100 lb. Club - Share one tip that helps you succeed.

anawhatsme
05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
i find yogurt staves off hunger very well for little cost (as in points or calories).
if i feel hungry and have little points left, that's what i go for.
it helps to keep me on plan.

Nola Celeste
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
My favorite tip, which I picked up here at 3FC:

No meal is complete without a vegetable or fruit.

I don't always live up to that, but I've gotten pretty good at working the veggies in almost all the time now. It gives my meals more variety, better nutritional balance, and more volume without adding a lot of calories. I also find that adding stuff to my daily diet is a much more enjoyable process than subtracting stuff.

I'm not losing a cupcake, I'm gaining asparagus! :D

geoblewis
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Removing the obstacles to success. I put on my workout gear first thing every morning. I have removed all temptation from my pantry and refrigerator. And I restocked it with food that's simple and quick to prepare thats on my plan. I stow my purse in the trunk so it's not easy to do drive-thru. I take alternate routes around town for the same reason. I don't go to the store hungry. I don't go out to restaurants more than once a month. I don't drink alcohol when I go out.

It took me forever to figure out what all the obstacles were. It's everything that provides me with a mindless route to making poor eating choices.

anawhatsme
05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
great ideas, georgia.

i'd also like to add - tracking what i eat also helps me succeed for sure.

raebeaR
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I finally figured out it's not a diet -- it's a LIFESTYLE. Which means it has to fit with my LIFE.

In keeping with this new-found tool, I settle for losing more slowly but being able to live my life the way I live it. I follow South Beach but gently, and nothing is off-limits or a "cheat." I simply plan for it. This includes a daily glass of wine, because that's part of my LIFESTYLE.

I go out; I go to parties; I have friends over to dinner; I celebrate birthdays and holidays. But I'm choosy and I ALWAYS count calories. I'm losing at the rate of about 8 pounds per month.

I can finally see myself doing this forever.

JamiSue3916
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Ana -- Yogurt is a great treat. Thanks for the reminder! I always add a little Fiber One Original to mine to add a little more substance.

Nola -- That is a GREAT rule and something I've implemented in my journey as well.

Georgia -- Wow! You are quite an inspiration! I REALLY love the purse in the trunk idea. Fast food was a big issue for me so I can definitely appreciate that specific trick.

RaebeaR -- :listen: Boy did my ears perk up to this one! What a key truth this is!

For me, the real trick was finally admitting this was a choice. That I had been choosing to be fat along - so now I'm choosing differently. Other than that, I just identified and now avoid my old pitfalls like the plague! (e.g., fast food, snacks, soda)

TraceyElaine
05-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. I eat a healthy breakfast and it sets the pace for the day. If it doesn't then at least my breakfast was healthy.

caryesings
05-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Beating binging habit BEFORE I attempted weight loss.

Jonesie
05-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I would like to second a couple tips that have already been posted...

TRACK your calories! It was shocking to see how much I was eating when I was just tracking my daily intake before I decided to "diet".

Its not a diet! I go off plan all the time it seems because... my life is the plan. I make adjustments if I plan to have an extravagant meal.

Now for my one realization that was a huge eye opener...

Skinny people cant "eat whatever they want" I always used to say my husband could eat whatever he wanted but thats not true! Sure he eats chips and cereal at bedtime but... not a whole bag, a handful. Not 2 bowls a night, every night. Just here and there.
My point is, he has a treat he doesnt all out binge which is what I would do to treat MYself.

chickalee
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry, I don't have a tip because I've only just really started but can I just say Jonesie, You look amazing, a lot younger and you don't look like the same woman. Well done to you!! :)

Toonses
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
raebeaR - I totally agree with you. I needed to change my lifestyle which also meant I needed to eat better, exercise and put myself first for a change. I have taken it one day at a time and have "taught" myself how to live my new life. I also include a glass of wine now and then, eat a few pieces of chocolate everyday, and go out for a burger once in a great while. I also set mini-goals when I need to push myself a bit. Nothing crazy, just a reasonable goal I know I can achieve. You just need time to get use to the new routine and give yourself that pep talk that you can do this, you can succeed.

Emme
05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Be patient. When I first started my journey I was losing 2 and 3 pounds a week. As I've become smaller, my weight loss every week has gone down. I used to freak out about it, but not anymore. Just be patient and know that weight loss will come as long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing.

InControl2Day
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Someone had this in their siggy and it was

"If hunger isn't the problem then food isn't the solution"

This helped me tremendously when I turned to food for comfort.

I have a lot of other tips but that one definitely stands out! Everyone has such fabulous tips though that I need to bookmark this thread :D

luckymommy
05-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I include protein at every meal and every snack. It helps keep my blood sugar steady. Breakfast contains no sugar at all...not even fruit. I'll have a hard boiled egg, string cheese and celery for example. I also don't go crazy with the workouts like I used to. I use exercise to rid my body of stress more than anything else. :)

GirlyGirlSebas
05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
My #1 tip is to keep it simple. I have 2-3 options for each daily meal and snack. I don't have to think about food or calories or what I'm going to eat too much. I just put myself on auto pilot.

Charms
05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't have to be perfect. I can allow myself small treats now and then and still be successfull.

Oh, and eating one bite of off plan food is NOT an excuse to go on a full binge.

Do it right 90% of the time and success happens :)

time2lose
05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Boy, it is hard to narrow this to "one" which caused me to really think about this but here it is:

Customize a plan that will work and be sustainable for ME. One size does not fit all.

NotTheCheat
05-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I can't hate myself thin(ner), the only way for me to move forward is to love myself. Negative and shaming motivation might work for some people, but it is a sure backfire for me.

Slim CB
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
This is not a diet...its a lifestyle change.

konfyoozed
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
my mindset that's helping me get through: every pound is a victory, celebrate!

it's so much easier for me to look at it as one pound at a time. than try to wrap my brain around the fact that even though i've lost 28, i've still got 107 to go. losing a pound is easy. i can do that at least once or twice a week. losing 107 is just really scary and makes me want to eat cake!

right now i'm super uber focused on losing down to 269.9 so i can claim i escaped the title of 'morbidly obese'... 2.2 pounds doesn't seem all that scary either.

Trazey34
05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I got rid of the all-or-nothing mentality, either i was eating nuts & twigs and starving, or shoving food in my face like a linebacker LOL there was no in between! Either I was on a diet, or it was a free for all, so I stopped that :)

And my inner child was a spoiled demanding brat about food - if the idea popped into my head, I acted on it. Only with food. Never saw a $500 purse and bought it withoug thought, just stupid food. So I beat that little inner child into submission!

anawhatsme
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
these are great tips.
thanks for sharing.
and don't feel limited to one - share as many as you want.

Bloesem
05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Phew, there were a lot for me too..
The ones that made the most change, some of which have already been said;
- Lose the all or nothing approach. When I used to diet, after messing up one day, only one day, I would just let it go. I had disappointed myself and would comfort (and punish) myself by eating chips and chocolate and fries, just unhealthy foods. Which would make me even more disappointed. Vicious circle I have been in since I was 12. Now I rarely 'mess up' anymore, but in the beginning, when I did, the next day was a new day, and I hoisted myself back on track.
- There are no limits to my diet. I can have anything I want, as long as I make sure I stay within my calorie limit, or only go over a bit.
- I'm an emotional eater, so when I find myself longing for food (the longing is always for the fatty salty chocolaty food, never do I crave a carrot -.-') I stop and ask myself 'am I hungry?' And most of the time the answer will be 'No'. And then I ask myself, 'then what are you hungry for'? It's confronting, but it's helped me.
- I keep using the word diet, but I see it merely as a word for eating schedule. This is my new way of eating. Not a temporary change.
- Exercising has really grown on me. I used to absolutely despise it. Now, when I don't exercise 5 times a week, it doesn't sit right with me. It's a way for me to be proud of myself. Everytime I acclompish a fitness goal I have never been able to, or pushed myself further then I thought I could(in a you can do it! kinda way, not in a if you stop now you are weak kind of way), I feel that pride and love for myself. Pride and love are so much more powerful than shame and punishment ever were.
- Most important; BELIEVE you can do it. That you earn it. That you are worth it. Although that's easier said then done.
There is more, but I can't think of them right now.

I hope my english isn't annoyingly bad!

fattymcfatty
05-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I got rid of the all-or-nothing mentality, either i was eating nuts & twigs and starving, or shoving food in my face like a linebacker LOL there was no in between! Either I was on a diet, or it was a free for all, so I stopped that :)

This so resonates with me. That was why every time I had tried before, I failed. I'd get down to 205 or 210 and gve up. Because I had enough of the nuts and twigs. Yes people, you can eat a lot of high quality food and lose weight!

Also, I do not eat one piece of chocolate cake or something off plan and then use my slip up as an excuse to simply throw in the towel. Small transgression, right back on plan.

Ookpik
05-12-2011, 10:31 PM
For me, I have to have music. If I'm doing a DVD workout, I turn the tv on "mute" and blast my music. It makes me more likely to complete the workout than if I listen to the instructor. If I go for a walk or jog, I make sure I have my iPod with me (I once cut a walk short when my iPod died after I had forgotten to charge it) and I switch up the tunes occasionally. Music motivates me...to do other things besides exercise, like housework. I have always loved music though....my mother once figured I would someday wind up working in the music industry, which never happened, unfortunately.

anawhatsme
05-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Phew, there were a lot for me too..
The ones that made the most change, some of which have already been said;
- Lose the all or nothing approach. When I used to diet, after messing up one day, only one day, I would just let it go. I had disappointed myself and would comfort (and punish) myself by eating chips and chocolate and fries, just unhealthy foods. Which would make me even more disappointed. Vicious circle I have been in since I was 12. Now I rarely 'mess up' anymore, but in the beginning, when I did, the next day was a new day, and I hoisted myself back on track.
- There are no limits to my diet. I can have anything I want, as long as I make sure I stay within my calorie limit, or only go over a bit.
- I'm an emotional eater, so when I find myself longing for food (the longing is always for the fatty salty chocolaty food, never do I crave a carrot -.-') I stop and ask myself 'am I hungry?' And most of the time the answer will be 'No'. And then I ask myself, 'then what are you hungry for'? It's confronting, but it's helped me.
- I keep using the word diet, but I see it merely as a word for eating schedule. This is my new way of eating. Not a temporary change.
- Exercising has really grown on me. I used to absolutely despise it. Now, when I don't exercise 5 times a week, it doesn't sit right with me. It's a way for me to be proud of myself. Everytime I acclompish a fitness goal I have never been able to, or pushed myself further then I thought I could(in a you can do it! kinda way, not in a if you stop now you are weak kind of way), I feel that pride and love for myself. Pride and love are so much more powerful than shame and punishment ever were.
- Most important; BELIEVE you can do it. That you earn it. That you are worth it. Although that's easier said then done.
There is more, but I can't think of them right now.

I hope my english isn't annoyingly bad!

your english is fine and i get every single point you made!
...even the exercising one.
i could have written this myself.

milmin2043
05-13-2011, 04:10 AM
I don't drink my calories. At all. I like to chew my calories. So much more satisfying.