Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

Default New here, question about journaling for binge eating

I just registered on this site but have been reading everyone’s posts for about a week or so. Like all of you, I’ve realized that I have a problem with binge eating. I could go on to tell countless tales of my binges (and perhaps I will post on that particular thread later!) but I’ll spare the details in this post.

I recently talked to a therapist about my binge eating and she suggested I start a journal detailing not only my food, but my feelings around why I binged, how I felt afterwards etc. Has anyone kept a journal like this? Have you found it useful? I think I’m struggling most with the idea of identifying my feelings around my binges. I usually feel like I have no thoughts in my head whatsoever! But clearly something is driving me to binge, so I suppose it will just take practice?

I have gained 40 pounds in the last 18 months and it’s beyond frustrating. I have started working out regularly which feels good to be taking back some control but when I binge I just feel like it’s all for nothing! Thanks for listening!!
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/180/125

Height: 5'5

Im a newbie to so while I do not have much advice I do know first of all what it is like to put on a large amount of weight in a short amount of time (65lbs while preggo) and second of all I know that putting any feelings I have on paper is usually helpful (atleast for me). Not to mention that if you journal while wanting to binge it may curb the binge all together!
Good for you for taking control and working out! For me the working out has to come first and the eating right follows. You are on the right track and in the right place for support! Sorry if this is choppy and jumbled I'm about to head to bed but thought you deserved a reply good luck hope to "see you around"!
TrishG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I've never done it. I think it's a really good idea, though. Sometimes when I binge I have already given up on the concept of trying to control it - which is exactly why I am binging. But, there have been a few times where I consciously considered the binge, and that is when journaling would REALLY help.

I would be interested in hearing how it works for you and what you discovered about yourself. I posted a thread in general chatter the other day that was a little bit about this. I wondered if we took the time to figure out WHY we act unhealthy would that help us better with our weight loss. I mean, I'm pretty sure it would, right? If we know WHY we are unhealthy then we know how best to stop it and what to do to fix it.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I keep a food journal and I've tried this a few times. A little background, I'm using the 'hunger' method 'eat only when I'm hungry making wise choices and small portions, and stop eating when I'm full-ish'. {I don't use the word 'satisfied' because that is so rarely the case} I've done this before and it seems to work for me, both in losing weight and controlling my binging/emotional eating. So, what this means for me, is before I eat something I must be hungry, I choose what I want to eat carefully, and afterwards I write it down in my journal. Sometimes I will add short messages like 'was hungry', 'wasn't hungry' 'unhappy', 'bored' "ate way too much' just to let me know when I look back what was going on, and giving me a sense of accountability even after the fact.

Thinking about what I was feeling afterwards helps me understand and recongnize signs of a impending binge, so that I can try to understand and put a stop to the behaviors. Such as the other day, I started feeling 'nervous and antsy', I wasn't hungry, but knew that if I didn't do something a binge was coming so I was able to change my situation {getting involved in a project} to avoid the binge.

For my journal I use an empty spiral journal to record my food, exercise, to-do list, one page per day so I use two per year. I have never tried journalling my thoughts as a way to avoid the binge, but you might want to give it a try also.

Hope that makes some sense. If you give it a try let us know how it works for you.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 05-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for your replies. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. I like the suggestions you gave, patchwork. That is exactly the base I want to start and incorporate other things into as I figure out what works best for me.

It is also really refreshing to hear someone say they too started with exercise first and then eating seemed to follow later. Some people just don't understand how it can be so hard to change everything all at once!
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I have never journaled but i think it would be very useful, because i have been binging for many years and i am just now figuring out what my triggers are etc. I probably would have figured it out a lot earlier if i had journaled. Knowing what my triggers are doesn't ALWAYS prevent binging, but i think it does help a little bit.

There are still some things i am trying to figure out. Like, what foods i can keep in my house. I no longer keep chocolate or anything i will binge on that is very high calorie. I still keep lower calorie binge foods such as cereal. But i just don't think i can eliminate ALL binge foods from my house. I will always find SOMETHING to binge on.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #7  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I find that the food journal is sometimes enough to curb a binge. Knowing that I will have to write it down and see it in black and white throws the possibility of denial out the window, and it does make you think twice.

I've never done the other part, journaling my feelings with it. Boredom and complacence are my issue. If you don't know yours, though, I can see how that would be an extremely insightful exercise.

The only way to get better is to start somewhere and stick with it. The "somewhere" part isn't nearly as important as the "sticking with it" part.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #8  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
The only way to get better is to start somewhere and stick with it. The "somewhere" part isn't nearly as important as the "sticking with it" part.
I like this a lot!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #9  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

I am a newbie too! I love, love, love this site though, and actually think that between this forum and journaling, I have been binge free for 5 days, LOL.

I just started keeping a journal, and feel like it's helping a bunch. I was just keeping a journal of what I was eating and what exercise I did that day. But, it has now turned into a full-blown journal that I go to when I want to binge (before).

I hope it works for you, make sure to keep us updated!!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/~185/158

Height: 5'9"

Glad I read this thread. I'm new here and looking for encouragement and support for addressing my out-of-control eating. I am hoping to try journal writing as well as a food journal so I can figure out my "triggers".

Last edited by nikicf; 05-11-2011 at 11:44 PM.
nikicf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/241/135

Height: 5'5"

I do keep a journal every day. But, my primary tools for remaining abstinent are: 1. Above all else, a commitment to abstaining from binge eating and compulsive over-eating, not just some of the time, not just for a few months, but all of the time for the rest of my life. So far, I have 20 days of abstinence. 2. A daily food plan. I know this sounds like OA, but I don't do OA. In fact, I don't like OA. But my food plan is my roadmap to sanity. I sometimes make substitutions, but I follow it . I sometimes have a treat like ice cream, and I plan for it and work it in to my food plan. I follow a meditterranian (spelling!!!) type program and I write up my food plan for the day every morning. 3. Physical activity almost every day. 4. Getting rid of toxic people and keeping them out of your life. You know who they are and why they are harmful to you. 5. My journal. I start a new page each day and I make sure I write in it when I have a good day. Like when I find myself "in the zone" with my program and feel good because I am being good to myself. 6. At least a few days a week, do something different in your daily routine. If your habit is to come home from work and turn on the TV, turn on the radio instead. If you never do anything social during the week, make a plan to meet someone at Starbucks after work one night. It doesnt' have to be Earth shattering, it just has to be different from your ingrained routine. 7. Find relief from lonliness. This is really at the core of binge eating disorders and it doens't matter if you have 100 friends, are married and have children. It has to do with your feeling of being connected emotionally. I discovered that I really love dogs and I want to start training service dogs for veterans. Having this as a goal gives me a real purpose that feels good. The unconditional love from a dog is enough to melt the coldest of hearts.

I hope this helps!

Elaine
PElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Elaine, I love your Avatar !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #13  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150