Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/189/120

Height: 5'1"

Default Off to a rocky start!

Well, I've been eating very sensibly for the past week, and am happy to report that I've walked 2 miles a day every other day for about the past week, too--even mixed a bit of jogging in there this morning. BUT there was this leftover chocolate peanut butter egg (a big one) in the fridge...I managed to eat half of it before I summoned the will power to stop. A bit frustrated with myself, to be sure. Sooo....I've decided to throw away the remaining junk food in the fridge (including the ice cream and frozen cheesecake in the freezer) to help me get over this sugar withdrawal I seem to be struggling with. Hubby eats a lot of sweets; he even brought home a frozen custard from Rita's for me last night and I stuck it right in the freezer, not wanting to throw it out in front of him; he meant so well! It's all going in the garbage now! And, I think I'll make myself feel a little better about my splurge by walking two more miles this evening.

Anyone have any tips on how to overcome a major sweet tooth?
Claire25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Sounds to me like you're doing great! What's this rocky start you're talking about?

Seriously, half a peanut butter egg is a pretty minor setback. And congrats to you for STOPPING. Great work.

I think the sweet tooth solutions come in two camps. Some people feel that sweets are just a trigger food for them and if they have a little they'll just want more, and therefore draw a very hard line and don't allow themselves any sweets. Other people think that completely depriving themselves will eventually drive them over the deep end and therefore allow themselves portion controlled sweets from time to time. You'll have to decide what works best for you. I guess there's probably a third camp that goes the sugar-free route to get the sweets without the calories.

I'm in the second camp. I like sweets and don't want to tell myself "never." This weekend I had two treats, a cupcake on Saturday, and strawberries with whipped cream on Sunday, which was probably a bit overboard, but I'm not very often in situations where that will happen.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? They sell some fabulous chocolate that uses a sugar alcohol as opposed to real sugar. Tastes good and is definitely a "healthy" means of satisfying your sweet tooth.

I am currently on a high-protein diet that has a lot of meal replacement items. The meal bars and cookies and tasty and sweet, but satisfying as they are packed with protein. They do have carbs, but often this comes from fiber more than sugar, and is counterbalanced by how much fiber is in them. I find that they don't spark my cravings the way a normal candy bar would. If you're interested, I can tell you the name.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote