Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

Default Sweat, Sweat, and MORE Sweat

Has anyone else noticed that the more they work out and the better shape they are getting in, they are sweating more?

I can't stand it! I am in much better shape now and I sweat so much more than I did in the beginning!! I love to get a sweat on, but to have my clothes drenched and it looking like a rain shower coming off my forehead onto the floor.... well what gives? Is this normal? I didn't sweat like this in the beginning? I will continue to sweat like this if it means I am getting to my target, but I just hope I am not alone....
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #2  
~Kim~

I just read something about this. I wish I could remember where, but it basically said something along the lines of that the better shape you're in, the more you sweat because your body is more efficient, and it's cooling system (sweating) is functioning as it should.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #3  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Ryeb- I sweat somethin terrible..

But I love it! When I am sweatin, it shows that I am workin! And I LOVE that!

Plus, the gals at the gym who casually ride the bike while talking on the phone or touching up their makeup (they dont really do that, but they may as well) always look at me like "wow, she is gettin it in!!" And few have made comments about my workouts, "like, dang girl." LOL!

*Off topic*
the other night, there was a gal that I see on a regular basis at the gym (she is usually walking slowly on the treadmill with tinsey winsey shorts on, and looking around at all the guys to see which are noticing her) she never sweats.. EVER. She is always very well made up and her hair is always perfect. Now, at first, I didnt judge, I assumed she came from work, and so she was already made up.. the other night though, she was in the locker room curling her hair when I showed up. By the time I got done getting changed, I went to throw my hair in a pony. She sprayed some perfume, I thought she was leaving (like she had worked out, and then was getting ready to go elsewhere, I didnt even notice really that she was still in gym clothes) ANYWHOOOO.. it wasnt long before I saw her make her way up the stairs and jump on the treadmill. WTH!?!?! You got THAT done up to work out.. anyway.. that was totally off topic, but I really wanted to share..

*back to the topic*
I love being sweaty after a workout! I know, I know, weird. But for me, it is kind of gratifying..
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

The more water I drink, the harder I work, the more I lose, the more I sweat. Not abnormally during normal activity, but when I work out, it's insane! I don't mind as long as it means I'm healthier, but darn!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #5  

Yeah, I love the sweat, but like I said, I am was in the mind set the better shape I got in, the less I would sweat. Thank you ladies for the input, I hope that does mean I am in better shape because I sweat more. Maybe because I can keep my heart rate up longer because I don't get as fatigued is why?

Wendee... really? Curled hair AND purfume?? Not my thing... I look like **** going into the gym. There are even some guys I would love to talk to there, but I am like "Rye, you look like crap, wait until you take a shower" lol
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #6  

Oh, and FTR, I am not there to find a man, most of the time I don't even notice who else is there because I am working so freaking hard. I am determined to not be scared of buying a bathing suit this year!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

I definitely sweat more now that I'm in better shape. Sometimes I get a little blah about it but I try not to worry about it too much. There are only a few females who really sweat hard in the gym (during the time I'm there). And I've noticed they (myself included ) are the ones who are working the hardest. So I just give myself a mental pat on the back and keep doing my thing.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

hmm.. I've always been a sweater, in shape or not. Kinda embarrassing, and here I was hoping when I'm thinner and more in shape it would mean less sweating.

I remember my ex-boyfriend never sweated..Even during 100 degree weather, running. he said there was certain way of breathing to control it but he never told me how, lol. He was thin(Asian), in ok shape but didn't exercise or anything.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/163/150

Height: 5'2"

Oh yes! When I started working out more, I barely would sweat! Now, it comes out in buckets...I just figure my body is being more efficient!
comeasyouare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 242/183/160

Height: 5' 10"

Interesting topic! I had this in the back of my mind recently but I was almost successful convincing myself it was just my imagination... I guess it really is true.

When I first started working out more, I could wear the same workout clothes two days in a row (sounds gross, but I hardly sweat at all and I only wore them for an hour at most) but now I feel like changing shirts mid-workout!
oxymoronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #11  

I did the same thing oxy! I would wear my bra twice too, now it is so drenched, I am lucky it gives me support during the work out! LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #12  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Here is something I read about this situation:

Fitter people do start sweating sooner, and sweat more, than unfit people, says Michele Scharff Olson, Ph.D., professor of exercise science at Auburn University Montgomery in Alabama.

"As you get in better shape," she explains, "your body anticipates the heat buildup that occurs from exerting yourself." However, less-fit folks who quickly become drenched may be training too intensely, which increases their chance of injury and/or dehydration, Olson adds. Since factors including genetics, gender (men sweat more than women), air temperature and humidity all affect perspiration, sweating more isn't always a sign that you're burning more calories than drier exercisers are.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/158/107

Height: 4'11"

My 1st thought is a hormonal fluctuation. Which can and does happen with weight changes.
YoYoKimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #14  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendeeLou View Post
Ryeb- I sweat somethin terrible..

But I love it! When I am sweatin, it shows that I am workin! And I LOVE that!

Plus, the gals at the gym who casually ride the bike while talking on the phone or touching up their makeup (they dont really do that, but they may as well) always look at me like "wow, she is gettin it in!!" And few have made comments about my workouts, "like, dang girl." LOL!

*Off topic*
the other night, there was a gal that I see on a regular basis at the gym (she is usually walking slowly on the treadmill with tinsey winsey shorts on, and looking around at all the guys to see which are noticing her) she never sweats.. EVER. She is always very well made up and her hair is always perfect. Now, at first, I didnt judge, I assumed she came from work, and so she was already made up.. the other night though, she was in the locker room curling her hair when I showed up. By the time I got done getting changed, I went to throw my hair in a pony. She sprayed some perfume, I thought she was leaving (like she had worked out, and then was getting ready to go elsewhere, I didnt even notice really that she was still in gym clothes) ANYWHOOOO.. it wasnt long before I saw her make her way up the stairs and jump on the treadmill. WTH!?!?! You got THAT done up to work out.. anyway.. that was totally off topic, but I really wanted to share..

*back to the topic*
I love being sweaty after a workout! I know, I know, weird. But for me, it is kind of gratifying..
Oh my goose, that's exactly what I used to see at the gym! I would be the tubby girl with my hair going progressively into the crazy psycho look and whatever makeup I did have on would be on the machine in sweat pools, then you'd see "them". It's like - WHY ARE YOU PAYING TO USE A GYM?! Just go on the streets and look pretty, it's FREE. It infuriates me. I just feel like sabotaging their machines and making them go faster!

And perfume? For a work out? Get over yourself! I really hope guys laugh at her!

As for the sweat question - I too am in the camp of loving the sweat machine. Makes me feel like I'm sweating all the fat out of me, hah!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

WendeeLou: I thought the story about the girl in the gym was funny. I was a member of a gym last year and there were lots of girls who did that. I had a bit of a crush on one of the trainers. I wouldn't dare talk to him but one day he stopped me because I had a University of Michigan shirt on. He was originally from Michigan and started up did I go there etc. Mind you I had just finished working out so this shirt was drenched and I looked awful. But he said that that's when he thinks women look the best, when they are natural and willing to sweat. So that goes to show that just because you're looking good does'nt mean they're looking at you in a good way. They're probably laughing at her.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote