Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 338/ticker/150ish

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Frustration with my anxiety/weight loss

I'm new here so I hope you all will forgive me for venting so soon. Just feeling frustrated. I have both depression and anxiety. The anxiety recently has really started to be overwhelming with nothing but physical effects all day long (was on meds, and the 2 I've recently tried gave me chest pains, so back to the dr I go on Monday). I wrote in more detail in a post in the introduction forum a few days ago, so I wont go into it all again here, but I'm so ready to get back into trying to lose weight (especially reading all the inspiring and motivating posts here) but I just don't have the energy or ability to keep my motivation, and I just don't physically feel well at all from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. I'm just so frustrated. And I just needed to vent. I want my life back in so many ways.

Last edited by cherokee21; 05-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
cherokee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #2  
Captain of Cool

S/C/G: 205/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

Well, first, welcome to the boards!

Secondly, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly. I've been there before. I wish there were something more motivating or helpful to say, but all I can say is that "this, too, shall pass." Hopefully, the next meds your doctor gives you will react better with your body. I'm always willing to listen, so PM me if you need to talk.
PicklesThePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Welcome, and good luck. I dealt with anxiety and depression years ago when I was just out of college. I hyperventilated, had heart palpitations, racing pulse, etc. I was on meds for about a year. A really good therapist taught me how to deal with it, and I have been able to handle many crises since that time, also going with the, "this, too, shall pass." I also had to learn to deal with my ANTs...anxious, negative thoughts........by redirecting my thoughts....there is not sense in worrying about something you have no control over.....there is no sense worrying about things you are afraid might happen....and so on.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you tried exercise?

I have struggled with episodic depression and moderate to severe anxiety since my teens. The only thing that controls my anxiety (except for a few "breakthrough" type triggers that are always going to make me anxious no matter what) is exercise. Regular, fairly heavy, heart-pounding cardio. If I feel myself start to panic, I get my heartrate up. Of course, it's the last thing I WANT to do when I'm feeling freaked out, but I do it because I know that it works.

My theory (based solely on personal experience, not any in-depth research) is that doing cardio both burns off nervous energy (which helps with my anxiety-related insomnia) AND gives me a calming effect from my heart rate going down afterward. It's almost as though my body feels my heart rate coming down from the exercise and says "OK, it's fine to slow my heart rate now".

There is a biological basis for using cardio to reduce depression and anxiety symptoms. A good 40 min+ workout raises your "happy hormones" (specifically serotonin and endorphins), and may keep them elevated for a day or two. And if you're anything like me, the better sleep you get from a solid workout routine will improve your symptoms by itself.

I know when you're anxious and overwhelmed, it feels IMPOSSIBLE to start a fitness routine, but really, it can help!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 338/ticker/150ish

Height: 5' 6.5"

Thanks everyone. I'm really hoping whatever meds I get on Monday will help. I have really been trying to re-focus my thoughts when these anxiety/panic attacks happen. I have tried exercise, not in my worst "episodes", but overall, but it is hard sometimes because the anxiety causes me to feel lightheaded and weak a lot. The last 2 times I really pushed myself physically, the next day was horrible anxiety wise.
cherokee21 is offline   Reply With Quote