Alternachicks - LesBiAlternachicks and friends

View Full Version : LesBiAlternachicks and friends

mauvaisroux
01-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi chiquitas! This thread was getting a bit long so I started a new one-the old one is in the archives.

Hope you all had a great New Years!

soozie
01-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Mauvais, thanks for starting us up again. I was going to ask but, you beat me to it! Thanks doll...our fearless and ever efficient moderator!

I'm feeling chunka-bunka. I was doing so well but just gained a few and feel pms-y and haven't exercised. My schedule is busy tomorrow...first day back in the office after quite awhile. I'm sure that I'll be exhausted by the end of the day...not to mention I've had some nasty insomnia.

Well...tomorrow is another day and it will be here soon if I don't go to sleep.
I was up until 5am this morning...well New Year's day...couldn't sleep...
hope I can now.
Lots on my mind. My partner's two aunts are in independant living at a place that doesn't have assisted living and they're not making it in independant living...one was moved into the nursing home and the other will soon follow. Just debating with myself how active I should get in the situation. Just feel they'd be happier in an assisted living situation instead of the nursing home...the nursing home is full of mostly people with severe dementia or acute physical disability. Much more debilitated than the aunts and it is such a depressing place.

some of the family members get annoyed when I step in. They think I'm a meddling in-law...but, it is so hard for me to not do something because I feel so upset that they could be in a better place than where they are...god, grant me the serenity to change those things that I can change, give up to you what I can't change and the wisdom to know that difference. Please!
Love Soozie
ps. I'll make some calls tomorrow...appears that one of the nurses at the indep. living is a woman I worked with when I worked inpatient psych. She will help me think about this and about whether or not it is worth the upheaval of fighting to move them to another facility or just resign myself that nursing home is the best place for them. If the nursing home is the answer DP and I already decided that we would make sure to visit regularly and to have the aunties here to our house to dinner at least one time per month. We have had them for dinner already and they really enjoy getting out of the place and being here. oh girls, it is so hard.
Today I thought that DP and I should really buy long term care insurance or whatever it is called because if it comes to it I want to be in the really nice place...there is such a difference (in the US) between the expensive continuing care communities and the basic nursing homes. Night and day girlfriends! Night and day!
Thanks for letting me vent.

OI812
01-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Good morning gals,

Well, I'm back to posting on a regular basis now. Was to hectic and busy there the past few weeks for me to barely get on the computer.

My two jobs will slow down now too as they do every year after xmas. Which could mean that I might have an extra day off on my hands.

Also, dh and I will start house hunting this month too for our first house! It's very exciting!
:dizzy:

New Years day dh and I went through dd closet and and dresser and threw some things in the trash and got rid of toys that she doesn't play with so we could make room for all the new stuff she got for xmas! What a chore that was! We also went through all the kitchen cupboards and straightened them up and got rid of the things that we don't use too!

Well I'm off to check out the rest of the threads and then to get my butt off to the gym. I'll check in on you all a bit later.

Have a good day!
Kelly

Ruthxxx
01-02-2003, 09:19 AM
I post on the Low Carb daily and sometimes don't have time to post here too. You can always check me out over there.

Sooz, I am so with you on the long term care stuff. Both my parents went to seniors "homes" when they could not cope at home. Luckily my sister had many social work connections so we were able to scope them out. I do hope you can get the aunties in a suitable place. Visits and outings are really important - to **** with what the in-laws think. You and DP have the right idea.
(That reminds me, Hershey and I have to get back to our Saturday morning visists to the Nursing Home near here.)

Hey Kelly! Come up here and help me pitch stuff. No kids but I do have DH who saves almost everything. He has paid bills from 1971, tokens to non-existent subway systems, dumb travel souvenirs. I am thinking of subscribing the Fly Lady and starting to tackle the collection of crap!

Have a good Thursday. It's the 8th day of Christmas and I can't remember what I get today. I don't think it's 8 lords a-leaping but maybe I'll luck out. :devil:

P.S. Just checked and it's 8 maids a-milking! Aaaaawwwwwk! keep them away!

ellis
01-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Kelly, that's so exciting about your first house!!

Soozie, I agree with Ruth. As long as DP wants you to interfere, do it! You've got great connections, and you'd be doing this for all the right reasons... because you CARE for her aunts!!

The "homes" up here are very different, too. I'm planning on moving into the public library when I'm "past it".

love and hugs, Soozie... I'll say a little prayer for you and your dilemma. :grouphug:

Lidian
01-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi you all!

Soozie, I'll be thinking of you too...My mother was in assisted living for awhile and I thought it was quite good (sounds like your partner's aunts would be happy in the sort of place my mom was in) but unfortunately she was beginning to suffer from dementia and was falling a lot as she would forget not to try to do stuff by herself. She eventually went to a nursing home for the last year of her life. It is very hard - and I think your partner is very lucky to have you!:)

Kelly, have fun looking for a house - that is wonderful for you! We are looking forward to lots of details (I love hearing about what people are looking for in a house!) What sort of place are you hoping to find?

Ruth, if it is 8 maids a-milking, that implies that there must also be 8 cows a-giving milk...so why in the song isn't it 16? (Wish my scale would do math like that:lol: )

Talk to you all later- we are off to see Chamber of Secrets one last time on the big screen (ah, Monday's it's back to school!!)

Lidian

OI812
01-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Well, I went to the gym this morning! I'm so proud of myself!
I was there an hour, I did about 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes using weights!

Then I was off to the grocery store and I picked up some healthy food; fruit, baby spinach for salads, non fat dressing etc.

The funny thing is....even after being back at the gym for one day after being away for a few months. I feel so much more...what's the word....ALIVE! I mean, my energy level is already up, I'm alert and not tired like I'd normally be and I'm in a great mood!

Lidian--We need/want a 3 bedroom house with large rooms. We want our bedrooms to be big enough that you can actually walk around the bed! LOL We'd like to have a garage and we'd like to have a basement, if further down the road we decided to have a rec room etc. That's basically it! We do have our eye on one right now. It's like a 30 second walk from my dd's school and the hospital, it has 3 bedrooms and all the rooms are large, it has a garage, and a fenced in back yard, and a heated sunroom. They only thing I don't know is if it has a basement or not! And the asking price is 99,900! We want to go look at it in a couple of weeks when dh is on afternoons. Can anyone suggest what a good first bid on this house would be without totally disgusting the seller with a too low of bid?

Ruth--It's so much easier to clean and organize someone else's house than your own! So I'm up for the challenge! LOL

I've heard from different people today while I've been out that we are supposed to be getting a storm today. Has anyone else heard this? I know my locks on the car door were froze this morning when I went out and that it's friggin cold and windy out.

I'm off to check the other threads.
Check on you all later!

~Kelly~

OI812
01-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Did anyone happen to catch Oprah today? If it's on again in your area I suggest to everyone to watch it!

She discussed how she has lossed 33 lbs in a year not by dieting but by customizing a plan that fits her lifestyle! She had her personal trainer on there to, Bob Green and he said alot of interesting things that made very good sense. Like not eating anthing 2 1/2 to 3 hours before you got to bed!

They also had a couple of women that shared their weightloss not by dieting, but by customizing a plan that fit their lifestlye!
One woman had lost 127 lbs and another woman had lost 214 lbs! Talk about movitation and inspiration I got from these women!

Anyways, this show opened my eye up to a whole new way of thinking about losing weight weight and how to accomplish it.

Tomorrow I'm going to my local book store to see if they cary the latest book from Bob Green, Get With The Program, A Guide to Good Eating!

How hope you ladies are able to watch it at some point!

Keep up the good work and I'm off to update my water and food journals!

~Kelly~

Wanttolosealot
01-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah Kelly
After reading your message I went to watch Oprah! It was great. Those women really lost a lot of weight.

dentrassi
01-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Soozie-We went through the same thing with DH's grandparents. It was VERY difficult, but lots of visits sure helped!! His grandfather had to go into a nursing home, and years later his grandmother went into assisted living, which was SO much nicer. Just the economics of it can make anything but a nursing home impossible for a lot of people though.

OI812-WOW!! house hunting is a lot of fun!! Congratulations !!

Ellis-HEY!! Move here!! There is already a large homeless population that lives in the library, we can join them!! (Unless the heartless yuppie newcomers kick them out. They are talking about some new ordinance to eliminate "loitering" at the library. Does that mean I can't go unless I dress up? I mean they don't bug anyone, they just hang out to get out of the heat and cold during the day. HORRORS.......HOMELESS PEOPLE.........and they're READING!!!!!!)

HI TO EVERYONE ELSE!!! I'm still kinda freaking out about my Mom's auto accident (she's okay.) Wrote about it n Winter Chat.....

ellis
01-02-2003, 08:54 PM
I know, Den. That's why I thought of the library. We have lots of sweet old people who sleep in the downtown library. They don't hurt a soul, and they're nice and warm and surrounded by books. I could use a change, though. Maybe I WILL come down to yours! :D

I wrote to you about your mom in winter chat... hugs, sweetie...
don't worry about her. She's obviously got some sort of angel hanging over her head. :)

dentrassi
01-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Or we could switch off!! Summers in Ottawa and winters here!!!

OI812
01-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Good morning ladies!

Den: Glad to hear that you mother is doing fine. Was there much damage to your mother's car?

Ellis: I hope you are feeling better today. Stay inside though. If the weather there is anything like it is here...don't go out unless you have to.

Well, I'm happy to announce that I was TOTALLY OP yesterday! And didn't eat ANYTHING 2 1/2-3 hours before I went to bed!
I'm just finishing up my breakfast( didn't get out of bed till 8:20) and then I'm going to hit the gym at 10 a.m.
My armpits feel a bit sore today. It's from the workout I gave them yesterday. But it's a good pain! LOL

So what plans does everyone have for this weekend?
I'm watching my so play in hockey tournament tomorrow morning. Then dh and I are going to Wal-Mart to see what we can buy with our gift certificates we got for xmas. Oh, and I work all weekend too!

I've heard that we are supposed to get more snow today and then more tomorrow too!

Anyways....I'm off to get dressed.
I'll check back in here later.
You ladies have a great morning!

~Kelly~

Punkinseed
01-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Hello loves!

It's been a long time since I've been over here! Today I refuse to work, so I'm checking alllll the threads! :cb: It's Friday, the end of a holiday week, my birthday-eve, wonderfully cold n' stormy, and I refuse... ain't gonna... you can't make me... I don't care what you say... work! (so there)

Soozie - I agree with Ellis, if DP wants your involvement, then you should be. I think both your partner and her aunts are lucky to have you around.

OI812 - Congrats on the house hunting! So much fun! :cb: I bought my first home a little over a year ago and nuthin' compairs to the feeling of "it's MINE, all MIIIINE" (muahahahahaha).

Ruthie - Ok, so what was the 8 Maids a' milking?? Today would be 9 Ladies Dancing right?? Hmmmm.... that could be interesting! :chin:

Lidian - I'm so jealous.... CoS is already out of theaters here in middle of nowhere Oregon. I really wanted just one last chance to lust after Alan Rickman... oh well... probably out on video this summer???

Time to do some work I 'spose... oh wait!!! I said I wasn't going to work today! Nevah mind....

Terri

OI812
01-03-2003, 11:31 AM
HAPPY PRE-BIRTHDAY TERRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruthxxx
01-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Happy pre-Birthday, Terri. I really think birthdays should be stat holidays!
Hey, Kelly! Cold enough for you? We are waiting for the "lad" to plow out our lane so I can go for groceries and a puppy visit. If I can get the battery compartment closed on the digital, I'll take pics of the wee darlings.

Wanttolosealot
01-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Terri
Happy Birthday girl! Hope you have a great one.

ellis
01-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Happy Birthday, Terri/Punkin!!
(should I forget tomorrow...)
:dance: :gift: :queen:

Have a lovely day!!

Punkinseed
01-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Thank you all oodles for the birthday wishes!!!! :cb:

My Lord of the Rings fanatic friend says I'm going to be an official adult tomarrow. Apparently 33 is "adulthood" for a Hobbit?? :shrug:

Ruth - I agree, birthdays should be holidays... I'm going to enjoy my birthday falling on a Saturday this year!

Well, phone hasn't rung in a couple hours so I think I'm going to make an executive decision and send myself home a 1/2 hour early!

Luff youz all,

Terri

dentrassi
01-03-2003, 06:36 PM
OI812-Sounds like the car was totalled. The insurance company hasn't given an official verdict yet, but the police told her it was probably a goner. (She was at a dead stop and the other driver was going 40 mph.....no skid marks)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRI!!!!!

mauvaisroux
01-03-2003, 07:43 PM
:hat: HAPPY BIRTHDAY PUNKIN!!! :hb:

Merrylegs
01-03-2003, 08:47 PM
:balloons: Happy Birthday, Punkin!

Too true that birthdays should be holidays. I *always* take my birthday off and self indulge.

dentrassi
01-04-2003, 01:57 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PUNKIN!!!!!
:hb: :hat: :gift: :dance: :grouphug: :queen:

Wanted to say.......HAVE FUN!!! ........on the day!!!!

OI812
01-04-2003, 04:31 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PUNKIN!!!!!!!! :hb: :balloons: :balloons: :gift:

Well, here I sit at the computer, almost time for me to get ready for work. DH and I went to see DS play hockey this morning. He's in a tournament this weekend. Last night they lost 8-0 and today they lost 3-2. They play tonight again at 5:30 and DH will go to that one cause I will be working and won't be able to see it.

After that we went to Wal-Mart to see if they've re-stocked their shelves since xmas/boxing day. They haven't. So just got a few things that we needed and left.
We had lunch at this restaurant called Casey's. I really enjoyed my lunch. And the selection for lunch was huge! I behaved myself and ordered a Chicken Taco Salad which was absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to go back there and try out their dinner menu! LOL

We came back to town and went to PC and filled out the necessary forms to see if we can get approved for a pre-approved mortgage. She said we should here something back by next Wednesday. So keep your fingers crossed for us!

Well, I'd better get my butt off of here and get myself ready for work. I'll talk to gals in the morning!

Have a great night.
~Kelly~

barefootgrrrl
01-04-2003, 06:41 PM
:gift: Happy Birthday Terri! From Terri!

Hope it's a fun one!

Den, I didn't read the winter chat thread, but I hope your mom is ok? (thinking of you)

Since this the Lesbi friends thread, I have some good news to share.

The first baby of 2003 for the Washington D.C. area was born in the hospital up the street from my house.

It was a bigger news splash than usual because her parents are a lesbian couple. The news reporters kept asking for a photo of the baby with her mother - each woman asked "which mother?" :)

Seeing them together in the news story made me so happy and yet a wee bit sad. Sad because I know I will not have any more children and sometimes I wonder about it and because it reminds me of the side of my life that remains shrouded and lost - my bisexual side. Between parenting, my job, marriage, homelife, etc. it doesn't leave much time to go to any local activities for bi women in my area. I am lucky to have a couple biwomen friends in the area - but yes, monogamy issues aside, sometimes I miss having a girlfriend. Ok, I just had to get this out and say it somewhere where people might understand. I know some of you here are bi.......so maybe you can relate, I don't know. I just appreciate having a safe place to say it. Thanks for this place.

Terri

squeaker
01-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Happy Birthday Terri!!!

:cb::hb: :gift: :hat: :balloons: :cb:

OI812
01-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Barefootgrrl/Terri---I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm in the same boat as you girlfriend!

dentrassi
01-05-2003, 08:00 PM
She's fine.....apart from two black eyes!!!

squeaker
01-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi there chickies! :wave:

Sorry I have been MIA more often then not. Hopefully that won't be the case any more. No really good excuse. Just feeling blah. Now it isn't quite as bad. Not great but not awful. More just kinda here. And even if I don't post, I have been checking the board 6 million times a day. :D

Christmas was good. It was a lot more fun now that we can get things for my nephew. He was just interested in trying to eat the wrapping paper. I got lots of kitchen stuff that I asked for. And a pizzelle maker. :T Also a ticket to see Phantom of the Opera when it is in town.

We also had the christening for the baby on the 29th which was nice. Lots of family the last week. :)

Work is insane. The next 2 days are really important. Then another big deal in about 3 weeks. No more overtime pay still, but that really doesn't mean much.

Last week I also took my mom in for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. Colonoscopy was fine, but they found polyps in her stomach. They took biopsies, but the doctor didn't think they were anything to worry about. We got a lovely picture of them too. :p

The boy got blood work done last Tuesday to figure out why he has been so sick. He has a bump on his neck, and has been tired all the time. Every once and a while his vision gets screwy - white spots. I told him to tell me what they found as soon as he gets the results. Who knows if all of it is related or not. He just might have a virus. But I have been worried about him too. We talked on New Years day, and were both tired, sick and irritable. It didn't go so well. He called today to make sure everything was ok.
Things with him are ok I guess. Neither of us has really pushed for anything. Though when I saw him for Christmas, he had a glass & a half of wine. He is a very very cheap date and tried to get cuddly. While I sat in the chair he sat on the floor in front of me with his head on my lap, nuzzling my leg. But that was it - which took all of my strength. I know if I had wanted to do something, I could have. For the first time in over a year, we slept in different rooms.

The rest of the time I have been trying to get myself together. So far I haven't done *too* bad. Today I cleaned out my cupboards, and made a shopping list. Now I am just vegging and watching the Beatles on American Dreams. :)

:mouse:

Wanttolosealot
01-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Terrigrrrl
You can always chat here with me too. I know exactly where you are coming from, and if you have been listening to me go on and complain lately, you know where I am coming from too.
Bi-Bi girrrrl

OI812
01-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Good day girlfriends!

I see posts are pretty slow in here today. I guess because it's monday and everyone is back to work and back to school.

I had a busy Monday. It's laundry day so off I went to the laundry mat and was there by 8:30 doing laundry. Then I came home, unloaded the car and headed off to the gym. Then I had to swing by the grocery store because I needed tomatoes and cucumber for my salad. I still have to put the clothes away and put the dishes away and figure out what to make for dinner.

Darn, have to cut the post short. My BIL just knocked on the door and wants to me to run him some where. I'll be back later. LOL

~Kelly~

Hot Dish
01-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Hello! I'm new to these boards.

I've been lurking for a while, but I finally registered. This is the first thread I've posted in...looks good. :)

I'm trying to lose 145lbs. (GAH!) so that I can be the fabulous rock star sex symbol that I am. hee.

~hd

OI812
01-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Welcome to this great bunch of girls. I'm sure you'll fit right in with everyone else!

mauvaisroux
01-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Welcome Hot Dish :)

squeaker
01-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse Hot Dish :wave:

Sojourner
01-07-2003, 01:30 AM
Is your avatar woman actually topless or are my squinting eyes failing me?:lol:

Welcome!

Punkinseed
01-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Welcome Hot Dish!

Sojo, it's all those traveling drugs and illness... Hot Dish's avatar is clad, scantily, but still, she's got clothes (although it does look like you can see nips...)

Hey, we have pervy avatars now!!! :cb:

Terri

Suzque
01-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm new to the posting...saw the Alternachicks and knew this is where I belong! Hope all is well with everyone. Chilly and windy in southern Illinois! Unfortunately...I must return to work from my lunch hour. I'll post more later! Great to see others (lesbians) who are also over weight. Have a great day!

Suzque

mauvaisroux
01-07-2003, 07:32 PM

Naaah Sojo, you just have a dirty mind which in turn is making you see things that you want to see :lol:

Welcome Suzque! :D

Merrylegs
01-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Welcome Hot Dish and Suzque! Hang on and enjoy the ride...these ladies are too much fun, and very prolific posters.:dizzy:

Hot Dish
01-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Nope! Not naked... hee.

Just my alter-ego, a Vargas pin-up. ;)

~hd

ellis
01-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi Hot Dish and Suzque. :wave:

Wanttolosealot
01-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi Hot Dish and Suzque,
Hope you enjoy the forum. We are a wild and crazy bunch of gals. Welcome aboard!
Virginia

squeaker
01-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Welcome Suzque & Hot Dish. :wave:

I know a bunch of you other chickies are sick, not the sick & twisted sick, but the not feeling good sick. I hope you are all starting to feel better. Make sure you get a lot of rest, and no moving furniture ;)

mauvaisroux
01-08-2003, 11:31 PM
Excuse me Squeak, but I am sick and twisted and proud of it :lol:

OI812
01-09-2003, 07:52 AM
Good morning gals!

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, but I had to work both jobs and I just didn't have time to post.

But I do have some good news! Dh and I were approved for a $100 000 mortgage! That's all we asked for. You can get a really good 3 bedroom home here for usually under that! So I'm calling about a house today!

I stepped on the scales this morning as Thursdays are my weigh in days. It says 137 which is what I weighed last week! I'm telling myself that it's the fat turning into muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat so it's not showing a loss on the scales right now.
Sounds good doens't it? LOL

Nothing exciting going on here today. Going to the gym, then I have to get my nails done, and my eyebrows done. Might drive to Wal-Mart depending on how much time I have left. Dh wants a set of new clubs and a golf bag for his bday(Feb28) So I figued I'd check Wal-Mart out and lay it away till then.
Oh, Dh and I are going to book a weekend off next month and go to Niagra Falls. We've spent a couple of weekends there last year already. But it's a nice place to go to get away from everything here. Not to mention to be able to eat at all the different places there! LOL

Well, I"m off to get my breakfast in me and get ds off to school. I'll check back in on you chickies later!

Oh....Suzque, welcome to the thread! You'll love it here! Most of us have a warped sense of humour. So if you have one, you'll fit right in! LOL

Have a great day girls!

~Kelly~

ellis
01-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Kelly, congratulations on your pre-approved mortgage!! That's wonderful news!!
:cb:

mauvaisroux
01-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Kelly~ happy house hunting! :)

What is Niagara Fall like? I haven't been there since I was 14. DH and I were thinking of going there for the weekend of our anniversary. We wanted to go to Vegas but can't afford it with the exchange rate and we are trying to save up for a house. We thought Niagra would be a good alternative.

dentrassi
01-09-2003, 01:02 PM
WELCOME HOT DISH AND SUZQUE!!!!!

Kelly-Congratulations on the mortgage approval!

Squeak-Thanks, hon!! I've been sick since Monday, just aching and sleeping all day...FINALLY starting to feel better!!!

Mauvais-I didn't know that you've been saving for a house! How exciting!!!

Hello to all the rest of you!!!

Suzque
01-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Everyone sounds great!

Weiged-in today...only lost 1/2 of a pound...but that is better than gaining, which is what I have done the last two weeks! What a roller coaster! My goal weight is 140#. I am currently at 157#. Started at 174#. The holidays were very difficult because I am addicted to candy and cookies! Time to start working hard at-it again!

I coach my daughter's volleyball club team, so I do get a little exercise twice a week. Would like to be more motivated though.

Sounds like lots of people have the flu right now! Not fun! Knock on wood...haven't had it for years! Hope I didn't just jink myself!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Suzque

mauvaisroux
01-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

Suzeque- my goal weight is 145lbs so we're in the same goal range :)

Den- we are slowly trying to save for the initial down payment.
It's been tough since we have both been through a few layoffs in the last 5 years. We are hoping to buy in the next year or so :crossed:

VelvetCyberpunk
01-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Hey Hot Dish, and Suzque, welcome to the board! I think you'll like it here. These are some great women. Hot Dish, I love Vargas, his pin ups were the best!

Congratulations Kelly on your mortgage. I hope you get a dream house!

Den, I'm glad your Mom's ok, wow, that must have been a fright!

dentrassi
01-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Mauvais-Hope it works out!! It is more work having a house, but it is really worth it to have a space that is truely your own!!

Cyber-Thanks! It was VERY scary. She is doing fine now, thank goodness!

soozie
01-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Hey girls. Sorry that I've been out of touch. Really busy with work and I got over the stomach flu thing and then immediately started with a sinus infection thing! Just starting to feel better...ummmm, still didn't take the Christmas tree down!

Did go to the gym FOUR times this past week. Yeah baybee! Feels good.
Though have to do a bit better with my eating. Not feeling well gave into comfort food at times.

Aunts update, one fell and broke hip. She is in hospital. Other in nursing home. Spoke with one of the nurses at assisted living. Seems like both Aunts will have to be in nursing home. So, lots of visits and outings it is. Thanks for all of the support and words of wisdom girls.
Ellis, I like the idea of the library but do they serve hot meals there? Maybe you could order in pizza and sandwiches or something like that.

Den, glad to hear that your mom is okay.

Squeak, whoa, you exercised some serious self control girl. Now just apply that energy to your food plan and you'll be really svelte!

Mauvais, I thought my goal might land around 140 or 145 as I get down there but the BMI says I have to hit 130 to be healthy! I'm not going to think about that too much. Just taking it one pound at a time for now!

Ruth, is Hershey a certified visiting people in nursing homes dog? That must feel so nice, to bring an animal to people who are missing their own or just need and friendly nuzzle! My sister works in a continuing care community and they have a dog that lives there. The only problem is making sure that the residents don't over feed her. But, she brings alot of joy to people there.

The nursing home where our aunts are has birds but no fuzzy animals. I don't know if they get fuzzy visitors.

Oh, yes and welcome Suzque and Hotdish
and Happy belated birthday Terri...sorry I missed it!!!

Hi to Kat and Terri and Terri and Kelly and Velvet and Virginia and Merrylegs
and hope I didn't miss anyone...have a great week girls
Love, Soozie

katrinabgood
01-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey Alternachickies...

I've been semi AWOL lately...doesn't mean I don't love ya though! There are so many threads here now, I can't keep up with the lot of you! Renewed weight loss efforts since 1/1 have resulted in a 2 lb loss so far...whoop di do! Not to down play it or anything, but I have been exercisng regularly, so I'm sure that all the muscle built up is camoflaging my true weight loss...:lol: or something like that.

Soozie, we used to get furry visitors at the hospital where I work...I'm sure they still do it, just not the hours that I'm there (11-7) They call it "Pet Therapy." People love it! After they get over the shock of seeing a dog in a hospital...

Well...gotta get the boy motivated for school...you know..."where's your back pack? "Brush your teeth." "Don't forget your trombone/homework/lunch ticket/fill in the blank." He's almost 12...should I have to do this EVERY DAY? You'd think he'd be tired of listening to me by now...

Have a good day all!

ellis
01-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Soozie, I'm glad you're starting to feel better! You've been through ****, huh? Hugs, hon...
I guess fate decided where your Aunts would be living. They'll be okay... they've got lots of love. Maybe they'll even enjoy themselves having the extra company of the other residents.
Hey, you're doing great with the gym, sweetie!!

Yeah, there's a coffee shop in the library. I'm devastated, though. My old (VERY poorly designed, to be sure) downtown library is going to be closed and relocated. It just won't be the same...
Mauvais, do you think they'll use that ugly/interesting huge ceiling sculpture in the new one? :lol:

Mauvais, that's very exciting that you're going to be looking for a house! Are you hoping to stay downtown, or will you become a suburbanite?

Kelly, how's the house hunting going?

Our sweet electrician (husband of Monique/cancer) was over yesterday doing some more work on our second floor apartment.
He decided that we need to rip down some of the walls because they're going to be too difficult to repair. My gosh, you should see it!! It's practically gutted!
And the dust is sort of filtering up through the pine boards into our attic bedroom. curses. Oh well... it's going to be a beautiful apartment. Just have to find the perfect tenant. Preferably someone who's dead and very quiet.

ellis
01-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Kat, I didn't see you there! We've missed you! Hey, 2 pounds is better than a gain, hon! :yes:
Just getting MY boy off to school! hugs, hon!

Punkinseed
01-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Hello all...

Curses to Mary Kay. I know she's dead already, but my GOD! I have hives again. I quit using the makeup remover, hives cleared up, and started using the mascara my girlfriend gave me to try - guess what I have this morning?????? :mad:
I give up....

Soozie - Thank you for the belated bday wishes. I'm still waiting to feel the age my birth certificate says I am! I hope you're feeling completely better soon. Sorry to hear about the outcome with the Aunts, but I agree - they have a lot of love and will be ok. They're lucky to have so many people who care.

Kat - I'm sure it's camoflaged weight loss! Congrats!

OI812 - :cb: Congrats on the approval!!!! Now happy house hunting! Keep us posted on what you find.

:wave: everyone!!! I'm off to find some Benadryl... :rolleyes:

Terri

dentrassi
01-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Soozie-Is there any way the two Aunts can be together in the same nursing home? You are such a sweetie that I know you'll make the transition easier for them.

Punkin-Sorry to hear about the hives! What a drag.

Kat-Hey! My youngest is almost 13, and this morning's litany went like this:
1. had to tell him to get dressed. (When I got out of the bathroom he still wasn't dressed because he had to pee FIRST) 2. had to tell him to eat breakfast. Had to HAND him breakfast in order to get this accomplished. This was actually an easy morning. My 16 (almost) year old was annoyed that I dropped the younger one off first even though HE was the last one out the door this morning! Left the house 5 minutes late, but got them to school on time!!

Ellis-HEY! The library here has multiple restaurants (Middle Eastern, Sushi, BBQ, Burgers, Thai) within walking distance!! Some are just across the parking lot!

Ruthxxx
01-13-2003, 11:31 AM
I am sooooo far behind!

The are closing the Library on Metcalfe! Oh No! Let's protest, Ellis and Den - and then go out for Dim Sum.

Hershey is a certified pet therapist - she has worked for the St John Ambulance and we are now with Thera-Paws. At the moment she is recovering from her pregnancy but we will be back at visiting in February. The folks in the Nursing Homes adore her and she does get fed too many treats but I cut back her food on visiting days. In March we will be doing an AZ Day Away program at our local medical centre. She should be fine - a calm, gentle and well behaved dog who likes people but adores me. What more could I ask! (Well, maybe that she was a human male?)

Not much doing here except that we are snowed in again. The "lad" will plow soon, I hope. Gail is cleaning, Harry is reading and the dogs are romping in the deep snow. A great day to snuggle beside the wood stove with a good book - "unless" by Carol Sheilds, at the moment.

By the way, bought a new PC on the weekend but have not got it yet. The guy is going to transfer my drive stuff so I may be offline for a day or so. So don't worry - I haven't croaked!

Merrylegs
01-13-2003, 03:26 PM
I work in a long term care facility, two of my three dogs take turns coming to work with me everyday. Animals bring so much pleasure to the residents - and they always trigger happy memories of beloved pets from days gone by.

dentrassi
01-13-2003, 07:16 PM
HEY!! If I read the listing right our own sweet RUTHXXX has a birthday today,
so.............

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!!!!

:hb: :hat: :gift: :dance: :grouphug: :dance: :gift: :hat: :hb:

squeaker
01-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Happy Birthday Ruthxxx!!!!!!!!

:cb: :balloons: :cb: :hb: :gift:

ellis
01-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Oh for goodness sakes... how could I forget!?

Happy Birthday, Ruthie darling!!!

love ellis xoxo
:cb: :gift: :grouphug: :dance:

Ruthxxx
01-13-2003, 09:12 PM
[color=red] Blush! Blush! Thank you, Sweeties! [/red] I am planning to celebrate by getting my bloodwork done in the morning and my teeth cleaned in the PM. Harry has already come through with a card and a gift and a promise of dinner out tomorrow! Life is good - if you can wait that long! :lol:

Thanks, again. At 6:10 tomorrow morning, I'll be 64! How the **** did that happen!

mauvaisroux
01-13-2003, 09:24 PM
:hat: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTH!! :hat:

Hope you have a great day and a nice dinner out :)

Soozie-glad that you are back! Good on you for going to the gym!

Ellis- I would like to stay downtown if I can. We are thinking of buying a duplex and having my parents live in one unit and us in the other. That way we are close by but still have our own space.
Or we could get a house with an in-law suite but I haven't seen to many of those around. We looked at one and it was two small rooms in a basement. One room had a couch and bed in it
and the other was a galley type kitchen with only a sink, microwave and toaster oven! In-law suite -yeah right! :rolleyes:

Wildfire
01-13-2003, 10:24 PM
:hat: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUTH! :hat:

Sojourner
01-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Hey Happy Birthday! I'm a January birthday too... Aquarius. :gift:

ellis
01-14-2003, 07:15 AM
64, huh? You don't look a day over 50, darling. Ruth, have a lovely day with your doctor, your dentist, and your DH! :D
hugs and kisses, sweetie...

Mauvais, a duplex is a great idea! It's a good investment, too. When we bought this house we were intending on living in the whole thing, but it's really HUGE, and as my sister was going to teacher's college at the time, it was ideal for her having an apartment she could rent from us. Now we've realized what a money-maker we've got on our hands. It'll be a bonus for us when we eventually retire. We can live on one floor (two bedroom apartment) ourselves, and rent out the other 2 two-bedroom apartments!
That "in-law-suite" sounds very, ummm, lovely. :lol: More like a student's ****!
I'm sure you'll find the perfect place... let me know when you start looking seriously and I'll keep my eyes open for you.

OI812
01-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Good morning ladies!

First off.....Happy Belated Bday Ruthie!

Sorry I haven't been around this weekend but I've been very busy! We went and looked at a house on Saturday and I fell inlove with it right away. It's the one we've been looking at for a few months now from afar until we got approved for the mortgage. Anyways...it's a beautiful house! I didn't know they made bedrooms that big!
Anyways...we put in an offer yesterday so tonight when we go to sign some papers we'll find out if they've accepted our offer or not. So everyone ...keep your fingers crossed for me! It's so exciting!
So I've been talking to the bank and finding out what I need to give them for proof of wages etc.
Today is going to be the longest day till 6 p.m.!~ LOL

Well I can't talk long....have to have breakfast and then hit the gym.

I'll pop back in here later on and let you all know what's happening!

Luv you all!

~Kelly~

ellis
01-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Kelly, I'm so excited for you!! If it's the right house for you, you'll get it. hugs, hon...

Wanttolosealot
01-14-2003, 10:10 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTHXX!!!!!! :hb: :hat: :dance: :gift: :balloons: :chockiss:
Hope you have a great day! Enjoy!
Kelly, Good luck with the house sweetie! I will be crossing my fingers for you, toes too, but not my eyes, can't see then.
As for everyone else,love and hugs to all.
The sun is shining again today, that is three days in a row and it makes my mood happy. The sun lightens day, both literally and figurativally.
:D
Virginia

Punkinseed
01-14-2003, 10:10 AM
:hb: Happy Birthday Ruth!!!! :hb:

Kelly - I've got my finger's crossed for you - looking forward to your good news!! :crossed:

Toodles for now,

Terri

dentrassi
01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
GOOD LUCK KELLY!!!!

barefootgrrrl
01-14-2003, 08:00 PM
:queen:

Happy Birthday Ruth!!!

:smug: Good Luck Kelly!

Terri

mauvaisroux
01-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Ellis, I will let you know when we seriously start looking :)

Good luck with your house Kelly :lucky:

OI812
01-15-2003, 05:49 AM
drum roll please............................................ ...........

They accepted our offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All we have to do know is get the financing under way and we are set!

Gotta go and get ready for work!

~Kelly~

ellis
01-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Congratulations, Kelly!! :dance:

Ruthxxx
01-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Great, Kelly! Such fun! We need details!

Lamorgan
01-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Wow Kelly, I just saw that you live in Simcoe! I live in Hagersville! Did you buy in Simcoe??

Lois

Punkinseed
01-15-2003, 10:28 AM
:cb: Congratulations Kelly!!!! :cb:

Terri

Ruthxxx
01-15-2003, 12:18 PM
OMG! Lamorgan revealed where she lives! Somebody call CSIS or the RCMP to check her out!
Where the **** is Hagersville so we can all go there and party! I'll bring the picnic basket.

ellis
01-15-2003, 12:27 PM
:lol: That's exactly what I was thinking, Ruth! Firstly, where the **** is Hagersville, and secondly, get the car warmed up, because we're going partying!! :lol:

squeaker
01-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Congrats Kelly. :)

and a belated Welcome Back Soozie!!!!

mauvaisroux
01-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Way to go Lamorgan :rolleyes: Now the witness protection program will have to relocate you at the tax payers' expense!
Sheesh! :lol:

Congratulations Kelly!

OI812
01-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Good afternoon ladies!

Sorry I've been MIA this week. Been a busy and stressful week for me. Waiting for papers from the bank, talking to the real estate lady etc.

So here's the low down.....Thursday the building inspector will be looking at the house then we sign some more papers and a sold sign gets put on the front lawn. Which by the way, I'm going to get my picture taken standing beside the sold sign! LOL
We take possession on March 31st! This is sooooo exciting!

If any of you would like to see my new house, go to www.mls.ca and it will ask you if you want to search by mls listing number. The mls number is IU1361

Lois...yes we bought in Simcoe. Very close to the school and hospital.
We aren't too far from one another!

Well I'm off to call the lawyers and then get ready for work. Talk to you all tomorrow!!!!

~Kelly~

Wanttolosealot
01-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Oh Kelly I am so excited for you! It is beautiful, I went and had a peak. YOu must be so excited, and rightfully so. Good for you.
Virginia

Punkinseed
01-17-2003, 01:45 PM
OMG Kelly you weren't kidding when you said it had big bedrooms! Wow...

Very cute house. I bet the sunroom is beautiful. I want to add one on to back of my house, someday, when I'm rich... :lol:
Congrats again!!!

Terri

ellis
01-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Kelly, it's a darling house!! I'm so very happy for you! :cb:

mauvaisroux
01-17-2003, 03:38 PM
Congratulations Kelly! Mmmmm-heated sunroom....:D

dentrassi
01-17-2003, 06:27 PM
It looks great!! Lucky you to be getting a sun room!!

squeaker
01-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Congrats Kelly!!!! :balloons:

Wanttolosealot
01-18-2003, 09:21 AM
It is like being in a deep freeze here! It is so cold. Wish I were in Florida right now. Well I go to work at 2 off at 6, head over to Pam's for a quick shower and then off to a wonderful evening of music , poetry and Pam. Three of my favorite things. We are going to a piano recital and poetry reading, of one of the leaders in our PFlag group. I can't wait. It will be so nice. This is not my hubbys cup of tea, so I am glad I have Pam to share these things with. She makes my heart skip a beat when I see her.
Virginia

katrinabgood
01-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Kelly, what a great house! And what a price! That's it, I'm moving to Canada! Best wishes for you in your new home!

Virginia, your night sounds lovely...have a wonderful time.

Ruth...belated birthday wishes!

Hi to everyone else! Diet exercise efforts are going well here...I have managed to shave off some of the holiday poundage...now to get to all that other fat that I was working on before I was so rudely interrupted by the holidays!

This will be the year I go all the way! (assuming Scarlett O'Hara pose, fist clenched and held high) "As God is my witness, I will NEVER be 266 pounds again!" 259 today

Have a great weekend alternachickies!

Hot Dish
01-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Hola! So, I finally had a moment to breathe and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Lost 5 lbs. on last Monday's weigh-in, so we'll see how this monday goes *crosses fingers*

Been super busy with work (my boss is going to be the death of me), running my own community, designing my own portfolio site, meeting with my personal trainer...I need a nap! hee.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello!!! :wave: I hope you all had a wonderful week.

~hd

barefootgrrrl
01-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Kelly - I like your house! Wish I could find one of those down here for me!

Congrats on all the weight loss chiquitas! I appear to be stalled right now - probably need to exercise - but it's soooo cold

Stay Warm! Sending Hugs! barefoot terri

PS - Virginia - sounds like a wonderful time with Pam -

does she have any friends in the U.S. for me? :lol:

Wanttolosealot
01-19-2003, 12:48 PM
We had a fabulous time last night. It was bitterly cold though, but the music and poetry moved us both to tears. I have never been to a piano and peotry recital before, but I dare say it will not be my last. I was quite literally breasthless several times, and had to remind myself to breath. It was wonderful.
Here is a quick run down of the evening.
Intermezzo Opus 118 #1 in CM(1892) Johannes Brahms
(1833-1897)
"Come Down, O Maid," from The Princess (1847) Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)
INtermezzo Opus 116 #4 in EM (1892) Johannes Brahms

"Ode to Heaven" (1819) Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
Carnival Opus 9 (selections) (1834-1835) Robert Shcumann
"Kubla Khan; or , A Vision in a Dream" (1798) Samuel Taylor Coleridge ( 1722- 1834)

Mazurka Opus 6 in Gm (1835-1836) Clara Wieck (Schumann)
(1819-1896)
"The Night Wind" (ca1840) Emily Bronte (1818-1848)
"The Solitary Reaper" (1807) William Wordsworth (1770-1850)

Siebzehn Landler fur das Pianoforte (selections) Franz Schubert
(1797-1828)

INTERMISSION

Au lac de Wallenstadt from Annees de Pelerinage, Franz Liszt
Premierre Annee- Suisse (1835) (1811-1886)

from Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, George Gordon, Lord Byron
Canto III (1816) (1788-1824)

Eglogue from Annes de Pelerinage, Franz Liszt
Premiere Annee- Suisse (1835) (1811-1886)

"Ode to a Nightingale" (1819) John Keats
(1795-1821)

Nocturne Opus 9 #3 in BM Frederic Chopin
Waltz in Em, Oeuvre posthume (1810-1849)

All the music and poetry was taken from the Romantic Era and was performed by Janet Hammock, piano and Robert Lapp, poetry.

Truely a night to remember!
Virginia

katrinabgood
01-19-2003, 01:33 PM
*sigh* That sounds wonderful, Virginia...something I would NEVER be able to convince my dh to attend...maybe my daughter...I will keep an eye out for such an event around here.

ellis
01-19-2003, 01:50 PM
What a divine evening, Virginia. :)

Wanttolosealot
01-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Divine indeed!
I am still on cloud nine!
Virginia

dentrassi
01-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Sounds WONDERFUL!!!

Punkinseed
01-21-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, I just found out I'm going to L.A. March 18th - business trip - same office as "my guy".

Holy crap

That's about all I can say right now...

Terri :yikes:

katrinabgood
01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
FATE is stepping up to bat...

How exciting, Punkin!

Sojourner
01-21-2003, 02:41 PM
I guess you don't have to worry then about getting up the nerve to meet him... :devil:

ellis
01-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Yikes, Terri!! How exciting!! And terrifying all at once. :D
Should we all come down and give you a make-over? We'll fix you up REAL purty! :dance:

Punkinseed
01-21-2003, 04:21 PM
I've been hit by a truck - figuratively of course, but still...

Ok, I tell my guy I'm coming down in March and the reply was "oh" - he's been in a mood all day and I asked him what was up and he said he'd email me. The "oh" was odd. But now I know why. He didn't email me, he called me on his way to lunch in his car and told me that in March he probably won't be working for the company anymore (very long story, honestly I kinda saw this coming for him - or I should say they're doing this TO him). Anywho, so he said "here you are telling me you'll see me in March and I couldn't tell you I probably won't be here". He said he was bummed and that if/when he leaves we'll exchange phone numbers.

So, a really sucky thing and a good thing. I probably won't meet him in March - but he does want to keep in touch when he goes...

Terri

barefootgrrrl
01-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Terri,

Even if he's not employed by the same company, will he still be in the area? you two could still get together after work or on the weekend?

Thinking of you,

Terri

ellis
01-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Oh geez, Terri. Don't get discouraged. It's all part of the natural process. It doesn't have to be bad... this could all work out for the best.
hugs and prayers...
xoxo ellis

Sojourner
01-21-2003, 06:34 PM
I think a nice lunch meeting (or maybe more??) would be in order while you are there...

squeaker
01-21-2003, 07:04 PM
:( Sorry Terri! The girls are right, maybe he will still be in the area. A lunch sounds like a wonderful idea. It is a bump, but it could still turn out well.

:grouphug:squeak

Punkinseed
01-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks you guys... ;)

As of right now, I'm only going to be in LA for a few hours, literally. Long enough for a quick meeting and then back on a plane to the Bay Area, so I can drive home the next day.
I told him I'd tell the people I'm meeting with "nice ta meetcha' now I'm going out to lunch with your former employee" - we had a good laugh, and both realized that's not likely to happen - it could, but it would be a very poor business move...

So, yea, we'll see. This could be a bump or I could have 4 or so more weeks of "my guy" before he's gone. I'm thankful for what he's taught me and I hope we stay in touch, but I've also got to prepair myself in case that doesn't happen.

Thanks again for the support everyone! :grouphug:

Terri

ellis
01-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Terri, you are such a smart girl! I am so impressed with your attitude. :yes:
Hang in there, girl!
xoxo :grouphug:

Wanttolosealot
01-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Will be thinkin of you Terri! Hope everything works out for the best for you both. Good vibes and happy thoughts comin your way.
Virginia

ellis
01-22-2003, 08:36 PM
I would just like to let everyone know that when I got up this morning, the windchill was -39. The cold is blowing into every available crack in my big old house, and I'm anticipating one **** of a big heating bill.
The end.

katrinabgood
01-22-2003, 08:53 PM
BRRRRRRRRRRRRr!!!!!

squeaker
01-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Oh my that is cold!!

On the subject of guys I would like your opinions. I just got off the phone with the boy. He has a job interview in California on Valentines Day, so he will be out there with my ex-friend and also the chick that he kissed. I am thrilled about the interview not so thrilled about the timing or the company he will be keeping. Not that I would have spent V-day with him, but it still doesn't thrill me.

Now the part I need opinion on - The chick who abruptly put an end to me and him is coming to visit in March. He has told her alot about me and she would like to meet me. He asked me if I would like to meet her, and I said "I don't know". Am I being silly? Should I at least make an attempt at being friends with someone I am going to have to deal with? She is willing to fly across the country to see him after knowing him for less then 6 months. And there is a chance he is going to move out there in 3 months if he gets the job. I know if I ignore her exsistance, she isn't going to go away. But I am not sure I can handle seeing them in the same room. I am so damn confused. :?:

Terri - I hope things go much better for you!!!! Ellis is right - I am very impressed with your attitude. I wish I could be that ok with everything.

Sojourner
01-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Well, others may disagree with me here... but I think it is time to move on. Why torture yourself with this whole thing? If he wants to be with you, he will choose to be with you. Please don't settle for second best... life is too short. I made this very mistake in college and I always regret it. After my boyfriend of a year and a half broke up with me... it sort of dragged on for awhile and he was seeing other people but still "missed me" and blah blah blah. I couldn't imagine my life without him. Of course I continued to let him treat me like this... in the end I had to accept that he just wasn't willing to choose me and commit to me. I wasted so much time settling for the scraps of his affection. And yes, he was my best friend and I loved him and I wanted to marry him and it was one of the hardest and bravest and most painful things I've ever done to let him go and walk away. But thank God I finally did completely walk away and got on with my life. If he had really loved me, he would have come back to me and he would have seriously commited to me... and that clearly wasn't happening. I had to love myself enough to insist that I deserved better, that I deserved someone who loved me utterly and completely, that I deserved to be treated with respect and love and care. I finally had to completely cut him out of my life... it took me over a year to get over him, but I did eventually get over him. After a couple of years of the single life I finally met my future husband and I've never, ever wished it were any different. I look back and always wonder "what on earth was I thinking??" :^:

squeaker
01-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Thank you for your advice Sojo.

But I also realized I should probably explain myself better. :)

I do not want to be back with him as a couple. Last time I saw him and he was feeling rather happy and flirty, I was given the opportunity to slip back into that relationship, and I choose not to. I know we work very well as friends and only passible as a couple. Niether of us are ready to fully commit and therefore we shouldn't be a couple.

He is a very caring and committed friend. Probably more so now then ever before. I need his friendship right now. I need to talk to him now about things going on that have nothing to do with him, but I am the most comfortable with him. He knows me, my life and my past the best. I would be a complete mess without that connection right now.

I am not so sure how much I want to know her. I have no connection to her except him. And I would have a hard time with the two of them together only because, while yes the pain has lessened a great deal, I am afraid that seeing her may rip it open again. Him meeting her ended something that had become an important part of my life for almost a year. I know it isn't completely fair to her. And if she is going to be a big part of his life, and she is going to make an effort, then I should. I am just not sure if I want to. That's why I am confused.

If it was any other girl, I wouldn't have the problem. I am fine with that fact one of his exgirlfriends is trying to wiggle herself back into his life. And I know she would jump him if given half a chance. If he wants her, thats his choice.

You have given me some more to think about Sojo.

And have fun on your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ellis
01-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Squeaker dear, Sojo is so right. The only one being hurt here is YOU.
If you need him as a friend, hang on to him. But don't allow yourself to be hurt by him in any way. I don't think you should meet that girl right now. It's too soon. This is not some sort of a test of your friendship with him. If he doesn't understand how you feel, then either he's not worthy of your friendship or there's a huge communication gap that needs filling.
And who cares if she's making an effort!? That's just "lovely", but she's got what she wants while you're sitting in the wings. Uh uh... if she's so nice, then she'll understand that you don't want to meet her right now. And you know, she's probably jealous of your friendship with the boy, and wants to take a good look at you!
Listen sweetie, he's a dear friend, but you have a life to live. You can't skip around his all the time. Keep your friendship, but move on with your life. It's not good for him to see you as being "always there" either. It makes you unattractive. Tell him you'd love to see him, but you just don't have time in your busy life to meet her right now. You've got other friends, a job, a life, things to do. You're not hanging around waiting for the dregs of his friendship.

I know how difficult it is to see clearly when you're right in the middle of such a situation. We're not trying to be know-it-alls, but it's easier for us to see what's going on, even when we're not right there with you. You're worthy of greater things; Squeak, and we love you too much not to be honest with you.

Okay, that's a **** of a lot of rambling.
I hope I haven't done my usual foot-in-the-mouth-thing, for which I'm so famous. :tape:

hugs, sweetie....
xoxo :grouphug:

Wanttolosealot
01-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Squeaker,
Sojo and Ellis are right on the money. You need time to adjust to him first before you can take on meeting his new friend. All in good time my dear. There is nothing more I can add that these other two smart chicks have not already mentioned.
Go out with your other friends and have a good time. Enjoy life sweetie!
Virginia

Lidian
01-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi Squeaker, I am going to agree with Sojo and Ellis, they said it all really well - you can certainly keep him as a friend without having to see this girl. You are entitled to just say NO THANKS! Whatever would make you feel better - yes or no; I am a big believer in the gut feeling. Listen to your gut feeling and you will know what to do - take care of yourself as if you were your best friend. What would you tell a best friend to do?

Sojo, it is eerie to me how similar my experience with my college BF was to what you described. I was so deeply in love with him, hoped to marry him...and then things degenerated into a sort-of breakup, but we would meet up on pseudo-dates, and it was so excruciating and then he ended up having a brief relationship with a "friend" of mine who had been a confidante, and who then confided that he was too keen on her, could I give her some advice? [I HAD some advice but it was not very polite!:lol: ] And of course I should have just pulled back and gone on with my own life. Ironically had I done so he probably would've come running back to me. Live and learn!:)

Ellis is right, that girl probably has a little hidden agenda and might be a tad jealous of you.

A big hug for you! Lidian

Punkinseed
01-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Blessed Friday eve... one more day!

Man it's been a long week.... I appreciate all of your compliments on my attitude towards what's happening. I guess I really did learn something in my divorce - normally I wouldn't be so rational about these things - but, this time, I'm just *so* ok with it all, regardless of how it turns out... yea, it's freaky, even to me! Hey, maybe this is what it's like being a grown up!!! :chin:

Ellis - I heard about your cold weather on our news today! I can't believe we're getting rain and temps in the 50's, when it should be in the teens or 20's! Bundle up - wish you were closer, I'd send you all my crocheted blankets! Think Spring.... :flow1:

Squeak - I'm afraid Ellis, Sojo and Lidian have spoken all the words of wisdom. I think it's too soon to meet this girl - and I also agree that she wants to meet you to "size you up" so to say. 6 months is nuthin' when it comes to a relationship. Why put yourself through the heartache... if he was going to marry her and you knew you were going to be *stuck* with dealing with her then yes, meet her and make some sense of peace. But my God, why torture yourself needlessly? You can be his friend without having to meet or approve of every girl he decides to see. If he is a commited, caring friend, he'll understand. Rule #1 - Take care of YOU.

Well... toodles for now. :wave:

Terri

soozie
01-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey girls...I've been awol. Been really busy with work and have been fighting another virus! Yuck. Third one this winter. going to see my doctor today to say...yo, what's up with this. Why am I getting every virus that comes down the pike. Of course, two I think I got from my gorgeous adorable nephew. I love that downy soft head and those big eyes and the way he snuggles...but, I might have to tell my sister that I can't babysit for him anymore...he is a little germ factory.

I've kept my new year's resolution about going to the gym...so far! I have a new trainer and she really is motivating me. I like her alot.

My weight is at 176 which is a new low point!

And I'm getting pretty buff...my biceps are beautiful. My belly is so much smaller I can't believe it. I really want to keep going with my health goals.
However today I woke up feeling really lousy...fell asleep in the kid's bed at 9:30pm or so and slept through the night...woke up feeling queasy and achey...

Well ,enough of that whining!
I'll check in tomorrow.
Love you girlies
and Squeak...I agree with Ellis and Sojo...I wouldn't want to meet the girlie at this point. Follow your gut. You don't want to see them in the same room right now and you don't have to. She may be a passing fancy. Then it would be a waste of your time and energy. If she sticks around there will be plenty of time to get to know her in the future. In the meantime do what works for you... and don't feel obligated to meet her if you don't feel like doing it this time.

Soozie

Merrylegs
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Squeak...hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents worth...listen to these girls...they are right on the money. I spent *nine* years torturing myself with an exboyfriend who I wanted to stay friends with...and got to meet a procession of current girlfriends. Ate me up everytime. As they say, people come into your life for a reason, for a season, or for a lifetime. Friendships can be fabulous...but often they aren't meant to last forever. A year after I stopped "being friends" with exBF, I met my forever friend, who is now my DH.

Just my thoughts...

Ruthxxx
01-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Well, I've never looked back at any relationship once it's over. Time to move on, Sweet Squeak. Remember, I'm 64 years old and know what I'm talking about - most of the time.

~~~~ just an old fartess opinion! ~~~~

dentrassi
01-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Terri-You have such a great attitude!! Things will work out for the best.

Squeak-I have to agree with Ellis, Sojo, Lidian, Virginia, Soozie and Merry. That girl could be around for a few months or a lifetime. Why torture yourself over something that may not last? And if it does, there is always going to be time to meet her later. But ONLY if you want to. We are NOT trying to be know it alls, but we have been through it...I had a relationship similar to Sojo's in college too. And it took MOVING ON to get where i am now....with my best friend and the love of my life!! Take care of YOURSELF.

Soozie-WOW!! Good for you!! You are doing great with the exercise and weight loss! Sounds like life is going great for you right now aside from the viruses. One way to look at it.....you have now caught all (or most) of the viruses going around, so once you are BETTER there is nothing left to catch!!!

I've been AWOL lately too. Having a rough time, but trying to get it back together......

dentrassi
01-23-2003, 12:43 PM
HI RUTH!!!!! We were posting at the same time!!

Ruthxxx
01-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Hey, Den! I wondered why I didn't show as last post.
Now that I have my new PC, I can read Marmite on your avatar and don't have to guess it by the shape.
Sorry you've been having a rough time. Sending smiles and hugs your way.

Lidian
01-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi Soozie, sorry to hear you were sick again but congrats on the weight loss and getting all that muscle! Good for you! You have inspired me to go lift a few weights and do some pushups right now!:) I am not very good at sticking to the lifting, I'm afraid.

Ruth, your computer must be fabulous - I KNOW Den has a Marmite jar there but it is very blurry on my screen!

Terri, I agree with everyone - your attitude is so amazing! You are truly an inspiration.:)

Den, so sorry things are rough right now for you. I'm sending you a big hug too. Feel free to vent if you think it might help...we're here.

Love to you all, Lidian

ellis
01-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Good grief! What's with all the posting the last couple of days?! Talk about rising from the dead. :lol:

I made the mistake of leaving my cocoon today. I just blew a couple of hundred bucks on paint for my new pantry plus a bunch of other stuff that I probably don't need. It sure kept me away from food though! I wonder if I'd lose weight if I got to spend a couple of hundred every day. :yes:
I was going to paint the pantry white, but I saw this great colour... Bok Choi! I'm going to buy shelves for the pantry tomorrow. And a little fold-out-from-the-wall table, and two stools for the kids to eat their breakfast on. And a picture frame for a very dirty/rude/funny print that an artist friend of mine gave me for Christmas. :D HEY!! That's where I'll hang it!! In the pantry!!

I can see the marmite jar, but I can't figure out what MY avatar is! Is it a fat woman holding a scale? What's with her arms? Is she also gripping a crystal ball?

Soozie, congratulations on the weight! You're doing great, hon! Listen, you haven't been taking the cider vinegar I prescribed. 1 tsp in a glass of water twice a day. Nobody believes me, but it works! (ummm, except for stomach flu)

Terri, it's a little warmer today. I think it's only -24 right now, which is 15 degrees warmer than yesterday. It's pretty balmy out. :rolleyes: I'd LOVE to have your cozy afghans right around now. :)

Den, love and hugs, sweetie! :grouphug:

Congrats on the new computer, old fart! ;)

For anyone interested in seeing my new print, here's the link. :D

http://www.artengine.ca/elizagriffiths/linos/print03.htm

Merrylegs
01-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Ellis, you can call it your porn pantry:lol:

ellis
01-23-2003, 04:19 PM
ooo la la! I LIKE that! :lol:

Wanttolosealot
01-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Nice pic Ellis! Yeah porn pantry sounds real good. Get that sexy hubby of yours to help get it up. The PRINT I mean!!! What were you dirty minded people thinnking.

Sojourner
01-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Wowee... that is a great print... it will certainly be a conversation piece!

ellis
01-24-2003, 07:15 AM
It makes me giggle every time I read the caption. :D
My poor daughter... she said, "Thank goodness it's not red... you'd probably hang it in the living room!" :lol: She's right.

I don't know how pleased she's going to be to find it in the pantry where her breakfast table is. ;)

squeaker
01-24-2003, 08:06 AM
I meant to come in her yesterday but, it was the littlest sis' 16th birthday. :)

Thank you very much for your opinions Sojo, Ellis, Virginia, Lidian, Terri, Soozie, Merry, Ruthxxx, and Den. I wanted opinions even if you think you sound like know-it-alls, an old fart, or think you will stick your foot in your mouth (which you didn't ellis ;)) It gave me a lot to think about. At this time I don't think I am going to meet the chick. She wouldn't be the only one with ulterior motives. I knew if I did, I would spend a lot of the time comparing myself to her, which wouldn't turn out good no matter what.

Plus I think if I did go, one of my dear friends here would try and nail my feet to the floor first. I didn't even finish telling her all of it and I got a very stern "NO!"

And I have noticed that being there for him all of the time, tends to get me over looked and taken for granted. At least until something really bad happens, then I am told I am appreciated.

Enough of that. :p

Ellis- I LOVE that print. I think it is great. I liked the one that I think was called "The Couch". There were a few other of the other collections that were pretty cool too.

A new computer sounds like fun Ruthxxx. I love mine too much to part with it. (And you are not an old fart :p)

Sending get better hugs to Den.

:cb: Woo Hoo Soozie! You are kickin' butt. And welcome back again.

Thank you all again! I really do appreciate all of you and all of your stories and advice. :grouphug:

Punkinseed
01-24-2003, 10:06 AM
It's Friday, Friday, Friiiiidaaaaaay!!!! :cb:

Woke up to the sound of rain this morning and did NOT want to get out of bed! I love that sound.... :rain:
Two things would make this weekend perfect: Freddies finally getting my feather bed in stock and the Oakland Raiders LOSING the Super Bowl... :crossed:

Soozie - Good ta see ya again!!! Sorry you've been sick, but it sounds like you're doing a maaaahvelous job working out!!

Ellis - I think having money is the secret to most thin celebrities. I know I'd think about food less if I had a bottomless checking account and could do whatever I wanted. There'd be a lot less time sitting on my butt on the couch and a lot more time sprinting around various malls!
Oh, and *love* the print! Wonder what the kids will think once they realise that's going to be what they look at while eating breakfast!.... :lol:

Squeak - I think you've made a good decision... the most important thing is to take care of yourself.

Toodles for now,

Terri

dentrassi
01-24-2003, 10:42 AM
YAY SQUEAK!!!!!! You know we'd love you no matter WHAT you decided, but I do think you made the right decision. There are certain things that evewn GOOD friends shouldn't ask! Plus, I think a lot of us in here need to LEARN to say "NO" more often!! It is something I'm still working on!!

Ellis-LOVE THAT PRINT!!! I think I'd be pointing to it and telling DH "It's time..." too much if it were here though!!!

Thanks to ALL of you for your good wishes. I'm hoping things here will calm down soon!!!

Ruth-We had to shrink the image so much that I can barely read it either!! Your monitor must be GREAT!!!

Ruthxxx
01-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Holy Moley re the print! My monitor is really good! Am I wrong or does she still have her panties on?

dentrassi
01-24-2003, 06:37 PM
HEY! That way you don't need a condom!! (snicker)

mauvaisroux
01-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Gee- I am awol for a few days and so much has happened!

Den- I hope things get better for you :)

Squeak- I agree with the rest of the Chickies and I think you made the right decision for yourself. If this thing turns out to be long term then you can meet her if you choose.

Soozie- Congratulations girl! :dancer:

Ellis- "bok choi" ? I knew that was a vegetable, didn't know it was a colour! :lol: Your pantry sounds great and that picture would certainly wake you up more than morning coffee! ;)

Sojo- have fun on your trip!

ellis
01-25-2003, 07:26 AM
I don't KNOW if she has panties on, Ruth. I wasn't LOOKING down there! snicker.

Den, hope you're doing better, hon! :grouphug:

Terri....RAIN!?!? RAIN!?!? Good lord!! What I wouldn't give to hear rain on my roof! Well, I have something to be grateful for... I don't live in Newfoundland! Those poor dears... what a dump of snow they're getting this year! You'd think it would just blow right off the island...

Squeak, I'm glad you've got a good friend there to tell you to say "NO!". Hang in there, sweetie! Come and get us when you need us...
Yes, I like that painting of the two on the couch, too. It's called "The Lesson". Eliza's stuff (apart from the hilarious paintings she does for the covers of romance novels) has a LOT of underlying tension in it.

We had our dear friend Jim over for whiskey and dessert last night. I walked him home to see his newly aquired foldable kayak!! It is so cool!! I want one! It fits into two bags.
http://www.folbot.com/Aleut.htm

Mauvais, how did you feel about your interview? A friend of mine looks upon interviews as mere learning experiences. He used to go to them regularly to "practice". :lol:

Picked up my picture frame yesterday. I hope it's the right size. It's still in the car. I was just too darned cold to carry it in. And I got the two stools for the pantry. That Ikea... my girlfriend and I went to pick up my shelves, and the darned things were so heavy we could barely lift them! Not wanted to cause damage to my friend's back, I decided to leave them for another day with DH.
Why on earth couldn't they put them in TWO boxes to make them more managable?!
No matter... I really should paint the room before putting up shelves. :D
I've decided that; instead of white for the moldings, I'm going to paint them a dark chili-pepper red. The two colours look great together! (oh geez... another green and red room... I think I need analyzing...)

Punkinseed
01-27-2003, 10:53 AM
:wave:

Hello everyone....

Had an ok weekend - pretty quiet, more rain (yes Ellis, rain!) and confirmed with my Dad when I'm going to Yuma. *sigh* March.... it's just around the corner!!!! Oh well, I'll go, get it outta the way and get home to enjoy the rest of the year without him nagging me on the topic (love Dad, don't like flying, and can think of 50 other things to do with my vacation time).

Made a major decision this weekend too. I'm trading in my car. It's only a 2000, but at 16,000 they had to put in a new tranny, which is still not quite right and now I'm smelling burning oil (it has 28k on it) and they're telling me it's my imagination :rolleyes:. I'm also tired of the stick shift. So, before my warranty is up, it's going bu-bye. Thank God I put $5k down on it and my payoff is a load less than the trade in value....
Looking forward to new wheels!!! :cb:

Well, that's the "excitement" of my weekend.... :lol:

Terri

squeaker
01-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Terri - A new car. That is exciting. Where is Yuma though?

Ellis - A foldable boat seems very cool, but somehow I would be terrified it would leak. Not that I would ever voluntarily get into a kayak no matter what. I am just a big chicken. And your house sounds lovely. :)

Mauvais - How did the interview go? When do you hear any news? I always found the prospect of a new job is exciting and scary.

Den - You are right, saying "No" is so difficult. It seems much easier to say "Yes", even if it puts me in a worse situation. But I feel so gulity and awful if I am not there or let down someone.

But I need to put me first once and awhile. About the only good thing is the hurt, and other assorted emotions that have resurfaced I am trying to funnel into constructive things, like cleaning and excercise. Thank you all for all of the support. I do appreciate it and you girls, when I am in need of support and otherwise. :grouphug:

:wave: Hello to the rest of the chickes!

Punkinseed
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
:mouse: - Yuma is in Arizona. Affectionately called the armpit of the U.S. (as in hot n' sweaty beyond belief). My Dad, for whatEVER reason possessed him, moved there 5 years ago.

...lucky me. Well, at least I may finally get to go to Mexico - he lives about 20 minutes from the border.

Terri

ellis
01-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Terri, a new car!! How exciting!! :dance: Ummm, where the heck is Yuma? oh.... I see your post. Hmmm, sounds a little hot to me. NOT that I'm in any position to complete about WARMTH right now!! But you'll see your Dad... that'll be nice. Won't it? :D

Squeak... you're EXERCISING?! You're kidding?!!? I'm impressed!
And listen, it's important also not to let YOURSELF down!! Remember that! hugs sweetie...

Going to Ikea with my sister tonight to hopefully pick up the shelves. Poor girl thinks we're just going for fun, heh heh.

love to all!

mauvaisroux
01-27-2003, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone! :wave:

The interview went really well although there was a typing test before it that was nerve wracking. If you didn't pass the test you didn't get an interview - no pressure there! :lol:

I think I did well and they asked for my references -but I won't know for 2-3 weeks -the wait is killing me!:stress: but I hope to get some good news :cb:

Terri-I envy you going somewhere warm - it was -38c with the wind chill today-Brrrr! I took the bus to work instead of walking!

Squeak-yay! You've started exercising-good on you! Now if only I could motivate myself-my excuse for not going swimming today at the gym was the weather-I didn't want to have to walk home with wet hair...(not a good excuse:o )

barefootgrrrl
01-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Hi All!

Good luck on the job Mauvais!

Terri - a new car - good for you! one thing though - can I ask you what kind yours is now? I try to steer (ok, yes a pun! LOL) away from the poor quality makers.

Have fun in Yuma! I've never been there - but anyplace warm sounds good right now! My boss's parents retired there, I gather the cost of living there is reasonable.

I like the new print Ellis.......:) I love Ikea - don't ask me why I just do! many of the houses we've been looking at have hardwood floors- some Ikea throw rugs maybe in order.

I hope all you Canadian chiquitas are staying warm, I've been worrying about you and Squeak and Den too........we're cold here in the mid-Atlantic, but I know it's not the same as up north.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get a break! hey~

I'm glad to see y'all are doing well. I've been busy since the new year - work is nuts and I've had to work on taxes and finances and house hunting and oh yeah! dieting! :)

I am cheerful despite the weather and all the bad news on TV day after day after day.

Love and Hugs to All - Terri

ellis
01-28-2003, 07:09 AM
Mauvais, I'm glad the interview went well! Don't stress about the wait... remember, if you don't get THIS job, there's another one waiting just around the corner for you. :yes:

Terrigrrrl, I'm sorry you've got so much on the go right now. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon.
I like Ikea because it's cheap and fairly funky. :D We have hardwood floors... I love them. In fact, we got rid of our living room rug and just have the bare floors in the living and dining rooms. We got some good sisal rugs for our bedroom at Ikea, and they still look brand new after four years.

Listen, it's going up to -3 on Saturday. Bikini weather.

Punkinseed
01-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Hey guys,

Talked to my Dad last night - I'm not even there yet and I wanna go hide in my room. He and his wife were questioning why my ticket is so much more ($80) than her sons when he visits (same airports) and after explaining 3x that it was because of the 6 hour layover in L.A. for my business meeting - I gave up. I also couldn't get out of him how much he plans on helping with the cost of this $300 ticket (he said he would help). I'm getting peeved - since it's not just the ticket price for me, but also $100 in gas to get to the airport. :mad: Grrrrrr..... can't wait for this to be over.

Ellis - Sure, can't wait to see my Dad. Love him to death, but I think I'm happy with just talking on the phone every week.... (ask me again when I don't want to rip off his mustache)

Mauvais - Good luck on the job interview. It does sound like it went well. If anything, I'd think all the posting we do helps with typing skills! :lol:

Terrrrrri - Right now I have a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara. LOVE my car, but it's had some problems - first model years tend to not be the best. They're built by the same people, in the same factory, as the Chevy Trackers. From others that I've talked to with the same car, and the research I've done, it appears that I'm the "lucky" one and my problems have been very, very rare. I always joke that the Friday night crew built my car. :rolleyes:

My Mom and stepfather both bought cars last weekend - a 2003 Ford Expedition and a 2003 Ford 150 pickup (gives the illusion that we've got money doesn't it? :lol: ) and they're trying to get me to get a Ford too - but the SUV I want is a bit outta my price range. We'll see....

Off to de-stress,
Terri

Wanttolosealot
01-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I hate cars, and especially hate Canadian Tire!
I went in to get my brakes fixed and car safetyinspected. They called me and asked if I was sure i wanted to get everything done as it was going to cast me $750. I think at that point I swore something very nasty and told them NO!
I took it to a garage directly up at the top of the street from my house, and for $250 dollars cheaper and he even found more actually wrong with it, oil change, tire balancing and the works, plus he is allowing me to make a lump sum payment and then so much a month after that without interset. I said God bless you, thanked him over and over again. Man, owning a car can really suck. But not owning one sucks even more. I am so independent with my own car now.
Anyway, enough ranting!
Take care everyone and stay warm.
Virginia:dizzy:

squeaker
01-28-2003, 10:01 PM
I need to find one of these Ikea stores you girls keep talking about. There are none around here. They sound interesting.

And I wouldn't get too excited about my excercising. It is only about 15 minutes and so far it was only one day. I am going to try again today. I did move a lot of furniture over the weekend, does that count?

dentrassi
01-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Squeak-Keep practicing!! The more you say "no" the easier it gets!!!:lol:
Glad to hear that you are exercising too!! Hope that exercise is contagious, because I need to start too!!!

Ellis- We don't have Ikea here, and from the sounds of it I wish we did!!.

Mauvais-Sounds like the interview went well, hope you get an offer!!!

Virginia-Been there done THAT!!! I know exactly what you mean...love the freedom, hate the upkeep!!!

"HI!!" to everyone!!!!

ellis
01-29-2003, 06:54 AM
Ah, Terri... parents! Stress!! My sympathies, hon. All I can say is, be thankful you live so far away from your sweet Dad. My Mom; whom I love dearly but causes me a great amount of stress, lives but 35 minutes away from us. And then there's my mother-in-law, who lives FIVE minutes away!! :rolleyes:
We're on our second Suzuki, and we've been really happy with both of them. knock knock.

Virginia, I'm glad you got a better deal in getting your car fixed! Haven't had car troubles for a few years, but I clearly remember some nasty situations. Like our first car... the clutch "went" on what we now call "Heartbreak Hill". :D

Squeak, ANY amount of exercise is great!! Even 10 minutes is enough to get your heart rate up. And according to Mauvais, moving furniture counts. :yes:

Yeah, Den. Get off your bum and start exercising. Squeak is a devoted non-exerciser, so if she can do it, so can you!

You're kidding... no Ikea? It's the middle income earner's decorating salvation.

Punkinseed
01-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Aaaah... the joys of adulthood.... ya know, I had a revelation last night - something that may help me put at least part of a finger on my life-long poor eating. Everyone says we eat (for the most part) to cover up something or to not feel something - self medicating. Well, last night, as I'm thinking about my trip - justifying the price of the ticket to my Dad, etc. I had this overwhelming urge to binge. I didn't, but what I did say out loud to myself is "Jeeezus, I'm 33 year years old and it's time I quit being so damned afraid of upsetting my Dad. If he's unhappy with a decision I've made, or what I'm doing, then *tough*". Whew... crap I'm almost crying just typing that - hmmmm... think I've got some issues here????? :chin:
Maybe this trip is exactly what I need - a chance to spend time in his territory, but be completely myself - a chance to learn to disagree with my Dad - I never have, even when I completely disagree with him. I'll be damned if I'm going to be uncomfortable, or walk on eggshells for 2 1/2 days. I'm too old and far too independant of him to play these games anymore.
~rant over~

Virginia - Ooooh, yea, mechanics are a joy aren't they?? My family owns a company that does onsite mechanic service in CA. Sometimes I think we're the ONLY reputable company around (I do the billing so I'd know!). I'm sorry you encountered a looser - but so happy you found a good guy - stick with him!

Squeak - I definately think moving furniture is exercise! I also agree that *any* movement is better than none at'all.

Ellis - Ok, I guess I'll break down and go to the Ikea store in Seattle with my friend next year.... she's been saving for a big ol' shopping trip.

Time to go devour my Special K Red Berries :T

Terri

ellis
01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Terri, you dear girl... you are EXACTLY like me!! I'm NEVER myself around my parents! I'm sickly sweet with my Mom because I don't want to hurt her feelings (even though she dumps on me all the time and drives me to nervous breakdowns), and I'm always trying to live up to some "standard" with my Dad, and I take forever in considering my words before I speak to him.
I'm so proud of you for coming to that realization! Stick to your plan! Be yourself around your Dad. Surprise him. He probably doesn't even know "who" you really are! What the ****... he may even LIKE you! :lol: And if he doesn't, who cares! You like yourself, and WE sure as **** like you!! :yes:
It's not your duty to be someone else for your Dad's sake. Stomp on those eggshells!!
Hugs, hon...
:grouphug:

Wanttolosealot
01-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Terri,
Listen to the wise Ellis. She is a wealth of wisdom, and so right. We sure as **** do like you and want only the best for you as I am sure your family does.
Hugs
Virginia

dentrassi
01-29-2003, 09:30 PM
YUP!! And even if it causes a bit of friction sometimes it is SO cool when you realize they like you for YOURSELF. I have started being a real smartass with my Dad, and he practically GIGGLES when I do it!!

soozie
01-30-2003, 02:39 AM
Hey girls. oh, I'm sick as a dog! Got the funky eye infection virus and then the sinus infection that I had had for so long and never went on antibiotics for came back. So, I have pink eye in both eyes and a sinus infection and had a high fever and chills and aches....yuck. Feeling alittle better now. Slept alot today. Talked my doctor into giving me an antibiotic yesterday. Took two days to convince her that I did need one and I wasn't just contributing to antibiotic resistant diseases and needlessly taking medication for a virus. I figured as sick as I've been there had to be some nasty bacteria in here somewhere screwing things up and running me down so all of those yucky viruses could invade and take up residence. This better be the last of the sickness!

Since I've been sick this time I've been eating odd stuff and not exercising and I'm up three pounds but I do feel confident that it will come right off again when I'm feeling better. Meanwhile I missed work all week and I'm staying home tomorrow and Friday. Not fair to miss work, not make any money, and not do anything but sit around feeling awful.

Enough moaning and groaning. Hope you are all well.
Love, Soozie

ellis
01-30-2003, 07:30 AM
Oh Soozie... you poor girl. You sound terrible! I had a year like that once... caught every damned germ going around and was sick forever. Just think... you're building up your immune system. ;) Soon you'll be tough and resistant to all kinds of crap.
I'm glad you've got some anti-biotics. You just bundle yourself up and get cozy and get well!! If we were closer, we'd come and nurture you. (Naturally we'd be wearing masks and gloves.)
love and hugs, sweetie...
:grouphug:

soozie
01-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Ellis, you are the sweetest. I could picture you now with the mask and gloves...snuggling me in a blanket and administering chicken soup! Lowfat, lowsalt of course!

I'm feeling a bit better today but I'm taking so much medication...Tylenol, Motrin, Nasonex, my antidepressant, my ADD med, the antibiotic, two different eye drops...goodness! so much for living the nature life! ;)

I know I'm feeling alittle better today because I'm feeling like doing some arts and crafts...:lol: I want to finish the photo album (scrap book) that I've been working on for DD's godmother. It is almost finished. For the past few days I haven't had the energy to even think about doing anything but resting.

I did have the opportunity? to view American Idol this week. I'm never home when those goofy programs are on the tube. Always working in the evening. I really enjoyed it...so silly and fun.

Oh well, love to you all! Stay warm.
and ps, this past Saturday...even though I already had the eye infection but I didn't have the fever yet...I took my daughter ice skating on our lake. It was so
beautiful and so much fun. A bunch of our neighbors were out there. We had a ball...drank hot cocoa...fell on our rear ends...

We don't often have this long a cold spell and the lake is really frozen solid, so it is one really nice thing about the frigid temperatures. I hope that I am well enough to go out this weekend and skate some more with my DD. She really enjoyed herself. Was really scared at first but quickly felt more comfortable and gave our neighbors son a lecture about how falling is "a part of growing up" and that it is "okay to fall".

Therapist's daughter no doubt!
Love, Soozie

dentrassi
01-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Glad to hear that you have had some fun with your family in between illnesses!!! Hope you are better (and STAY better) soon!!

Wanttolosealot
01-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Soozie
I sure hope you get feeling better soon hun. You have had a really bad winter so far. Hope the rest is great. Does sound like you are able to have some fun though, thats great. Wish I was closer so I could give you a hand. Take care, chicken noodle soup! Yum and works great.
Virginia

Lidian
01-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Soozie, hope you feel better SOON! Take good care of yourself!

Oh Terri, Ellis is so right about the whole parental thing. I know exactly what you mean. I am in a constant lowgrade panic around my dad, and even though intellectually I realize that I am my own woman and what do I care what he thinks...I care what he thinks! He is never satisfied with the way I look - now that I am acceptably thin (but he thinks I am going too overboard of course) now he is bugging me about my hair, and keeps telling me how he knows someone who supposedly has lost a bunch of hair due to (he says) dyeing it, and I shouldn't dye mine, and by the way he noticed I have dark roots (well, that's cuz I'm not dyeing it! can't win!). And my late mother was the same. I think he has taken over from her. She always used to give me a look and say "are you going out like that?" [I was planning to, yes- that is why I have this outfit on! Duh!] I feel about 12 around my father, and me 40 yrs old and with 2 kids & a DH & a messy house of my own! D***!

I wish you all the best on your trip -- I'll be thinking of you! And it WILL end and you can be at home & that will be cool! The only time I really appreciate my lil house is when we get back from my dad's and I go YIPPEE! I'M HOME!:lol:

Virginia, I hate cars too! And I hate winter driving! And scraping the ice off the inside of the windows. Ugh.

Lidian

soozie
01-31-2003, 08:09 PM
virginia, Lidian, and Den, thanks for the get wells girls. feeling a little bit better today. Eyes still funky! But, getting there.

Working on the scrapbook...may finish tonight. Wow! One project will be finished! can't believe it!

Love, Soozie