Exercise! - No WONDER people hate exercise!

View Full Version : No WONDER people hate exercise!

fitness4life
05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
...if this is what you're doing! I had to ride the recumbant bike for 30 minutes at my gym today. (Short story, it's a staff fitness trainer contest) It was the most boring, sweaty, waste of time in my entire week.

My perceived level of exertion was way higher than actual exertion. My butt hurt, I was dripping sweat and I could NOT wait to get off that thing. If this is what I was told to do to lose weight, I would never keep doing that. No wonder people stop exercising!!!

When I was done, I had gone 5.5 miles. That's IT! If it weren't raining out, I would have ridden my bike for close to 20 miles today and not have been miserable at all.

If this is how you feel, please please please go out there and find something more fun to do!!!

Exercise does not have to be miserable!!!

Post your most hated method of exercise and let's respond with awesome alternatives.

Amberelise
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Elliptical. My feet go numb after 20 minutes. I have no idea why, but they do.

What I LOVE is to rollerblade along the lake shore here in Chi-town.

mandalinn82
05-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not a fan of exercise bikes, either. But some people DO enjoy it. It's really about finding what YOU like and will stick with.

My personal favorites are treadmills (with TV distraction) and ellipticals. I really do enjoy running outside with some good music more, but I have some knee issues, so I can't do it as often as I'd like. I also like hiking, but have no trails near me, so that's more of a weekend endeavor. Oh, and I love weights (again, with either TV or music).

shakespearestoe
05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I completely understand where you are coming from about the recumbant bike. I think the key to exercise is to find something that fits your interests. I posted something in response to this issue in my blog the other day. I've been weight loss counseling a girl that has trouble with this issue and to keep her motivated I find simple things that can keep her interests. We even did a wii fit exercise game to keep her motivated.

Leonor
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't use the bike. Causes too much butthurt.

zoodoo613
05-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't hate gym equipment exercise, but I really don't love it either. Taking a walk, hike, bike ride is almost always enticing, but to get on a treadmill or exercise bike takes more motivation than I usually have.

SCraver
05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I hate the elliptical. I hate stairs, too. I love, love, love my treadmill... though, I would rather run outside. The stationery bike thing is new to me. Doing it on my own is boring - but I am taking a spin class and I like that.

The BIG thing for me is how my exercise translates to real life. I like the TM, b/c I can get better at running and run outside or hike. I like the bike, b/c I can use a bike outside. The elliptial? That isn't a "real" activity. KWIM? It doesn't translate to something I could do outside. Not that people shouldn't do the elliptical. (gosh, I hope I am saying this ok) It just doesn't fit into my idea of what I want to accomplish. Weight lifting = I can carry my son easier, I can carry more bags of groceries at one time, etc.

In high school, I used to try to do Cindy Crawford's workout VHS tape. No wonder I couldn't stick with it - it SUCKED!!

Nola Celeste
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Elliptical machines are wretched for me. I gather that they're supposed to mimic the natural motions of running or jogging, kinda-sorta-maybe-ish, but for someone my height, they don't work that way. They're a recipe for shin pain, ankle strain, and general discomfort for me and I don't care a bit for them.

I really thought I'd like the recumbent stationary bikes at my Y, but nope, not at all comfortable for me. I'm totally fine with standard stationary bikes.

What's more surprising to me, a lifelong sloth of a human being, is how many forms of exercise I DO enjoy. Try everything, folks--you might be shocked at what you wind up loving. :)

redhead14
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Being the strange girl that I am if you could lose weight with just lifting I would be all over it! Love lifting but can not stand doing cardio. Get nothing out of it but sweat (which is good) but never feel it the next day like lifting. My trainer told me that when your toes start going numb on the elliptical to put all your weight on your toes for a while.

silverbirch
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Being the strange girl that I am if you could lose weight with just lifting I would be all over it!

I'm pretty certain that's what sacha has done and I think she has a thread about it. I'm on the phone so can't really look it up but it could be in the Goal! type area. You can also find her on the Weights board.

I :love: weights too.

Stopfat
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
The funny thing about me is that I love elliptical and exercise bikes because I can read while I'm doing it--and yes, I am also dripping sweat all over my book.

I find most exercise boring, but I love listening to books on audio--so if I had an IPod, I'm pretty sure exercise could be a whole lot more fun!

Whatever interests you---good idea for a thread.

Just for the record though, ellipticals put my toes to sleep--which is somewhat disconcerting, and weight lifting is pretty fun!

TerraIncognita
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I cannot, for the love of me, figure out why anyone would want to use a stair machine. It's really the worst.

My favorite is outdoor biking. It's so fun to hit a hill and fly down. Downhill skiing is really fun too. I guess I just like sports that include speed and adventure in addition to exercise.

mkroyer
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Being the strange girl that I am if you could lose weight with just lifting I would be all over it! .

yes you absolutely CAN lose weight with just lifting... in fact, where fat loss is concerned its almost preferable... considering fatloss comes from your DIET, weight lifting conserves your lean muscle mass...whereac cardio eats it up

fitness4life
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Running outta time...
@Amberlise: switch body weight distribution on the foot. I have the same prob. This sorta works. Mostly, I get off and run the track.
@redhead - yes yes yes you can lose weight by lifting. Especially if done in a way that keeps your heart rate at an increased pace, by shifting muscle groups while allowing the former muscle group to rest - thus not allowing your cardiovascular system to rest. You will get muscular faster - changing your body comp - so that you burn more calories even at rest. What silverbirch and mkroyer said. look it up.

gotta go!

georgeshair
05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't like aerobics because of the floor work - I never did like lying on a mat, trying to do something convoluted with my legs!

My favourite forms of exercise are walking and dance. I love Salcacise and Zumba. I also like boxercise.

I'm thinking of trying Tae Bo - has anyone tried it? Would you recommend it?

Emme
05-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Elliptical. My feet go numb after 20 minutes. I have no idea why, but they do.

What I LOVE is to rollerblade along the lake shore here in Chi-town.

That happens to me, too! It drives me nuts. I get in a good rhythm on the elliptical and then my feet fall asleep.

krampus
05-13-2011, 02:04 AM
The stationary bike is the worst for me, and I also hate the stair climber. Treadmills invoke a dread response from me because I managed to fall violently on one during my first ever gym visit, and I get bored. Ellipticals are okay.

My favorite exercise is dancing, the flail-y kind you do at the club to drum & bass or techno. Second is running outside.

georgeshair I have only done the DVDs but Tae Bo is all right, so long as you can stand the terrible music they include.

mypinkpolkadot
05-13-2011, 02:11 AM
HATE Treadmill... I just don't have the endurance to keep going on that, like i do on other machines.. so I end up walking.. and wasting my time. lol
LOVE elliptical and stairmaster <3

BlueToBlue
05-13-2011, 04:16 AM
I hate kick boxing and any martial arts type exercise. I took Tae Kwan Do in college and I'm not sure I've ever been more miserable exercising. They made us wear those horrible white suits--I felt like the Pillsbury Dough Boy trying to be violent.

Frankly, any exercise where I can't pick out my own clothing that I feel confident in is going to be a non-starter for me. But also the whole fighting, yelling thing just isn't something I'm comfortable with. My trainer tried to work a couple of kick boxing-type exercises into our workouts but gave up pretty quickly. He told me that if I ever get into a fight, I better just run. I'm pretty fast so he thinks I could outrun them, but I'm definitely not a fighter.

bluemonday
05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
I read while riding my exercise bike. I often lose myself in my book and end up riding longer than I intended.

caryesings
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Too funny, because the recumbent bike was the basis of my exercise program during the 100 lb. weight loss and I'm quite sure I would not have lost much without it.

I also swam laps and hiked, but each of those only once a week. I rode that bike 5 days/week, in fact made a stationary-bike riding lady part of my ticker.

Now I couldn't have ridden the non-recumbent stationary bike, that one killed my butt.

goodforme
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I HATE the elliptical. I'll use the treadmill, and I'm kind of fond of the recumbent bike, but here's the kicker: I only use them for a few short minutes to warm up before I lift.

I prefer to do my cardio outside, so I can see nature, I can feel wind blowing in my face, I can go up a hill, or down a hill, or walk in the sand or on the pavement, whatever I feel like. And (here's the best part for me) I have to keep going, can't just stop moving and say "all done" because I still have to get back home! :dizzy:

My favorite exercise is lifting, my cardio-endurance sux, and I would love to swim but if I have to choose between swimming and lifting, it's lifting every time.

Stopfat
05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Treadmills invoke a dread response from me because I managed to fall violently on one during my first ever gym visit

I have never done this, but every time I get on the stair climber or elliptical I imagine flying backwards off it--lol.

mkroyer: I enjoy weight lifting much more than cardio, maybe I'll start again because your philosophy makes sense in the long run.

fitness4life
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Amberelise - When I lived in the 'burbs I would go to Chicago to ride my bike on the shoreline trail. Boy, do I miss that! Chicago is such a cool city. Have you been enjoying the warm weather?

NTexas
05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I HATE lifting weights, lol. Not a big fan of bikes either. But I can go hours (and I do - about 6-8 hrs a week) on the Eliptical, step areobics or brisk walking. I get my strength training by circuit training either in a class or at home by doing push ups followed by a sprint or something like that and not as often as I should because I just plump don't like it.. I am trying to not loathe running and have gotten myself up to a 12 min mile without stopping, but I'm not feeling the love yet.

An earlier poster mentioned audio books, I hook up my Kindle with earbuds and listen to it while on the eliptical or treadmill and average about a book a week that way :) A lot of the free books have speech enabled if you don't mind the computer voice (and I don't).

SBD Sass
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I hate exercising in a gym. It has to be dynamic workouts using no machines either outside or at home. I tried to love the public gym, but I just can't.

HMM3
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I really like all machines except bikes .... I have to cardio workout with machines during the week as I can only fit it in after the kiddies have gone to bed .... I also love working with weights ....

I do run outside on the weekends and always look forward to it ..... but I can' fit in outside exercise all the time ...

I always have an ipod for the machines and just the sounds of nature for my outside runs ....

tea2
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
When it's -30C and I can't go cross country skiing, it'll keep me from gaining weight.

Amberelise
05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Amberelise - When I lived in the 'burbs I would go to Chicago to ride my bike on the shoreline trail. Boy, do I miss that! Chicago is such a cool city. Have you been enjoying the warm weather?

Just read this...

I live two blocks from Foster beach specifically so I *can* do things along the lake.

The weather is utter crap right now. We had a couple days last week that lent themselves to working out along the lake, but not this week! I couldn't be more ready for summer at this point.

Which suburb?

finn
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Why/how anyone does step classes is beyond me - I've tried several types over the years and hated them all! I have the co-ordination of a baby giraffe!!!

QuillysQuest
05-19-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't like stationary bikes much at all, and while I do like the feel of the elipitical when I first get on it, my feet end up going numb pretty quickly as well. I've heard that is really common. Shifting my weight helps sometimes, but not enough to make me want to keep going on the machine.

I'm with SCraver on the things that translate into real life stuff (other than the stationary bikes! lol) I love the treadmill, because it will help me be able to go for longer walks, eventually runs and hikes without getting so tired. Plus I can keep track of my progress and continuously try to beat it. :) I also love lifting because it makes me stronger for carrying things, etc.

My favorite exercises though are dancing and Tae Bo. Georgeshair, I would DEFINITELY recommend Tae Bo. It's a GREAT workout, not only does it make you feel completely worked out, but it also makes you feel powerful. I mean, I don't know if any of it would be considered real kick boxing, but while you're doing it, you really feel like you could kick anybody's butt! :)

I haven't tried zumba yet, but I'm hoping to catch a class soon, because I have a feeling I'll love that! Hehehe :) ... In the mean time, I just got a Kinect and Dance Central and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for my birthday, and I'm realllllly loving Dance Central! Totally fun workout.

bronzeager
05-19-2011, 03:17 AM
I love gym machines. It is safe to say I would probably not have lost weight without gym machines. The trauma of elementary and junior high school gym has pretty much spoiled me for any kind of group exercise activity, especially any kind of team sports. I was an uncoordinated dork and will always feel like one. And when I wanted to start exercise that was a little more energetic than walking, I was too heavy to run. When I discovered the ellipticals in my new YMCA with TELEVISION SETS attached to each, it changed my life. When I moved away from there I bought a video iPod just so I could continue. (I don't have a TV at home, so the prospect of watching my shows is an excellent motivator to go to the gym.) I also do weights at the gym, but I don't enjoy it; it's just something I have to do to maintain my health, like brushing my teeth.

I enjoy hiking very much, and have started a C25K running program. But where I live now outdoor exercise is a winter activity. It is predicted to be 111 degrees today -- it's 8am and 87 degrees now -- so I am very happy for the air conditioned gym and its machines. The gym club and its fenced grounds are also pretty much the only place here in town where I can wear shorts and not be stared at, since in this country ladies do not go outside with their legs exposed.

Snoofie
05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I know a lot of people swear by treadmills, but I can't stand them. I think it's because you're walking and walking and walking and walking....and you haven't actually gone anywhere. Walk ten miles on a treadmill, and end up in exactly the same spot you were in when you started; walk ten miles outside, and you've got scenery and actual progress.

It might just be me, but I find the treadmill boring as **** and it actually drags me down more than motivating me to do more. I like ellipticals, but there's only one gym here in town and I can't afford to join, so I guess I'm "stuck" with walking.

fitness4life
05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Same contest at work - I had to ride the bike, row and do elliptical for ten minutes a piece.

If it weren't for a friendly client beside me keeping me entertained, I'd say it was the most worthless form of exercise. According to the machines, I burned 35 calories on the bike, 45 on the row, and the elliptical did not calculate my calories.

I figured the coffee I drank after doing that put the calories right back in.

I guess my point today is if you're truly serious about weight loss, put in your all and mix it up with weights and make sure your working hard enough. Otherwise, it's such a waste of time! I bet I burned more vaccuuming when I got home!

SouthLake
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Exercise videos and wii fit games. Can't stand them. Blech. I also hate walking on the treadmill (though running is okay) and recumbent bikes. Those things suck! Oddly enough, I'll never ride the stationary bike at the gym, but I have one at home that I'll ride while watching TV.

My favorites are snowshoeing and kayaking (though I don't get to do those anymore), the elliptical, and rowing. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a gym with a rowing machine in a long time, so I will probably buy my own. I used to row A LOT in highschool, and had the kind of arms and back strangers would stop to compliment me for. sigh. I miss those days!

SBD Sass
05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Why/how anyone does step classes is beyond me - I've tried several types over the years and hated them all! I have the co-ordination of a baby giraffe!!!

I can't explain why..maybe 'cuz it's fun and it's a great workout w/o having to do high school pe exercises instead...but I love step aerobics. I only step with Cathe Friedrich though because it's not too much - not so dancey and complicated.

Cali Doll
05-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I much prefer all strength training (machines and free weights) over cardio. Having said that, I've been doing much more cardio than strength lately.

I really like the treadmill (w/ tv please). I usually walk at a brisk pace like 3.3 w/ a crazy high incline like 9.5. I also like running outside but for some reason I allow myself to stop and walk when I'm outside. I don't allow that on the treadmill.

I also dance as a hobby and I ride my hybrid bicycle on the trails near my home.

I hate the exercise bike and the elliptical (both hurt me - my butt or my feet). It's funny - I get that annoying pedaling-but-not-going-anywhere feeling on the exercise bike but I don't feel like that on the treadmill. I wonder why that is.

RRB2
05-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Funny, I hate the treadmill - but I also hate walking for exercise - I need to go somewhere! from point A to point B :)
I love lifting, Turbo Jam and my upright exercise bike with Ifit - I can do it all while the baby is asleep and it's 90+ degrees outside.

calluna
05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't care for elliptical or stair climbers. I can tolerate the stationary bike, particularly with a movie on although music will do too.

Enjoy weights, love hiking, biking and swimming, and accept running as a necessary evil for my chosen sport. Although I *did* manage to enjoy a run yesterday, so it is possible that I will love it more as my running base continues to improve.

Aclai4067
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
i hate longer runs on the treadmill. Soemthing about it just completely mentally defeats me. I've found that for me, it's best to use the treadmill for speed intervals and outdoors for longer runs.