Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Breaking A Plateau, Help!!

So, my weight has been between 200.2 and 204.5 for the past couple months... I weigh a few times a day. It's so bad that I'm starting to wonder if my scale just doesn't register below 200lbs!!!

Heres my workout regime:

45min to 2hrs of cardio everyday.
100 lunges daily.
100 sit ups daily.
50 push ups daily.

Dietary:

between 1100-1500 calories a day... admittedly poorly spaced, sometimes only a 200 calorie snack then a 1300 calorie dinner....

No soda, no chips, no candy. Low sodium. Nothing fried.

I'm drinking between 1 and 2 liters of water or green tea everyday....

... Any suggestions??

I'm so frustrated, all I want is to break 200lbs... I feel stuck! It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to eat in hopes of seeing that number drop... I do, clearly, but its a battle with myself....
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #2  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

having been in a very similar place i think the 2 main things that is driving me through my plateau (which i have yet to brake) is 1) variety, make your body guess, give yourself some stuff your not used too and take away thnings u are, for me cutting bread was good for a while, but i bring it back, maybe your ody is used to what your doing.
2) keep going, as hard mentally as it is, give yourself a longer time frame then u want to loose it, eg i have given myself a 0.5lbs a week goal rather than the traditional 1-2 i think althoguh i work HARD my body metabolism has slowed so if i remain positive then maybe sheer persistance will get me through it.
good luck, ill keep reading see if i get any tips also
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/175/140

Height: 5'10"

Two things that I have found that have worked for me in the past. One, is drinking as much water (fluids) throughout the day but don't eat breakfast or lunch, then for dinner I have a large lean steak (preferably grilled), and a big salad with a light dressing of my choice (I prefer Ranch or Italian) and more water. (Big thing is no breads, or sugars) Typically I lose 1-2 lbs the next morning and then my weight loss continues from there.
The other thing that has worked well is an apple and water day, you eat apples (or sugar free apple sauce) and drink water all day and nothing else.....sounds silly but it's worked for me in the past.
Also I find that Oranges, white breads, and white sugars stall my weight loss. For my Mom it's Tomatoes, white breads and white sugars....I'm sure there are other things that stall my weight but I've not been able to pinpoint them yet.

Hope that helps,

Sarah
txladymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

You might not be eating enough calories. Sounds weird, right? With the amount of exercise that you are doing daily, it might not hurt to bump it up for a few weeks and see what happens. Check out this calculator -- it always helps me: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Last edited by Emme; 05-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Wow, that's a pretty cool site. I'm not calorie counting, but here's what it came up with for me:

Maintenance: 2750 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 2200 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 2120 Calories/day

That's a lot higher than I would have anticipated. That site also offers calorie cycling, which is what I hear works to break a plateau. For me, it would look like this:

Ex Fat Loss Fat Loss Maintain
Monday 2120 2120 2586
Tuesday 2120 2120 2120
Wednesday 2544 2544 3103
Thursday 2120 2120 2586
Friday 2120 2120 2328
Saturday 2332 2332 2845
Sunday 2120 2120 2586
*Calorie cycling provides same amount of calories per week, but 'tricks' your body by constantly changing daily calories. This helps to prevent or break plateaus. Guideline only.

I'm a creature of habit, so I know my body is going to settle into a rut. It's possible yours has too.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP916 View Post
Wow, that's a pretty cool site. I'm not calorie counting, but here's what it came up with for me:

Maintenance: 2750 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 2200 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 2120 Calories/day

That's a lot higher than I would have anticipated. That site also offers calorie cycling, which is what I hear works to break a plateau.
I know...it seems that we are conditioned to eat a minimal amount of calories to lose weight, but our body needs fuel every day! We can't eat a little, and then work out a ton, and lose weight without any fuel behind our exercise! When I started calorie counting I used that calculator and it gave me a range of 1700-2100 depending on what exercise amount I used, so I stuck with 1700-1850 which I thought was high, but I managed to lose almost a pound a week doing that.

Last edited by Emme; 05-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #7  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like you might need to increase your calories by a bit - you're putting your body through some pretty intense daily workouts, so 1100-1500 seems pretty minimal, especially if you're on the lower end of that range. Try to add some healthy calorie-dense snacks, such as a cup/half cup of lentils or beans with some light dressing or spices. The high fiber and protein always seem to kick-start my WL if i'm stalling for too long
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #8  

Many dieters fluctuate carb ratio causing the metabolism to grind to a hault - you have to get that metabolism rocking again with the analogous ratio of carb / weight. Hit the treadmill, up your complex carbs and include more protein to get that thyroid gland up to speed
myweightlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #9  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaTurnHeads View Post
rerkout regime:
45min to 2hrs of cardio everyday.
100 lunges daily.
100 sit ups daily.
50 push ups daily.

between 1100-1500 calories a day... admittedly poorly spaced, sometimes only a 200 calorie snack then a 1300 calorie dinner....
I have a few thoughts. It sounds like your metabolism and muscles are both in a rut. MIX IT UP to start the scale moving again.

Everyone is right, you need to increase calories in order to feed your body through workouts. The longer your cardio sessions last, the more calories you need.

Spread those calories thoughout the day. You've heard it forever, but here it is again - Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner - 300 - 400 calories each. Then add 2 - 3 "snacks" of around 200 calories based on protein and/or fruit. Cycle the calories up and down by 300-400 daily with weekly averages staying at goal. You could add an extra protein shake after a 2 hour workout! I've added Whey Protein shakes and I've finally broke through a month long plateau. And they really keep me full until my next meal. (Read about them on my blog.)

Along with this you should try mixing up your workout routine... Definitely more than 45 min daily, good thing there, and are you trying different cardio workouts? don't stick with the same thing every day. From what I've read, the muscles become used to a certain workout and refuse to give up the fat... so freak them out daily with different moves.

Do you belong to a gym? Try all of the machines to get a complete workout. At least 30 minutes daily on 5 or 6 different upper or lower body machines - every other day. If you don't belong to a gym, then use hand weights and work out with Exercise TV - use a different cardio w/ weight program for at least 30 min everyday.

Finally, massage and relax. Grab a bottle of olive oil, or African Hair/Skin oil (my favorite - smells great) and work on those muscles - ease the tension and release the fat! I massage the yucky fat too - who knows, it may help to break it up. The research is inconclusive on massage for weight loss - but I'm trying it. Feels great if nothing else!

Most importantly - DON'T GIVE UP! The weight WILL start to come off again.

Last edited by Gwen; 05-04-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote