General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default So tired after work :(

I am exhausted after work...I started a new job. It really isn't physical but I still find that I am exhausted. I haven't been motivated to exercise, when I get home I just want to sleep.
I am wondering what I can do to prevent this? I get plenty of sleep at night, 8-9 hours. But still find myself sleepy...
Any ideas?
I was thinking of just giving myself a week or two to adjust and get used to it and skip exercise for now?

Last edited by Dagny18; 05-04-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I was just telling my workout partner the same thing this afternoon. I am just absolutely exhausted after work but there are some ways to make it to the gym despite my lethargy. I will drink diet soda and/or listen to loud, upbeat music. Getting a gym buddy is also helpful because you can't quite ditch them. I would not stop going to the gym because it is hard to return after you halt a good habit. Good luck at your new job!
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #3  

I don't go to a gym....I do workout dvds in the basement. But, since the new job I am considering visiting gyms in the area (even just for the fun of it) and if I really like and join, it would be extra motivation.
But yea...maybe I just need a week to adjust?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Don't feel guilty if you DO need a week off your regular workout routine to adjust. Starting a new job might not be physically taxing (depending on the job) but there's a lot of mental and emotional energy that you're using right now.

But I wouldn't suggest eliminating all physical activity - even a short walk after dinner can help with stress and mood and energy.

Also, have a plan for when you're going to go back to your regular routine. Don't wait until you "feel like it," choose a date in the future and stick with it. You can re-evaluate then, but (in my experience!) it's way too easy to keep saying "later" when it comes to exercise.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #5  

Thanks!
I was thinking about not exercising for the rest of the week...but next week I am going to do "easy" exercises...maybe 2-3 days of the week?
Easy being things like Pilates, yoga, walking ect. and then when I get used to that, keep adding intensity again?
It is an office/sitting job but if I am this sleepy, I can't imagine how I would have felt if I still weighed 300 pounds and ate horribly like I did before!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/206/140

Height: 5'5''

I know how you feel! I am the same way, and I'm looking for a way to fix it. I started a job a month ago and I am pooped when I get home. I think I'm going to start getting home, getting changed, and working out immediately. I need to do that so I can relax and enjoy my evening.

Maybe you can pump yourself up with loud music on the way home or driving with your windows wide open. That helps me sometimes.
hobbes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 151/150.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Is there anyway you can workout before work? Lunch hour?

Another thought, if you do decide to join a gym, join one close to your work or between work and home. That way, you can just stop over to the gym on your way home. Workout's done!
winningloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #8  

I am not a morning person....I get up at 6:30 a.m. as it is...
We don't have a lunch hour actually...I eat at my desk :/
Yes, there is a gym about 5 miles from work...I don't think it is a flashy one (like no pool ect) but it is on the route to home
Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/180/125

Height: 5'5

I'm not a morning person either! I can lift weight in the am since it doesn't require much energy but cardio FORGET ABOUT IT!
When I work out in the evenings I usually have a protein smoothie= some berries mixed with unsweetend almond milk and a scoop of protein powder (i use pea protien) That helps give me the boost I need and the mind set that I need "I am going to go work out and I need to be pumped" since its routine. Some loud high energy music doesn't hurt either!
TrishG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 151/150.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny18 View Post
I am not a morning person....I get up at 6:30 a.m. as it is...
We don't have a lunch hour actually...I eat at my desk :/
Yes, there is a gym about 5 miles from work...I don't think it is a flashy one (like no pool ect) but it is on the route to home
I know what you mean. I used to not be a morning person either. I had to literally MAKE myself get up in the morning to exercise. I found that once the oxygen gets flowing, I do just fine. I also find I have more energy for the day. Weird, I know!

Maybe sleep in your workout clothes and roll out of bed at 6 instead of 6:30? 30 minutes is all it takes!

Last edited by winningloser; 05-06-2011 at 08:43 PM.
winningloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningloser View Post
I know what you mean. I used to not be a morning person either. I had to literally MAKE myself get up in the morning to exercise. I found that once the oxygen gets flowing, I do just fine. I also find I have more energy for the day. Weird, I know!

Maybe sleep in your workout clothes and roll out of bed at 6 instead of 6:30? 30 minutes is all it takes!
This is like...fall asleep in the shower sleepy though! I even started going to bed EARLY so to wake up at 6 I'd have to wake up earlier? ugh...