General chatter - What supplements do you take and why?

dragonlady1978
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Just thinking about what else I might incorporate, I was curious to hear about what others take and what it's for, etc.

All I take right now is a multivitamin and cinnamon, the cinnamon helps with insulin resistance.

I'd particularly be interested in anything that could help with digestion or muscle/nerve function but any reason why you take something (what it does) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for reading, I'm open to any input.

Mmckellen
05-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I take a lot of supplements:
Omega 3 (for obvious reasons)
Magnesium (for nerve function and relaxation)
B complex (for mood and nerve function)
Vitamin D
Vitamin E (every other day)
Calcium
CoQ10 (for the brain)
Kelp (for my thyroid)

I don't take a multi.

Ferumbras
05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
My doctor recommended the following:

1. A general supplement (because I'm going on a very restrictive high-protein diet) that contains chromium to help metabolize sugar.

2. Fish oil to get omega-3 (I've begun to get varicose veins and it's been shown to help with circulation; it also helps reduce blood pressure and generally is good for your cardio-vascular health)

3. D3 to get D3 (the "sunshine" vitamin as I live in Oregon which doesn't get a lot of sun).

ryeb
05-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I just do the Multi Vitamin, so I am not much help. :(

ERHR
05-08-2011, 08:10 PM
my nutritionist has me on:

a multivitamin for the folic acid since I don't eat refined grains any more

a calcium + vitamin D supplement because I don't drink milk (all the sugar)

fish oil because my LDL is slightly high

CrystalZ10
05-09-2011, 02:12 AM
All I can take is the Viactive women's multi vitamen carmel chews. They are the only multi vitamen that doesn't contain iodine which I am allergic to. I also like E-mergenC berry flavored packets, cause they put a pep in my step with no side effects.

FitGirlyGirl
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
a multi because it's a good idea, especially when on a calorie restricted diet

a cinnamon and chromium combo for insulin resistance

B12 for energy and help with iron absorption

iron because I have anemia

calcium on the extremely rare occasions that I don't get 100% RDA from my food

I'm thinking of adding fish oil

murphmitch
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Fish oil
Vitamin D
Calcium
Multivitamin
Probiotics

CanadianCutie
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
A multivitamin
Lutien (for eye health)
D3 (I find it really helps with general wellbeing/energy)
And I would consider this in supplements, benefiber (or similar). I don't take it every day, but every couple days.

dragonlady1978
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the input :)

I bought some fish oil this morning, the bottle says it doesn't leave an aftertaste. I'd tried it a while back and belching up fishy yuck (sorry TMI) was horrible.

I have heard of a cinnamon chromium combo pill helping people with PCOS but I checked at Walmart and couldn't find this. Does it matter if they are taken separately? Or can someone give me a name brand/merchant?

I might add some vitamin D too. It's in my multi but I haven't drunk milk since I was old enough to have a choice and don't spend much time outside so it's very possible I'm lacking.

ERHR
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
My nutritionist very specifically told me to buy "odorless" fish oil. I had to look at two stores before I found a bottle that said that specifically. I haven't experienced any fishy tastes/smells or burps.

Chubbykins
05-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I take a special vegetarian Multivitamin with minerals. I need it since I don't get iron from meat anymore and too little vitamin b12.
It is good for everyone that doesn't get enough iron, not only vegetarians. And most women have iron deficiency without knowing it.

DixC Chix
05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I take a multi vitamin + mineral, 600 calcium with D, 82mg aspirin, fish oil, chondroitin/glucosamine, SAM-e, GABA, CoQ10.

I eat greek yogurt almost every morning. It aids in digestion with all the probiotic bacteria in it. I use cinnamon liberally in pumpkin pudding which I also have almost every morning.

Now I want to check into chromium.

FitGirlyGirl
05-09-2011, 04:07 PM
dragonlady - The Cinnamon + Chromium I take is made by Spring Valley, the green bottle with yellow labels and caps. I get it from Wal-Mart. It comes in a "twin pack" with 180 capsules per bottle. The label says in large letters "Cinnamon 1000 mg" then smaller under that it says "Plus Chromium". You can take them separately and they will work the same, it's just cheaper and easier to get the combo pill if you can find it.

georgeshair
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I started taking a multivitamin capsule with probiotics several years ago, because I was constantly getting colds and the flu and needing time off work. I read that probiotics can boost the immune system, so decided to give them a try. They've been marvellous - I've had far fewer colds and other absences since I started taking them.

FrouFrou
05-09-2011, 06:28 PM
When I remember to I take a multi, calcium and potassium and once in a while folic acid...really need to work on taking them daily

Gogirl008
05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
A multi
Calcium w/D
Iron (I tend to be low)
Fish oil
Glucosamine/chondroitin

I rarely get them all in everyday. It's more than I'd like to take on top of prescriptions, but I feel like they each have benefits.

dragonlady1978
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
dragonlady - The Cinnamon + Chromium I take is made by Spring Valley, the green bottle with yellow labels and caps. I get it from Wal-Mart. It comes in a "twin pack" with 180 capsules per bottle. The label says in large letters "Cinnamon 1000 mg" then smaller under that it says "Plus Chromium". You can take them separately and they will work the same, it's just cheaper and easier to get the combo pill if you can find it.

Thanks!

I didn't see this at my local walmart but I found it on the website and it had free shipping to home ;)

saef
05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Vitamin D
Calcium

Because my doctor told me to.

amandie
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Currently- adult gummy multivitamins, potassium gluconate and vanilla calcium "chewies" (these sorta remind me of vanilla tootsie rolls.)

Potassium because last summer, I had the WORST constant cramp in my calf ever that lasted almost 2 weeks, ugh. Nothing worked until I started taking the tablets. Multivitamins and calcium chewies mostly for prevention in case I'm not getting what I need from my diet.

MonteCristo
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I take a regular multi vitamin and acai berry. I don't expect miracle weight loss from the acai, I just use it as an antioxidant.

jules1216
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Alive brand multi vitamin with iron and an extra Vitamin d for these last rainy dark months...when I can get more real sunshine I may drop it till late fall...

Spirulina,ashwagandha,pycnogenal and chorella for energy, mental alertness and immunity support...2010 was a rough year for me trying to bounce back, they seem to be helping..

Also trying coconut oil for energy..I am not a breakfast person so I do a chocolate protien shake with the spirulina and chlorella powders and a tablespoon of coconut oil...the spirulina powder makes it green

oh...also have liquid b that I take under the tongue after lunch...

kateleestar
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Every morning I take a vitamin D, 2 vitamin B's and 2 vitamin C's. I know I'm taking 1K of C, but I completely forget the rest, lol. I think the D is like, 300? Who knows. But I take them. I can't take a multi to save my life, it makes me want to hurl every. single. time. EW.

amandie
05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Katelee- That's why I take the gummy multivitamins because the regular multivitamins make me sick even taking half before breakfast and after, etcetc, ugh.

Emmy1979
05-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I take:

Multivitamin
B Complex
Vit. C
Vit. D
Krill oil

I definitely feel better when I am taking them regularly. I finally got a weekly pill box and refill it every Sunday, that way I can just take them quickly.

Munchy
05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
AM:
Food-based multivitamin
Lysine
echinacea
vitamin c
D3
probiotics
Super B complex

PM:
Lysine
echinacea
vitamin c
probiotics
fish oil
calcium

My nutritional therapist and doctors recommended all of this after a bout with immune system disorders.
I've been on it for a year and never felt better.

Munchy
05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I can't take a multi to save my life, it makes me want to hurl every. single. time. EW.

I am the same way with the synthetic vitamins. After trying for years and mentioning it to my doctor (she recommended just trying more brands) I finally googled vitamins for a sensitive stomach and ended up with food-based vitamins. I take Rainbow Light (http://www.rainbowlight.com) and never threw up again.

MonteCristo
05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I can't take a multi to save my life, it makes me want to hurl every. single. time. EW.

Have you tried taking them later in the day? I can't take vitamins in the morning either, so I started taking them in the afternoon with my snack...works perfectly.

RiverWind
05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I take a multivitamin. In fact I just started on a new one that I found. It is called Nature's Way Alive Women's Energy. It has extra B vitamins and stuff to help boost your energy. I get lethargic a lot because of my ToM issues.

I also take 5-HTP. It promotes positive mood, helps control appetite, and helps to increase serotonin.

I mostly follow a low carb diet but if I run into times that might get me in trouble (eating out, eating at a friends house, or if I'm just being bad) I use Carb Intercept. It helps control carbs that are in the form of breads and pasta and other starch type foods. These were a godsend over the xmas holidays! lol!

SweetScrumptious
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm going to start taking fish oil as I do not eat fish! I feel this is a good way for me to get the omega-3s. I'll prob go to Costco in a month (when I can use my mom's membership) and get a big bottle.

SweetScrumptious
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Cinnamon with chromium - is it beneficial to take if you are not diabetic/have PCOS? I have neither but it sounds like something I would be interested in supplementing.... ?

raebeaR
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm older than a lot of you, so probably take more supplements.

Multi-vitamin (general health)
Fish oil (heart)
ibuprofen (joint pain/arthritis)
baby aspirin (heart)
glucosomine/chondroitin (joint)
calcium (bones)
cranberry extract (prevents UTIs)
slippery elm (creates, ummm, moisture, which can be a problem for us oldies)

Munchy
05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
slippery elm (creates, ummm, moisture, which can be a problem for us oldies)

LMAO - My grandmother came to visit and told me the exact same thing. :o She's hilarious!

raebeaR
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
LOL, Munchy, what a cool grandmother you have!!! She's right; it really works!!

Another good reason to take slippery elm -- which is actually the reason I first started taking it -- is that it lubricates the entire digestive tract. For people who suffer from divertriculitis, this can be hugely important. I don't suffer from it -- but I don't want to, either!!

Also helps with constipation, from which I also don't suffer, but I sure can tell the difference when I take my slippery elm and when I don't.

Rainbowgirl
05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I've recently started taking a once a day multivitamin (One-A-Day) and a cranberry pill to help prevent UTIs (which I don't get very often) and hopefully help with water retention (which is a problem for me).

Serval87
05-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Um, I don't take any kind of vitamin. I'm confused as to what to take. I was going to make a thread asking what minimally I should take, but I saw this, and decided to post it in. I mostly eat bad, but have been incorporating more veggies and fruits and whole grains. I eat spinach every day, and most days I eat Greek Yogurt. My husband doesn't take any either. Should we take the same?

amandie
05-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Avery- It's up to you. I just take them for prevention mostly because I don't always eat "clean" and don't always eat enough fruits/veggies some weeks, y'know? Meh.