Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Even calorie distribution?

Hey chicks, wondering if you more seasoned calorie counters can help me out. I've just been given a daily calorie limit by my weight loss group, and it's 1600 per day. I was just worrying a little about fair distribution of those calories throughout the day, as until now on my 'diet' I haven't been counting so much as trying to be sensible. Like, how many should I aim to spend on breakfast, lunch, dinner? That sort of thing? Thanks in advance for any help!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

I have a similar limit (1650) and this is what I was told to aim for by my dietitian. I actually routinely have a breakfast that's 300 cals or less.

350 Breakfast
400 Lunch
500 Dinner
200 Snack 1
200 Snack 2

Other things that makes this distribution comfortable.

No carbs without protein i.e I generally have eggwhites or greek non fat yogurt for breakfast but the other day I had a starbucks bran muffin with a short (8 oz) steamed nonfat milk.

5 Grams of fiber per meal

The calorie distribution is the number one thing that I needed the most help with- I had no idea how to budget calories. I shuffle calories around a little bit but I find when I stick to this I am happiest.
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #3  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I think it depends on how you generally eat. For me, I'd rather have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and generally don't have breakfast. I will have a snack around 11 am. Lunch in generally light and then dinner is the bulk of my calories.

Also, my snacks, if I have them are generally small. Laughing cow cheese wedge with celery sticks or radishes (50 cals). Low fat yogurt cup (60 cals)
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think this is a very personal decision, and I believe there's no right answer. Some people like lots of little meals, some prefer a traditional meal structure. As long as you stay within those 1600 calories, how you distribute them throughout the day won't matter. I don't know how your plan is structured, but I would further say that eating 1200 calories one day and 2000 the next will still yield you the same results as eating 1600 daily.

There are tricks to helping you stay within your calorie limits. Don't let yourself get so hungry that you feel like you need to eat everything in sight. You can keep yourself feeling full longer between meals by eating plenty of fiber and protein. Until you get a sense of calorie counting, plan things ahead of time so you're not surprised AFTER you've eaten something at how calorie dense it is.

Good luck!
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

IMO, you can break it up however you want. Some people like huge breakfasts and are fine eating lightly for the rest of the day, while others enjoy eating huge dinners. Do what works for you and what you are comfortable with. There are some days when I am very hungry in the afternoon, so I'll eat a lot of calories between 1-4, but have a lighter dinner. It's just how your body decides it wants to work for that particular day!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #6  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmailjunkie View Post
<snip>
No carbs without protein i.e I generally have eggwhites or greek non fat yogurt for breakfast but the other day I had a starbucks bran muffin with a short (8 oz) steamed nonfat milk.
Whast does that mean?

Last edited by melissakd; 05-11-2011 at 09:49 AM.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I agree that it's pretty different from individual to individual, and most people need to experiment over time to figure out what works best for them. Weight loss, in my experience, has been very much an adventure in being an "experiment of one"!

Personally, I tried the mini-meal thing and hated it. I would much rather eat 3 good-sized meals with an afternoon snack than graze throughout the day. Part of this is physical (I like feeling hungry, and I like feeling full) and part of it is psychological (once my "graze" button has been activated, it is VERY difficult for me to turn it off, which leads to overeating for me).

Try stuff out for a while. See what you like and don't like. And remember, even if your weight loss group gives you advice, you don't have to take it. They're not in your body, YOU are. So make the best choices for you. After all, the best weight loss program is whichever one you stick with.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote