Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default Struggling after having a baby

Well, he's almost 1 years old now!

I maintained my loss for SEVEN years and then got pregnant and literally ate for two. Since having the baby, I'm really struggling to lose this weight (which admittedly was not too hard the first childless time around).

Before, I could sleep 10 hours (he still feeds at least 1x at night), I could go to the gym for 1-2 hours a day (I work out during his naps but admit sometimes I don't have the energy anymore), and I get bored and eat when he's napping.

And I struggle so much to not eat so much food It's like 1600-1700 calories makes me soooo hungry still when before I was just fine.

And forget teh ticker, I'm sure as heck not 129 anymore!!

Anyone else?? I admit I did not think it would be this hard after having a baby but like most things in parenthood, I never knew what it was like until it happened to me too.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just a random helpful hint instead of eating while he's napping why not try napping yourself? I think because you are tired your body tries to eat to help battle it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

My little guy is about to turn 1 year this weekend. It was an adjustment for me as well. I agree that one of the biggest struggles has been not going to the gym regularly.

I've adapted by doing different exercising--all things that my son can do with me. For example, we do yoga (he loves rolling around on the floor with and laughing at my awkward poses). We go to the pool once a week. Just walking back and forth with him in the lane and tossing him up in the air get my heart rate up. We walk at least a mile per day. We crawl at full speed though the house together. And arm workouts--I pick him up while on my back and lower him to the floor over my head. He grabs a toy and then we do it all over again--my arms have never been as strong.

Would any of these work for you? It isn't the same as going to the gym--but it is better than nothing.

Any activities you can do while he is napping? I love to write novels, so I do this while he naps--which keeps me out of the cupboards. Also--this special time for me keep me feeling satisfied (even if the housework doesn't get done).

As far as volume of food--are you breastfeeding? I'm hungrier now with breastfeeding than I was while I was pregnant. 1600 calories seems kinda low if you are breastfeeding.
Riverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

Have you thought about investing in a bike and a child chair that either can be pulled or attached to a bike? How about a stroller and take walks with him?

I can relate with not feeling like I had ANY time to work out with my son, but adjust fire and adapt! If you know you will snack when he is sleeping, stock your house with "healthy" snacks. You don't need 1-2 hours a day to get into shape.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

If I'm not mistaken you're still breastfeeding, so yea you're gonna be hungry. I lost 70 before getting pregnant and gained 50 during. I lost the 50 quickly by not doing anything special and then plateau. I didn't even think about dieting until I was done nursing around 14.5 months and then the last 50ish just flew off. So just give it time, you're body takes a lot of time to adjust after pregnancy and a lot of time to adjust to nursing and to adjust to not nursing.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #6  
is chubby

When he's a little bit older you can go to a gym that has a play-area for little kids It will help him socialize too!
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well I have three kids, close together, and Seth is still mainly nursing (he's 7 months old). Yes, I definitely have to be vigilant. I get hungry, lack time to dedicate to activity as I'd like, and definitely don't get enough sleep. You just do the best you can. I work out when all three of them are napping and they don't always coordinate as I'd like. I also try not to over restrict my calories as I am nursing so much still, but it's all about balance for me.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

i agree with the others, i try and find activities with my daughter, shes 13 months. usually walking somewhere, good to get out the house with her bc she tends to get crabby if were in too long.

but i couldnt agree with you more, its so hard to be motivated, she exhausts me, and when she naps i want to rest. its hard not to snack when she naps. but i try and plan my lunch at that time. so its ok to eat. and have a hot green tea. i have to sip it so it goes down slow. also, you could do some, ehem, chores? lol i usually take nap time as a time to do laundry, or clean the bathroom etc.

Last edited by aggie2006; 05-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote