carb. Body temp is a metabolic process, so that means my metabolism is different on low-carb than it is on high carb. I can eat about 1800 calories to lose the same amount of weight as 1500 calories of high-carb (this seems to be true for a lot of people, but it's not universal. Some people seem to lose equally well regardless of calorie intake. There may be a genetic difference, or it may be a process difference, there might be a physiological trigger).

It doesn't mean that increasing your calories will help you lose weight - just that it might. You might have more energy to do more (without even realizing it) or more energy for internal processes you're not even aware of (like boosting your immunity).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote