Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

Default Ice tea...

Im so lost. Im starting my kit on monday (new week fresh start) and ive been looking over the books and info sent to me. Ive always drank ice tea. We brew it in a coffee pot 7 bags to a pitcher with 1 cup of sugar. But this isnt listed in any of the information only the premade mixes...can anyone give me some insight on this points wise? ive always been a tea junkie...just not ready to throw it out the door...if it helps its Food Lion brand black tea.
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Well 1cup of sugar is 22 points. So you would have to figure out how many servings you get out of the pitcher and divide the 22 points into that.

To me, that 22 is a scary enough number to either cut down on the sugar, or switch to unsweetened tea completely. I can't justify drinking points, so I drink unsweetened tea or sugar free lemonaid.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #3  

what about using a different sweetener like truvia or splenda or even equal would that change things? I love the taste of my tea...but i just cant cut it cold turkey yet
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

1 serving of artificial sweetner is 0 points but i aws quickly looking. one pound of it is 44points. 3oz is 3 points. So its not 0 the whole way
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You could brew the tea plain and sweeten each glass as you drink it.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #6  

thats an idea...i really hadnt thought about doing it that way...the most obvious things you never think about i suppose lol
Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

When I was drinking sweet tea, I used 3/4 c sugar in my gallon container. Then I figured out approximately how many glasses I could get out of a gallon using my standard drinking glasses. I was calorie counting at that point and I think that it was about 110 calories per glass or something close to that. The easiest thing to do on WW would be to figure out how many servings you can get out of your tea container and then divide the cup of sugar into that many servings. If you use standard size cups (about 12 ounces) and you make 1 gallon of tea, you would be able to get roughly 10 glasses of tea per gallon. So, 1 cup of sugar in 1 gallon of tea divided into 10 servings is 2 pts per serving of sweet tea.

Personally, it didn't take me very long to get tired of drinking my calories/points and I switched to unsweet tea. It was NOT easy! I am a southern girl and sweet tea is a way of life! After about a month, I stopped missing sweet tea. Now I can't stand if someone serves me sweet when I ordered unsweet tea because it tastes so syrupy to me~
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198.2/183.8/148

Height: 5 feet

Something to think about: I had a grandmother in law who had that southern addiction to sweet tea. Her health was bad, and we suspected she wasn't eating properly. It turns out she was mostly subsisting on sweetened tea! The sugar took care of her hunger, and she would never get around to eating real food. Chase 1984, I have noted you posting repeatedly on different threads about your huge desire to continue to drink your sweet tea. May I respectfully suggest you do some real soul-searching about this particular trigger food, and the role it has played in your being in a position to need to lose weight. Sweet tea is no different than drinking soda pop all day--it just is cheaper and without the bubbles! Taking in so many empty calories in liquid form kept Granny from eating properly, and it might be doing the same to you.
Try diet ice tea, then transition to unsweetened tea. Of course there is also the caffeine you are getting that you should think about. Too much caffeine is not good for many reasons...
Losing weight requires attention to detail, and a willingness to accept the fact that one cannot continue all the eating habits we have developed--that is why we gained weight. You must be emotionally and psychologically ready to embark on this journey or it will be difficult to be successful.
IMHO

Last edited by madamwu; 05-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.
madamwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #9  

OK i dont mean to be rude but...WOW! i have NOT repeatedly posted about my desire to drink sweet tea. This was the only thread. I cant just quit something cold turkey i have to ween myself off of it. Im well aware that i need to do some soul searching and i have been THANKS. But i dont think you can really say that that was my trigger for being as big as i am. You know nothing about what my past held. I was asking for advice not an attack.

I know what i have to do to change my life and im TRYING.

Last edited by chase1984; 05-13-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1984 View Post
OK i dont mean to be rude but...WOW! i have NOT repeatedly posted about my desire to drink sweet tea. This was the only thread. I cant just quit something cold turkey i have to ween myself off of it. Im well aware that i need to do some soul searching and i have been THANKS. But i dont think you can really say that that was my trigger for being as big as i am. You know nothing about what my past held. I was asking for advice not an attack.

I know what i have to do to change my life and im TRYING.
Hey Chase =)

I was reading over the posts and didn't notice anything that looked like an attack.

We all come from different walks of life, and most of us don't know anyone in person, so we give what advice we can based on what's written in the original post.

However, it's an open forum so we might not always get the advice we want or even advice that applies to our situation specifically. We might get a piece of a story that someone else has had to deal with in their life, and thought it might be something to share.

I see some posts with points about the tea. I see some light general advice. Nothing overtly offensive. I'm sorry that something triggered you feeling attacked in any way.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #11  

ill just shut up....now i feel like im in the wrong like i always have been. i dont recall posting anywhere else about tea (but my memory isnt fantastic either). Maybe im having a bad day......i dont know....sorry if i offended anyone :| its my fault

also the comment
"You must be emotionally and psychologically ready to embark on this journey or it will be difficult to be successful."
kind of upset me. If i wasnt ready i wouldnt be here trying. ive only been on ww 1 week now and like with my days of unfortunate drug use its going to take time to ween myself off of this in particular item. ive already totaly changed my thinking about other items but i still have weakness's other then tea...

like i said im sorry if i offended anyone...i guess im just sensitive because i get put down alot for not trying, or even for trying to better myself and i just felt like madamwu was completely comparing my life to someone elses without knowlege of my own battles............sorry to all......

Last edited by chase1984; 05-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

You know what?

I think it's amazing that you've chosen to take some steps towards being healthier.

I don't think you should get down on yourself. You're making great progress, AND I saw about your exercise in another post and think that's fantastic!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #13  

Thank you Lovely ive got stress going on and im trying to avoid it or ill make myself sick and sometimes i just get down on myself for no reason...st. johns wort is starting to help with that again...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

lol this has become quite an intense conversation about tea

The beauty about WW is you can have whatever you want, in moderation that is...so I say, drink your tea, whatever way you like it, but in moderation. Count the points, fit it in your day, and move on lol

It's tea people, not cocaine lol
nicoledg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #15  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoledg View Post
It's tea people, not cocaine lol
Lol! Very true. And if one day you choose to let it go fantastic! If not, work it in!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote