Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Confessions of a Calorie Counter

So, I have a confession...

Sometimes, later in the evening, when I have a bunch of unused calories left over, I will eat something candy-like to get my calories within range.

See, I am calorie frugal. Today I knew I was going to be having a special dinner, and that it would go well over my usual dinner calories, so I was just a little light for the rest of the day to make up for it. So by the time dinner was said and done, I still had to catch up by SIX HUNDRED calories! Unfortunately, times like tonight, when I am tired, and nothing thinking clearly, is when I turn to sugary treats to make up the calories. In hindsight I could have had some cheese as a quick chunk of calories.

By the way, I didn't have 600 calories in candy, I did however have about 300 calories worth.

Do you have any confessions?
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

OhMyDogs, I am calorie frugal too and work very much the same way. After dinner I usually still need a few hundred calories, and frequently need fat as well. I usually go for a sweet treat (skinny cow, a vitalicious muffin/brownie, or a berry smoothie) and sometimes nuts for the fat.

I actually like that I plan my day this way, as I get to snack/graze in the evenings without any guilt at all, and despite being calorie frugal during the day I almost never feel hungry.

Oh, and I forgot to make my own confession. I don't drink often, but when I'm at a social event at which I have alcohol (probably about once every 6 weeks on average), I tend to drink a bunch - 4 or 5 drinks over the course of the evening, usually wine. Because I don't want to go over my calorie limit, I severely restrict my food for the day to allow for the alcohol calories. I'll eat only 600-800 calories and drink the rest. Not particularly healthy, lol, but given that I don't do it often I don't worry about it too much. I told my nutritionist and she just laughed, so I think it's fine as long as it's only an occasional thing.

Last edited by chickadee32; 05-09-2011 at 03:02 AM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

Height: 5'1

hahaha I do the same, I am good all day, but I have one treat a day. All day I can look forward to my treat. It isn't a big treat, last night was 3 small choc covered pretzels. Before starting this I used to sabo myself by binging and then I would give up. This seems to have stopped the binging.
IAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I spend all the "extra" calories on frozen peanut m&m's. If I can't have my peanut m&m's, I'm more likely to binge on something else like cookies or other junk. So I always keep a small windo for that splurge on a daily basis. I'll eat about 10 of them. They are SO good!

On days that I have several calories left over, I'll eat more just to compensate for them. It's not the best/healthiest, but it keeps me in line.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to make my own confession. I don't drink often, but when I'm at a social event at which I have alcohol (probably about once every 6 weeks on average), I tend to drink a bunch - 4 or 5 drinks over the course of the evening, usually wine. Because I don't want to go over my calorie limit, I severely restrict my food for the day to allow for the alcohol calories. I'll eat only 600-800 calories and drink the rest. Not particularly healthy, lol, but given that I don't do it often I don't worry about it too much. I told my nutritionist and she just laughed, so I think it's fine as long as it's only an occasional thing.
This is something I would totally do, however my drinks of choice are fruity girly drinks. Fortunately for me, I am a 2 drink drunk...honestly I don't drink over 2-3 drinks, I just can't handle it. Also, fortunately for me, I found a 70 calorie marguerita recipe, which will be fantastic when it's hot. 3 of those will only be 210 calories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamvixen View Post
On days that I have several calories left over, I'll eat more just to compensate for them. It's not the best/healthiest, but it keeps me in line.
I do this as well. I have been known to eat just a serving (or sometimes 2) of peanut butter as a quick calorie boost to help me get into my proper caloric range. My ultimate goal is always "get into my calorie range". Probably not the healthiest way to look at it. There have been a few days where I just said "to heck with it" and gone to bed short. But I think that's ok to do once in a while, it helps keep your body guessing at what's coming (at least that's what I would suspect).
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #6  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

OhMyDogs, this is way off topic but your signature made me literally LOL! Do you know that it says Harry Potty challenge and not Harry Potter?? My first thought was "ew, Hairy Potty??" and then I realized what it was supposed to be. Thanks for the giggle this am.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
OhMyDogs, this is way off topic but your signature made me literally LOL! Do you know that it says Harry Potty challenge and not Harry Potter?? My first thought was "ew, Hairy Potty??" and then I realized what it was supposed to be. Thanks for the giggle this am.

LMAO I actually had no clue...lmao shows how observant I am!! Ok...off I go to fix that!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #8  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I do this too!! I'm so glad I'm not alone. Or if like, I know what my calories are going to be for dinner, because I'm making it and its all portioned out, I will have like, a snack right after work.

It helps me stay on track... it's okay.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

I know this probably isn't what you meant to do... but I had 580 calories spare from my 1200 calories today.... and you've inspired me to use some of it with icecream. :P THANKS. Lol. Just kidding. I'm loving it....
Hmm... Now I've got another 460 calories... what to do with them... :P

EDIT: Turns out I knew what to do with the other 460 calories. I ate the rest of the vienetta. :S

But I am worried that I don't want to have too little calories. That's no good either. Well that's what I'm telling myself. :P

Last edited by cantgetenoughchoc; 05-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #10  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

My confession is that I have found that a sugar free chocolate candy at the end of the day is so heavenly. each piece is individually wrap which help me stick to one, rather than the 3 listed as a serving size. This is weird, because normally I don't care much for sweets. I am not tempted to eat more than one and with a cup of evening coffee I really just love the treat. It is calculated into my calorie plan, so it's not like it is forbidden, but I had not intended to include a sweet daily when I first started my diet. Somehow, at this midpoint, I am finding it to be a lovely thing.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyDogs View Post
This is something I would totally do, however my drinks of choice are fruity girly drinks. Fortunately for me, I am a 2 drink drunk...honestly I don't drink over 2-3 drinks, I just can't handle it. Also, fortunately for me, I found a 70 calorie marguerita recipe, which will be fantastic when it's hot. 3 of those will only be 210 calories!
Ooh, can you share the recipe with us, please?? Sounds fantastic!

As for the original topic- I've done the same as some of the others posted- save up calories for a treat and/or alcohol and eat whatever just to get within range.
I did that 2 days ago with 2 servings of Hot Cheetos chips to do that (340 calories all counted for.) Eh, I figure it's ok once in a while.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Ooh, can you share the recipe with us, please?? Sounds fantastic!

As for the original topic- I've done the same as some of the others posted- save up calories for a treat and/or alcohol and eat whatever just to get within range.
I did that 2 days ago with 2 servings of Hot Cheetos chips to do that (340 calories all counted for.) Eh, I figure it's ok once in a while.

I got the recipe from SparkPeople and here it is:

Ingredients

1 can diet soda (Diet Sprite, Diet 7 UP, or Fresca)
1/8 cup lime juice
1 or 2 tubes Crystal Light Lemonade Mix-ins
About 10 ice cubes
2 oz tequila

Directions
Blend ingredients together and serve!

Number of Servings: 2

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 2
* Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 70.0

* Total Fat: 0.0 g
* Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
* Sodium: 19.3 mg
* Total Carbs: 1.3 g
* Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
* Protein: 0.1 g

For me, I don't save my calories up for a treat usually...typically, for me, I eat treats to catch up my calories. It's bad. I know it's bad. Last night I drank my calories LOL. They were tasty. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me that with some weight loss, my already low alcohol tolerance would go even lower! LOL Good thing I was just at home!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I like this margarita recipe:

2 parts 100% Agave Tequila.
1 part Agave Nectar
1 part lime juice (from freshly squeezed limes
1 part water (pure spring water would be best)

Mix. Poor over ice. Garnish with a slice of lime. Salt the glass…or not…as you prefer.

If you want it to be sparking, you can do seltzer or club soda instead of water. So refreshing!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I am fat because when I am "bad" 20% of the time, I easily consume 2-3 extra lbs worth of calories.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #15  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I ate easily over 5,000 calories yesterday which included Jamaican food takeout and 1 pint of baskin robbins rum raisin!!!!....and I LIKED IT!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote