Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #1  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Default Ok talk to me about post-csection exercise!

I had a very unplanned c-section and so I wasn't prepared for this obstacle in my recovery. I won't be doing a whole lot in the next 2-4 weeks anyway since I'm also recovering from pneumonia, but what are good ways to ease into exercise after a c-section?

I will be walking small distances and building my stamina and muscles slowly, but what else can I do? Maybe swimming? I have read too many horror stories online of incisions ripping open and nasty hernias developing because people ramp it up too quickly. My incision is pretty much healed, and it healed very clean! I'm happy about that, but I want to start getting my body healthy too!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

When is your post-partum appointment? I would ask them! I was cleared for any and all exercise I was comfortable doing at 6weeks PP (if I remember right!) I was doing some walking previous to that.

I'm 2 1/2 months post C-S now and I can finally do abdominal exercises/Yoga/fast walking etc. I tried running a few weeks ago but I felt sluggish/horrible etc. I cleaned up my diet and I'm going with fast walking/Yoga now and start running later...

I know someone that ripped her incision open from trying to do too much, pretty soon after her C/S. *SHUDDER*
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  
Baby bump to hot mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
When is your post-partum appointment? I would ask them! I was cleared for any and all exercise I was comfortable doing at 6weeks PP (if I remember right!) I was doing some walking previous to that.

I'm 2 1/2 months post C-S now and I can finally do abdominal exercises/Yoga/fast walking etc. I tried running a few weeks ago but I felt sluggish/horrible etc. I cleaned up my diet and I'm going with fast walking/Yoga now and start running later...

I know someone that ripped her incision open from trying to do too much, pretty soon after her C/S. *SHUDDER*
That's what I have been reading on Dr. Google!! Yikes!

I am only 3 weeks pp, so I still have 3 weeks till my appointment. I went to Target to find a post-natal pilates or yoga video last night but didn't see anything. I don't really want to do ab-work right now, but I want to do something gentle just to start getting things back in order.

I guess maybe just some strolling around the neighborhood for now will help? I don't want to push it or overdo it, but I don't want to sit around and be a darn slug anymore either.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Not a mama but I would definitely take it easy. There is plenty of time to exercise once you get all healed up. Better to wait because if you overdo it and bust something then you'll have to wait even longer to heal completely.

I second the idea of strolling around the neighborhood for now, maybe with some ankle weights as well? Now I wonder if a weighted vest would be okay but not sure, ehh. Definitely do some more research on weighted vests.

Congrats on your little one!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #5  
Baby bump to hot mama!

Thank you for the advice. It's now 4 weeks postpartum and I'm feeling pretty good where my incision is, but I'm still having a hard time breathing normally when doing things like unloading the dishwasher and switching the laundry.

I have a formal event coming up in 3 weeks, so I'm going to start some very light upper body toning, just with 3-pound weights and very slow and easy exercises. I realize it won't make much difference but doing something as opposed to doing nothing will make me feel better mentally about myself. I also ordered a post-csection pilates dvd that includes a segment for the first 6 weeks, and eases into a beginner/easy program for women recovering from a C. I'll let you guys know what I think about it. I hope to do this and light walking for several weeks, easing myself into more intense things little by little. I definitely will not overdo it, but I'd like to do little things each day to get my body used to the fact that I'm preparing to kick it's booty.